InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moving Up in the World ❯ Daffodils ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello! Okay quick authors note here: Yura is Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru's appointment manager sort of person. She takes calls and directs people into the right office. Kagura is Sesshoumaru's secretary and Jakken is his personal assistant. Hint: Inuyasha needs a secretary and a personal assistant too eventually we will mention these people. Okay also Kikyo is mentioned kinda but that does not mean it is a Kikyo/Inuyasha in fact it is not so don't get worried. And finally this story began as a pwp (plot what plot?) but now it seems to be developing one. Okay enjoy!

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha

Sesshoumaru sat at his desk. He was contemplating the upcoming merger's effects on the marketing department. He wasn't really getting anywhere with the paperwork. He looked up from his laptop's screen to see Jakken staring at him with his grubby little hands clasped beneath his chin giving him a look that would scare most small children and some adults. Jakken noticed Sesshoumaru looking at him and leaped at the opportunity to talk to his `master'

"Milord is there anything I can do for you?" he asked with the eagerness of a small child promised a toy at the end of a shopping trip.

"Why as a matter of fact Jakken there is." Sesshoumaru paused to see the toad mans eyes grow even larger than their normal hugeness. "I would like coffee from Starbucks." Sesshoumaru said.

"Well milord I'll run down to the 30th floor cafe and pick one up from the Starbucks there!" Jakken said as he jumped out of his chair.

"No." I stated quickly before he could leave. Jakken dropped like a stone from the position he had paused in midair and dropped to the floor in confusion.

"Whaaaaat?" Jakken floundered on the floor. "Then perhaps the one around the corner?" Jakken said with renewed confidence. Sesshoumaru was enjoying the comedy of Jakken's stupidity.

"No." Sesshoumaru said again as he watched Jakken's head smash against his desk in frustration. "I want it from the Starbucks 5 blocks from here. And I want you to make only left hand turns to come back. I find it improves the flavor. Oh and black with no sugar. Now go." Sesshoumaru said with a smirk gracing his emotionless mouth. *That should keep the toad out of sight the rest of the day* Sesshoumaru thought. Jakken scrambled out of the office. With Jakken out of the way Sesshoumaru turned the big screen TV, that was meant to show pie graphs and other company information, to the football game and leaned back in his chair. Hey, everybody needs a break.

Rin-------------------------------------------------------- ----------------- ---------------------

Rin stretched out on her bench. It wasn't really her bench but no one else sat on it so it might as well be. It had been a wonderful day for Rin. That morning she had been selling daises in the business district. It usually wasn't a very good place to sell flowers but Rin loved it there. She loved the gleaming buildings that were so tall they seemed to be a part of the sky. One day she hoped she would get to go to the top of one. She thought that if she was up there she might be able to reach a star and it could take her away to somewhere happy. But anyway she had a very successful day. A man had came up and asked her how could she smile. What did he mean how could she smile? A better question is why would she not be smiling. The sun was bright, the leaves were wonderful colors, and she got to look up at the beautiful buildings. After his strange question he bought ten flowers. That meant she had ten whole dollars! That meant she could eat for nearly two weeks! He was obviously a very important businessman judging by his expensive suit and briefcase, but she couldn't help but notice his beautiful golden eyes and silver hair.

Rin got up off her bench. She couldn't lounge around and daydream all day; she had work to be done. She walked down the sidewalk. She was in the public park. All homeless lived there. She turned the corner and saw her friend Toutousai he was an old homeless man she wasn't sure why he was there. He never seemed to have trouble finding food. He even shared some with her a lot. He says a growing young woman needs more food than an old man does. In fact she wondered sometimes if old Toutousai didn't just live at the public park because he wanted to.

"Ah! My dear young Rin! How fares you?" he asked while using his long hammer to grab Rin's attention. Sometimes he seemed somewhat crazy.

"Quite well Toutousai-san! I sold ten flowers this morning." Rin held up all ten fingers to add drama.

"Oh was it a fella? I bet it was that beautiful smile that drew him over!" he teased.

"Oh Toutousai-san don't tease me! You know a man wouldn't go for a homeless girl!" she laughed and gave him a light teasing push.

"My dear child, love can surpass more things than you will ever know." He said with a certain seriousness in the words and a twinkle in his eyes.

"Well Toutousai-san I must go and gather flowers for tomorrow morning." Rin said choosing to pass over his last comment.

"Maybe you should go back to the business district? Perhaps you will have a repeating customer?" Toutousai said with unreadable intent.

"Oh no Toutousai-san, my customer today was a very classy businessman, I'm sure he just pitied me." Rin looked at the ground in shame.

"No need to look at the ground dear, your soul has more value than every businessman's in Tokyo combined." He said.

"Have a nice day Toutousai-san! Thanks for talking with me!" Rin said as she walked slowly away from him.

"Sweet girl...though perhaps a little dumb." Toutousai muttered to himself as she left.

Rin walked out of the public park. She walked through the restaurant area of town and remembered she could afford to buy something to eat. She looked around and was pleasantly surprised to see Kohaku's restaurant was just across the street. Kohaku was orphaned a while back and know he looked after their family's restaurant while his sister worked for the West Oni Company to provide a stable income. Kohaku sometimes gave Rin and the other homeless people free food or discounts. She walked in and was greeted eagerly by Kohaku.

"Rin! How may I help you today?" he asked as he placed some menus back in their holder.

"I'll take a club sandwich and I'll pay full price!" she proudly beamed.

"Oh no, no Rin its on the house for the customer who has the best smile!" he declared as he posted the order in the kitchen.

"Kohaku! You don't have to do that! I actually have money today."

"No Rin I don't have to do it but I won't accept your money."

"Thank you sooo much Kohaku!" she said as he handed her the sandwich. "I'd love to stay and talk but I really must get going I have things to do."

"Fine but take a soda and chips on your way out. Also... be careful." He said seriously

"Thank you again, and you know I always am." She flashed him one last smile and walked out holding a feast of a sandwich, chips and a soda.

Sesshoumaru------------------------------------------------- ---------------- --------------

The game had ended. His team lost. Now what should he do? Jakken wouldn't be back for quite some time. He reached across his desk and fingered one of the daises from the girl. Where did she get the flowers anyway? Especially in the fall. Its not like he was very familiar with the habits of flowers but he didn't think they grew as much in fall. He wondered once again if she would return tomorrow. Why was she still on his mind?

"Sesshoumaru darling! Someone is here to see you!" Kagura said over the intercom. "Maybe after you deal with him we can have lunch?"

Sesshoumaru sighed deeply and reached over and pressed the button on the intercom to reply.

"Don't call me darling. Send them in and no."

"You're no fun! I was just..." he turned off the intercom before she could say anymore. The door opened and a man walked in.

"Hello Mr. Takashi... My name is Narraku." The man said with evil dripping off his words. "May I call you Sesshoumaru?" he asked giving Sesshoumaru a very evil smirk.

"No." Sesshoumaru said raising his eyebrow in suspicion. "What brings you here Mr. Narraku?" he said keeping his tone ice cold.

"I have come to offer my services." Narraku said diplomatically.

"May I ask what those services are?" Sesshoumaru said quickly growing impatient.

"I offer many different services for large companies. I can help hide certain assets from the IRS or perhaps find ways to alleviate certain... laws..." Narraku explained.

"Well Mr. Narraku it sounds like we here at West Oni have no need for your type of services at this time...or for that matter any other. Please show yourself out." Sesshoumaru decided quickly.

"You will regret this!" Narraku shouted as he stood up and slammed his fists on Sesshoumaru's desk.

"Security." Sesshoumaru said coolly into the intercom. Koga, Sesshoumaru's security guard, entered and pinned Narraku's arms behind his back and pulled him out.

"You'll be sorry!!!" Narraku shouted as he was being dragged out of the office.

"I doubt it." Sesshoumaru stated coolly.

Rin------------------------------------------------------- ------------------ ---------------------

It was nearly sunset and Rin was nearly at her destination. She looked around and saw the concrete steps she was looking for. She was in a wooded area now but she new if she went this way she would end up in the back of lady Kikyo's property. Lady Kikyo was a renowned businesswoman, and she also had one of the best gardens in Tokyo. Rin reached the tall fence and employed her secret; she climbed the old tree that had a branch that stretched over the fence. Rin dropped off its gnarled branch and headed off to the greenhouse. Rin didn't like stealing, but she had too and she made sure to take blooms that were out of sight. She entered the green house and saw no one was there. The daffodils were in full bloom! She bent down and breathed their delicate fragrance. Yes, these were perfect. She picked about 15 of them and left quickly.

She had reached her area of town again and was feeling more at home. She entered the public park and looked at all the homeless people settling for the night. They had spread tarps over benches and set up boxes to sleep in out of the cold and rain. She walked past them, waving at the occasional friend. She saw her box and brought her armful of daffodils over to it. She had a nice box; it was from a washing machine so it was large. She covered it with a bright blue tarp to keep the rain from ruining it. Inside she kept broken vases and water jugs so she could keep her flowers fresh and help them bloom. She also kept dried flowers inside to make it smell nice and because she loved flowers.

She put the daffodils in fresh water and left her box once more to go to the stream to bathe. The stream was the best place to bathe even though it was cold. She hopped in and scrubbed quickly so she wouldn't catch a cold. Once she was done she grabbed her dirty clothes and put them on. Maybe she would get some new clothes with her ten dollars? She could probably get something real nice at Salvation Army.

She walked down the park's path back to her box to eat her food and go to bed. That way she could get an early start tomorrow. She got to her box and opened her bag from Kohaku's. She ate the sandwich but saved the chips and soda for breakfast. Then she grabbed the worn blanket she still had and curled up for the night.

Sesshoumaru------------------------------------------------ ----------------- -----------------

The sun was setting and Sesshoumaru still had barely done any work. This was unusual for him but he didn't worry about it. He would make up for it tomorrow.

"Can we go already?" Sesshoumaru recognized Inuyasha's voice over the intercom.

"Well maybe if you did any work around here we could leave earlier." Sesshoumaru stated coolly over the intercom.

"When can we go?" Inuyasha asked gruffly.

"Now, so go get you stuff and meet me at the car...hurry I won't wait for you."

"Feh." Was all Inuyasha said.

Sesshoumaru grabbed his jacket and briefcase and then he paused and looked over at the daises. What should he do with them? He decided to take them home so that way no clients would see them and think he actually liked flowers. He took them and headed out the door.

"Sesshy? Who are those flowers for? Are you cheating on me?!" said kagura as he walked through her secretarial area.

*sweat drop* "It's none of your business and I cant be cheating on you because I am not seeing you in the first place." He stated coolly

"Would you like to be?" she said seductively and leaned onto her desk.

"No." he said and walked out ending their conversation.

"Damn..." Kagura said to the empty room.

Sesshoumaru continued into his and Inuyasha's lobby/waiting room only to be harassed by Yura.

"Sesshoumaru! Make sure you condition tonight! And when you condition be sure to turn the water temperature down because hot water takes all the moisture away." Yura said while waving a hairbrush at him. "Brush it a lot because that spreads the natural oils!"

"Uh...sure." He said and dashed out before she could offer any more creepy hair advice.

He punched the elevator button and waited for it to rise 75 floors which it did rather quickly since it was top of the line. He entered and saw the boy who worked it become rigid at the sight of him.

"T-the l-lobby sir?" Shippo asked as he visibly shook.

"Yes." Sesshoumaru said. He was proud that even holding daises he could strike fear in the heart of people. They finally reached the main lobby and Sesshoumaru stepped out of the elevator.

"Have a nice day sir." Myoga said as he walked out the front door.

Sesshoumaru was finally outside. Free of that retched building. He looked across the street to where the girl had been standing but he quickly shook his head and told himself to stop thinking of her. He would probably never see her again anyway. He turned toward the parking space to see Inuyasha already leaning against the silver Lexus.

"What took ya?" Inuyasha asked.

"Nothing" Sesshoumaru said as he pulled his car keys out and clicked the doors open.

"What's up with the flowers?" Inuyasha asked as he got in the backseat.

"None of your business." Sesshoumaru said with extra ice in his voice.

"Fine." Inuyasha said as he leaned back and yanked out his gameboy.

They drove the rest of the way in silence. After about twenty minutes the silver Lexus pulled into a long shaded drive and then parked in front of a large mansion. Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha got out and went inside.

"Hello boys! How did work go today?" said Inutaisho as he greeted them at the door.

"Great!" said Inuyasha as he embraced his father.

"Fine." Sesshoumaru said with his usual emotionless tone.

"Sesshoumaru are those flowers?" Inutaisho asked.

"Yes." Sesshoumaru snapped.

Sesshoumaru quickly went upstairs to avoid more questioning.

___________________________Morning___________________ ____________

Sesshoumaru got dressed and went down stairs for breakfast. He found Inuyasha, his father and Izayoi already there.

"Good morning son!" said Inutaisho.

"Yes, good morning Sesshoumaru." Izayoi said quietly.

"Yeah." Was all Sesshoumaru said in response as he grabbed a muffin to eat.

"I'm going to work today so you don't have to drive Inuyasha to work today." Inutaisho said clasping Inuyasha on the back.

"Good." Said Sesshoumaru.

The rest of the meal was Inuyasha telling his mother and father about various things that didn't interest Sesshoumaru. After he was done with his muffin he grabbed his briefcase and was out the door. He got in the Lexus and drove to West Oni. He pulled into his parking space and got out.

He locked the doors and walked towards the front. Like he had planned he had an extra 10 minutes. He reached the front and looked across the avenue. She was there. She had some sort of yellow flower today. She had come back. She was smiling brightly as ever looking at the skyscraper in front of her.

He couldn't decide what to do. Should he go over there? Well he decided it was best to relieve his curiosity and so he crossed the street. She was standing there in the same outfit and basket. Today she had a new sign. It read: dafodillz Won doller a peese. He approached her and she turned her bright smile on him. It surprised him to see her smile brighten at the sight of him.

"Uh...hi...I-I'm Sesshoumaru..." was all he could think to say.

"...Sesshoumaru-sama...I'm Rin...would you like a daffodil?" she said in almost a whisper.

"Oh...yeah...how many you got...fifteen...okay I'll take fifteen then." He said as he reached for his wallet.

"Thank you so much!" she said as she grabbed all of them and handed them over in exchange for the money.

"Your welcome..." he said sort of quietly

"Have a nice day!" she beamed at him then walked off.

"You too." He said

He looked to his watch and saw t was just time to go to work. He gathered the daffodils up and headed across the street. He pushed through the rotating door and into the lobby.

"Nice flowers sir." Said Myoga.

"Shut up." Said Sesshoumaru as he shot Myoga a death glare that could burn paper.

Rin-------------------------------------------------------- ----------------- -------------------

She had gone back to the business district and that man, the one with beautiful golden eyes, had been there. He had talked to her even. He said his name was Sesshoumaru. He bought all her flowers. She had 25 dollars now! When he talked to her he sounded so emotionless but somewhere deep in his eyes she saw the fire in his soul. She wondered if she would see him again. In fact she hoped so.

To be continued...


Thank you, you guys!

Next time on Moving up in the world:

Will Rin see Sesshoumaru again? Will Narraku show up again? Why is Inutaisho coming to work? Will Jakken ever return with the coffee? them yet cuz it takes 24 hours to process but I thank those who do review and ill thank you all personally next chapter when I know who you are! Well I'm sorry about grammar stuff but I'm not rereading this cuz I just wrote it so it would be pretty boring to read again. I'm sure you can figure out what I was trying to say. Also Kagome will show up as will Miroku and Sango and there will be a teeny tiny bit of Kagome/Inuyasha as well as M/S you can also see I threw Kikyo in there but I'm going to give her a small part because otherwise I'll end up making her evil or dead cause I don't really like her. Then there is Narraku. We will just see where that goes. Also I'd rather you would email me at badgoodgirl8807@hotmail.com if you do want to cuz I lost my other password apparently.