InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moving Up in the World ❯ Rescue and Project Shikon ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi thanks for reading! I really appreciate the reviews! I am so proud that this sucker is twelve pages (though there is a lot of dialogue) Kikyo is turning out to have a bigger role but I write this as I go so I guess I can't promise anything. Also Miroku, Sango and yes, Kagome! All appear in this chapter though they don't appear for very long but still. Anyways I will stop talking so you can read! Also just so you know Rin is an adult.

~KitKat

Disclaimer: you know the drill; I say I don't own Inu I then say Rumiko does and then some sort of clever thing about wishing I did or owning a plushie etc.

*…*= Italics

Sesshoumaru----------------(starting at the end of chapter two)----------------------

He looked to his watch and saw it was just time to go to work. He gathered the daffodils up and headed across the street. He pushed through the rotating door and into the lobby.

"Nice flowers sir." Said Myoga.

"Shut up." Said Sesshoumaru as he shot Myoga a death glare that could burn paper.

What was he coming to? Having to carry *daffodils* in front of his employees just to help some *homeless* girl. It was a weakness. It must be. He had to stop getting here early so he wouldn't see that smile. He still didn't understand how she could smile anyway. Didn't she know she could be killed and no one at all would miss her? Well, now wasn't the time to be thinking of such things. He had work to be done. Especially if father was coming today.

"Huh?" asked Sesshoumaru.

"I asked if you wanted to go to the 75th floor. Sir." The fox boy said.

"Uh…yeah." Sesshoumaru had forgotten he was in the elevator. Now look what this girl was doing to him! His clients might think he was crazy.

Sesshoumaru noticed the kitsune eyeing the daffodils. Sesshoumaru sighed and gave the kitsune a half-hearted glare. They reached the 75th floor and Sesshoumaru stepped out. He entered the waiting room in-between his and Inuyasha's offices to be greeted by the sight of Yura painting her toenails. She had her leg propped up on the desk with fluffy cotton balls between each toe.

"Glad to see someone is working." Sesshoumaru said in his most cynical tone.

"Oh!… Sesshoumaru I have something for you!" she said as she began to dig through her purse, which was huge and made out of a tacky red material.

Sesshoumaru sighed deeply as he wondered what the creepy hair lady could have for him.

"I went to the store and bought you the right kind of shampoo." She said as she held up two bright green bottles for him to see.

"………" He couldn't think of anything to say but he grabbed the bottles because he knew she wouldn't let him rest if he didn't take them.

He opened his office's door and walked in all too aware of how odd he looked carrying shampoo and daffodils.

"Sesshoumaru darling!" kagura greeted him as usual.

"Close but I am not your darling." He said in his icy monotone voice.

"Daffodils? Who gives my baby flowers?" she said as her voice rose in anger.

"I'm not your baby." He said and then he walked into his personal office and slammed the door.

He breathed in deep. That had been worse than it should be. He looked down at the hard wood floors and noted that they hadn't been sweeped. Was Jakken getting lazy? He sat the shampoo down on a table in the corner. He looked at the daffodils and realized they needed water. Jakken would do that. Where was Jakken anyway? It was very unlike him to be not brown nosing every available second. Just then the door flew open and a *very* exhausted looking toad man holding a tray of coffee collapsed on the floor. He used his scrawny arms to pull himself up a little.

"Milord (heave) I have (cough) returned with the coffee."

"Oh have you been gone all night?" Sesshoumaru inquired with a smirk of amusement.

"Yes…(puff)…I took only right turns as you said milord."

"Baka." Sesshoumaru said as he slowly walked around his desk and took a seat as he palmed another paperweight. He threw it and it bashed the already downed toad's head against the wall.

"I said left turns only." Couldn't the toad get anything right?

"Would you like me to go and get some more then milord?" he asked as he visibly cringed at the thought.

"No. Put these in some water." Sesshoumaru said as he gestured towards the flowers.

"At once milord!" he said peeling himself off the floor and scampering to gather them up. Jakken scrambled around for a while occasionally tripping or spilling something but eventually he successfully put the daffodils in a vase filled with water.

"If you don't mind me asking milord, why do you have flowers yet again today?" the toad man said while he shielded his bumpy head from the impact of the blow he thought Sesshoumaru would give him.

"I mind." Was all Sesshoumaru needed to say to shut the toad up but truthfully he asked himself the same thing many times.

Why did he take interest in the girl? She had told him her name was Rin. That was a nice name. Why had she talked to him this time? Wasn't he intimidating? If you asked anyone they would tell you he was the cruelest and unkind businessman in Tokyo. But this one girl with a bright smile was all it took to make him soft. Sesshoumaru sat down in his comfy executive's chair behind his desk. He wondered if his father and Inuyasha had arrived yet. They never got there right on time but forty-five minutes had passed so surely they would be here soon especially if there was something of great enough importance to drag his father away from his precious Izayoi. Sesshoumaru began rifling through paperwork so he would be prepared for whatever father wanted. And Jakken went over to his small desk and watched Sesshoumaru in hopes he would need something of the toad.

Rin------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------

Rin couldn't believe it. That businessman with the beautiful golden eyes had come again this morning. He bought *all* her flowers and what's more he spoke to her. He even told her his name, Sesshoumaru. What a beautiful name to fit a gorgeous man. Why had he come again anyways? But Rin had begun to stop caring why because she found herself enchanted with his golden eyes and flowing silver hair, like an angel, a very handsome angel.

Rin was daydreaming about her angel as she stumbled through the public park. Luckily Toutousai brought her out of her dream world before she walked off a cliff.

"Rin-chan? Are you all right?" he asked just as she passed in front of his little hut-like setup.

"Oh…Toutousai san. Yes I'm fine." She turned to smile at him.

"Did you sell any flowers this morning?" he asked with a purposeful grin as he saw her empty basket.

"Yes I did! All of them to one person. I made fifteen dollars!" Rin said as she bounced on her feet with joy.

"Hmm… to one person? Could it be the same person as yesterday?" he asked with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes that he was oh so famous for.

"Why as a matter of fact Toutousai san he was the very same businessman with golden eyes."

"Maybe you should return there this afternoon?" he suggested as he swung his long hammer about at the pigeons.

"But I don't have any flowers."

"Just bring yourself then…go and have a relaxing walk." He said as he managed to hit a pigeon and it squawked and flew into his hut. "Well Rin have a good day it looks like I have work to do."

"Have a nice time playing with the pigeons Toutousai san." Rin said as she waved back and began to walk away.

Should she go back? Would she see Sesshoumaru? Well maybe she should go back even if it's just to look at the buildings reflecting the sunset.

Sesshoumaru----------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------

"Do you need anything milord?" Jakken asked.

Sesshoumaru sighed if only that infernal toad would just die. Sesshoumaru then decided it would just be easier if he got rid of the toad for a while.

"Actually there is something I desire." He said slowly.

"What is it I can get you milord!?" Jakken said as he almost jumped through the ceiling in the joy of being able to serve his master.

"I want a big mac from wacdonald's"

"Oh I can just run down to the 35th floor food court and-"

"No. I desire one from the wacdonald's on 2nd street."

"But milord that's 8 blocks away…may I take a bus?"

"Yes, but only busses that have the number 4 in their numbers. I find it improves the quality of the special sauce." Sesshoumaru said while he nearly laughed out loud at the toad's idiocy.

"Oh………right away milord!" Jakken said and then shot out of the room.

Sesshoumaru put his feet up on the desk and sighed very pleased with himself. Just then the intercom buzzed. Sesshoumaru put his feet off the desk and hit the little red button.

"What is it?"

"It's your father dear."

"Put him through. And do not call me dear."

"……Fine." Came Kagura's disappointed response.

"Sesshoumaru I am calling a meeting. Please come down to the largest meeting room in fifteen minutes." Inutaisho's voice said over the intercom.

"May I ask what it will be about?" was Sesshoumaru's somewhat irritated reply.

"You shall see in oh…thirteen minutes and forty-three seconds. Don't be late." Said Inutaisho, completely oblivious of his son's anger.

"Fine." Sesshoumaru said as he flicked the intercom's switch to off.

Sesshoumaru sat at his desk and rubbed his temples. He got up and began gathering his laptop and some papers he thought he would need and shoved them in his briefcase. Inuyasha would be there as well as Miroku his personal assistant. Miroku was an infamous lecher. If a girl who was discernable as a girl so much as walked near him he lost complete control of his hands. It was a funny thing though that Inuyasha's secretary, Sango was her name. She did not tolerate Miroku's wandering hands. She would slap the man upside his head if he even looked funny at a girl. Sesshoumaru found it odd that she was allowed to have her cat in the building. The cat itself was odd. It had two tails and odd-looking eyes. But Sesshoumaru didn't care what kind of freaks his brother employed. It was no concern of his. Besides it's not like Jakken and kagura were star employees.

He had finally gotten everything gathered so he adjusted his already perfect tie and walked right out the door. Surprisingly kagura was not at her desk. That was odd but Sesshoumaru was busy so he dismissed it. He continued into the airy lobby to see Yura was sound asleep with her head down on her desk. He thanked his lucky stars and punched the elevator button. It finally reached the top and the doors slid open to reveal a very angry Kagura.

"Sesshy dear thank goodness you're here!" she latched onto his arm.

"I am busy woman." He said and his eyes seemed to grow red in hatred.

"But-but don't you want to comfort me?" Sesshoumaru noticed the fox had pressed himself against the wall of the elevator to avoid the distressed woman.

"Get out of my way I have a meeting!"

"Sesshy! Don't you care?"

"NO! And my name is Sesshoumaru!" he gave her a push (A/N: not violent just enough to move her) out the elevator's doors and lucky for him Shippo was smart and had punched the door close button.

And he had thought things were going so smoothly. He guessed he would have to get a replacement for Kagura. She was just too much trouble. She didn't even get his name right. He looked at his wristwatch to see that he would be late. He sighed deeply and rubbed his temples. The elevator stopped and he got off. He turned right and entered a huge room. It was the largest meeting room. It had one solid windowed wall. The other walls were paneled with expensive wood and the floor was covered with plush blue carpet. There was a long table down the middle. It was inlaid with expensive woods and could seat thirty people. There were thirty high-backed leather swivel chairs that were more comfortable than recliners. A large screen plasma TV hung on the font wall to show any graphs.

He was five minutes late so when he walked in every one was already there. His father sat at the head of the table and Inuyasha sat to his left and had his feet on the table and his arms behind his head. Miroku sat next to him. Inuyasha claimed he needed to be there as well as Sango who was next to Miroku. Sesshoumaru turned his vision to the other side of the table where two women sat. They sat at opposite ends. The one near the end obviously had no part in the first portion of the meeting. Sesshoumaru noticed how the two looked very similar. The one sitting close looked quite icy.

"Ah Sesshoumaru we were wondering when you would arrive." His father said while gesturing to sit.

"Finally." Inuyasha muttered.

"Sorry father but I had some troubles with kagura." Sesshoumaru said while glaring at Inuyasha.

"Oh yeah I will tell you about that after we talk with our guests." He turned to the woman closest to him. " Are you ready to begin?"

"Quite." The woman said with a rather uppity tone.

"Alright then. Inuyasha, Sesshoumaru this is Kikyo Shard. You may know that she owns the company, Shard Inc., you may also know that that company is the only company that rivals ours." He paused to see Inuyasha's and Sesshoumaru's unspoken affirmatives. "Well she came here today to ask for our help on a project her company is doing. It is called project Shikon. It involves top secret stuff. She has said she will only tell one of you boys about it if we agree to help."

"Doesn't that give us a large degree of liability?" Asked Sesshoumaru.

"Couldn't she dupe us?" asked Inuyasha.

"Well yes but all she asks is the help of one of you two so there really is nothing to lose." Inutaisho explained.

"Except my valuable time." Sesshoumaru said sarcastically as he leaned back in his chair.

"I'll do it." Said Inuyasha.

"WHAT?!?!" said Sesshoumaru, Miroku, and Sango in unison.

"You heard me!" Inuyasha nearly growled out.

"Alright." Said Inutaisho.

"What???" said Sesshoumaru, Miroku, and Sango once again in unison.

"Kikyo, my son Inuyasha will be assisting you." Inutaisho said calmly.

"Alright tomorrow I will come and show you what project Shikon is about. But I must go now. I have a business to run." Kikyo stood up and grabbed her suitcase and left.

"Father are you insane? Inuyasha hasn't worked a day of his life." Sesshoumaru said icily without losing his cool.

"HEY!" Inuyasha said as he stood up defensively.

"No I am not insane. Inuyasha can do it." Inutaisho said slowly. "But before you go I have some more business to attend to." Everyone turned their attention to the girl sitting at the far end of the table. She was trying hard to look nonchalant. "This is Kagome. She is a top of the notch analyst. She graduated top of her class in Harvard and she will be advising you, Inuyasha." Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes and Inuyasha folded his arms.

"I don't need an adviser! Especially some wench!" Inuyasha said gruffly. The girl, Kagome looked like she wanted to hit Inuyasha but restrained herself.

"Hello I am Kagome and you must be Inuyasha." She said brightly as she reached her hand out to shake his hand only to meet air.

"Inuyasha!" Inutaisho scolded then turned to Kagome. "It just takes time he will warm up." He explained.

"Come on lets go Miroku." Inuyasha said as he headed towards the door. Kagome stood there dumbstruck till Sango put her arm around her and led her out. Sesshoumaru watched as they left and remembered his father had something to tell him.

"So what is it?" Sesshoumaru asked casually leaning even further back in his chair.

"Oh…yes well seeing as you are now pretty much running the company. And you don't really have any good help."

"Help?"

"Yes. And also I would like you to see that Kikyo doesn't lead Inuyasha into ruin so I figure you could use it. So I made Kagura Yura's partner. If I had fired her I think she would have leapt off the building. And I was going to make Jakken your secretary but I can't seem to find him."

"Okay…who is it?"

"That's just the thing, I'm letting you choose. Feel free to pick anyone at all even if they don't have master's degrees. I find that the average man can be just as good if not even better. Try to get someone from a different vantage point from yours." His father clapped him on the back and begun to leave. "Oh try to have this person by tomorrow."

Tomorrow? Sesshoumaru asked himself while sitting in the empty conference room. How was he going to pick someone by tomorrow? He had to find someone from outside the office too. He decided he would go to the downtown restaurants and see if there was anything interesting there. He didn't really need help anyway so he could just find someone who wouldn't annoy him.

Rin------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------

Rin was enjoying the crisp fall afternoon as she walked towards the restaurants in downtown to get something to eat. She was skipping happily minding her own business looking at the fall foliage when two clammy hands grabbed her wrists. She twisted in hopes of getting free but her attacker was much too strong.

"HELP!" she screamed before a large sweaty palm closed over her mouth.

"Shhh you wouldn't want anyone to hear you. Women are very good for growing hair. After I eat you I will have such nice hair." He said as he stroked her hair. *Bam* she was suddenly free. She fell to the ground and passed out.

Sesshoumaru----------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

He had drove to the restaurants and was walking towards one when he heard a scream from a woman. Against his normal judgement of they get what is coming to them he dropped his briefcase and ran to the alley it was coming from.

"-I will have such nice hair" he heard the ugly man say as he stroked the girl's hair.

He punched the greasy looking man out with little trouble because the man was reeking of alcohol. He looked down at the girl and was very surprised to see it was the flower girl, Rin. She had passed out and he saw she was bruised and quite dirty. But he picked her up bridal-style and carried her to his car. He grabbed his briefcase and got in. he looked back to the backseat and asked himself what he was doing. But he couldn't leave her by herself unconscious. But she was homeless. He sighed and knew he what he was going to do. He was going to take her home for the night.

He drove home as he thought up ways to explain the situation to Izayoi. She would have to wash the girl because it wouldn't be right for him to. Luckily it was still early afternoon so Inuyasha and his father weren't home yet so he wouldn't have to explain to them. He pulled up the long driveway slowly dreading the upcoming explanation.

He parked the car and got out. He opened the backdoor and slid her out gently he couldn't help but notice how soft and warm she was. And how skinny she was. He carried her up to the front door and rang the bell. He waited for Izayoi to open the door, which took a while since the house was more like a mansion.

"Sesshoumaru…who? Is she ok?" Izayoi asked worriedly.

"She is just unconscious. She needs a bath." He explained while looking floor."

"Oh well bring her in. I will give her a bath then," said Izayoi while she moved out of his path.

"Can you take her upstairs to the master bathroom? It will be much easier to bathe her in the whirlpool." Izayoi asked while climbing the stairs.

They finally got to his father and Izayoi's room and he stood there waiting for instruction.

"Oh… just put her in the tub clothes and all. I can get them off." She looked the girl over. "She has such old dirty clothes." Izayoi said to herself. They went into the bathroom and he put her in the empty tub.

"You can wait in the bedroom till I'm done." Izayoi said. Sesshoumaru walked out silently.

Rin------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Rin awoke to find she was in water, bubbly water. She looked around and saw a beautiful woman leaning on the edge of the tub. The woman had been washing her.

"Wh-where am I?" Rin asked

"Hush dear you are okay now." Izayoi comforted.

"How did I get here?"

"My son brought you. His name is Sesshoumaru."

"Sesshoumaru…that is familiar…oh! He brought me here?"

"Yes you were unconscious. Just relax you look like you took a bit of a beating." Izayoi got no answer back because Rin had fallen back into unconsciousness.

Sesshoumaru----------------------------------------------------- -------------------------

It had been about half an hour and Sesshoumaru was still waiting in the bedroom. He thought he had heard talking in there earlier but it had stopped.

"Sesshoumaru. We are done can you come and take her out of the tub?"

Sesshoumaru walked in and saw Izayoi had drained the water out and wrapped a towel around Rin. He picked her up carefully so the towel would not slip. He stood up and looked to Izayoi.

"Just put her on the bed for now." she gestured at the bed in the next room.

After he had laid her down Izayoi pulled the blankets up on Rin and turned to Sesshoumaru.

"She is staying tonight. Maybe longer. But now I have a few questions." Sesshoumaru grimaced and prepared for the worst.

"First how did she get hurt?"

"A man attacked her."

"I see. Why does she have such dirty clothes and shoes? As well as so many bruises."

"She…is…homeless."

"Homeless! Such a dear sweet girl? Oh well then she is definitely staying here for a while!"

"Ok. I have to go and do some work. Call me if you need me." Sesshoumaru said as he took a last look at the sleeping girl and walked out.

Maybe I shall have grandchildren from him after all Izayoi thought as she picked out clothes for the sleeping girl.

A/N~ my life is sorta busy right now so I might not update for a week but I will prolly get it in sooner but I'm just warning ya I might get busy. Um… Kikyo is sorta a bad person but it is my experience that you all don't mind that. Also the way I split up Sess's pov from Rin's might get a tad confusing since they will be together but you are smart I'm sure you will get it. Please review if you are gonna say something positive or some *nice* criticism.

Recommendations (stories I liked):

Dead Famous by Rosefire1~this story is awesome! You have got to check it out. It's Inu/Kag and even has a teeny bit of Sess/Rin

The Babysitter by The Literary Dragon~ this rocks! It sooo sweet I LOVE shiro! Kag/Inu Sess and Rin are in it but not a couple cause she is a little girl.

~These stories also don't belong to me I just thought you might like to know a few awesome stories they are both REAL long so that should keep ya busy.

Thank you muchly~

Hanna- Rin won't be poor for long ^_~

SweetazKande- thank you I try! lol

animemistress419

silverninja- its my experience that Spanish teachers suck in general! Mrs. H can go eat a taco.

drake220- I like my Jakken flattened filleted and fried.

Deadly Tears- ja ne!

Tigerose08- thanks so much your review made me feel warm and fuzzy inside!

anhimals

marnika- thank you! I can focus? Too bad I cant in math!

Holy-Psychic-Vulpix- WHAT? It's not the best? Hahaha I know but it rocks compared to what I thought I could do.

MintlovesSR- your 2nd review was my favorite review! Rin is cute! <huggles Rin>

Angel64- thanks! Your story is cool!

Ja Ne!