InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moving Up in the World ❯ Schemes ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Whoa, another chapter in one day… I'm gonna pat myself on the back…
 
Notes: This chapter sort of focuses on Izayoi & Inutaisho, I don't think that is a problem since I have been complimented on my Izayoi…(*pats herself on the back*) In this chapter I hope you notice the romance between them, I wanted to sort of put that in perspective…also you will notice how both Sess and Inutaisho act differently in each other's presence.
 
Chapter Seventeen:
 
 
 
Rin sat on her bed, flipping through the many channels on the TV. Her eyes still felt sticky from crying earlier. She was by no means no longer upset, but she had realized that sobbing about it was useless. So here she was, scratching her stomach in front of the television, which wasn't necessarily doing any good either.
She should have known better, there was no way she could ever be in Sesshoumaru's league. She was more than naïve thinking that he would take her to the Christmas banquet…she stared longingly at the pink dress. Why did this hurt so badly?
 
Sesshoumaru
 
0
Sesshoumaru entered the kitchen to find Inuyasha, but no Rin. He sighed.
 
“I wish you knew how much of an idiot you are.” Sesshoumaru growled at Inuyasha.
 
“Me the idiot? I doubt it.” Inuyasha said as he swung his feet up on the new table that they had gotten after Sess smashed the old one.
 
“If only you knew the trouble you have sunk us into.” Sesshoumaru barked bitterly.
 
“Wha-?” Inu asked through a one-eyed stare.
 
“You couldn't understand.” Sess growled as he turned into the living room. He saw that Izayoi was there. Could he not have a moment alone?
 
“What's the matter dear? I heard you talking harshly to Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru sighed, the woman actually looked concerned.
 
“It's just some business.” He said as he flopped down to watch the news as Izayoi continued her crossword puzzle.
 
“I can tell there is something wrong you know…” She said over the top of the glasses she wore for reading.
 
“You'll find out soon enough…” he breathed out as he got up and left.
 
“Sess, have you seen Rin?” she called out after him. He touched his temples as he made a quick escape upstairs.
 
Rin
 
 
Rin ransacked her closet for her most comfortable items. She found pink bunny slippers, a tank top, and some gray sweatpants with “Oni” written on the buttocks. She sighed as she realized the fright she would look, but hey, whatcha gonna do? She felt like crap, might as well look it.
 
She popped down the stairs to find everyone already sitting at the dinner table. Great, she had an audience then. She looked around, Sesshoumaru was watching his plate carefully, Inuyasha was looking at her with a cocked eyebrow, Inutaisho was eating, and Izayoi was watching her with an intense interest.
 
“Sorry I'm late.” Rin apologized.
 
“That's no problem dear, you may eat whenever you feel like it, the kitchen is always open.” Izayoi said while she evaluated Rin. “Are you feeling alright?”
 
“Oh, I'm fine.” Rin said overly quickly. Izayoi got a decisive look on her face and quietly went back to eating, the rest of dinner went on quietly besides Inuyasha and Inutaisho's sports conversations no one seemed in the mood to talk.
 
Izayoi
 
“You know something is the matter, dear.” Izayoi said to Inutaisho as they quietly washed dishes together.
 
“Yeah, I noticed.” He said softly as he hugged her from behind.
 
“Knock that off you old fool.” She patted his cheek with her rubber glove.
 
“We have a dishwasher, why won't you use it?” Inutaisho asked as he wiped another plate clean.
 
“You know my best memories are from when you came to the restaurant to help me do dishes…” She teased.
 
“Oh yeah…that was one heck of a night…Do you think people would still eat at my old restaurant if they know what we did there?” She said as she flicked a glob of bubbles at him.
 
“I doubt it.” He said mischievously as he buried his face in her neck.
 
“Hey, hey, hey. Let's get back to the subject.” She chastised.
 
“Oh yeah, so something is up between Sess and Rin…”
 
“Yeah, do you know what it is?” Izayoi asked sweetly.
 
“No, you?” Inutaisho said simply.
 
“Nope, that settles it. I'll take Rin, you take Sess, meet you back here in thirty.” She commanded as if they were secret agents on a covert operation, which in many ways it was.
 
Sess
 
 
Sesshoumaru was disappointed to see that West Oni stock had not risen today. At least it did not drop… He looked up to see his father above him.
 
“Huh…” Sess muttered.
 
“Sesshoumaru, son, I think we should talk.” Inutaisho said in his serious manner.
 
“About what? If it's about still hanging out in the house when I own my own, it's because Izayoi-” Sesshoumaru explained grouchily.
 
“No it's not that, you are welcome in my home anytime. It's about you, and Rin.” Inutaisho took a seat. He crossed his arms and breathed deeply.
 
“Rin and I?” Sesshoumaru sat up and tried his best to remain the man he was rather than revert to the boy he used to be.
 
“Yes, I don't know what, but I know something is up. So it would be best if you just told me.” Inutaisho said sternly. It wasn't really him anymore, to be so stern, but he knew this was the least painful way to deal with his eldest son.
 
“I am unable to escort her to the Christmas banquet…” Sesshoumaru said levelly.
 
“And why is that?” Inutaisho asked unwaveringly.
 
“I have another date.” Sesshoumaru said through gritted teeth. He knew he would have to keep the failure with project Shikon from out of underneath his father's nose, otherwise the whole thing was likely to become his fault.
 
“I see.” Inutaisho's entire demeanor suddenly changed to the lighter-hearted man he preferred. “Well who is the lucky girl? She must be pretty special to have caught the eye of my son.”
 
“She is no one of any importance.” Sesshoumaru said quickly.
 
“Nonsense, I can't wait to meet her.” Inutaisho said as he got up to leave.
 
Upon entering the hall a new set of thoughts hit him. What about Rin? Wasn't she perfect for him? Izayoi would not like this…
 
Rin
 
 
Rin was once more flipping through the endless channels…Why couldn't they put anything good on? Suddenly a very concerned looking Izayoi entered the room.
 
“Rin, dear.” She cooed.
 
“Yes?” Rin could already feel the tears pulling at her throat. This woman was the closest thing she had to a mother.
 
“You can tell me what's the matter you know.” Izayoi explained.
 
“It's nothing really, I mean it was just a foolish dream I was toying with, it's completely my fault that I am upset.”
 
“Tell me.” Izayoi said somewhat shortly.
 
“Well, well, it's just that…Sesshoumaru informed me today that he would be unable to escort me to the Christmas banquet.” Rin explained.
 
“Why on earth not?” Izayoi asked.
 
“I don't know, I suppose he is taking someone else…” Rin shared her fears unwittingly.
 
“Oh dear, don't you worry. You haven't lost anything yet…” Izayoi looked around. “I know! We shall use an important tool we women use called jealousy.” She patted Rin on the back.
 
“How will that work?” Rin wiped a stray tear; somehow all this plotting excited something within her.
 
“Well, first we make sure you look stunning during the Christmas banquet. And I don't mean just pretty, I mean tempting, if everyone is checking you out, you are sure to summon his protectiveness. Trust me, inuyoukai are very protective.” Izayoi sat up. “Don't worry, by the banquet in two days I will have it all worked out.” Izayoi moved towards the door. “Night, dear.”
 
“Night.” Rin said softly.
 
Izayoi left and begun back to the kitchen. Hopefully her husband's story would explain more. She found him already waiting for her, munching on cookies.
 
“You first.” She said.
 
“Sesshoumaru has another date.” He said, surprised at his wife's determination. He hadn't seen this since she had been after him.
 
“I see, any news on who?” she asked while writing on a piece of paper.
 
“Nope. Not much from my end.” He responded.
 
“I see, well dear, you call Kouga, tell him you have a very nice girl for him to take to the banquet, make sure he says yes.” She said as she continued to jot down things on her notepad.
 
“No problem.” Inutaisho said.
 
“I am going shopping.” She replied while grabbing her purse.
 
“But dear, it's eleven o' clock…” he pointed out.
 
“They will open up for me.” She hollered back before slamming the door.
 
TBC!!!
 
 
I hope that whole “tool called jealousy” thing didn't offend nobody, I'm by no means trying to be sexist…yada yada yada.
 
I liked this chapter a lot…I had fun writing it (I always do). I hope you enjoyed it. I think we are looking at one…maybe two(specially if I continue whipping minis out there on ya) chapters then the Christmas BANQUET!!! Eeeek! The climax of the story!!! I expect that chapter will take me a while to write, since I want to get the climax in the story (I mean the whole shebang has been leading up to it!) a bit more polish then I usually do…
 
Thanks- You guys know I love you right? Keep them coming please.
 
Love always and forever,
Kitkat