InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Best Friend's Wedding ❯ Sango's Reflections ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Welcome. First fic on mediaminer, but not written. And I like this fic if I do say so myself! Well no, I can't take all the credit, my very good co-writer, KO, deserves some fame as well. Well, you won't recognize her, but she likes a pen name anyway. So say hi, KO, and talk about yourself, but PLEASE don't spend all day like you can.

KO: hihi! It's me! Well u don't know me but thatz okay! I'm weird!, crazy!, obsessive!, what else… oh ya! KO stands for one of 3 things: Kyo-obsessed (^^ gota luv Orangy!!!) Karma-obsessed (w00t!) or Knock-Out! U pick!

SO: umhmm…thatz all nice. Well anyway, my…err…our first Mir/San fic and we wrote it while at camp. Why I'm telling u this I have no idea but whatever. This is how it works, each chapter is in the 1st person. The odd chapters are narrated by Sango=I write them and the even ones are narrated by Miroku=KO. Wow that was confusing! Anyhow, enjoy it! ^^

 

Disclaimer: ah…sadly enough, we only own our own characters…wait, do we even have our own characters in this story??? Ah! And I thought not owning just Takahashi's people was sad…

 

…………………

 

Chapter 1

Sango's Reflections

 

I sat on my cushioned sofa; my feet rested on the black coffee table in the den. There was a studded diamond ring on my left hand. I closed my eyes and kissed it. To think, for twenty-six years of my life, I've been single. In a matter of seven months, I'll be married. It's just what my parents wanted; me to finish university and get a good job, and get married to a nice young gentleman a year or two older than me. They'd be happy…if they were still here. Anyway, to think, I owe all of my happiness to my very best friend, Miroku Zen.

 

Miroku and me go way back. Back about twenty-six years. My family and his knew each other from school. And besides, my brother, Kohaku, and Miroku's adopted brother, Shippo, were friends as well. But it's funny. We hated each other in elementary school. Well, all girls hated all guys at that age, with a few exceptions.

 

But it's funny as I look back to my elementary school days. He was a scrawny kid and a nerd too, minus the big, round glasses. He always got picked on. So I remember him taking up martial arts. And I know he's quite good now.

 

Then in middle school, everything changed. Our families saw each other almost everyday. I started to understand him more and more. And he could understand me. Soon, I could talk to him about anything, and we became best friends. We were inseparable, always spending time together. And everyone knew you messed with one, you messed with the other.

 

I remember one time in grade seven. I was being forced into a really unpleasant situation with a bunch of high school students. They wanted me to join a gang with them because I was very strong fighter, and a lot stronger than people three years older than I was. Well as I said before, you messed with one and you messed with the other. We won the fight, but Miroku didn't go uninjured. He got stabbed in the right palm. I remember treating it. He always has a scar now, but keeps it covered with a special cloth wrap that I made. He always wears it, and doesn't let anyone but me fix or rearrange it.

 

And even in high school, we had a stronger bond than any couple going steady. I was there for him, like he was for me. He was my date for all semi-formals and proms. I remember when some asked how long we've been dating. We had a good laugh. We told that someone we were only good friends. That someone said we should end up together. I think that gave Miroku ideas…when at that moment commented how cute it was and attempted to kiss me right then and there. It earned him a good slap.

 

Still those same years, I was one of the most sociable people around. In grade nine alone I had about five boyfriends. The funny thing was, I never kissed any of them. I was waiting for a really special person to share it with. Corny…yes, but I didn't think so at the time.

 

That same year, my father died. I was devastated. I didn't come to school for that week. I didn't answer the phone and didn't check my email. I locked my room, refusing to see anyone. One day, Miroku appeared at my window…on the second floor of the house. I don't know how he got up there, but if he went through so much trouble to see me, he was worth my time. I let him in, and cried for at least an hour. He didn't tell me to suck it up, but listened with attention and comforted me. He told me that a few years back, he'd gone through the same thing, but told no one. He mentioned that I'm sad now, but it's not the end of the world. It will get easier in time. I was really happy to hear it from him. And he was glad I was okay. He then said something like, "Scare me like that again and I'll have to use more extreme methods."

 

"Like what?" I countered quickly.

 

"I…I'll be forced to kiss you."

 

"Oh yeah, what a threat. Like that would ever happen."

 

He knew…he knew very well, that I'd never been kissed before. "I'll prove it," he told me before bending down and placed his lips over mine. I wasn't mad though. Surprised, yes, but mad, no. He was probably the special person I was waiting for. And after that, I could kiss whomever the hell I wanted.

 

Miroku told me after that that I was a good kisser…for my first time. I guess that was a nice compliment coming from him. He had a reputation with girls. Persuading them until he was bored…then onto the next victim. I never asked him about that though. It would have been too rude. So I left it at that.

 

When I got accepted into Tokyo University in grade twelve, I was so excited. Miroku got in too, but was debating whether to go or not. It was a total surprise to find him on campus, more so, sharing a rented apartment with me. Something changed that year. I started to feel odd around him…but in a good way. Kind of like I was drawn to him. And it began to dawn on me that I was starting to like him as more than just a good friend. But I wouldn't risk our long-term friendship just to ask for a date, and then break up. I tried my best to hide it, but after awhile it got hard. It was visible that I was becoming sad.

 

Miroku saw that I was suffering and one day asked me what was wrong. I didn't like to lie, but I also couldn't bring myself to tell him that I liked him. So instead, I said something I am so glad I said. "Everyone has a companion nowadays except for me. Not that you're bad, I'm just beginning to wonder if I'll ever marry."

 

He didn't say much after that, except for, "I see." Later in the evening, he introduced me to a guy in one of his classes, Bankotsu Ohama. I wasn't quite sure what to think other than he was hot, very. Curse Miroku's year to have the best looking guys. Well, we got to know each other a little better and then about three months later, he asked me out. Soon I spent more and more of my time with Bankotsu, and less and less time with Miroku. And in time, I could see Miroku get sad, just like me.

 

He had the same reason as mine, not having a steady girlfriend. So that day, I talked with a girl in my English literature class that I knew was crazy for Miroku, Koharu. When I told her that he was looking for someone, she almost killed me to set her up. They were a perfect match for one another. After getting introduced, Miroku looked happy and so did Koharu. It was perfect.

 

It was my third year when Miroku came in and told me he was engaged. He asked if I was okay with the marriage. If he was happy, so was I. So I told him I was more than fine. The wedding would be after they both graduated, but he wasn't sure when that would be, as Koharu was one year younger than I was, making her two years younger than Miroku. They also were both going for a Master's degree. If they could last six years engaged, they could go a lifetime together.

 

It came as a total shock when at the after-party of my graduation; Bankotsu took me into a quiet room with no people. He got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. Never had I imagined that a classmate that Miroku had introduced to me so many years ago would be kneeling in front of me, holding a diamond ring. I couldn't refuse; I loved him. But I also loved Miroku, but not in that way. I had to see if he agreed. He couldn't have been happier for me. So we were both content again. We were best friends and we were going to be wed.

 

On one of the last days together in our apartment, Miroku asked me to be a bride's maid for his wedding. I felt honored and told him Bankotsu wished for him to be the best man. After all, he was the one who introduced us. He was honored as well. Without a second thought, I kissed him, and he kissed me back. And we weren't ashamed, because it was from one good girl friend to one good guy friend. It felt weird though…I could have sworn that it felt like I was kissing Bankotsu, that same feeling I always got. But I didn't let that bother me too much. After all, we'd done it once already. A second time couldn't hurt.

 

So I put down my high school and university yearbooks. I remember one of his comments: "If you every have a problem, talk to me. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, I'm here, don't worry. If we never see each other again, don't forget me, because I'll remember you. All my love, Miroku". I cried the first time I read that. But…I knew he loved me as his best friend, nothing more, nothing less. I didn't have a whole lot of time to think about it further, as my fiancé walked through the door.