InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Darling Emiko ❯ Kigai's Story and Emiko's Pain ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
She woke before sunrise. The sky was just starting to lighten up as she opened her eyes and looked around the clearing. They were all still sleeping soundly. She stood silently went to the other side.

She stretched and groaned softly as her bones cracked. Ugh, I swear I'll sleep for a week in the best hotel I can find when this is over with she thought and yawned widely. Taking a quick look around to see if anyone was around she walked down to the river. Once there she quickly climbed up a tree to watch the sunrise. Damn, whatever possessed you to tell that story she thought to herself. Maybe because it had to be told her conscience said. She sighed sadly and watched the sun climb higher in the sky from where she sat on the tree branch.

When the sun had risen higher a voice called from below. "Emiko!" It was Kagome. She hopped from branch to branch until she landed softly in front of Kagome.

"Yes, What is it?" she said sourly, not wanting to be bothered.

"I just wanted to ask you something."

"Oh? What?"

"Who was Kiagi really?"

Emiko feigned indifference. "He's just a character in a story. No big deal" she said.

"You're lying." Kagome said. "You can tell me, that story was a part of your past wasn't it?"

Emiko looked around to see if anyone else was about. She heard no one and smelled no one about so she looked at Kagome and nodded sadly.

"What I'm about to tell you, you must not tell the others. I may tell father (here she smiled wryly) but I doubt it. I didn't tell him before and I seriously doubt I'll ever tell him."

Kagome nodded and sat down on the ground under the tree. Emiko paced in front of her.

"The story for the most part was true, I didn't mention a few things though. I didn't just hunt Kigai down, I seriously tried to kill him. We fought there, but he didn't try to beat me. He just tried to avoid my attacks until I had tired. Then he just held me down to make me listen." She smiled wistfully "He did give me a gift, but it was a dress. A snow white doeskin dress, with fringes and blue and red beadwork. 'It was my mothers wedding dress' he said to me. I was amazed that this handsome man even wanted such a vile person as myself. It never occurred to me that he saw behind my ratty tight clothes and my bad-ass attitude to see who I was inside. He's the only person to have ever truly figured me out." At this she sat down next to Kagome and smiled at the memories.

"We took each other as life-mates. As far as we were concerned we were married in all ways that mattered. We were very happy."

"But then what happened?" Kagome asked.

"He had gone out hunting. It was terribly cold out, even for us it was cold. There was snow covering the ground everywhere. I should have gone with him, I was tired though, I didn't think that he could possibly have been hurt" she said as tears formed in her eyes. "He was attacked by a youkai. You know Nippon isn't the only country that has them right? Well, this one was like none I had ever seen. It looked like a bear, only huge! His claws were as long as my hand, his teeth were longer than my own claws. Anyway, Kigai met up with this youkai and tried his damnedest to get away. He made it back to the den before he passed out from the blood loss, but the youkai had followed him."

She sighed softly. "Kigai was dying, I knew that. There was no way that I was going to let this foreign youkai finish what he had started. I went out to fight him. He was huge, I'd only seen one other as large as him, and it took both my father and me to kill him. I don't know, I think I went berserk. He had taken something away from me that I had only had for a short time. I had planned to spend my life with Kigai, and this monster had taken away my dreams. We fought and I think, the only thing that kept me from dying that day was my grief. I was injured badly in the battle, but I did kill that monster. I still carry that bastards teeth with me to this very day." She said sadly. When I got back into the den, Kigai was fading fast. I wasn't in much better shape so I curled up next to him and snuggled with him hoping that death would take us both. I dreamed that Kigai was there talking to me. He was sitting across from where I was lying and he had two children with him. 'Don't worry about the pups. I'll take care of them until you come to us' he said with a sad smile and I woke up. His body had grown cold in death and I was covered in blood, my own and that monsters. It was then that I realized that I had been pregnant. I lost them though, from that fight. I got up and walked out to where the monsters corpse lay. I pulled out his teeth and went back into the den. I dug a deep hole into the floor and lay Kigai in the bottom of it. On top of him, I lay the dress he gave me then I covered up his body. I left that place and have never been back." She was crying in earnest now, the tears running down her cheeks unchecked.

Kagome looked at her sadly. "I'm sorry" she said and hugged the sobbing girl tightly. This is how Inuyasha found them.

"What's wrong" he said as he crouched down in front of Emiko.

Kagome looked at Inuyasha and just shook her head as she held Emiko. Emiko scrubbed her cheeks and looked at Inuyasha.

"Not a damn thing is wrong" she said with a lot of anger in her voice and ran off. Inuyasha went to follow her but Kagome held his hand to stop him.

"Don't, just leave her be for now. Hopefully she'll tell you someday." Kagome said sadly and headed back to Kaede's.