InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Other Life ❯ Pain ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
A/N: Okay so this is my first story. So if it really bites, don't be too mean with the reviews okay? Oh yeah. And the first couple chapters are a little angsty so if you don't like those kinds of stories, then turn back now. For future chapters, note that all revisions won't be anything major. They're just improving a little bit on the writing style and maybe the story too. I'll tell you guys if there's any major changes that you would need to know about. Otherwise, enjoy!
 
"Kagome you lazy girl, get your butt up and get to work! What do you think I pay you for?"
 
Kagome mentally snorted to herself at the ludicrous demand.What kind of twisted world do you live in? You don't pay me.In fact, I should be paid for the all the trouble you put me through. Kagome groaned and pulled the covers higher up over her head. The sunlight shining through her bar cell of a window was too bright as far as Kagome was concerned and hurt her eyes whenever she looked at it.
 
As soon as her eyes closed again, the covers were yanked off of her head and body, which made Kagome draw her legs up higher as she felt the cold air hit her skin. Opening one eye, Kagome saw her 'mother' looking down at her with fire in her eyes. Kagome winced. She was in trouble now.
 
Gazing at her 'mother' with innocent eyes, Kagome asked, "Did you say something to me mom?" 'Mom' winced at being called the nickname Kagome had been using ever since she had adopted her.
 
Giving Kagome a glare that would have made the devil proud, Kagome's mother yanked her off from the floor and pushed her toward the corner where her 'uniform' stayed. "You heard me you little wretch. I want you to be changed and cleaned within the next five minutes and doing your chores or you will not be getting dinner for the next week."
 
With a final shove, she let go of Kagome's arm and turned to leave the room. Kagome watched as her mother's red dress flashed a pretty ruby red before disappearing out the door. Rising up from the hardwood floor she had been thrown upon, Kagome began to wonder why her mother had come up to her living quarters when she had never done so in years. Like it matters. I'll be finding out in the next five minutes won't I? Kagome mentally asked herself.
 
A glance outside proved to be another gorgeous day like every other day had been that summer. Kagome sighed. Get over it Kagome. It's not like you'll be able to enjoy it with all the work that mother dearest has assigned to you, her inner voice said sulkily.
 
Kagome sighed again and walked the remaining distance towards her working uniform. Her mirror caught the glare of the sun and flashed out of the corner of Kagome's eye.
 
Kagome turned her attention to the glass and smiled sadly at the reflection the broken pieces of glass she used as a mirror showed.
 
The girl who stared back at her had a sadness around her that clung to her like a second skin. Her body was terribly thin for a girl of fifteen. The shoulders barely fit into the rags she used for bedtime clothes. And the red welts that ran all up and down her arms and legs were beginning to heal but would only be replaced with new ones. Her long black hair was ruff and coarse and looked like it hadn't been washed in months (which it hadn't). Kagome touched the ratty material with longing, wishing her hair was like the models she had seen in magazines.
 
A loud thud downstairs snapped Kagome out of her self- examination and made her get back to the real world. At least, the world she knew. Kagome carefully put her bruised fingers to her dirty pink nightgown and gently lifted it off. Kagome took off her working clothes form the hanger and replaced the now empty spot with her sorry excuse of a nightgown.
 
Her 'uniform' was a little better than the rags she used to sleep in. It was a brown maid's outfit that had many pockets and zippers. It had seen many years' of use, and yet not all of those years' had been kind to the piece of clothing. The uniform used to belong to the old cook, but she had given it back (more like thrown it back) to her adoptive mom before quitting.
 
Kagome didn't know why she had quit. She just did. However, Kagome was thankful that the cook had been a bit of a big woman or the food she constantly snuck in would show against her pathetic figure. Kagome looked back outside longingly one last time before pushing down a few wrinkles on her outfit and then going downstairs.
 
As Kagome went down the old narrow staircase, her hand slid down the railing, picking up dust as she continued down. Mentally, she made a note to wash it before her mom noticed the filth on it and got out her favorite stick to beat Kagome with. As Kagome got down to the bottom, she heard the distant sound of music and laughter coming from the dining room. I wonder what's going on.That room's not supposed to be used except for special company.
 
Why don't you go and findout, then? her mind asked.
 
Cursing her curiosity, Kagome silently went up to the edge of the door and saw her mother and a few important looking business men, sitting on her mom's elegant couch and drinking what looked to be red wine. As one of the shorter men made a comment, Kagome's mom threw her head back and gave a loud laugh that echoed throughout the rest of the house. Kagome rolled her eyes. She recognized that laugh. It was the one she used when she was trying to get something.
 
As Kagome watched her mother, her mother just happened to glance at the door and did a double take as she saw Kagome. Her face grew red and Kagome knew she had been caught. Kagome just gave her a tiny wave before walking away from the dining room. Nice one Kag. Now she's going to get that stick for sure. Kagome smiled to herself slightly. But then again, the look on her face waskind of worth it.
 
Kagome went into the back of the house where the kitchen was located and grabbed the broom and mop. Making sure she also grabbed a pail and put warm soapy water in it before going outside, Kagome walked over to the stone steps that were in the back and sat down. She grabbed the mop and rung it out before soaping down the stone steps. As she soaped them down, Kagome began to daydream. In it, she wasn't the low down servant girl, but instead had a normal family who loved her and would do anything for her. She was laughing, she was able to do things with friends, and most importantly she was happy.
 
However, her nice daydream was interrupted when her mother came down the steps looking like a madman. Kagome did a quick calculation in her head and realized with a bit of shock that it had been over an hour that she had been outside. The snapping of her mother's wrist brought Kagome's gaze towards her mother's hand where she had that blasted stick clutched tightly in her fist. It was more like a very big tree branch, but Kagome liked to refer to it as “the stick” instead.
 
Kagome did the one thing any sane person would do: she ran. She knew that running would only make her beating worse, but right then she didn't care. All she knew was that she wanted to prevent the pain she would soon feel as long as possible.
 
Kagome ran past the flower garden and the angel fountain and headed straight for the attic a.k.a her room. When she got there, she locked the door and put her weight against it hoping that she was heavy enough to keep it closed. A few seconds later, the door was thrown open pushing Kagome aside and right into the wall. The pain the door had inflicted on her was nothing compared to the pain of that despised stick hitting her bare flesh.
 
"What the hell did you think you were doing, girl? You are to never eavesdrop onto any conversation I have. Especially with people who may actually see you! People that are actually important!"
 
With each word that came out of her mom's mouth, the stick went deeper and deeper into her flesh until blood began to creep out. By that point, Kagome's body had gone numb and she just lay there while her body was being hit.
 
Finally, her mom stopped and put her hands on her knees, breathing heavily. "That will teach you to ever do that a-again." She sucked in a breath, and made her way back towards the exit. Before leaving, she paused. Casually, as if talking about the weather, she said, “And by the way Kagome, I want all of your chores done before I come back up here. And they better be done right, or your punishment will be nothing compared to what I just did now." Feeling satisfied, her mom walked out the door and down the stairway.
 
But Kagome didn't hear a word she had just said because she had just passed out.
 
A/N: So? Tell me what you thought. Review people! You must review for me!