InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Other Life ❯ Kisses ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: You know what? I have no life. I said in the last chapter that this chapter would take a long time to get here. But I lied. Here it is. It's so depressing to know that I have nothing better to do than to type up my chapters for my story. Do you know how depressing that it is? Okay, I'm going to stop complaining and let you read this story. Hopefully all those hours I spent on the computer will be worth it. Yeah, they just may be worth it.

Kagome's POV

I watched with growing anger as Inuyasha told me that he could have never liked me in a girlfriend type of way. It was annoying, to say the least, that Inuyasha didn't find me attractive. Just to prove him wrong and to hopefully make him admit that I am a pretty girl, or at least prove that he was attracted to me just a little bit, I didn't hesitate in the least to pull him forward and smash my lips to his.

I could tell that Inuyasha was totally taken off guard by my boldness, but at that moment, I didn't exactly care what he thought of me. I was putting my entire concentration into that kiss that I didn't notice at first, that Inuyasha wasn't pushing me away from him. Instead, he was just standing there letting me do all the work. I wasn't going to think about the lack of response I was getting or I would have pulled away in embarrassment.

After another minute, which Inuyasha still hadn't kissed me back, I decided that Inuyasha might have been right. I guess I wasn't attractive enough to make him respond to my kiss. It was either that, or he was holding back not to touch me. Just as I was about to pull away from him and walk away in total humiliation, Inuyasha wrapped his arms around my waist, and began to participate in the kiss I had started. But this time, it was my turn to be shocked.

Inuyasha wasn't a bad kisser. In fact, I would have to say that he had had a lot of practice before me with the way he was kissing me. That thought so annoyed me that I pushed it back into the corners of my mind and I began to concentrate on my very first kiss. Unlike my kiss, Inuyasha's was so enjoyable, that I found myself holding on to his shoulders to make sure he didn't stop anytime soon.

I could feel Inuyasha frown against my lips, and I sensed with growing dread that he was about to pull away. I didn't want that to happen because I knew that when he did he would only laugh in my face about how I couldn't make him respond to my silly kiss, but how he could make me respond to his kiss. So instead of waiting to have myself totally humiliated, I was the one who broke the kiss. It was quite hard to do so since I didn't want to in the first place, but I knew I had to do it or else there would be consequences I would have to pay: like having my pride being stepped on.

Before I could do anything else, Inuyasha looked at me strangely before he said, "You know what? You kiss exactly like Kikyou."

I stood there staring at Inuyasha unable to believe that he had just compared me with her. Instead of taking a step back and putting some distance between us like I should have done as soon as the kiss had ended, I slapped Inuyasha against his cheek leaving a nice big red mark in its place.

I then turned around and stormed off muttering about stupid jerks that couldn't keep their big mouths shut.

Normal POV

Inuyasha put numb fingers to his cheek where the traces of Kagome's slap still lingered. He hadn't meant to say that comment about Kikyou out loud, but he was just so surprised in the way that Kagome kissed him, it just slipped out. Inuyasha sighed to himself, before thinking back to the kiss he had just given Kagome.

Kagome would never know this because Inuyasha would rather have his brother beat him in a fight then admit to her that he had actually enjoyed that kiss. Inuyasha was surprised by it at first, and then appalled because he felt himself actually responding to it. He actually had to restrain himself not to show Kagome that he had been wrong. That he did think she was pretty. Very pretty in fact.

Inuyasha shrugged mentally before grinning. He wasn't able to read minds or anything like that, but Inuyasha was positive that Kagome had been greatly affected by the kiss he had just laid on her. He had actually out done himself if he was to be the one to judge. He usually didn't kiss girls like that unless he really liked them. Not that I like her or anything, Inuyasha was quick to reassure himself. It was just that he had wanted to scare her.

Inuyasha put his fingers to his temple and began to slowly massage them. Okay I need to stop thinking. It's giving my brain a headache. Inuyasha snapped out of his thoughts, and began to make his way toward the palace.

. . .

Kikyou closed the curtains to her window and frowned to herself. She had seen the kiss that Inuyasha had given Kagome, and she hadn't liked the way the kiss had been going. She had just been about to throw something out the window when Kagome had ended it. She knew Inuyasha better than anyone, and though he had tried to hide it, she could tell that even from the distance she was at that he had liked that kiss. And that wasn't good for her. That wasn't good at all.

Kikyou had plans for Inuyasha. Plans that Kagome seemed to be slowing unraveling. She needed to win this bride contest. Her sister was depending on her. The only reason she was here was because of Naraku. If she didn't pay him back for the money that her father had borrowed and never repaid back before he had died, then Naraku would hurt her only family, Kaede. And she couldn't let that happen. She didn't know why her father had gone to Naraku in the first place, and it hadn't been her place to ask him.

Kikyou cursed Kouga like she had done many times in the past when she thought of the reason Inuyasha had dumped her. She and Kouga had been flirting a lot in those days. Inuyasha would always complain about all the time she would spend with Kouga and Kikyou would always tell him it was nothing, just friends having a friendly conversation. But sadly, the one time Kouga decided to make a move on her, was the one and only time that Inuyasha had caught them. One kiss. One measly little kiss and Inuyasha flew into a raging rampage. He threw her out, but not Kouga. That really made Kikyou angry. If she had to leave because of that little mistake, then Kouga deserved to leave also. Kikyou sighed. But he hadn't.

Kikyou smirked to herself as her thoughts left from Kouga and went to Kagome. Kagome had been right in accusing her of stealing the Tetsuiga to get Inuyasha to hate her. However, Kikyou had thought at the time that she would have never seen the girl again. If she had of known otherwise, she would have made sure that Inuyasha would have seen red the next time he saw her.

Kikyou's eyes became even colder as a plan to get rid of Kagome began to form in her mind. Kikyou smirked to herself. And this time Kagome, I'll make sure that you won't interfere in my plans. Permanently.

. . .

Kagome was still fuming over what had happened outside with Inuyasha, so it was no surprise that she wasn't looking where she was going. She was too furious to care at that moment. Since Kagome wasn't paying attention, she bumped into the first thing that crossed her path.

Kagome looked up, ready to yell at the person to watch where they were going, but stopped herself when she saw it was Kouga. Kouga smiled at her.

"The date didn't go so well I take it?"

The mentioning of the date brought back all the embarrassment and anger Kagome had felt, which made her snap, "I would appreciate it if you would mind your own business, Kouga."

Kouga ignored Kagome's snappish answer and said happily, "Well, I'll take that as a no. You know what Kagome? Dog turd isn't good enough for you. I think you need a man that will protect you and make you happy."

Kagome looked at Kouga strangely before giving him a half smile. "Oh yeah?"

Kouga nodded. "Yeah. I think he would have to be brave, strong, a guy who would protect you from harm and that mutt face. Someone like… me."

Kagome's eyes widened slightly before she said in a barely contained voice, "You?"

Kouga nodded again. "I know that you don't know me that well, but I think that if you got to know me, then you would find that I'm right. That I am the right guy for you."

Kagome looked at Kouga in amazement, realizing that he was serious. Kagome didn't want to hurt his feelings with her answer being no, so she remained silent as to think of an answer that would satisfy him.

But Kouga took her silence as a yes. Beaming, Kouga grabbed one of her hand in his, and practically pulled her arm out of its socket when he rushed toward the stairs. Kagome's legs weren't as long nor were they as fast as Kouga's, so when he dragged her up the stairs and headed in the general direction of Kagome's room, Kagome began to protest.

"Kouga, what the heck do you think you are doing? Let me go this instant!"

Kouga didn't look behind himself as he said, "I'm taking you to your room. You can't expect me to still let you live in the palace with dog breath, now can you? I don't trust him not to make a move on my woman."

Kagome looked at Kouga's back before she dug her heels into the ground to make her stop. This proved useless and only made her lose her footing for a few seconds. Kouga didn't seem to notice Kagome's brief act of rebellion. If he did, he chose to ignore it. Seeing as nothing was going to stop Kouga from getting his way, Kagome just sighed and let him drag her to her room.

Kouga didn't bother to knock on the door as he pushed it open. To Kagome, it seemed that he had forgotten that she shared a room with another girl. Thankfully though, the room wasn't occupied.

Kouga let go of Kagome's hands and said, "Pack your things."

Kagome crossed her arms and glared at Kouga. "Did someone hit you over the head or something? What makes you think that I'm going to actually do what you say?"

Kouga didn't show any facial expression as he replied. "Because you're my woman. And you have to do as I say. You're going to move into my home with me and live there."

Kagome sighed. "Okay Kouga, first of all, I'm not moving in with you. I'm staying here in the palace where I belong. And second of all, who gave you permission to decide my life for me? I never said I would be with you. You just assumed it."

Kagome saw a flash of hurt in Kouga's eyes before it disappeared. "You are my woman. Your silence told me that you agreed with me." Kouga's eyebrow rose. "Unless of course you're worried about what other people may say when you move in with me?"

Kagome knew a blush stained her pale cheeks, but she couldn't help it at the moment. She didn't care what people would say about her, it just annoyed the heck out of her that Kouga would decide her future like that. She wasn't some property that he could do with as he pleased; she was a human being who deserved to be treated like one. Scowling, Kagome replied, "I don't care what people think of me Kouga. If that were the case, I wouldn't have been able to survive living with my step mom for all of those years. However, in case you haven't noticed, I didn't want to be here in the first place. I didn't want to get married right now, nor do I want a boyfriend at the moment. I just want to live in peace. So don't go and start deciding my life for me. I can take care of myself."

Kouga didn't say anything. Instead he walked the few inches that were separating them, and drew her into his arms. "But I can make you happy." Kouga's head went forward and he placed his lips gently on hers. As he kissed her, his arms came around her waist to make sure that she didn't move or stop him until he was ready to let her go.

Kagome knew what he was doing was wrong, and she knew that she should push him away, but she couldn't exactly move with the way Kouga was holding her. He was stronger and faster, and she couldn't get out even if she tried. Kagome mentally snorted. So when has that ever stopped you? Kagome began to squirm anyway, even though it was useless.

"Hey Kagome, I didn't know you were back. So how did… it… go…?"

Kagome recognized Sango's voice and realized with growing panic what the scene she must be looking at might look to her. But Kouga was oblivious to everything around him except Kagome. Kagome lifted her knee, and praying that Kouga would forgive her in time, jammed it into his private area. Kouga let her go and howled out his pain.

Turning to Sango, Kagome's smile was way too bright as she fanned her face. "Hi Sango! When did you get here?"

Sango stared at Kagome, then at the rolling figure on the floor, known as Kouga. Swinging her eyes back to Kagome, the corners of Sango's mouth began to twitch before she burst out laughing. Kagome looked daggers at Sango as she slowly fell to the floor, while holding her sides.

Smiling to herself, Kagome looked past Sango and to the entrance at the door. Her grin grew even wider as she said, "Fancy seeing you here Miroku. Whatever you may need, I'm sure Sango would be glad to help you with."

The laughter was abruptly caught off as Sango warily glanced behind herself. Seeing no one, Sango sighed and rose up off the floor. "That was a mean thing to say -"

Sango froze. Just barley, she could feel the touch of something on her butt. Growing red with anger, Sango whipped around and slapped the perverted monk. Miroku fell down to the floor with a satisfied smile on his face.

Sango turned around and was just about to shout at Kagome for the mean trick she had just pulled on her, only to find her gone.

. . .

Kagome laughed delightedly to herself as she thought of the expression on Sango's face. Miroku most likely would probably want to thank her for giving him the pleasure of touching Sango, but Kagome liked to think of it as spicing up her life. If Sango was the type of person Kagome thought she was, the type that would go for revenge, then her time spent here would be a lot more fun.

Kagome smiled to herself, imagining all the things she could do Sango once war had been declared. As she was walking, the faint noise of an object being thrown against the wall caught Kagome's attention. The noise was next door to Kagome's room. That meant the noise had come from Kikyou's room.

Kagome frowned to herself. Even though she knew she wasn't a sneaky person at heart, sometimes she just couldn't help herself. Kagome softly sighed, before turning around from the edge of the stairs she had just been about to go down and silently made her way toward Kikyou's door. You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the pampered princess was angry about something with the way she was screaming her head off. Kagome smiled at the thought of an angry Kikyou.

There was another crash against the wall, and then silence. Kagome frowned. Okay there is no way that Kikyou could have just stopped her temper out of mid-air; especially with the way she was throwing all of those things. I mean, when someone who's that angry can just stop, then there's reason for alarm. Deciding to check it out, Kagome opened the door just a slither, and peeked inside. And what she could see left her speechless.

The room had things everywhere. Where there was once a nice fluffy brown beige carpet, now had shards of glass in it. Kagome's nose scrunched up at the smell rising from it. It wasn't that hard to identify the smell since it was pretty commonly known. Kagome especially was an expert on using vinegar for a lot of things when she had been living with her step mom. Her curiosity piqued, Kagome decided to throw caution to the wind and see what the rest of the room looked like. Kagome opened the door all the way and stepped inside.

The blood red curtains that had hung over the window were now ripped in shreds. Both beds' had had their sheets thrown off and were lying on the floor in pieces. The pink silk pillows that were still lying on the beds had a few feathers on top, while the rest of them lay in different piles spread out on the carpet. Both Kikyou's and Kagura's beds had knife slices going threw them. The dressers' windows were cracked and drawers lay spread out onto the floor with the clothing gone. And in all of this mess stood a very angry Kikyou.

Kikyou stared at Kagome coldly before her face took on a surprised then sly expression. Purring, she said, "Well if it isn't the robber who came back to the scene of the crime. What did you forget to take Kagome? My jewelry? Or perhaps my money? Kami knows that we wouldn't you to go broke."

Kagome's mind hadn't fully registered what Kikyou was implying. She was still in shock by the room's appearance to do or say anything. She finally snapped out of it and said sincerely, "I'm so sorry Kikyou. What happened here? Who robbed you?"

Kikyou just gave a snide laugh. "Don't play the innocent little girl with me, Kagome. We already know of your tendencies to steal things that don't belong to you, now don't we?"

Kagome didn't bother to answer but simply said, "No actually. I never heard of myself doing that kind of stuff. I do, however, know of your tendencies to blame people for things that they didn't do."

Kikyou looked at Kagome for a few seconds before shrugging. "So what? Inuyasha was mine. He still is. And he will always remain mine. I just had to make sure that you didn't get in the way with my plans."

Kagome didn't respond, as she was surprised that Kikyou had admitted to setting her up to say anything at all. Instead she just looked at her and waited for her to continue.

"I need Inuyasha for myself so that he can pay off my father's debts to Naraku. I already know that the fool is still in love with me, though he desperately tries to hide it from me when he's in my company. There's no way that these other girls have a chance once I work my magic upon him. And that includes you Kagome."

Kagome glared at Kikyou. "So what you're telling me is that you just want Inuyasha for his money and not for himself?"

Kikyou smiled. "Isn't that what I just said?"

Kagome shook her head, unwilling to believe that Kikyou could be that cold. It still failed to amaze her how far that this woman would go. It didn't matter who got in her way, it seemed she would always get what she wanted in the end. Cheerfully, she said, "Well good luck trying to get him. I highly doubt you'll win him over with me being here, but you can always try."

Kikyou stared at Kagome like she was crazy before crossing her arms and scoffing at Kagome's comment. "You're not going to get him Kagome. He doesn't even like you. I made sure of that in case you forgot."

Kagome's shrug was casual. "True, but I can make him like me if I really put my mind to it. You watch me Kikyou. By the time this is over, I'll be the winner, and you'll be packing your stuff to go home."

Kikyou smiled to herself, but didn't say a word. Instead she walked over to the window at the opposite side of the room, and looked down. She didn't turn around as she spoke. "Trust me Kagome. After this, Inuyasha will never trust you, not to mention consider you, when I'm through with you."

Kagome wasn't given a chance to reply before the doors were burst open and Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, Kagura, and Sango walked in. Kagome would have laughed at their expressions if Sesshomaru hadn't just given her a look that said he felt she had something to do with the mess. Kikyou took advantage of everyone's shock to speak about the trashed room.

In a voice that gave no doubt she was angry, yet scared at the same time, said, "If you're wondering what happened here then I can tell you only a little bit. All I know was that a thief came here to rob me of something. And yes I was sure it was I, not Kagura. They wanted to take a jewel that has been in my family for generations. It's called the Jewel of Four Souls. I guess you can say that it's worth a lot of money. Why was it stolen? I guess for the money. Who stole it? You'll just have to ask her," Kikyou said, pointing to Kagome.

Kagome's voice turned high pitched as she said, "Me? Why would I know anything about this? I wasn't here when this happened!" As Kagome looked at each face, she could tell that the only one who believed her was Sango.

Angrily, she said, "I can't believe this! It's the sword story all over again!"

Kikyou, deciding that everyone else still needed some more convincing, said, "Don't even start on that, Kagome. We all know that you had taken the sword from Inuyasha. So don't even start trying to deny it now when we all know the truth. What I want to know is where the Shikon No Tama is?"

Kagome wasn't listening to a word Kikyou was saying. She was instead trying to concentrate on keeping the tears that were threatening to fall down her face, from falling until she was alone to cry her eyes out.

Kikyou noted with satisfaction the glazed look in her eye and said almost happily, "I do believe that the little thief is about to cry."

Kagome didn't have to look up from the spot on the floor she was looking at to know that every single pair of eyes was looking at her. Kagome knew that she was a second away from crying her eyes out, and said tonelessly, "I have to go. Excuse me." Not waiting for a reply, Kagome pushed past everyone who was blocking the door and quickly walked away from her room and down the stairs.

Her foot had barely touched the last step before the tears that she had desperately been holding back were falling freely down her face. Kagome wiped them off her cheeks angrily before practically running toward the front door. Not bothering to close it softly, Kagome let the huge doors slam shut as soon as she got outside.

Kagome walked over to the lake she had an hour before had hurriedly tried to leave. Kagome flopped down onto the grass, drew up her legs, and buried her face into them. The tears that fell onto her knees, Kagome ignored seeing as that was the only thing she could do aside from brushing them off.

Kagome didn't blame Kikyou for what she had done. In a sense, Kagome sort of felt like she had deserved it. She knew from the start that she couldn't trust Kikyou, but something inside Kagome had hoped she had changed. It kind of sounded silly, but Kagome had thought that maybe she and Kikyou could have been friends.

Which brought back a fresh new set of tears as Kagome realized that Kikyou would never change. She and Kikyou could never actually like each other. Kikyou hated her too much. "I'm so damn stupid," Kagome mumbled miserably.

The wind gently blew against Kagome's arms, as if it were trying to offer her some form of comfort. Sighing, Kagome lifted her head up from her knees. The thoughts of Kikyou also brought back the thought of why Kikyou was being so nasty to her. Why there was no chance in hell of them ever even tolerating each other. It was all because of Inuyasha. It always seemed to be about Inuyasha.

Kikyou had been right up to a point when she had said that Inuyasha was still in love with her. Kagome may have not seen him in over five years, but even she could see that when he wasn't guarding his expressions, he always looked at Kikyou what Kagome could only term as tenderness. Well, Kagome thought in disgust, I wouldn't exactly say tenderness. More like he still likes her enough that he cares for her. Kagome's eyes widened in realization. This means that I don't have a chance of ever winning this. In the end, Kikyou will be the last girl here, and I'll be the one packing.

That thought depressed Kagome so much, that she thought she was about to cry again. Hating herself for caring so much, Kagome got off the damp floor and brushed off the sundress that Sango had let he borrow. Kagome didn't take very long to wipe off the twigs that were still clinging to the dress. A few brushes here and there to get most of the dirt off and Kagome turned away from the lake to go back to the palace only to be met face to face with Inuyasha.

. . .

Inuyasha didn't do anything except stand there with his arms crossed over his chest looking at Kagome with an unreadable expression. Inuyasha was the last person she had wanted to see at that moment. Considering how he was the person that she had been thinking about, it was kind of unnerving to see him there all of a sudden.

Not wanting to say anything, Kagome tried to push past him like she had done when escaping out of her room. But when Inuyasha grabbed her arm, Kagome realized that the only reason she had gotten out of the door before was because every one had let her go.

Kagome tried to wrench her arm from his grasp, but she was soon to find out that she would leave when Inuyasha was ready for her to leave. Inuyasha pulled Kagome back towards the tree near the lake and pulled her down. Curtly, he told her to sit. Kagome did as he said and folder her hands in her lap, waiting for Inuyasha to say whatever he wanted to say.

Inuyasha looked at Kagome to make sure she had done as he had told her and then switched his gaze to look at the pinkish-orange sunset. It was a nice evening with a gentle breeze and the few birds that still chirped. Inuyasha's smile was happy as he remembered all of the times that he and his mother had sat at the very same place and watched the sunsets in the evening. Quietly, he asked, "The sunset sure is beautiful tonight, don't you think? I can't remember a time in a long time where it was this pretty."

Kagome resisted the urge to laugh at the mental picture she had drawn up at the thought of Inuyasha looking at sunsets.

Looking over at Kagome, Inuyasha smiled at her and said, "You know, I don't think Kikyou really meant what she said back there. I think that she was just jealous."

Kagome turned her head away from Inuyasha's probing gaze when she answered him. "But I think she did Inuyasha. And you know as well as I do, that Kikyou hates me because of what happened five years ago. That's just how Kikyou is. Besides," she said jokingly, "it's not like she hasn't done this to me before. I think I can stand another one of her insults."

"If that's the case, then how come you left in tears back there?"

What was left of Kagome's smile died on her lips. Kagome knew that Inuyasha was right. If she could stand another one of Kikyou's insults, then why did she leave in tears? Kagome wasn't the type to back away from her feelings, so when she realized that the only reason she had left her room in tears was because she had been hurt by what Kikyou had said, she shook her head and rested her head on her knees. "Most likely Inuyasha, it was because what Kikyou had said had hurt. I'm always used to being tuff. The idea that someone could make me cry after all these years was kind of unnerving. It scared me."

Inuyasha wasn't sure why he felt angry at the thought of Kagome being hurt, but he knew that he did and that he wanted to comfort her. The problem was, was that he didn't know how. Hesitantly, Inuyasha took Kagome's hand in his, hoping that she wouldn't reject the only time of comfort that Inuyasha knew how to give. He was relieved to see that she didn't yank her hand away, but instead gave him a smile that took his breath away.

Inuyasha turned his head back toward the sunset and he and Kagome watched it together in silence. No words needed to be said as he Inuyasha felt they had all been said earlier. All he they needed to do was watch the sun set.

Kagome smiled to herself and looked at Inuyasha through the corner of her eye. When he wasn't being obnoxious and rude, he was really a great companion to be around with. Kagome shivered slightly as another breeze hit her skin and made her aware that she was still in Sango's sundress. Kagome drew her hand out of Inuyasha's and rose. She wasn't certain whether he was going to leave with her back to the palace, or if he would stay at the lake and watch the rest of the sunset.

When he didn't immediately rise to go with her, Kagome concluded that he was going to stay. Instantly, Kagome felt a pang of regret that he wasn't about to come with her. Kagome began to softly make her way through the grass and toward the palace, and softly said to herself that Inuyasha wouldn't hear, "Thanks Inuyasha."

Kagome still didn't know about Inuyasha being a hanyou, so was surprised when he answered her. "You're welcome." As an afterthought, he said, "Kagome."

Kagome didn't have to tell Inuyasha how much that meant to her, him saying her name. So she showed him. Before she lost her nerve, Kagome swooped down and kissed Inuyasha on the cheek. Then she quickly walked away back to the palace.

But if she had stayed to see Inuyasha's reaction, she would have seen his surprise first; then she would have seen his smile.

A/N: Yeah, so as you can tell I decided that this story needed a little bit more romance and a little less fighting. So the next chapter may have no fighting at all and a lot of romance. Or maybe it will have a lot of fighting and no romance. Or it could have both. I don't know. I haven't thought that far ahead yet. But I will. Eventually.