InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Other Life ❯ Party Preperations ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Read me! I'm important!!!Okay, before I go on with my important notice, let me say two things: I am very sorry for updating so late. I just haven't been able to find any inspiration with this story. I'm finding myself having to force myself to write this, and that's not how I like doing things. Hopefully, I'll be like I was when I first started this story. I had so many ideas, then. Now they're all gone. Secondly, if you've read the rest of Formulating a plan, then skip the rest of this note. If not, continue on.

Okay, so instead of being like the other author's and posting another chapter, I decided to just insert the rest of the chapter by editing it and putting in the ending. So, I highly advise you to go back to Formulating a plan and finish reading what happened. Otherwise, you won't know what the heck is going on. So do you understand? Go back, finish the chapter before this one, then come back and read this chapter. Simple, no?

. . .

"My lovely Sango, you simply look ravishing tonight. Is that a new dress? I think it is!" Miroku gushed, while at the same time longingly staring at the amount of flesh that wasn't shown by Sango's shawl.

Kagome looked on in amusement as Miroku continued to drool over Sango's appearance. She turned slightly when a flash of movement caught her eye and saw Sesshomaru sitting in a chair, silently waiting for, she assumed, Inuyasha.

Sesshomaru was wearing a loose black silk button down shirt and black pants. He had on a white fur boa that had been carelessly tossed over his shoulder and rested against his back. His white hair lay peacefully over his body, and while Kagome loathed admitting it, Sesshomaru looked pretty good. In fact, he looked better than good. As some people might say, he looked good enough to eat.

But not as good as Inuyasha does when he's in a bathing suit, huh Kagome? He looks good enough to - Kagome squelched the thought before it could go any further.

"Alright, we're all here! Now what's the big deal with making us dress up Sesshomaru?" Sango asked, slightly annoyed.

Sesshomaru stared at Sango for a few moments without blinking before he said coldly, "Wait until Kagura gets here, and then we will be able to start."

Sango glared at Sesshomaru's mane of white hair before she turned away from the door and Miroku, and headed toward Kagome.

"I don't exactly see the point of doing this Sesshomaru. I mean, what are we going to do, try and `woo' Inuyasha again?"

"As much fun as you probably think that is, I don't want to be `wooed' by any female, human or demon." Inuyasha stated, as he entered the room.

All of Kagome's senses went on red alert as she heard Inuyasha's oh so beautiful voice. Since she didn't want to show him how nervous she was Kagome took some time trying to compose herself.

Inuyasha stared at Kagome. She was beautiful. He had never seen a girl as pretty as her. Except for maybe Kikyou. But then again, Kikyou didn't have the simplicity of life as Kagome did.

You're acting like a love sick fool, Inuyasha. I mean, sheesh man, she's only a female. Stop mooning over her like an adoring idiot.

Inuyasha frowned at these thoughts and abruptly turned away from Kagome and went to find himself a seat, preferably the floor.

"If this is another one of our `challenges', I have to say it's pretty stupid. I mean, what the heck do we have to do?" Sango grumbled again.

"You need to have some patience, Sango. Wait until Kagura gets here."

Sango sent an annoyed glance at her friend, before saying huffily, "Well she's taking her damn time getting here."

. . .

 

Kagura leaned her back against the wall of the garden, waiting for Naraku. It was time for Kagura to give Naraku an update on what was going on. Not that he needed her to do it. Naraku could very well find out what was happening inside the palace, without Kagura's help; he just wanted to remind her why she was even in the stupid contest.

Like I need reminding, Kagura thought, annoyed. Every time I see Kagome's face, I remember why I'm here.

"I see you have come Kagura. I am pleased."

Kagura turned her eyes toward the part of the garden where the shadows were most, and said, "You knew I would Naraku. It's not like I have a choice, anyway."

Naraku suddenly was feet apart from Kagura. Kagura didn't so much as bat an eyelash at the way he had suddenly appeared. By now, she was used to his disappearing and re-appearing acts.

"Well?" he asked, in an impatient tone. "What do you have?"

Kagura sighed before saying, "I hope you know that Sesshomaru called a meeting. I'm supposed to be there, Naraku. They're going to get suspicious if I take to long, so please don't ask too many questions so I can get back."

With a snarl, Naraku had one hand closed around Kagura's throat. Squeezing it hard enough to stop any air from entering her lungs, Naraku said coolly, "Now Kagura. You should know by now that I don't like it when you start talking to me like you're my superior." Naraku squeezed his hand harder. He watched in pleasure as Kagura's pale face took on a bluish color.

"Now I want you to repeat what you just said, but make it more respectful."

With snake like movements, Naraku's hand was gone from Kagura's throat, and Kagura was able to take in mouthfuls of air. Naraku allowed her a couple seconds before saying, "Well?"

Kagura turned a hateful gaze onto Naraku before saying tonelessly, "I have to be in a meeting soon. I'll make this quick. Nothing has really changed. Everything is the same, though I think there will be another `challenge'."

Naraku nodded his head slightly, and then asked, "And what about Kagome?"

Kagura glared at Naraku before saying, "What about her? The only thing I know is that she has some fiancée waiting to marry her. Inuyasha didn't take to kindly to the idea of her marrying some other guy, though."

Naraku said thoughtfully, "And how did you find this information out? I'm pretty sure that you weren't part of the conversation."

Kagura's smile was mysterious as she said, "I have my ways Naraku. I don't compare myself to the wind for nothing."

Naraku clucked his tongue. "What is the boy's name?"

Kagura shrugged. "It was something like Hobo, or Homo or something like that. At least, I think that was what Kagome told Inuyasha."

Naraku stared at Kagura for a few moments before saying, "Hojo. The boy's name is Hojo." There was silence for a few moments before Naraku said, "And if that's the case, then we're just going to have to invite the boy right over, now won't we?"

With glee, Naraku began to fade back into the shadows. Always wanting to have the last word, he said, "I want you to make sure that whatever the next challenge is, Kagome fails. I want her to be eliminated the next round Kagura. If she's not, you'll pay…."

Kagura stood statue still before she turned away from shadows and began walking toward the palace doors again.

. . .

 

Kagome held Sango's arms as she tried to wiggle away from her. Sango snarled, "If you so much as think about me, I will be there to make sure you pay Miroku! Do you hear me? Don't come near me!"

Kagome looked at the stricken expression that had ridden across Miroku's face. Gently, she said, "Don't you think you're being a little dramatic Sango? Miroku, it seems, has an addiction when it comes to women."

Sango was finally able to escape from Kagome's grasp. Unhappily, she said, "In case you didn't notice Kagome, he only gropes me. I have never in my time being here, seen him grope you, or Kagura, or even Kikyou."

"If he groped Kagome or Kikyou, I would have made sure he was feeling his bruises for a whole year," Inuyasha said, amused.

It was amazing how just another one of Miroku's simple gropes could have set off Sango like this. It had proved to be wonderful entertainment while every one waited for Kagura to appear. Though, now that he thought about it, why hadn't Miroku groped any of the girls' besides Sango? It's not like Inuyasha's threats had worked on Miroku before.

As if he read his thoughts, Miroku said from his place on the floor, "Because I've never had a moment to. Once I find the right moment, I will."

Kagome looked at Miroku like in pity. Didn't he just know that he had just sealed his fate with that comment?

With a growl, Inuyasha leaped up from his spot on the floor and walked over to where Miroku was leaning against the wall near the door. "And what in all the seven hells' is that supposed to mean?"

Miroku's grin didn't spread fully across his face because of the pain he felt when he did. "What do you think it means?" Miroku's eyes flashed at Inuyasha.

Inuyasha glared at Miroku for a few seconds before he remembered what his friend had said about wanting to get to know Sango better. Realizing that he didn't want Sango to know his intentions yet, Inuyasha smirked at Miroku before mumbling under his breath, "Fool."

Inuyasha walked away from Miroku and sat in one of the chairs.

"All right, I'm here." Kagura slammed the once closed door open, and in the process, hit Miroku, who was sitting next to the door.

With a yelp, Miroku fell down, unconscious. Kagura looked over at the fallen man, before shrugging to her self mentally. The guy shouldn't have been in the way in the first place.

Inuyasha shook his head again and this time muttered, "Idiot."

Sango was the first one to see if Miroku was alright. She pulled her lip between her teeth, while her fingers gently roamed over his head and face for any lumps or bruises.

Kagome watched Sango with a small smile on her face. It was obvious to her and everyone else that she cared for him. Now if she would stop being so stubborn and admit it, she and Miroku could, and would, be a lot happier.

Satisfied that, except for a few minor bruises, Miroku was going to be okay, Sango rose and glared at Kagura. "Did you have to come banging in here like that? You could have seriously hurt him."

Kagura just shrugged her shoulders, and didn't say anything. She really could care less if she had issued some harm to the poor man. As far as she was concerned, Miroku could have passed out or died. It didn't make much difference to her.

Sesshomaru rose from his seat in the chair which drew everybody's eyeballs to him. In a quiet commanding tone, he said, "Now that every one is here, I would like to start. If you would have a seat Kagura," Sesshomaru gestured towards one of the chairs with one of his hands, "we will begin."

Kagura sat down in one of the plush chairs. It took Sango a little longer for her to do the same, but in the end, she did as she was told.

"I am glad that you all followed my orders and dressed in your best attire. If you hadn't of, I would feel sorry for you."

Kagome could tell that by Sesshomaru's tone of voice, that he would have felt the exact opposite. "Would you just please tell us what's going on Sesshomaru? Stop talking in riddles. It's annoying."

Sesshomaru didn't bother to answer or acknowledge Kagome as he said, "I have invited all of the Lords and Ladies of importance over. I -"

Inuyasha cut in. "Why would you invite those snobs? They all think they're better than us."

"Will you let him finish Inuyasha? The man is trying to speak." Kagome scolded.

Inuyasha glared at Kagome and put his arms over his chest. "Whatever."

"They're not snobs Inuyasha. You just don't like them because they won't accept you. A half-demon." Ignoring Inuyasha's snarl, Sesshomaru continued, "Kagura, Kagome, and Sango will each be tested on poise, grace, manners, and how they keep our guests entertained. Also, there will be three problems throughout the night. A problem for each of you, I guess you could say. You will know if it's your problem. You cannot ask for help when it is your turn, for this will show you do not know how to handle a situation without asking for someone else's assistance. The problems will be throughout the evening, so you will not know ahead of time."

Sango, Kagura, and Kagome all stared at Sesshomaru. Kagome was the one who spoke the question in each of their minds, "So basically, this will show how, if there was an attack on the palace or something, we act during something unexpected?"

Sesshomaru nodded. "Correct."

Kagome shared a worried glance with Sango before asking, "And what if we happen to, oh, I don't know, fail?"

A half of a smirk played across Sesshomaru's face as he answered. "It's quite simple. The two who are not able to complete this simple task will be eliminated. The one who wins will become the new Queen of the Western Lands."

Sango sucked in a quick breath while Kagome stared. Kagura smirked at both of her rival's expressions. This will be a piece of cake. Not only is this too easy, it makes me happy with relief knowing that I will be able to get out Naraku's grasp.

Kagome finally snapped out of her state of surprise and shrugged. "Alright, I'm in. This won't be too hard considering I had to do this when mother dearest had her, uh, `friends' over."

Sango snapped out of her shock over hearing the words, Queen of the Western Lands. If she was able to pass this, then she could save Kohaku's life. She would have the money to do it. But you'll be married to Inuyasha. And you don't love him that way. You love -

Shut up! I can learn to love him. Sango screamed in her mind.

Quietly, her mind replied, You can't. You love Miroku.

Sango grew slightly pale at those words, but didn't deny them. Yes, she was in love with Miroku, but she couldn't do anything about it. Miroku didn't have the money like Inuyasha did to save her. If only he did…

"And what am I going to be doing this whole time, Sesshomaru? I hope you seriously don't expect me to just sit in my room and twiddle my thumbs, because I won't."

Sesshomaru looked over to where his brother sat, and smiled. To Inuyasha it looked more like a sneer than a smile. "You, dear brother, will be with me, greeting and mingling with our guests. You will be pleasant to them and, for once, will not show them your barbaric behavior."

Inuyasha rose form his chair. "And what the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Sesshomaru rose from his seat also and said, "Exactly as it sounds."

Inuyasha was about to start swinging his fist when Kagome jumped up and put a restraining hand around his arm. "Calm down Inuyasha. Sesshomaru only does this type of stuff to rile you up. Don't take the bait."

Inuyasha's eyes never left his brothers as they stared each other down. Finally, with a grunt, Inuyasha pushed Kagome's hand off of his arm and walked out of the room. Kagome watched him go with sad eyes.

If only he could learn some patience. Sesshomaru only does that because he knows what Inuyasha's reaction will be, Kagome reflected.

Acting as if nothing had happened, Sesshomaru turned towards the rest of the people hanging in the room. "They will be here in half an hour. Be ready."

He walked to the door and left. Kagome shook her head, while at the same time wondering how anyone was going to get through the evening.

. . .

 

"Do you have everything ready to go Kagome?" Sango asked, while putting the final touches of pink eyeshade on her eyelids.

Kagome nodded. "Yeah, I'm ready. I've been ready for the last half hour. Kami, I'm so nervous. What if I mess up? What if I say or do something wrong?"

Sango chuckled before turning around. "Relax Kagome. You won't mess up. Just think of Kikyou's face and what she would have done if she was here."

Kagome wailed, "That won't help me! Kikyou would have passed through this with no problem. Kikyou is used to this type of life. I'm not. And I don't wanna be!"

Sango sighed before she linked her arm through Kagome's and began to half pull, half drag, her towards the stairs. "Will you stop your whining? What if the guests were here and they saw that? Do you think that would make a good impression on them?"

Kagome sighed before pulling herself together. "You're right. I have to pull myself together."

Kagome looked at Sango through the corner of her eyes and noticed how cool and collected she was. Just like a future princess should, Kagome thought.

The thought of confronting all of the people that were soon to arrive gave Kagome the shivers. It wasn't like she was shy, because she wasn't. But this all reminded her of when her mother used to have company over. Kagome would have to act like the perfect angel or else all hell would break loose when she and her mother were alone.

Oh suck it up and just do it. I mean, what's the worse that can happen? her inner voice asked.

I can lose, that's what.

Oh stop being such a crybaby. If you were able to escape from the clutches of your mom, this should be a piece of cake.

I didn't escape. I was caught no thanks to you, which reminds me. Didn't I tell you not to talk to me again?

No. You said you weren't taking advice from me again.

So, why am I listening to you? Kagome ignored her conscious from then on. She meant what she said. She was never taking advice from her inner conscious again.

As Sango and Kagome drew closer to the main doors, Kagome smirked. It was now or never. Should she throw in the towel and give up? Or should she go on and see what her problem would be?

Sesshomaru nodded at Sango and Kagome. He silently gestured to where Kagura was standing for them to stand by her.

Sesshomaru turned towards the ladies and said, "As soon as the first guest comes, I will leave all into your hands. Just remember: no help."

With that last remaining comment, Sesshomaru faded into the darkness, leaving the girls' alone.

Kagome shifted from one foot to the other, while Sango stood there, waiting. Kagome glanced towards Kagura and noticed with surprise she was wearing the same outfit when she first met her: a few feathers in her hair to hold it in place, with a loose fitting outfit with different designs that Kagome still hadn't figured out what they were supposed to represent.

Kagome was brought out of her musings when the first knock was heard. To her, it was like the call of death.

A butler came out of nowhere to answer the door. Kagome watched the big wooden doors open wider and wider until two faces were shown.

Kagome and the rest of the girls curtsied as a fat wolf demon and his lady entered. The Lord's nose began twitching and he turned towards the three girls' at the side.

With a sniff, he said, "I take it you're the three women Lord Sesshomaru has chosen for his barbaric brother?"

A chorus of yes milord's was heard before the wolf turned back towards the hallway. A servant appeared out of nowhere to take the wolf demons' coats. Tonelessly, the servant said, "If you will please follow me, I will show you to the ballroom."

Kagome watched the wolf go. She had a hunch that, if that guy's attitude was in any shape or form similar to any of the other guests attitudes, it was going to be a long night.

Kagome turned towards the other Kagura and Sango and asked, "Shouldn't one of us be attending to whatever his name is?"

Kagura nodded slightly before she left the hallway and disappeared around the corner.

A second later, another knock was heard and the butler answered it. Sango and Kagome both curtsied as a bat demon entered. Kagome noticed that his huge wings were resting against his back. Kagome's head rose again and she said, "Welcome. I hope that you will enjoy the party. There are refreshments and dancing in the ballroom. A servant will show you the way."

The bat demon smiled at Kagome, and with a start, Kagome realized that he had a certain gleam in his eye. Kagome wasn't sure what that gleam meant, but it gave her the shivers thinking about it.

With a slight Romanian accent, the bat demon said, "My name is Daichi Tatsuya, or Lord Tatsuya. It is a pleasure to finally meet you." Kagome knew she should stick her hand out or something like that for him to kiss it, but the guy was too creepy!

With a false, cheery smile, Kagome replied, "It is very nice to meet you Lord Tatsuya. Is there a Lady Tatsuya?"

Daichi smiled and moved out of the way to let a woman enter. He gestured towards her and said, "This is my date for the night."

Sango and Kagome turned and smiled at the woman, only to have that smile die on their lips.

The woman smiled coldly at Kagome and Sango, but mostly at Kagome.

"Hello Kagome."

"Hello Kikyou."

A/N: Hmm, cliffy. Don't think I should have done that. Oh well. Okay, seeing as I have major writer's block, I need some help. In your reviews, if you could give me some ideas on what `problems' the girls should run into, it would be a lot of help. If I can get some ideas, then I'll most likely update faster. And ya'll want me to update faster, don't ya? So, the more ideas I get, the faster I'll most likely update.