InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Other Life ❯ Formulating A Plan ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Alright, I'm back! Everything went well. So here's the complete chapter. Oh yeah. Did I fail to mention that I did get in the whole ambassador thing? I didn't? Oh, well then let me inform you that I got into the Student Ambassador thing!

Kagome's POV

Was Inuyasha going to stare at me all day or was he going to say something? I know the news of my engagement may have come to a shock to him, but it wasn't that shocking. Then again, I could be wrong in assuming he was shocked. Maybe he was so darn happy that he was speechless for words. My eyes began to fill with tears and I realized in horror that I was about to cry. Under any other circumstances, I would have let the tears fall, but since Inuyasha was standing only a few feet away from me...

"Are you just going to stare at her all day Inuyasha or are you going to say something," Sango growled.

I could hear the snapping of Inuyasha's jaw as he shut it. "You want me to say something? Fine. What the hell do you mean Kagome's engaged?!"

I quietly giggled at the tone of Inuyasha's voice. I could feel Sango's eyes on my back as she turned to look at me. Her voice was filled with concern as she asked me, "Are you crying Kagome?"

I silently shook my head. "I'm fine Sango." I lifted my face up and smirked. I could feel my usual self coming back.

"So Inuyasha, how does it feel to have one of your `brides' leave this whole contest without you giving them the foot? I bet it feels pretty good, huh?" I was kind of surprised that this came out so bitterly. Inuyasha didn't seem to notice though.

Inuyasha glared at me. "Who said you were actually leaving?"

I opened my mouth to respond then shut it. What did he mean by that? Cautiously, I asked, "What are you talking about Inuyasha? Did you not just hear me say I was engaged? I have to leave here to actually marry Hojo, you know."

Inuyasha's smile was arrogant. "You can't leave until I say you can."

My smile was just as overconfident as I replied, "But you had already told me I could leave, remember? You said you never wanted to see me again."

Inuyasha turned back to glaring at me again. "That doesn't count and you know it."

I smiled but didn't say anything. While still glaring at me, Inuyasha said, "I bet you're not even engaged. You just made that up so you can get out of the palace and go back to the life you used to live."

The mention of my adoptive mom brought the whole reason I was engaged back to full force. It was because of her that I was even engaged. It was because of her that I had to get married in the first place. I spoke quietly as I looked Inuyasha in the eye. "My life wasn't happy Inuyasha. It never was. Do you think living your life in constant fear every day wondering whether you were going to live or die is happy? Always wondering if you were going to get a meal that day or if you were to starve?" With each word that came out of my mouth, my voice raised a notch. By the time I was talking about my meals, I was yelling.

Inuyasha looked at me strangely before saying, "Actually I do know. If you were to step into my body and go back in my past when I had been a child, then you would see what life was like for me. A half- demon." Inuyasha spit the word out like it was poison.

If I hadn't of been so angry, I would have been sympathetic, but seeing as I was angry, I held not an ounce of pity. "You, at least, had someone to comfort you. I had no one. Nobody comforted me when that witch beat me or when -"

Inuyasha cut me off. "What do you mean when she beat you? Who beat you?"

"Who do you think you nincompoop? My mother."

Inuyasha frowned. "Your mother never beat you. I never once saw a single scar on your skin. So don't give me that bunch of baloney."

My eyes just grew cold. And then I did the stupidest thing ever - I showed him my scars. Not the tiny ones on my shoulders; no, I had to show him the ones that haven't exactly healed yet. I'm talking about the ones on my back. That's where the most damage had been done.

I don't even know why I did it. Maybe just to prove him wrong. Or maybe it was because I wanted to see the shock on his face. Whatever the reason, I knew I had made a mistake as soon as I looked at Inuyasha's expression.

Shock would not be a strong enough word to explain the expression on Inuyasha's face. It was more along the lines of speechlessness and... pity. It was the pity part that made me get even angrier if possible.

So as soon as I had lifted up the back of my nightgown, it was back down in a flash. My eyes were defensive as I stared Inuyasha down. "So do you believe me now?"

Inuyasha looked at me then back at my back. Softly, he said, "I never knew."

I just snorted. "You know now." I took a threatening step forward. "And if you tell anyone, and I mean anyone, about what you just saw, I will personally make sure that that will be the last thing you ever say."

Inuyasha didn't agree or disagree so I took this as a maybe. I crossed my arms over my chest and said, "So do you want to know why she did what she did or not? Because trust me. I'll enjoy telling you."

Normal POV

Inuyasha shrugged his shoulders in an indifferent way like he didn't care, when that was the exact opposite. You could see the tight clenching of his jaw and the way he had to force himself to hold back his emotions. But Kagome wasn't really paying attention to what Inuyasha was doing. She was more concerned with her inner turmoil.

Taking a deep breath, Kagome said, "I'm not going to bore you with the details of all the things I went through Inuyasha. I'll just give you a brief summary." Kagome paused to rub her hands up and down over her arms in an unconscious way before she continued. "My mother wasn't exactly a... nice person. She was more along the lines of a cruel human being. She got a kick out of seeing others uncomfortable or in pain. The servants were terrified of her and not a single member of the staff would ever disobey her in fear of being punished." Kagome stopped talking and turned to face the window.

Her voice was soft as she continued speaking. "When she had first adopted me, she was really nice to me. She'd give me all the candy, clothes, and even love that I could ever need or want. However, when she finally realized that I wasn't going to be able to be the perfect daughter she wanted, she basically treated me like something underneath her shoe. Something that wasn't worth her time or attention. When you came, Inuyasha, and made those declarations of me stealing your sword, she was pretty angry. But she became downright furious when she had found out she was going to be the one to pay for it. That's when the beatings started." Kagome gazed at his expression to see what he thought of her tale so far, but his face gave away nothing.

"I basically was getting beat everyday for the tiniest things. Not waking up in time, not doing my chores well enough, not speaking quick enough, etc. Before you guys had kidnapped me, my mother had promised me that one way or another, she was going to pay off that debt. And she was going to make me suffer for it too."

Kagome shrugged. "It really wasn't a big deal to me then. She always threatened me so I was used to it. But what makes me puzzled is why would she set up an engagement to some one who would take care of me? Her whole purpose in life is to make my life miserable. I highly doubt Hojo could hit or abuse me let alone hurt me in any way. That's what's not making sense. What does she have up her sleeve?"

Inuyasha didn't make a reply at first, but instead just stood there looking like he was trying to sort out what he wanted to say. After a few moments he spoke. "If what you say is true Kagome, then you have to take some action now. You can't just wait here and see what your mother cooks up for you. You have to be the one to take matters into your own hands. I am not going to just sit here and wait for her to send another creep-o to try and kidnap you."

Kagome shook her head. "I already know that Inuyasha. Do you think I'm stupid or something?" Before Inuyasha could answer the question, Kagome quickly rushed on, "But what I was thinking was more along the lines of having you send a message to my mom and tell her that she doesn't have to pay for the sword seeing as I really didn't do it." Kagome studied Inuyasha with searching eyes to see if he would deny or approve what she had just said.

Inuyasha hesitated in answering. "Well Kagome, I can't exactly do that. Sesshomaru is the one who actually wanted your mother to pay for it, not me. I didn't exactly care for that dumb sword, but seeing as Sesshomaru was obsessed with Tetsusiga, he was pretty angry with me for letting a stupid girl take it. And, of course, the way Sesshomaru is, he made my life a living hell for losing it. I naturally started to hate you since Sesshomaru made me wish that I could go back in time and prevent that sword from being stolen every time he would take away the fun stuff I used to like."

Kagome sighed. Now that some of her anger had subsided a little, she was able to summon up the pity that probably should have been there from the start. Yes, she was sorry that Inuyasha had to go through all of that pain and sorrow, but quite frankly, didn't it matter at all that she had been abused? The whole point of telling Inuyasha about her engagement was to get him try and stop her mom from marrying her off.

 

Well so much for that brilliant plan, Kagome mentally grumbled. If Inuyasha was going to refuse to send a note to her mom, then quite frankly Kagome was going to have to take matters into her own hands. Turning away from the window, Kagome opened her mouth to tell Inuyasha of her decision. But she was never able to say anything because at that exact moment, there was a knock at the door.

 

"What d'ya want?" Inuyasha snapped.

 

"I will not even bother to give that question with an answer little brother." Sesshomaru opened the door and gazed coolly at Inuyasha. His stance was supposed to look casual, but it was definitely deceiving. He had an air of danger around him, that no matter how hard he could try, couldn't get rid of.

 

Inuyasha glared at his brother and said furiously, "You know, there's a such thing as common courtesy. I mean, seriously, what if they had been naked or something?" Inuyasha gestured towards Kagome and Sango.

 

Sango was the one who spoke first. "If that had been the case Inuyasha, you would have never gotten passed the door."

 

Inuyasha turned towards Sango. She dared to challenge him on strength? His in particular? "If I had wanted too, I could have knocked the whole damn door down and you wouldn't have been able to stop me either."

 

Sango's gasp wasn't heard, as Kagome's was louder. "So you're saying that you'd just walk in here even if we had told you no? How dare you!"

 

Sango stiffened and her left eye began to twitch. Angrily, she shouted, "Prepare to have only one hand Miroku!" All eyes turned to see a cheeky grin on Miroku's face.

 

Innocently, he asked, "What I do?" There wasn't any answer except for a huge slap across his cheek. Miroku fell to the floor with a goofy look in his eye.

 

Sango marched away from Miroku muttering under her breath about lechers not keeping their hands to themselves.

 

A small smile graced Kagome's lips as she looked at her friend's heated glare on the unconscious man on the floor. Trust Miroku to lighten the mood...

 

Kagome turned her attention away from Sango and towards Sesshomaru who had stayed quiet throughout the whole exchange. He had the same emotionless mask he always had on his face. Kagome wasn't too surprised at that, and so overlooked it.

 

He drew everyone else's attention back onto himself when he said quietly, "Get yourself ready Inuyasha. It's time."

 

Sesshomaru didn't bother to elaborate. Instead, he turned around and left. Inuyasha glared at his brother's back before her too began to leave the room. Half-way out the door, he paused before sighing and turning around again.

 

Kagome thought that he was about to say something to her and with that thought her hopes began to rise. Maybe he was about to agree to her plan after all…

 

Instead of saying anything to her, however, he walked right past her and went straight to Miroku. Hoisting him up by his armpits, Inuyasha dragged his still dazed friend out the door and out of site.

 

Kagome stared at the spot where Inuyasha had been with surprise before her anger began to come forward. How dare he just ignore her like that? Who did he think he was anyway?

 

Inuyasha's head poked into the room again and, ignoring Kagome's startled look, said, "Be in the dining room in one hour. And wear your best outfit."

 

Kagome bristled at his commanding tone of voice and said in reply to his comment, "And why should we do that, Mr. High-And-Mighty?"

 

Inuyasha smirked before he turned and left. You're going to find out Kagome. And I hope to all the gods that you fail this challenge.

 

. . .

 

"Are you ready Sango? It's almost time to go downstairs and grace Inuyasha with our presence."

 

Sango smiled slightly at the sarcastic tone of Kagome's of voice before replying, "Yes. I just hope that you're ready."

 

Kagome pushed back the few tendrils of hair that had managed to escape her twist and smiled impishly at Sango. "Of course I'm ready. Do you really think that I would be late on purpose?"

 

Sango didn't even have to think about that answer for her to reply. "Yes, actually, I think you would."

 

Kagome smiled at Sango but didn't make a retort. "So you ready to go?"

 

Sango nodded and pulled her shawl closer around her shoulders. "As ready as I'll ever be." She glanced down at her outfit and grimaced. I really can't believe I'm going to wear this. If Miroku sees me in this, he'll probably be all over me. Sango slightly blushed at the thought.

 

"Relax Sango. You look fine." Sango gave Kagome an amazed look. How did she know what she was thinking?

 

Kagome softly laughed at Sango's bemused expression before turning towards the mirror and checking her reflection one last time. She had on a dark purple kimono that had splotches of pink flowers over it, with a pink sash tied around her waist. She had decided not to wear any make-up and wore a pair of simple, brown sandals. Kagome knew she looked good, and she was happy that she did. Not that she wanted to impress anybody…

 

Sango looked at her friend's light blush and smiled knowingly to herself. Even thought the two girls' hadn't known each other for very long, it was like they had known each other for ever. Just as Kagome could read her thoughts, Sango could read Kagome's thoughts. She knew that she was thinking about Inuyasha and what he would think of her outfit, just like she had been thinking of Miroku and what he would think of her outfit.

 

Sango had chosen to wear a dark pink dress with skinny spaghetti straps. It wasn't exactly her first choice, but Kagome had convinced her to wear it to the party or wherever they were going. Uncomfortable with showing so much skin, Sango had been able to convince Kagome to let her wear a shawl around her bare shoulders if she was going to wear the dress. It wasn't too hard to convince her, though. With just a tad of pink eye shadow and two inch high heels, Sango was ready to go.

 

Kagome linked her arm through Sango's and said happily, "Let's go!"

 

Sango laughed and let her self be pulled by the younger girl toward the door and the dining room.

 

A/N: Sorry this chapter is so short, but I've had for so long that I decided to just give it to you guys. I promise the next chapter will be twice as long. And for the trip, well, let's just say wee wee.