InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Other Life ❯ Mad Mistakes and Misunderstandings ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I'm sorry you guys! I didn't mean to update this late. I can only blame it on my pure laziness, though I wish I could blame it on school, now that it's started. So if you want someone to blame, blame me.

Inuyasha leaned his back against the wall of Double Toil and crossed his arms. Giving Kikyou a cold glare, Inuyasha said, "Well? What do you want?"

Kikyou gave Inuyasha a sweet smile and said, "I just brought you out here so we could talk Inuyasha."

Inuyasha snorted. "Don't give me that bull shit Kikyou. You know as well as I do that if you had just wanted to `talk', then you could have done that inside of the club. Instead, you threaten me to come out here with you."

Kikyou's false smile didn't falter as she replied, "Inuyasha, you must have understood me. I asked if we could talk outside about what had happened in the palace in private and you agreed."

Inuyasha sighed, tired of Kikyou's lies. "Just tell me what you want Kikyou so I can get back onto the dance floor."

Dropping all pretense of her smile, Kikyou snarled, "And who would be your dance partner Inuyasha? Hmmm? That thief? She's been feeding you lie after lie after lie. She's the only reason we're not together anymore. It's all because of her that you don't love me anymore!"

Inuyasha clenched and unclenched his hands, trying to get rid of the urge to do Kikyou harm. Taking a deep breath, Inuyasha said coldly, "You're wrong Kikyou. In case you forgot, you admitted that you had stolen my sword. You had set Kagome up because you were afraid of losing me! You were afraid of losing my money." Inuyasha's laugh was bitter. "And the fool that I was, I actually believed you when you told me that it was Kagome who had taken it."

Kikyou stared at Inuyasha, mouth slightly agape before without any warning at all, she lunged at him. She was so quick that she would have put Kouga to shame. Kikyou quickly latched her lips onto Inuyasha's and kissed him like there was going to be no tomorrow. Inuyasha stood there in shock before he suddenly pushed Kikyou off of him.

Putting the back of his hand to his mouth, Inuyasha wiped the taste of Kikyou off his lips. "What the hell was that for?"

Kikyou gave Inuyasha a cruel smile before walking away. Over her shoulder she said, "Trying to make your life as miserable as possible."

Inuyasha just stared at Kikyou's retreating form before he stomped back towards the club. A flash of movement caught his eye and Inuyasha turned to the shadows only to be encountered with darkness. He had been positive that he had seen something.

Inuyasha pushed the encounter away from his mind, terming it as unimportant. He had better things to do than to start investigating about something his mind had made up.

He had to get back to Kagome.

. . .

She was a fool.

Kagome pushed her way through the crowd in the club, while at the same time, trying to force her tears back.

Kagome had seen them. She had seen the kiss that Kikyou and Inuyasha had just shared not to long ago. She couldn't believe that she had almost fallen for that jerk. That she had almost fallen in love with him.

Unwanted images flashed through her brain again and again of Inuyasha and Kikyou, standing there kissing each other. After Inuyasha had left with Kikyou, Kagome had just stood there on the dance floor, wallowing in her self- pity. It had really hurt her to see those two leave together.

But when she had seen Miroku and Sango dancing together, she had seen the sad looks on both of their faces. Kagome knew that the two were attracted to each other, yet they didn't know how to express it. Kagome had then realized that if she wanted Inuyasha, then she had better fight for him. She didn't want to end up like Miroku and Sango; she'd go back to her adoptive mother first.

So with new determination, Kagome had turned towards the doors where Inuyasha and Kikyou had gone through and left the dance floor.

Kagome had reasoned with herself that if Kikyou had something to say, then she could say it in front of Kagome. This was what Kagome had chanted to herself as she came closer to her destination.

When Kagome had gotten far enough to see Kikyou's pale face, her steps had faltered slightly but not enough that she actually stopped moving.

That's when it happened.

Kikyou had lunged forward and had glued her lips to Inuyasha's. Kagome had stopped in mid-stride as she looked on in horror. Kagome had at first felt anger that Kikyou was kissing Inuyasha. Her Inuyasha. Kagome had been about to march up to Kikyou and throttle her when she realized that Inuyasha wasn't stopping her. From her point of view, it looked like he was encouraging her.

That's when Kagome had slowly backed up in shock, then in pain. She had wanted to run, but it was like her legs had gotten a mind of their own.

Kagome had quickly closed her eyes, trying to get rid of the image that was most likely going to haunt her for a number of weeks. If Kagome had of just waited a second longer before shutting her eyes, however, then she would have seen Inuyasha push Kikyou off him.

They had opened again only to see the same thing; only Kikyou's lips weren't on Inuyasha's. Before Kikyou had left, she had made eye contact with Kagome and a cruel smirk had been on her face before she had wiped it off.

Kagome had backed up even more where she was by then completely surrounded by the shadows. It had taken her a while to realize that Inuyasha was coming back inside She had finally snapped out of her astonishment to run. Run to where she had no idea.

Kagome couldn't believe that she had almost fallen for that stupid half-demon. He had almost made her believe that Kikyou was permanently out of the picture. Kagome shook her head. Forget about it Kagome. So he played you for a fool. It's not over. Make him fall in love with you, and then you can break his heart like yours is breaking now.

Kagome shook her head, tears now freely falling down her face. Kagome forced her way through the throng of people and burst out the doors into the night. You're wrong. My heart isn't breaking. My pride is just bruised.

The voice inside Kagome's head laughed. Kagome, you should know by now, that you love him. No use denying it to me. I am apart of you after all. I know how you feel.

Kagome wasn't willing to acknowledge that particular fact yet, so replied back stubbornly, I'm not. And that's final.

There was no response in return and Kagome breathed a sigh of relief. That's when Kagome realized that she had run out of the club and into the streets. She had no idea where she was. The whole time she had been arguing with herself, her legs had just been running.

Kagome took a look at her surroundings. It seemed that she had been running in different alleys. The alley she was in now, had a few beat-up trashcans lying on the floor, their contents scattered here and there. It was dark, and Kagome realized with rising fear how stupid she had been.

There wasn't anybody that would be able to hear her if anything would happen and she had to scream. Kagome turned around and, with shaky legs, began a brisk pace towards what she hoped to be the way back towards the club.

She never got far however, when one of the shadows decided to un-attach itself from the darkness. Kagome watched in fear as the shadow took on a human form. It was a male body. A very big male body.

He grinned. "I finally have you alone."

Kagome all of a sudden found it difficult to swallow. "W-Who are you?"

The man's grin grew wider. "It really doesn't matter who I am. What matters is that I have to get you back to the person who's paying me to find you."

Kagome forced her hands to stop shaking. In a stronger voice then the last one she had spoken in, asked, "And who might that be?"

Kagome could see the evil look in his eyes as he replied, "Your mother."

. . .

The dance with Miroku had long ended and Sango had since then been sitting by herself watching Miroku make a complete fool of himself. A complete fool of himself, might I add, with other girls'. Girls, that weren't Sango.

Sango sighed, and ignoring the pain, turned her attention away from the brunette Miroku was currently trying to grope, and began to search for her friend. Out of the corner of Sango's eye, she had seen Inuyasha leave with Kikyou and the hurt look that had followed on Kagome's face.

Sango had seriously been considering stopping her dance with Miroku to go and beat up Inuyasha for being such an idiot when she saw the determined glint enter Kagome's eyes. Sango knew then that Inuyasha was in for it as Kagome left outside the same doors Inuyasha had left with Kikyou.

Sango sighed and stretched her muscles. She was getting pretty bored just sitting there doing nothing. She had briefly considered asking Kouga to dance, but just from the way he had been shooting fire at Inuyasha from his eyes, was enough answer for her to not bother.

Sango smiled slightly. Kouga had been in a really bad mood ever since Kagome had started dancing and hanging out with Inuyasha. Even though you could practically taste the anger that Kouga was feeling, a few girls' had been brave enough, or stupid enough, to talk to him. However, Kouga quickly made it clear that he was not in a talking mood and all the girls' were quickly scared off.

Sango chuckled lightly to herself before she began her search for Kagome again. But when ten minutes had gone by and there was still no sign of her, Sango began to get a little worried. What if everything hadn't gone so well when Kagome had went outside? What would Kagome have done? Where would Kagome have gone if she had run off? It wasn't like she was exactly familiar with the big city.

Sango rose out of her seat and decided that she was going to search the entire dance club until she had seen Kagome's face. Only then would her worries be put to rest. Sango weaved her way in and out of the dancing couples, while at the same time calling out Kagome's name.

Miroku went up to Sango, as she was about to pass him by, and shouted to her over the music, "Who are you looking for?"

Sango shouted back, though with a little more coldness in her tone, "Kagome! Have you seen her?"

Miroku shook his head. "Why are you looking for her?"

Sango didn't want to voice her fears out loud and especially not to Miroku so she replied, "Because I need to ask her for something and it's kind of private."

Miroku nodded his head again like he already knew. "Oh. So, it's that time of the month huh?"

Sango turned red and whacked Miroku upside his head. "No it is not!"

Miroku rubbed his skull and grumbled, "Well you didn't have to hit me. You could have just said no." And before Sango could make a reply, Miroku quickly said, "I'm going to go and help you find her anyway." And with that, he disappeared through the thick crowds.

Sango scowled but didn't make a reply. Instead, she turned her attention into finding Kagome. Sango wasn't yet willing to think what she would do if Kagome weren't inside the club. There were just to many horrible possibilities that Sango could come up with. One thing was for sure though: if Kagome wasn't here, Kouga was going to go ballistic.

. . .

Kagome's eyes widened in fear as she thought of why her `mom' would want her back at home. Kagome had thought that when she had been kidnapped, her mother would have been jumping for joy. Why would all of a sudden, she want her to come back? The woman didn't hold grudges that long did she? Wait a minute. Yes she did. She was still holding a grudge for Kagome because of that whole stupid sword thing.

Kagome warily watched the guy in front of her as he put his hands behind his back and came out with a long coil of rope. "Now don't make this any harder than it needs to be. If you don't struggle, I won't have to beat you so hard."

Though she was terrified, Kagome couldn't help but snort at the guy's comment. "Is that supposed to make me feel better about the situation? Because if it is, then let me tell you buddy, it's not working."

The guy just shrugged. "You can take it anyway you want."

Kagome's mind scrambled for something else to say to keep the man somewhat distracted. "Would you mind telling me why my mother wants me back home? My mother hates me! I thought she would be happy when I disappeared."

The man slowly advanced on Kagome, backing her into a corner. "It's not my place to ask why she wants you. It's just my job to get you." The man grinned, showing off a set of crooked yellow teeth. "You talk to much. We're going to have to change that, now aren't we?"

Kagome silently cursed her luck. She knew that the guy had caught on to her little plan. There were only two things for her to do: pray that she would be able to stay out of this guy's clutches long enough for her to escape. And if that option didn't work, she could always do the thing that most people did.

Scream.

. . .

Sango was beginning to get extremely worried. She hadn't seen Kagome the whole time she had been looking for her. She had already mistaken three girls for Kagome. It had been a bitter disappointment when they hadn't turned out to be her.

Miroku met up with Sango in the back of the club where there were less people. "I still haven't seen her."

"Neither have I." Two pairs of eyes turned to see Inuyasha. Sango wasn't sure how long he had been standing there, but she was sure it had been long enough to know what they were talking about.

"Well where could she have gone? She wouldn't have left the club for any reason. And if she did, it would have had to be something that had made her pretty upset." There was a silent accusation in Sango's eyes as she spoke. Neither male needed confirmation to know that she was talking about Inuyasha.

Defensively, Inuyasha said, "Hey, don't look at me like that. I haven't done anything to make her upset."

Sango lifted an eyebrow. "Oh? So what would you call leaving with Kikyou?"

"I'd call it leaving it with Kikyou."

Sango's eyes narrowed. "You didn't do anything that would have upset Kagome if she had seen it, would you Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha shifted uncomfortably. "Well maybe there was a kiss." Sango opened her mouth to speak but Inuyasha finished quickly, "But I didn't start it. Kikyou did."

Sango cursed softly. "You fool. Do you think Kagome saw that? In case you didn't know this, she followed you out there a few minutes after you had left."

Inuyasha opened his mouth to talk then snapped it shut. He followed Sango's example and started cussing except it was a lot louder and a lot cruder. "When was the last time you saw her?"

"Around ten minutes ago," Sango replied.

Inuyasha let out a slow breath and said with deliberate calm, "Alright. I'll look for her outside while you look for her in the club. Once you have searched every square inch of this place, and if you still haven't found her, then gather the rest of the group and make them search outside."

Sango was already shaking her head before Inuyasha had already finished. "No way. Do you know what Kouga will do if he finds out his woman had been stolen?" Sango put extra emphasis on the word his just to get a little revenge for the pain Kagome must have felt when Inuyasha had left with that no good thief.

Inuyasha didn't reply but instead turned around and sped out of the club so fast, that Sango didn't have time to blink.

"Well I guess we don't exactly have a choice as to what we're going to be doing seeing as Inuyasha has already left." Miroku commented dryly.

Sango turned around and said only two words in reply: "Shut up."

. . .

Kagome tried to maneuver her way out of the trap she was sure the guy was trying to put her in. If there was one thing Kagome had learned with her stay with her mom, it was how to out maneuver that blasted stick every time it would try and hit her.

The man snapped the rope and the sound echoed throughout the alley like a single gunshot. To Kagome, it was like a call for death.

The guy didn't give any more time for Kagome to think about a plan as he lunged for her. Kagome twisted to the side so all the guy caught was air. This didn't deter him however, and instead he circled around and tried to go for the arm that was closest to him.

Kagome yanked it back when she had seen his intentions and jumped back over to the side. Kagome saw with dread that the guy was standing in the middle of the way towards her only hope of escape. Slowly, the guy reached into his pocket and pulled out a gun.

"I don't have time to be playing cat and mouse games. Now I want you to come over here quickly and quietly. We have a plane to catch and we really don't want to miss our flight."

Kagome already knew that if she tried to run anyway and ignored the guy's warnings that he wouldn't hesitate to shoot her. So with a heavy heart, Kagome slowly made her way towards the man.

The guy waved the gun in the air carelessly as he said, "And hands up where I can see them."

Kagome put her hands away from her sides and up in the sky. Kagome noted with alarm a flicker of interest as Kagome's breasts rose slightly as her hands went up.

The guy licked his lips and said huskily, "That old witch never said anything about not taking extra payment. It wasn't like she would get mad if I had a little fun before I got my money."

Kagome stopped walking and stared. In a deliberate calm voice, she said, "So, are you going to try and rape me?"

The guy shook his head, his eyes glued on Kagome's breasts. "Won't have to. You'll like it so much that screaming won't even enter your mind."

Kagome didn't laugh. "I'll die before another man touches me without my permission."

The guy's eyes flickered up briefly before they went back down. Absently, he slowly rubbed his crotch. "So you're not a virgin, huh? That's a good thing."

"You're not touching me. I'd kill you first." And with that, Kagome was off. She didn't bother to think; she just acted. Kagome ran towards the man and to her only hope of freedom. The guy was startled as Kagome ran towards him, but realized that she was going to try and run past him

The guy gave a nonchalant shrug before raising the gun. "Stop, or I'll shoot."

Kagome didn't say anything and with a leap jumped into one of the few standing trashcans. The contents flew everywhere and the guy shielded his eyes and face from the flying garbage.

Kagome had grabbed a broken beer bottle and while the guy had been distracted, she had run up to him as fast as her legs would carry her and smashed the glass into his head as hard as she could. The guy gave a small cry and slumped forward.

Kagome let out a sigh of relief. Stepping around the guy's hand Kagome slowly made her way back towards the club, leaving what could have been a nightmare behind. But just as she had put one foot outside of the alley, her ankle was grabbed and she fell forward, face first.

"You're not leaving. Not yet at least."

Kagome was dragged back into the alley, the man ignoring her struggles. Kagome had been sure that it wouldn't have to come to this, but the guy gave her no choice.

Taking a deep breath, Kagome opened up her mouth and screamed.

. . .

Inuyasha's ear's twitched as he picked up the sound of a scream. He stopped running and just listened. It sounded like it was a female.

Inuyasha turned in the opposite direction and began to pick up speed again. If that scream belonged to Kagome, whoever had made her scream would pay….

. . .

The guy knocked Kagome over the head with the butt if his pistol. "Will you be quiet?" he hissed. "Someone could here you."

In case the guy hadn't noticed, that kind of was her point. Kagome screamed again and again until the guy, seeing that Kagome wouldn't corporate, cursed and put his hand over her mouth.

Kagome just bit down onto the flesh and jammed her elbow into his ribs making the guy grunt. It didn't have too much impact though seeing as that was all he did. The man put his hand over Kagome's mouth again, except with more pressure, and then pulled out the gun. Without giving any warning, he shot a bullet into the air.

"That's what I'll do if you scream again. Now I'm going to release my hand and if you scream, I swear that it will be the last thing you do. Understand?"

Kagome just nodded her head. The hand was released and Kagome immediately started spitting out the grotesque taste in her mouth. The guy just looked amused.

He came behind Kagome and with both hands grabbed her breasts. "Now let's get back to where we were."

A cold voice answered before Kagome could make her reply. "Get your filthy hands off her, you jackass."

Kagome looked up and saw with relief Inuyasha standing there. Her relief was quickly put out though when she remembered why she was even in this situation in the first place.

Kagome had gotten herself in the mess she was in, and she was going to get herself out of it. There was no way she was going to be indebted to that jerk when he was the reason she was even with this creep in the first place.

Without realizing it, the guy had loosened his grasp enough for Kagome to get out of. So with a quick twirl, Kagome was out of his arm's and free. But she wasn't finished with him. Not yet.

Kagome drew her hand back and punched the guy right in the nose as hard as she could. The crunching noise she heard afterward made her feel so good that she decided to do it again. Kagome noted with satisfaction the trail of blood that crept slowly outwards from the nose.

"I think you just broke his nose Kagome." Inuyasha stated with satisfaction.

Inuyasha was taken back when he saw the fire in her eyes. Good lord, was she really mad at him?

"If that's the case, it would only be because I had imagined your face in replace of his." Kagome gave a swift quick to the guy's crotch and then turned to walk away.

Inuyasha waited until he thought she was far enough so that she couldn't hear the screams' before he picked the guy up by his collar. Menacingly, he said, "What Kagome just did was a warm-up compared to what I'm about to do to you."

Inuyasha drew his fist back and let it fly forward.

. . .

Kagome stomped forward to the entrance of Double Toil and scanned for anyone she knew. She didn't want to stay outside any longer than she had to.

Kouga, Sango, and Miroku stood just outside of the club's entrance. Kagome didn't have to be a demon to hear what the wolf was yelling about. His hands were gesturing wildly and his eyes looked a little crazy.

"I'm going to find her and there's nothing you can do to stop me!"

Miroku stated calmly, "You can't help her in the condition you're in Kouga. All you would be is a distraction. Inuyasha is out looking for Kagome as we speak." This news didn't make Kouga any happier. In fact, it made him even crazier.

"Dog turd can't do crap! What makes you think that I would entrust the safety of my woman in his care?"

Despite all that had happened within the last twenty minutes, Kagome's temper began to flare. Who did he think he was anyway? Was the guy stupid or did he just plain choose to ignore her when she said that she wasn't his woman?

Marching up the few remaining feet, Kagome jabbed a finger in Kouga's chest saying loudly, "How many time do I have to tell you that I'm not your woman?"

Kouga blinked before he drew Kagome into a tight embrace. "What happened to you? Were you hurt? Why did you leave without telling somebody?" Before Kagome could answer any of his questions, Kouga growled out, "I bet mutt face did this to you. He did, didn't he? When I get my hands on him…"

Kagome pushed against Kouga's chest and said, "For one, it's none of your business. And two, I can do what I darn well please without asking for it." Kagome didn't wait for an answer to any of her replies, but instead stomped off.

Miroku looked at Sango before he shrugged. They weren't going to lose her again. Miroku began to follow Kagome with Sango and Kouga following closely on their heels.

. . .

Inuyasha looked up at the twinkling stars as he lay in his tree. It seemed that every time something happened to him that wasn't to his liking, there became more stars. Inuyasha didn't know why. There just was.

Inuyasha sighed and shifted on the tree branch he was on, trying to find a comfortable spot. After Inuyasha had beaten the tar out of the weirdo, he had gone back to the club only to find everybody gone. If it had been under normal circumstances, Inuyasha would have gotten fire spittin' mad. But seeing as Kagome had almost gotten raped, Inuyasha had felt that he could hold his temper for once. So he had walked home. Or better yet, jumped home.

Sure, he could have called one of the chauffeur's to come and pick him up, but he hadn't felt like losing his dinner over one of his chauffeur's crazing driving. It had only taken ten minutes to get to the palace grounds. Actually getting to the palace took another five minutes since it was further down the road.

Inuyasha sighed again. Why was it that every time he had an encounter with Kikyou, something bad would always happen? It didn't matter who the bad thing would happen too, it would still happen. It seemed that that witch caused more trouble than when she had been actually at the palace.

Kagome didn't exactly deserve all the things that had happened to her. From what he knew, Kagome had been pretty good before he had shone up. It seemed like every time she was with him, something always happened to her. And those things never were good things. Kagome deserved for something good to happen; something that would put a smile on her face.

Inuyasha jumped out of his tree and headed for Kagome's room. He was going to put that smile on her face. He didn't exactly know how, but he did know that he was going to do it tonight.

. . .

Sango looked at Kagome with concern. "So you're telling me that this guy wanted to take you back to your adoptive mother?"

Kagome nodded. "That's what he said. But what I don't get is if that guy had been telling the truth, why would my mother want me back after all the trouble I had caused her? Wouldn't she have said good riddance and then forgotten about me? It just doesn't make sense."

"Maybe you owe her something?" Sango supplied helpfully.

Kagome shook her head. "No. I highly doubt it's that."

Sango got off of her bed and sat down next to Kagome. Her expression was thoughtful. "Well, maybe she feels you could help her in some way. Do you have any money to help pay off that debt for Inuyasha's sword?"

Kagome shook her head. Her eyes widened. Slowly, she said, "But if what I'm thinking correctly, my mom is the type of person who would try to get other people to do things for her." Kagome's eyes became troubled. "So what if my mom had promised me in exchange for money?"

Sango looked at her incredulously. "As in your mother sell you?"

Kagome nodded again. "Actually, as hard as it is to believe, it's something my mother would do." Kagome's expression turned from clouded to fear. "Oh God."

Kagome walked over to her side of the bed and rang the rope. In seconds a servant had appeared. "Yes Miss?"

"Can you please have a phone sent up to my room?"

The maid nodded, bowed, and then left. A couple minutes later, a phone was brought up. Kagome quickly punched in a set of numbers and waited for someone to pick up on the other line.

Sango walked over to Kagome and whispered, "Who are you calling?"

Kagome whispered back, "I can only think of one person that would give my mother the time of day, let alone listen to her."

"Who?"

"It would be Hojo's father."

. . .

Inuyasha took a deep breath and turned the knob on the door. Immediately, he said, "Now Kagome, I know how you're mad and all, but I think you -"

Kagome sat on the bed, her face pale. Sango was slowly rubbing her back with a sympathetic hand.

Rudely, he asked, "What the hell is wrong with her?"

Sango glared at Inuyasha and then turned her gaze back towards her friend. Quietly, Kagome said, "You have to eliminate me Inuyasha."

Surprised, Inuyasha asked harshly, "Are you telling me what to do?"

Kagome didn't make any come back which surprised Inuyasha. It would have to be pretty serious for Kagome not to say anything back to him. Suddenly concerned he asked, "What's wrong Kagome?"

Kagome looked up at Inuyasha with anger swirling in her eyes. "No thanks to you and your stupid demands, I'm officially engaged."

For once, Inuyasha was speechless.

"For the price of getting the debt paid for a sword that I didn't steal, my mom offered a trade to one of my admirers. The guy's father would pay off the debt. In exchange, I would marry his son, Hojo."

Kagome offered him a depressing smile. "Congratulations Inuyasha. I'm going to be finally out of your life just like you wanted."

And for the second time that night, Inuyasha was speechless.

A/N: Okay, I had intended to make this chapter a little longer, but I'll just have to do that next time. Anyway, for the next time I'll try and have two chapters out to make up for lost time. Notice I said try. I've also been working on another story so that's been keeping me busy. Anyway, you guys have a choice: I can kick Kikyou out of the story and have Hojo take her place. What I mean in take her place is not evil like. It's just he'll be the next obstacle in Kagome and Inuyasha's happiness. Or, Kikyou could be the main evil person here and I'll get rid of Hojo pretty quickly. So tell me what you want and we'll move on from there.