InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Other Life ❯ Crazy mothers and an abducted Kagome ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
A/N: I've edited at least five chapters. I changed Kagome's mother's name to Ms. Sumiko instead. Um, that's all I can think that would make a difference in the story. So, yeah…
 
Last time: Too bad I won't be there when Kagome learns her husband to be has come for her. Naraku smirked. Hojo will take care of everything for me. All I'll need to do is collect my reward.
 
“Make sure he doesn't fail me Kagura.”
 
Kagura nodded her head in consent before she too left Naraku. Her gaze was hard as she walked to the back of the palace. This is it Naraku. Something big is going to happen. I don't when and I don't know where, but it will be big. Her gaze hardened.
 
“Whatever happens, though, I will be free from you.” A cold smile played across her lips. “Even if I have to kill you, I will be free.”
 
The wind brushed against Kagura's pale skin, teasing her before jumping back into the sky. Kagura longingly glanced into the sky, wishing with all her heart she could be like the wind.
 
Freedom, as far as she was concerned, was all that mattered.
 
And she would get it, one way or another.
 
This time:
 
Ms. Sumiko turned steely gray eyes to the wall, briefly closing them for a second. Kagome wasn't fooled by a moment at the act - and it was an act - her mother was putting on. She was getting no sympathy from her.
 
Ms. Sumiko sighed and turned to Kagome, her eyes weary. “Can't you take pity on me Kagome? I won't have anything to live for anymore if I don't pay back my debts. My house will be taken away from me; my friends won't speak to me anymore if I'm not living in the upper class.”
 
Kagome stayed in the same position, not moving a muscle at her mother's plea. Quietly, she asked, “And would that be so bad, mother?”
 
Ms. Sumiko did her best to hide the wince at Kagome's words. She couldn't stand it when that child called her mother. It made her feel like a damn grandmother. Hiding her irritation at Kagome through a fake smile, she replied, “It wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to share my life with; someone who could be there for me and keep me company whenever I got lonely.”
 
Kagome shook her head sadly. Half a smile played across her face as she stared at the pathetic woman in front of her. Wow… she must really be desperate if she's willing to start sucking up to me to get what she wants.
 
Seeing Kagome shake her head filled Ms. Sumiko with a tiny ray of hope. Maybe she would be able to save her home and be able to get her no good daughter back. Things were starting to look up for her. She concentrated a little more and was pleased to feel the beginning of tears form in her eyes.
 
Kagome shook her head again and then sighed. She got up from the wall and gave her mother a harsh look. “I'm going to say this once and only once: go home. You're not going to get any sympathy from me. I'm not stupid, though you refuse to believe that. I know you only want me back in America so I can be your little servant again and attend to your every need and demand. But guess what? I'm not a servant, I'm your daughter. If you want a servant, then you can go and hire one. But your not going to use me; not anymore.”
 
Kagome turned away with her heart pounding in her chest, knowing she had just sealed her fate. Whatever happened now, Kagome would embrace with open arms.
 
She walked over to the door and had just placed her hand on the doorknob when Ms. Sumiko's voice broke the silence. It was so quiet that Kagome had to strain her ears to hear it.
 
“If that's the way you feel Kagome, fine. I can't blame you.” Ms. Sumiko bowed her head and put her hands in her light jacket. “But I can bet that you will regret your decision.”
 
Kagome slightly turned her head, so that her mother would be able to see the disbelief on her face. “I doubt it mom. In fact, I think this has been the smartest decision I've ever made.”
 
Kagome turned her head back to the door and opened it. She froze as a soft licking noise shattered the silence.
 
“I don't think you want to leave right now Kagome. We still have to discuss how you will win this competition and steal all the money I'll need.”
 
Kagome slowly turned back towards her mother and wasn't too surprised to see a shiny black pistol in her hand, pointed directly at her face.
 
Ms. Sumiko smiled at her, and gestured with the gun towards one of the chairs in the library. “Take a seat, won't you?”
 
Kagome glanced back out the door, listening to all the noise that was only a scream away. Why was it that she was always getting stuck in these situations? Was she cursed or did Fate not like her or something?
 
Ms. Sumiko's smile dropped and in place was the all too familiar glare. Snappishly, she said, “Will you sit down so I can tell you the plan? We don't have much time before they get too suspicious.”
 
Kagome snorted and slowly eased her hands down from the doorknob and down to her sides. “What makes you think that I'm going to comply with you? For all you know, I can turn on you any minute.”
 
Ms. Sumiko smirked and brought the gun higher up, aiming for Kagome's forehead. “You won't do that Kagome. Not unless you want a big hole in your skull.”
 
Kagome paled slightly at the threat but strengthened her resolve when she saw the triumphant look in her eyes. “You can do that, yes, but think about it mom. Do you seriously expect to get out of here alive if you kill me? There are over a hundred demons and demonesses in the ballroom. A lot of them have extreme power and can kill you without even being in the same room with you.”
 
Ms. Sumiko laughed. Kagome felt a little worry enter her body at the crazy sound. “Do you think I care? As soon as I shot you, I'd shoot myself. That way, not only would I be free of my worries, but I would have done the world a favor by kicking you out of it.”
 
Ms. Sumiko laughed again at the fearful look on Kagome's face. Gleefully, she continued, “I can smell your fear Kagome! You're scared, even if you don't want to admit it.”
 
Kagome turned her face into an emotionless mask like she had seen Sesshomaru do so many times. She lifted a brow and scoffed, while at the same time hoping her bluff would convince her mother. “I wasn't aware that you had turned into a demon mother. Unless, of course, you were a demon all along and I just failed to notice it.”
 
Ms. Sumiko's features became angry and twisted. She waved the gun around wildly, not seeming to care - or notice - that the gun could go off any minute. “What kind of lies are coming out of your mouth now?”
 
Kagome smirked, knowing she was taking a big chance with her life at what she was about to say next. “You probably didn't know, but demons are the only ones who can smell fear. Literally smell fear. So unless you're a demon, you can't smell the fear I supposedly have.” She sighed and said mockingly, “But if you are a demon, you are probably one of the ugliest ones I have ever had the misfortune to see.”
 
Ms. Sumiko turned red and, before Kagome knew it, the gun was pointed at her once again. “I'll show you ugly! Die you ungrateful brat!” Ms. Sumiko fired off two shots towards the door.
 
Kagome was ready for this and sprung into action. She fell to the floor, catching herself with the palms of her hands, the soft carpet going between her fingers. Kagome scrambled off of the floor and ran hurriedly turned towards the door. There was another shot but Kagome paid it no attention as it hit the spot where she had been lying on seconds before.
 
She wrenched the door open just as another bullet went flying past her ear. That was a little to close for comfort. Time to get out of here, Kagome thought.
 
Kagome ran out the door and turned towards the hallway that would lead to the ballroom and safety. Distantly, she heard footsteps pounding behind her, but didn't pay them any attention. She was desperate to get out of the range of the bullets that were being fired.
 
Kagome ran blindly, not seeing anything except the path to safety. Because she wasn't paying attention to where she was going, she ran into somebody.
 
She put out her hands to steady her and the stranger from falling to the ground. Her heavy breathing echoed in her own ears as she tried to gulp in as much oxygen as possible.
 
. . .
 
 
Inuyasha looked down in surprise at Kagome's struggling form. He frowned as his sensitive ears picked up the sounds of her breath rushing in and out at an abnormal pace. His golden eyes narrowed at the smell of fear mixed in with her usual scent of rain and flowers.
 
He looked up as the sounds of footsteps came to an abrupt halt. The woman standing there with her wild hair and dirty appearance had a black pistol in the palm of her right hand. Inuyasha growled low in his throat when he caught the smell of the woman's scent mixed with Kagome's. He pulled Kagome further into his chest and glared at the woman who had caused his Kagome fear.
 
“Who the hell are you?” he demanded.
 
The woman narrowed her eyes and screeched, “How dare you talk like that to your future mother-in-law? I ought to beat you for that!”
 
Inuyasha's eyes bulged in their sockets as he stared at her angry face. A few moments passed before he snorted. “And who, might I ask, is the unlucky female you claim as your daughter? Kagura? Sango?”
 
The woman smiled and motioned with her hand that had the gun in it towards Kagome. “The lazy, good for nothin' female you have in your arms right now.”
 
Inuyasha glanced down at Kagome's bent head that was currently buried in his chest before he started laughing. “You have gotta be kiddin' me! Kagome your daughter? That's more likely to be true than Sesshomaru ever coming in here and telling me he loves me!”
 
Kagome pushed at Inuyasha's chest, making him release his hold on her. She turned to look at her mother, fire burning in her eyes. “You have three seconds to get out of my sight before I let Inuyasha rip you to shreds.”
 
Ms. Sumiko was taken back at the open hatred in Kagome's eyes. Why would the girl hate her? She had done nothing to her that she hadn't deserved. She had no right to order her about with the way she had acted in America. No right at all.
 
“You don't tell me what to do. I tell you what to do!” she yelled. Ms. Sumiko raised her hand and pointed the gun at Kagome again. Inuyasha was behind her no sooner than she could blink. In seconds, the gun was out of her possession and was a broken piece of metal. He grabbed her arm and twisted it backwards to the point of breaking it.
 
Kagome stared at this, not saying a word. She couldn't find an ounce of pity, adoptive mother or not.
 
She wasn't your mother, Kagome. She was just a woman who put a roof over your head. Nothing more, nothing less.
 
Kagome agreed with that voice in her head. Her mother hadn't been a mother to her. She had just another servant who served the needs of Ms. Sumiko Otowa. She wasn't her daughter. She never really had been. With a sweeping gaze, Kagome turned away from her mom, having no intention on looking back.
 
Ms. Sumiko, seeing her chance of happiness being ripped out of her arms so cruelly, called out in a last desperate attempt to Kagome. “That's right! Run you little twit! Keep on going like the coward you are!” Ms. Sumiko winced as the pressure at the back of her hands tightened, but continued on regardless of the pain.
 
“You've never been a daughter to me Kagome! All you've been is a simpering fool who was there only to serve me and my needs. I'm not surprised that Inuyasha chose Kikyou over you in the first place. Why in the world would he want such a weak-minded female when -”
 
Ms. Sumiko was abruptly caught off as Inuyasha hit the woman over her head with his hand. Her eyes widened in surprise before she slumped to the ground, her body sliding into unconscious.
 
Kagome hadn't turned around at the start of her mother's barbs; after all, she was used to such comments from her. But when she had mentioned Inuyasha she had stopped dead in her tracks.
 
Slowly, ever so slowly, she had turned around to stare at the woman she had called mother. Yet, her eyes didn't fall her form when she fell to the floor. They remained on Inuyasha instead, her eyes questioning, hoping that for once, her mother wasn't correct.
 
Inuyasha stared at the woman slumped at his feet for a few moments before he kicked her away from him in disgust. He knew that the damage the piece of garbage at his feet had caused just may be irreversible to the point where Kagome could leave him.
 
Silently, he gestured with one clawed hand for a servant and, just like they were trained to do, came out of nowhere. The two men silently picked up the unconscious woman, grunting slightly at her weight before making no more noise into throwing her out the door. Inuyasha's eyes followed the men, though there was no need to. It wasn't that hard to throw somebody's body out of your home.
 
A slight oomph was heard as the body made contact with something solid. Kagome hurriedly made her way to the door and was shocked as to who she saw lying on the floor with her mother's body on top of him.
 
“Hojo?” she whispered to herself.
 
There wasn't a reply and Kagome hesitantly walked forward to make sure her eyes weren't playing games on her. As she approached the two people lying on the floor, her eyes widened as the familiar face she knew so well from her childhood came closer into view, instead of disappearing like it should have.
 
With a small cry, Kagome rushed over to the fallen man to help him up from the floor. Hojo groaned as Kagome hefted him up from the ground and peered at his face with concern.
 
“Are you okay Hojo? What are you doing here? For that matter, what are you doing on the floor?”
 
Hojo groaned again and rubbed his head, wincing a little before he turned his head around in confusion. Kagome waved her hand in his face, her concern growing by the way he didn't immediately respond.
 
Inuyasha growled low in the back of his throat before quickly walking forward to shove Kagome's fingers off of Hojo's arm and yanking her to his side. Rudely, he asked, “Who the hell are you?”
 
Kagome squirmed against the steel like grip holding her and stated angrily, “Will you let me go you Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha ignored her, his eyes boring into Hojo's currently bent over head. In a breathless whisper, Hojo finally said, “I'm Kagome's betrothed. Who may I ask are you?”
 
Inuyasha's tone was smug as he said, “I'm Kagome's fiancé. I don't know what the heck you're going on about, but Kagome will be my wife, not yours. So you can just get out the way you had come and leave before I get angry.”
 
Kagome had stilled at Inuyasha's words, afraid to believe what she thought he meant. Cautiously, she looked up into his face, only to see red. Inuyasha had the smuggest expression on his face, as if he had won the battle, the war, and was getting extra payment for his troubles. As if he deserved it.
 
Furiously, Kagome yelled, “Get your damn hands off me you dog!”
 
Inuyasha glanced down at Kagome and was surprised at the livid glare she shot at him. What had he done?
 
Kagome tried to elbow him in the sides, though it was to no avail. Inuyasha just blinked at the somewhat discomforting feeling, but didn't let her go as she had demanded.
 
Kagome stopped struggling and said sweetly, “If you don't let me go in the next three seconds, I will make sure that even if you do marry, you won't be able to produce any heirs!”
 
That must have gotten to him because Inuyasha eagerly pushed her away from him. Kagome stumbled, but caught herself before she completely fell. With a sniff, she turned towards Hojo, her back now to Inuyasha.
 
Gently, she asked him, “What are you doing here Hojo? I hope you know that I have no intention of marrying you, regardless of what my mother may have told you.”
 
Hojo had long ago gotten his bearings and was standing up on his own two feet. A wave of sadness crossed his face at Kagome's announcement. Sadly, he asked her, “Are you sure Kagome? I would love to have you as my wife. You'd make such a good wife and mother, which is something I would need in the future.”
 
Kagome nodded her head, her expression regretful at what she knew she must be causing Hojo. “I'd only make you miserable Hojo, regardless of what you may believe. It's better this way.”
 
Hojo nodded his head also, before letting out a sigh, a sad smile on his lips. “I wish you hadn't said that Kagome. I really, really do.”
 
Before she could question what he had meant, a loud explosion came from the house. All three of them whipped around and with stunned surprise, saw huge amounts of black smoke rising from the…ballroom?
 
Inuyasha muttered a curse underneath his breath before dashing off into his house. Hojo just stood there, his mouth gaping like a fish with no water. There was a brief flash of movement out of the corner of Kagome's eye, but before she had even turned her head to see what it had been, she was lifted off of the lawn and thrown onto a hard, muscled back.
 
A small squeak escaped her lips as the momentum forced Kagome to hang on to whoever had grabbed her as they took to the clouds. Kagome watched in disbelief as Hojo and the mansion grew smaller and smaller before it was soon just a tiny dot.
 
What the heck was going on?
 
Furiously, Kagome yelled, “Who the heck are you?”
 
Daichi turned around and gave her a quick wink before turning his eyes back in front of him. “Not enjoying the ride, love?”
 
Kagome pounded on Daichi's back as she demanded he let her go.
 
Daichi chuckled and said, “Even if I wanted to do that, I couldn't. I'm under strict orders from my boss to carry this out, under any means necessary.”
 
“What are you talking about?”
 
Daichi laughed and lifted one of his clawed hands up to pat her ankle. “Just enjoy the ride, and I'll tell you all the things you want to know when we get there.”
 
As he talked, the hand that had been patting her leg soon changed to rubbing. Kagome froze, and Daichi said appreciatively, “You got nice ankles Kagome; all nice and soft. I wonder what else you have that are as soft as these ankles…?”
 
With a shriek, Kagome slapped his hands away and yelled at the top of her lungs, “Hentai!”
 
A/N: Good chapter I think. Well, this story is soon coming to a close. Yay! My first story finished! Um, if anyone wouldn't mind reviewing, that would be great. Otherwise, toodles!