InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Other Life ❯ What goes up ALWAYS comes down ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Last time:
 
Kagome pounded on Daichi's back as she demanded he let her go.
 
Daichi chuckled and said, “Even if I wanted to do that, I couldn't. I'm under strict orders from my boss to carry this out, under any means necessary.”
 
“What are you talking about?” Kagome said exasperated.
 
Daichi laughed and lifted one of his clawed hands up to pat her ankle. “Just enjoy the ride, and I'll tell you all the things you want to know when we get there.”
 
As he talked, the hand that had been patting her leg soon changed to rubbing. Kagome froze, and Daichi said appreciatively, “You got nice ankles Kagome; all nice and soft. I wonder what else you have that are as soft as these ankles…?”
 
With a shriek, Kagome slapped his hands away and yelled at the top of her lungs, “Hentai!”
 
This time:
 
 
Daichi laughed at Kagome's furious tone of voice, his eyes warm with amusement. Tauntingly, he said over his shoulder, “What's the matter love? Don't you like my touch? Or is that pleasure reserved only for your prince?”
 
 
Kagome eyes bulged out of her head, unable to believe the audacity of Daichi. She wasn't sure what she wanted to do first - kill him for such an idiotic remark or scream at the top of her lungs for the ridiculous images his taunts had come to mind. In the end, however, she did neither. Instead, Kagome leaned her body closer into Daichi's and whispered as close to his face as she could, “You'll pay for that comment.”
 
 
Ignoring the wind that was slapping at her face and screaming in her ears, Kagome sat up as straight she was able, considering the fact that Daichi had her legs in a nice, steely grip. With the element of surprise on her side - or so she hoped - Kagome dug her nails into Daichi's hands, squeezing them as hard as she was able.
 
 
Kagome wasn't stupid and already knew that her puny attempts at trying to hurt him wouldn't so much as faze the demon. Just liked she hoped he would, Daichi took his eyes off of where he was flying and sent her an amused look.
 
 
In a droll voice, he said, “Sorry to disappoint you, hun, but if you want to hurt me, I'd advise you to try something that would actually do some injuries. Now if your plan is to arouse me, however, just say the word and I'll show you all the possible things there are to do in the sky.” He waggled his eyebrows for extra emphasis, a leer in his expression.
 
 
Kagome gasped, and forgetting her plan, screeched, “You are the most impossible demon I have ever had the misfortune to meet!”
 
 
Daichi snorted and turned his eyes back to the clouds in front of him. He had to raise his voice just a little louder to be heard over the demanding wind. Sarcastically, he said, “And I'm sure you've had many acquaintances with demons to make that statement.”
 
 
For a second, Kagome briefly saw red and was seriously contemplating on how to kill Daichi without any harm coming to her.
 
 
As much as I would love to kill him too Kagome, you need to concentrate on getting back to the palace. Killing Daichi can be saved for later on.
 
 
With the thought of the palace, all thoughts of murder flew straight out of her mind. What had been that explosion? What in the world was going on?
 
Leaning closer into Daichi's warm body, Kagome asked him the questions that were swarming through her mind. “What was that explosion at the palace Daichi? And why are you taking me away from there? I should be seeing what's going on and helping out, not running away!”
 
 
Apparently the mention of the palace didn't faze Daichi's mood at all. Cheerfully, he replied, “Don't worry about it sweetheart! Your knight and shining armor was there to save you from harm. Isn't that what you humans believe in anyway? Some handsome guy comes to save the hysterical female from danger and then the damsel in distress falls madly in love with her savior, bestowing him with grateful kisses and mushy stuff like that?”
 
 
Kagome pounded a fist on Daichi's back and shouted, “Stop changing the subject! What is going on?”
 
 
Daichi sighed and grumbled, “I just had to get stuck with the female that, instead of being grateful she's not in danger, demands to know why she was saved.” He rolled his eyes, yet didn't bother to answer the question.
 
 
Kagome glared at Daichi's back and snarled, “If you don't tell me what the hell is going on, then someone is about to get hurt!”
 
 
Daichi sighed and said, “Fine. Have it your way.” Without another word, Daichi unlocked his arms from around Kagome's legs.
 
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow at that and asked, “Are you going to turn back around to the palace?”
 
 
Daichi turned to look at her and Kagome instantly felt queasy at the mischievous glint in his eyes. “Nope Kagome. However, to give you the answers you want, I'm going to have to do it on land. And I'm assuming you want answers as soon as possible, correct?”
 
 
Kagome nodded her head mutely, trying to prepare herself for anything and everything.
 
 
With a chuckle, Daichi stopped flying through the clouds and just flapped his giant wings up and down, preventing them from falling from the sky. He turned his head towards Kagome again and said, “I thought so. And I can only fly so fast.” His smile turned into a full fledged grin. “Gravity, however, well, there can be no limits as to how fast you can fall when dealing with it.”
 
 
Not wanting to believe the idea that was beginning to take form in her mind, Kagome whispered, “What are you saying?”
 
“It's quite simple Kagome. What must come up-” Faster than the mind can comprehend, Daichi had flipped over onto his back, Kagome now hanging upside down. Because the move was so unexpected, Kagome didn't have time to prepare herself for something like this. And so… she fell.
 
 
With a loud shriek, Kagome started to fall down to the brown moist, hard soil on the ground. To make matters worse, Daichi had thoughtfully stopped above a nice green forest.
 
 
Daichi cupped his hands by his mouth and shouted even louder than Kagome's cries of fury, “- must come down!”
 
 
Kagome flailed her arms up and down wildly, as if that action alone would stop her from falling to her death. Predictably, she didn't magically sprout wings and so continued to fall faster and faster.
 
 
This isn't fair! This isn't how I'm supposed to die! I have at least fifty more years left on my life. That's it…Forget haunting Kouga. Daichi, I'm going to be your worst un-living nightmare!
 
 
Kagome glanced down at the rapidly rising floor and squeezed her eyes shut as she began to prepare herself for the final impact. Her glass breaking screams had long ago stopped into pitiful moans as she accepted her fate.
 
 
And just like that, she stopped. One minute she was falling almost as fast as the speed of light, and the next she was halted in mid-air. Or at least, Kagome hoped that was the case.
 
 
I'm not dead… am I?
 
 
Warily, she slowly opened one eye and then the other as she took in her surroundings. The green forest she had been admiring just a few seconds before she fell was even more beautiful up close. The forest had all sorts of trees spread out, each one healthy looking and strong. Wild flowers were everywhere, their exotic colors so stunning, they almost brought tears to Kagome's eyes. Two chipmunks fought over a walnut over by a tree not too far from where Kagome was. Birds had resumed their chirping when they sensed that everything was alright, and all other creatures went back to minding their own business as they concluded that the danger was over.
 
 
Kagome breathed a sigh of relief and let her sag down as she tried to get her bearings back. It hadn't even been a second before Daichi started speaking to her.
 
 
In a chastising tone, Daichi said, “You know your screaming was loud enough to wake the dead? I seriously have never heard a human scream as loud as you just did a few moments ago.”
 
 
Kagome had stiffened at the first sound of his voice. Furiously, she said, “It was your damn fault that I was even put in that situation in the first place!” She started squirming and began to wave her arms ad legs around, demanding he let her go.
 
 
Too late she realized that she was about a foot above the ground. Before she could rephrase her request, Daichi had already dropped her. Kagome sat there for a few seconds on the floor, rubbing her sore bottom before she scrambled off of the ground and swung furious eyes to Daichi.
 
 
Daichi slowly floated to the ground until his feet touched the soil. Crossing his arms over his chest, he asked with an innocent expression on his not so angelic face, “What?”
 
 
Provided with the power of anger, Kagome was able to run a little faster than she normally would have and tackled Daichi. The impact of the tackle caught Daichi off guard and with a muffled grunt, Daichi and Kagome fell to the floor.
 
 
Kagome closed her hands around Daichi's thick neck and started to strangle him. Irately she yelled, “I can't believe you dropped me you big oaf! I could have been killed and it would have been your entire fault! What would you have done then, huh? I'm sure part of the plan, whatever it was, wasn't to kill me!”
 
 
With each word that came out of her mouth, Kagome squeezed harder, trying to cut off the air circulation to Daichi's lungs. Throughout all of this, though, Daichi stayed quiet and let Kagome have her way.
 
 
Kagome continued on with more of her ranting a few more minutes before she stopped, her breath being the only sound in the forest. Sometime during Kagome's accusations, the forest had gone quiet.
 
 
Kagome sucked in mouthfuls of air, trying to calm down her thumping heart. Gloomily, she got off of Daichi and walked over to the closest tree near her - a peach tree - and leaned against it, her eyes downcast. Daichi stayed in his position on the ground, even though he now had the ability to get up.
 
 
Quietly, Kagome asked, “You didn't even try to hold off my attack towards you, did you?”
 
 
Daichi's voice was soothing and oddly gentle as he replied. “You needed that Kagome. I wasn't going to stop you from doing something that would help you. And it worked didn't it? You feel better, don't you?”
 
 
Kagome sighed and lifted her head up, a small smile on her face. “Yeah, I do.” The smile faded as she said, “But you know you didn't have to drop me like you did. I wasn't in that much of a hurry to get to land.”
 
 
Daichi sat up and let his long legs stretch out, while he put his hands on the ground behind him. Cheerfully, he said, “Yes, you may have a point, but don't you think my way was a lot more fun?” The twinkle in his eye and his mischievous grin was enough to make anyone laugh.
 
 
Kagome gave Daichi a weird look before she started to laugh. The quiet, musical sound floated over the forest and around Daichi. The sound was so pure, so happy, that it made him shift his gaze to Kagome and stare at her with something akin to awe.
 
 
Kagome didn't know why she was laughing; maybe it was because of the fact that she was trying to stay sane. Ever since she had met Inuyasha her life had, without her knowing it of course, changed. From them becoming temporary friends when they were children, to her being kidnapped to become his bride years later, Kagome's life had changed. For the better worse, Kagome hadn't yet decided.
 
 
Daichi smiled slightly and lifted his body off of the ground with catlike movements. Slowly, so as not to frighten her, Daichi lazily walked over to the peach tree Kagome was leaning against and said, “You never did answer my question you know. Didn't you think my way of getting here was a lot more fun?”
 
 
Kagome didn't glance up to reply, and so never saw Daichi's slow approach. “Why is it that you ask questions you already know the answer to Daichi?”
 
Daichi snorted. “And how were you able to make that observation on such short acquaintance?”
 
 
Kagome shrugged her shoulders. “I don't know. I'm just guessing that you seem like the type who likes to like to play with people's minds by confusing them. Am I correct?”
 
 
“I don't know Kagome. What do you think?”
 
 
Kagome sighed and lifted her head up, only to meet a pair of beautiful golden eyes. Daichi reached up with a clawed hand and brushed a knuckle gently across her cheek.
 
 
Kagome couldn't look away from Daichi's eyes; it was as if they held her captive with their hypnotic gaze. She knew she should pull away or slap him, do something, but it was like someone else had taken control of her body.
 
 
Her arms, of their own accord, slowly went up to wrap themselves around Daichi's broad winged back. Kagome eyes widened in horror as Daichi smiled at her and drew his face closer.
 
 
Just before he touched his lips to hers, Daichi stopped, a hairbreadth away from joining their mouths together. Softly, he whispered, “I believe you owe me a kiss Kagome. Don't you remember our deal?”
 
 
Kagome's breathing quickened at what Daichi was saying. With great reluctance, Kagome closed her eyes to Daichi's golden orbs in order for her to concentrate. Daichi's husky laugh at her act washed over Kagome and made her feel all warm inside.
 
 
“I'm glad you failed Kagome. It'll be fun to get you to love me,” he whispered tenderly, just before he kissed her.
 
 
Kagome's eyes flew open at his words and almost bulged out of her head at Daichi's kiss. Drawing on some inner strength, Kagome turned her head away and pushed at Daichi's chest with a mighty shove.
 
 
“Get off me!”
 
Daichi stumbled back and looked at her in astonishment. He shook his head to wear off his amazement and determination entered his eyes. Turning his voice into black velvet, he softly asked her, “Why did you do that? Don't you see how good it can be between us? How well our chemistry is? Why would you push me away Kagome?”
 
 
Kagome's voice was hard as she said, “I don't think you're entitled to be asking questions Daichi. In fact, it should be the other way around with me asking the questions. And to start off, what did you mean by those words you whispered to me?”
 
 
Daichi closed off his expression, leaving it cool and unreadable. His eyes had long ago darkened to a yellow so dark, they could almost be called brown. Innocently, he asked, “What are you talking about? What words did I tell you?”
 
 
Kagome glared at him and pushed herself from off of the tree, crossing her arms over her chest in the process. “Don't blame dumb Daichi. We both know you're not an unintelligent creature. So stop playing games and answer the stupid question!”
 
 
Daichi's manor grew stiff and untouchable as he regarded Kagome with unreadable eyes. “So that's how it is then? You're to play the flirt with me?” His expression grew hard. “I bet it's because of that half-breed, isn't it?”
 
 
Kagome tried to hide her reaction towards Inuyasha's name, but Daichi was a demon, and so caught the slight flicker of emotion in her eyes.
 
 
Daichi lifted his body into the air, his expression deadly. “It's true then! You love him you say? Well what about my feelings? What about how I feel? I love you Kagome!”
 
 
Kagome uncrossed her arms and rested them at her sides. “That's impossible Daichi! You haven't even known me twenty-four hours!” she shouted.
 
 
Daichi started to fly up higher towards the sky as each second passed by. “So you doubt my feelings? Fine then. I guess I'll have to prove to you what I'm feeling is real.”
 
 
A flash of fear crossed Kagome's face at his words. Trying to hide her feelings towards Inuyasha, Kagome said, “What are you going to do?”
 
Daichi smiled down at her, his smile nor his expression holding any traces of warmth. “I'm going to kill him is what I'll do. Then you'll see that I'm telling you the truth. And when he's dead, then you won't have any choice but to love me.”
 
 
With those final words, Daichi rushed off into the sky, his great, big wings making a loud whoosh every time he flapped them.
 
 
“Daichi! Don't you touch him! Don't you touch him!” Kagome screamed, as it became apparent that Daichi wasn't joking.
 
 
Kagome looked around her surroundings with wild eyes, her every move desperate. If Daichi killed Inuyasha, Kagome wasn't sure what she would do.
 
 
Looking up into the darkening sky, Kagome knew that she would have to get out of the forest before it turned completely dark. Who knew what kind of animals resided in this forest?
 
 
Kagome turned in a slow circle, letting her eyes take in everything around her. She needed to get out of this forest. But how?
 
 
A/N: Okay people, sorry for leaving it at a cliffhanger, but I've decided something. The next chapter is going to be the last chapter. That means, that chapter will be the longest I've written in this story. I'm going to have Kagome get out of the forest, we're going to find out what the explosion was (actually you guys are, I already know ), something's going to happen to Kikyou, Kagura, and Naraku, and other stuff! So… watch out for it!
 
 
Now for my groveling…. I'm sorry! You see, I had this chapter in my head, but I just didn't want to type it out. So sorry for the laziness and all, but look on the bright side, I'm updating, right? Oh! And I have a new idea for another story. Let's see, it's going to be about Kagome being psychic. Check out the bio for the full summary (I think it sounds really good, but tell me what you guys think) on fanfiction.net. Go to http://www.fanfiction.net/~silverpearl for the complete summary. Sorry for the short chapter, but remember, only one to go and you won't have to wait anymore for my lazy updateness. So review if you still remember me and I'll see you guys next chapter!