InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ New Life ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Year: 1535
Month: February

Kagome placed a hand on the back of her head. “Yeah it's me. So, how've you been?”

Inuyasha growled. “You've been alive this whole time and you haven't come back home!”

Kagome laughed uncomfortably. “Yeah… well… For a while I couldn't and then… I got busy. I haven't had time really.”

Sango suddenly broke forward, crying. “Kagome!” She threw herself against Kagome and held on tightly. “I was so worried.”

Kagome smiled. “I missed you too Sango. Unfortunately, I can't stay. I have an appointment with someone.”

Inuyasha growled. “Don't think that I'll let you leave us now that we found you. We'll go with you if you have to go.” Kagome smiled.

“Would you like their company Shippo?”

“I don't see why not Mama.” Kirara mewed brightly and leapt into Kagome's arms.

“Then let's go.” Shippo grinned.

Kikyo spoke up. “What about the people here?”

Shippo grinned. “Oh, don't worry about that. Mama will take care of it. Let's get out of here. We won't want to be here.” They all looked at Shippo in confusion. He had already started walking out of the village. They glanced at Kagome and saw that she was settling on the ground in a meditative stance. Looking at everyone else they followed him.

As they reached the edge of the forest, Kikyo froze. Her face was pale. “No… It can't be.” Her voice was barely a whisper.

Inuyasha turned. “Kikyo what is it?” Shippo whirled on them, his green eyes suddenly hard and unforgiving.

“Come. Now.” They turned to Shippo in shock. Kikyo remained unmoving. The power behind them was… It just couldn't be. Suddenly it skyrocketed in a blast of pure blue fire that encompassed the village. Kikyo could feel the purity and power in that blast. Underneath it all was the unmistakable feel of the Shikon Jewel. She expected to feel youkai advancing on them but there was nothing coming.

Turning, she hurried after the others. She could hear Inuyasha griping at Shippo. “Where are we going runt? You better talk.”

“I don't have to say anything to you Inuyasha. I am not a part of this pack anymore. You are not my alpha. So nyah!”

“Why you!” She came into view of them, unable to keep back the laughter as she saw the two fighting.

“What's going on?” Kikyo turned and stared at Kagome in surprise. Kagome glanced over and frowned. “Shippo how many times do I have to tell you not to pick fights! Why don't you two sit down and talk things out!” Everyone blinked, even Inuyasha. He was still standing. Kagome tilted her head in confusion. “What is it?”

Kikyo spoke hesitantly. “Inuyasha didn't crash to the ground when you said sit.” At that moment, Inuyasha collided with the ground. Kikyo gasped. “Oh Inuyasha! I am so sorry.” They could hear him cursing. Shippo chuckled lightly. Kagome decided to explain.

“Why don't we sit down so I can explain? We can have lunch while I do so.” The others nodded happily. “Shippo why don't you get me my bag.” Shippo nodded. He had taken off with the bag when they had left. Plopping the bag in her lap, he watched her dig through. She pulled out some pieces of jerky for everyone while pulling out some pieces of that other meat that she kept sealed in a small bag. She had used her miko powers to do it. That stuff had made his mama different. Of that he was certain of. Everyone began to eat.

“The last time I saw you was in that battle with Naraku. I had thought you all dead… He had… He had hurt you so much, I was afraid it was too late. He managed to grab me, but I escaped barely. Not without some damage. One of Naraku's tentacles had managed to spear open my chest. I still have the scar from it. We had spent so much time searching for that last shard and in that moment, I discovered the shard. Naraku didn't know that. When I fell, he thought me dead. I was just barely alive.”

Kagome rubbed her chest, reliving that memory. “It seemed as though I laid there for hours. It was then that something in the sea caught my attention. I had fallen close to the waves and high tide had just started. I crawled into the sea. I thought myself alone and felt no qualms about killing myself. I then blacked out once in the water. I died truly then.” Kikyo placed her hand on her chest. Kagome nodded. “Yes, the moment you received the other half of our soul was the moment I drowned. Through my memories of the battle, Kikyo must have found you and saved you.” Shippo listened attentively. This was as far as she had told him. When he had asked her how she came to be alive now, she had told him that her destiny wasn't finished. It was Kikyo that asked.

“How are you alive now though?” Shippo watched her hesitate. Only he saw her eyes flashing between the glorious icy blue eyes of herself and the violet eyes of her other self. Moving forward, he made himself smaller and crawled into her lap.

“Mama… please.” Kagome's eyes then connected with Shippo's eyes.

There was emotion there that was far stronger than they could feel. Images of pain and horror danced in her eyes. The innocent green eyes widened as they watched this, as they soaked in the shattering pain of death and rebirth repeatedly. She was immortal, never to die. She would watch all her loved ones pass away and she would remain the same. She would never age. Time had stopped for her. It passed her by, never to start back up again. The power within was her own and yet it was never supposed to be passed on to her. It was supposed to have died with a wish and yet it was never to be. She was that power now, eternal and everlasting. Then they blinked and it was gone.

Kagome looked at the others smiling. “It is simple. The gods deigned that my destiny has yet to be fulfilled. I found my way back to shore with a soul that was to have been mine in the beginning. I was never supposed to have been Kikyo's reincarnation. I was never supposed to have been a reincarnation. Unfortunately, the fate of the Shikon was changed. In order to fix it, I was given Kikyo's soul in order to complete the mission that was supposed to have been hers.”

Kikyo appeared stunned, as did the others. “So how did you get the sword?” Inuyasha's voice was gruff.

“It was given to me by one who helped to save my life. I gave my oath to return to him every year on the day that he saved me and in two days, I will reach him and fulfill my oath for this year.”

“Who is this person?” Kagome laughed softly. “He is not a person. He is a tree. His name is Bokuseno and he has lived on this earth since the beginning of time. I will remain with him for three days as I did before. I will then set out to complete my task. This past year has been my year of preparing myself for the task I must accomplish.”

Miroku gazed at her in understanding. “Your task is to destroy Naraku, is it not?” Kagome nodded. Everyone looked down solemnly.

“Then we will help you.” Everyone looked at Kikyo in surprise. She leaned forward and took Kagome's hands in her own. “This task of yours, you will not have to complete it on your own. I will stand by your side. If anything, to honor the fact that you gave me back something that I never thought to have again. My compassion and love.”

Sango leaned forward as well. “I will follow you as well. You have given me a sister and I will not let you go.”

“I as well will follow you Lady Kagome. You have given me hope for the future. I will not let that hope fade.” Kagome smiled.

“So, it is settled then. Inuyasha?”

“Keh. Don't worry wench. I promised to protect you and I mean to keep that promise.” Kagome giggled.

“Alright. Let's go!” Leaping to her feet, Kagome pulled her bag on her back.

As night faded, Sesshomaru caught a scent that irritated him. His half brother had come on to his lands. Usually the half-breed kept off his lands. As he entered a village, he could scent on the wind the spider hanyou. Apparently, he had come after the wind witch. No wonder why his brother had come.

As he moved to step foot in the village, he growled. There was purification surrounding the village. What kind of miko had done this? Making his way around the village, he attempted to catch any scent. Suddenly, something came to him. His half brother's stench and that of his group. The thing that caught his attention was the scent of a kitsune. There was a scent attached to it that drew him. It was sweet and powerful. The miko that had purified the village. The kitsune traveled with her. Now that he had the scent, he could track it. It wouldn't be easy, but he could follow it. Turning, he headed back to the campsite.

Kagome shifted from her place against the tree. It had been a long time since she had traveled in a group. It brought back good memories. The best part about it was that Kikyo was no longer a vengeful spirit and was with them. Inuyasha didn't have to sneak off.

Glancing at Shippo, she smiled. He had always been curious about the mermaid meat. She had begun to eat that instead of the regular meat so that way it would disappear faster. She now only had a couple of pieces left. They would be gone this morning.

Opening her eyes, she watched the sun rise. “You didn't sleep.” Glancing up, she smiled at Inuyasha.

“I don't sleep much anymore. Being on my own this past year taught me how to defend myself at night. I've learned to sleep light so that way I don't miss anything.”

Inuyasha nodded. “I'd almost think you were youkai.”

Kagome blushed and gave a soft laugh. “Nonsense. I'm human. I'm human.”

“Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of that.”

Kagome shook her head. “No. I'm not.” Standing, Kagome moved to Shippo. “I'm going to get washed so we can go.” She shook the boy awake and he was on his feet in an instant. Inuyasha watched them fade into the trees. There was something different about her. This was not the Kagome he knew.