InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ New Life ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

Year: 1535
Month: February
 
 
A grunt echoed from within the tree. Within a couple minutes, the tree opened to allow Kagome to come tumbling out. Landing on her knees, she glared back at the tree. “You could have warned me Bokuseno-Sama.”
The tree's face formed and laughter echoed within the clearing. “Now, now child. I did warn you.” Kagome rolled her eyes, flopping on to her butt and glaring at the tree. It wasn't a mean glare.
“Yeah, you woke me and then spit me out. I don't taste that gross do I?”
“Nonsense. You actually taste fairly good for a human.”
Rising, Kagome dusted herself off. Hefting her bow over her shoulder and slipping her blade on her waist, she bowed with a smile. “Thank you for your training. I don't even mean just for the combat training. For the training of the way of the youkai court and for teaching me about that other side.”
Bokuseno smiled. “It is nothing child. It is something that you will need to know when it comes time for you to seek allies. In fact, before you face Naraku you should go to the cardinal lords. Seek their assistance. The battle with him should fair easy with their assistance.”
Frowning, Kagome tilted her head. “You realize I will have to speak to Lord Sesshomaru.”
Bokuseno nodded. “Yes, save him for last though.”
“There will be no need.”
Kagome whirled, her hand going to rest on her chest as she panted in fright. She watched Sesshomaru step out of the trees, his cold eyes moving between her and Bokuseno in disdain. Dropping her hand, she bowed before him. “Lord Sesshomaru.”
His gaze focused on her. “You are the half breed's wench.” Her anger flared immediately but she repressed it.
“I do not belong to Inuyasha. I am my own woman My Lord. He is merely my friend, nothing more.” She watched his gaze turn to Bokuseno. If she ran, he would catch her. There was no way out at the moment and she had been foolish enough to erect the barrier around her pack so that no one could get out. Mentally she cursed.
Yes, indeed foolish but this should prove interesting. Kagome couldn't help but roll her eyes. Of course Chi would decide to pay attention at this time.
`Will you just shut it?' She heard Chi laugh before settling back into the back of her mind. Focusing back on the conversation at hand, she leaned back against the tree.
Sesshomaru flexed his claws. He was getting tired of Bokuseno's round about answer. “You will answer in a straight manner Bokuseno. Why have you taken the human under your guidance?”
Bokuseno let out a soft sigh. “Lord Sesshomaru, why I have decided this is my reasoning alone. Time will inform you of your answers. At this time, answers are not needed. At this time she is in need of your alliance. To continue the youkai race, it is imperative that you become an ally as well as the rest of the cardinal lords. If you do not, the fate of the youkai race will become myths.”
Sesshomaru mentally growled. If he could tear the tree into shreds without repercussions, he would. Bokuseno was the last of his kind though and provided protection against intruders in his lands. The only tree that would be similar would be the Goshinboku in Edo. That tree however was without intellect. It simply protected the land it rested on as well as the well that rested nearby.
Turning back to the human girl, he studied her. She had never answered the one question he had asked during the time in his father's tomb. The question resounded once more in his mind. What was she? Perhaps by allying himself with her in her quest would answer the question. After all, he did not like to be denied. “I will ally myself with you Priestess but know this. This Sesshomaru will not be denied.”
Kagome let out a soft breath of relief as she watched Sesshomaru turn and enter the trees. Glancing at Bokuseno, she smiled softly at him. “Thank you Bokuseno-Sama.”
“Will I see you in a year's time once more Kagome?” Kagome nodded. “Yes, I will return if I am permitted.” “Good.” She watched Bokuseno's face fade away until nothing was left to show he was an intelligent tree. Turning, she hefted her bow higher and made her way to the pack. As she moved quietly through the trees, she began to think. There would be no doubt that Kouga would ally with her. The hard part would be to keep him from taking her as a mate. She shuddered. She loved Kouga but only as one would love a brother. The thought of doing anything beyond brotherly affection filled her with disgust. She had told him multiple times that she didn't want to be with him but it was as if he was deaf. At least now she knew what she was doing wrong. Next time she saw him, she would be able to fix it but she worried if he would still be willing to ally with her. The other two lords she had never met and she was slightly worried how they would take to her.
At that moment, she caught sight of her barrier. Moving forward, she touched it and pulled the energy back into herself. Stepping in, she was instantly swarmed by her friends. “Mama!”
“Are you okay?”
“What happened?”
“I can't believe you did that wench!”
“Are you safe?”
“Mew!”
Kagome laughed, placing a hand on the back of her head. Ruffling Shippo's hair, she grinned. “Hi Shippo.” She glanced at the others as they waited. “I am okay Sango. Don't worry Kirara. No harm. Kikyo, I went to see the one I sought and couldn't have you guys following. Inuyasha stop. Miroku of course I'm safe.” Inuyasha growled as he settled on the ground.
Settling by the fire, Kagome sighed as she leaned back. “We'll camp here for the night and then we need to head north.” The humans settled around the fire while Shippo slid next to her. Inuyasha remained where he was.
“Why do we need to go north Kagome?” Kagome smiled at Sango's perplexed look.
“We need to gather allies. The fight with Naraku is getting close and if we have more people, we might be able to change fate. As far as I know, youkai are not present in my time. I plan to change that.”
Miroku's expression turned grave. “Are you certain that is wise Lady Kagome?” Kagome sighed softly. “I know it's not good to mess with time but, I can't stand by and watch an entire species be eradicated. It may change things drastically but… I can't stand by. If there is a way to prevent that from happening, I have to try.” Kagome's voice was soft as she spoke but there was a quiet determination to it.
The silence that descended was comforting to a point. Yawning, Kagome grinned. “I think it's time to head to bed. Oh by the way, Sesshomaru will be joining our party.” Kagome lay down, turning away from the group's shocked expressions and Inuyasha's reddening face.
Over the course of the next couple of days, travel was silent. Everyone was expecting Sesshomaru to suddenly appear but he did not. Kagome continued on her merry way, humming some song that was off tune. Everyone was confused. What was wrong with Kagome? The question was on everybody's mind and yet no one dared to voice it. Even Shippo was confused at the attitude of his mother. She had acted different since he had first found her but this was even more unorthodox than what he was used to. Even Kikyo was perturbed by Kagome and that was hard to do.
Kagome signaled everyone to stop for the night. Her smile was odd but she didn't care. She was hungry. It wasn't the normal kind of hunger either. Now that she was with the group, she couldn't reveal herself as Chi Ken No Tama. That other side of her was getting extremely restless. The need to spill blood was beginning to overwhelm her. She had felt this before in the beginning when she attempted to stop hurting people. In the end she had gone on a killing spree, wiping out an entire village. As everyone settled in for the night to sleep, Kagome glanced up to the stars. Her eyes continued flashing between blue and purple.
Once the humans were asleep, she rose. Shippo immediately stood to follow as well as Inuyasha. Glancing at Inuyasha, she frowned. “Stay here Inuyasha.” Her voice was husky. Inuyasha was about to demand that he was going with her, but Kagome walked away. He moved toward her but found himself being shoved back. She had put up a damn barrier again.
Kagome moved through the trees. “Where are we going Mama?”
Shippo jolted as Kagome spoke. It was icy cold. “I am going to ease my hunger Shippo.” Shippo shivered, fear running through his body. He walked silently behind her, knowing that if he moved in front of her in anyway, he would be punished. The regular Kagome he knew didn't mind but this Kagome was very different. This Kagome followed youkai protocol and she was alpha.
After a couple of hours, meandering randomly through the forest, Shippo stilled as he smelled a group of youkai. Glancing at his mother, he saw a sickening evil smile appear. “How convenient.” Leaping into a tree, he followed to the edge of the clearing that his mother went to. Within the clearing were at least twenty youkai. They were surrounding a group of children. From the looks of things, they were being prepared to be auctioned off.
Chi Ken No Tama entered the clearing. Before her stood the youkai. Weaklings. There was no place in this world for the weak. She caught sight of the human children in the center and smirked. She would save them for last. Inside she could hear Kagome yelling at her to not touch the children. The darkness within each was a perfect meal.
Effectively silencing the girl, she watched the youkai turn to her. An oni came forward. “What have we here, a little girl?” Chi tilted her head partially and her purple eyes glittered maliciously in the light of the moon.
“Filth.” Her voice was soft, the cold tone like a whiplash. Another youkai stepped out, a child in his grip, claws poised.
“So you are the living jewel. We found you. The half breed was correct.” He was the leader. “Take her.” Instantly, they darted forward. Chi allowed them to come at her. She didn't even bother reaching for her weapon. Miko power surged around her body. Raising her hands, she sent a blast of purifying energy. It wrapped around the youkai only, suffocating them. The children remained huddled. In a flash, blood poured from the youkai, splattering around the clearing as the miko energy caused different limbs to burst. Chi raised her head, relishing in the death of these creatures. Moving toward the children, she felt Kagome struggle harder.
Standing before them, she looked down at them in disgust. “Go back to your homes.” The children rose. She felt them come to her, hugging her legs in thanks. Turning, she went to return to the group, ignoring them. She receded, allowing Kagome control once more. She was satiated.
Kagome gasped as she felt control return. A gasp of pain soon followed. These children weren't children. She watched as they shimmered and kitsune youkai appeared in their place. Their claws dug into her body, the blood spilling. Immediately, she called on her miko powers but it was too late as one of the youkai buried his claws into her chest. As the youkai fell to dust around her, she dropped to the ground. Shippo immediately darted to aid her.
Shippo had been afraid. He did not like this side of his mother. It scared him. A sigh of relief passed through him as he didn't view the death of the children. She was letting them live. A frown crossed his face. He could still feel youki. A cry came when he watched one of the children grow claws and slash his mother. Before he could do anything, they changed and began to attack. Leaping from his perch, he felt miko energy expand and dust the youkai. Running forward as his mother fell, he whimpered. He felt the barrier surrounding the campsite evaporate. Holding his mother, tears fell. She would most likely be healed by mid noon tomorrow.
Inuyasha rushed forward as soon as he felt the barrier drop. Catching on to Kagome's scent, he followed it. Kirara was right next to him. Soon after, Kagome's scent changed. It smelled more like a youkai than a human. Rushing ahead faster, he soon detected the scent of blood. Bursting into the clearing, he stared in shock. There was blood everywhere. Body parts and piles of dust lay scattered all over. Shippo was sitting in the center, Kagome in his lap. She was pale and blood poured from wounds all over her body. There was no way she would survive. Especially with the chest wound she had. Stumbling forward, he landed on his knees before Shippo. “What happened?” His voice was rough.
Shippo looked up at Inuyasha. He hadn't scented him because of all the blood. “She…” He didn't know how to tell him nor what to tell him.
Inuyasha nodded and ruffled his hair. “It's okay runt.” Shippo watched Inuyasha turn to Kirara who had already transformed. Shippo felt Inuyasha lift Kagome's broken body and place it on Kirara. “Let's go.” Shippo nodded. She was going to be pissed. Standing, he followed Inuyasha slowly back to the camp site. A small grin appeared. How was she going to explain this to the group? Perhaps she would use the excuse of the jewel. After all it was a part of her.