InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ New Life ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Year: 1535
Month: March

The group had been silent the whole night. Shippo had changed into his beast form, curling around Kagome's body, growling at any who dared to come near her. Inuyasha had attempted to talk some sense into the kit but he would have none of it. He remained curled around her body, his red eyes glittering in the night like rubies. It had taken an hour or so before Inuyasha finally gave up, the scratches and bites having healed almost instantly. He wound up settling by Kikyo.

She instantly curled into his body. Turning his head as he smelled tears, he paled. He really did hate when women cried. It was almost as if it was a signal for Sango. The scent got stronger and he mentally groaned. What was he supposed to do now?

By the Kamis, Miroku revealed his answer to his unasked question without even realizing it. He watched Miroku pull Sango into his arms, holding her against him in a hug. Looking at Kikyo, he gingerly wrapped an arm around her waist and gently held Kikyo to him. Placing his chin on her head, he partially closed his eyes. “It's going to be okay Kikyo.”

It confused him. Kikyo had changed a lot since she had been brought back to life, but this was the first time he had seen her cry. Her emotions had started to come out once they had discovered Kagome once more but that was Kagome's talent.

Kikyo kept her eyes closed, the tears silently falling. She dared not open her mouth. She was afraid that she would begin to sob loudly. With Kagome's return, her connection to the woman that used to be her reincarnation had strengthened greatly. She was ashamed to admit that at one time she had judged Kagome as unworthy and weak. She had been introduced to a new side of Kagome through her memories. Having their soul return to her, she had received Kagome's memories of her future family.

She had also seen Kagome's death. It still made her ache in the places that Kagome had been injured. The one thing that tied them the most was in fact the very jewel that had cursed her in her previous life. In a sense she was still one of the protectors of the jewel, but things had been completely changed. The jewel was in fact a person now. It was Kagome. Should Kagome ever find someone to wed or even mate, they would gain the power of the jewel. It was a thought that unnerved her.

In truth, Kikyo had been introduced to a Kagome that was far different than anything she had ever seen. In learning about the real Kagome, she had learned to accept her as family. She had become like a younger sister to her. She couldn't bare this loss of family. She had gotten close to her in the last couple of days that they had traveled together. She had cherished the time spent together with her and Sango. The girls had gathered to form a tight knit unit of family. It was because of Kagome that she gained such a family. It was because of Kagome that she been able to change, to become warm. It was because of Kagome that she could live.

Sango could barely breathe through her sobs. She had barely found her sister and now she had been taken away once again. This time there was no coming back. There was nothing they could do. She was gone from them.

She could understand Shippo's clinginess. He didn't want to release her body to anyone, refusing to believe that she had died. She herself didn't want to accept it. She barely registered Miroku gathering her into his arms, holding her to him. Her hands clutched on to his robe tightly, burying her face against his chest. The pain filled her, overflowing. First, she had lost her brother. Now it was Kagome. When Kikyo had alerted them to the fact that the jewel had vanished off the face of the earth, her worry had grown. Would Kohaku even still be alive? She didn't know what to think. As far as she knew, the jewel shard he had had been keeping him alive. Now that there was no jewel, was he even still alive?

Her mind began to drift, memories of both her brother and Kagome crossing through her mind. She remembered the good things she remembered of their lives. She remembered Kohaku's shy, innocent nature. She remembered Kagome's bright, cheerful smile that seemed to make the world all that much better. Why did horrible things have to happen to such innocent people? Her eyes soon drifted shut, exhaustion taking hold.

Miroku stared down at Sango, in his arms, solemnly. His heart ached for her. She had lost not only her brother but now it was Kagome. Turning his gaze to Shippo, he watched the kitsune curl a little tighter around Kagome's body. They hadn't even been able to clean her body to prepare for burial before Shippo changed and chased them away from her body. Any time they had tried to come close, he had without thought, snapped at them. Miroku knew that the logical side of Shippo was in fact still in control. He could see the look within the kitsune's eyes, knowledgeable. The eyes weren't pure red either. They still glittered the forest green they always had but had tinges of red on the outsides.

At that moment, Shippo raised his head to stare at him. There was a cold look within his eyes that made Miroku shiver somewhat. Even his own power was nothing to the power Shippo was dishing out now. Kagome had to have been training with Shippo for him to become as immune as he had to reiki.

His gaze was thoughtful as he looked back down to Sango. He didn't understand what was going through Shippo's mind now and it confused him. Leaning against the tree he was in front of, he closed his eyes after glancing at Inuyasha and seeing him nod.

Shippo watched as the humans began to fall asleep one by one. Finally, it was just Inuyasha and Kirara. The fire neko hadn't attempted to come near. The two glanced toward Inuyasha and finally watched him curl up into a light sleep next to Kikyo. Anything sudden would wake him.

Glancing back at Kirara, he watched her rise and move toward him slowly. Five feet away, Shippo growled softly, signaling her that it was far enough.

The fire neko appeared disgruntled. “What is the meaning of this kit? Why do you claim her body when I can hear from here that her heart has stopped, and she has no breath within her? Shippo huffed, his growls reverberating.

“She is not fully dead yet. Her head has yet to be removed.”

Kirara narrowed her eyes. What did the kit mean by her not being fully dead yet? It was confusing. How can one be dead and yet not fully dead? It made no sense. Growling, Kirara gave Shippo a censuring look. “Explain yourself kit.”

Shippo let out another growl. He did not like the way Kirara was referring to him. “I do not have to explain myself to you Kirara. I am no longer a part of Inuyasha's pack, nor is my mother.

Kirara's eyes flashed dangerously. Shippo was correct but she had started to see Kagome as one of her own, as she saw Sango and Kohaku. She had already lost one, now she had lost Kagome. Her claws dug into the ground. “You will tell me Shippo. I claimed the girl as one of my own. She is like a daughter to this Kirara. You will tell me kit. What secret do you keep?” Before Shippo could lash out, he froze. His eyes had begun to seep fully red, his youki expanding, hinting at the possible strength of his own power.

Almost immediately, his eyes became pure green, but he remained in his animal form. Now, Kagome was safer with him like this. He could feel him coming.

In moments, Inuyasha's head shot up. He growled softly. Kikyo and Sango were too exhausted to even recognize that someone was coming. Miroku's eyes opened, his gaze going to Inuyasha. Neither wished to wake the girls and so they remained. Besides, Inuyasha felt a hopelessness that he had never had before.

After a few minutes, they arrived. Sesshomaru strode into the camp, his gaze inspecting them all. When his eyes rested on Kagome, they narrowed. At that moment, Rin ran in. “Kagome!” The girl looked around confused. When her gaze came to rest on Kagome, she whimpered and pressed herself to the back of Sesshomaru's legs. Then Jaken and Ah Un appeared.

Before Jaken could speak, Sesshomaru glared at him. Turning to Inuyasha, he saw the anger in his eyes and yet there was desperation there. Turning to the miko, his hand moved to Tensaiga, but the kit rose, shaking his head. At that moment, the sun began to rise. Sesshomaru stared at the kit. Without a word, he pulled Tensaiga and swung. The wounds healed instantly but still no heartbeat came from the miko. His gaze moved to Tensaiga as disgust filled him. As he thought, useless. “What happened to the miko?”

The monk was the one that spoke. “She was attacked and killed. She was away from us. Inuyasha found her and Shippo after she was dead.” At that moment the kit snarled angrily. Looking to the kit, he eyed him carefully. “Speak kit.” The fox refused to answer, his green eyes glittering angrily.

“You are not of my mother's pack.” The kit's voice was rough and ragged. Interest sparked within. The kit was in his true form and yet his logical side remained in control. Only Taiyoukai were capable of the feat and yet from what he could sense of the kit, his power had yet to reach that strong. Turning, Sesshomaru settled against a tree. Until the kit came back to himself, he would wait.

Shippo eyed Sesshomaru suspiciously. His gaze turned to Rin. The girl was quiet, huddling against Sesshomaru's side. He could hear Jaken grumbling from his place by Ah Un. Nuzzling Kagome's neck, he settled back by her side, laying his head on her chest. Hours passed in the standoff. As Kikyo and Sango finally woke, Shippo felt a very faint pulse from his mother. Lifting his head, he stared down at her.

Sadness came into his eyes. Hopefully she wouldn't feel much pain this time when she woke. Hopefully. Laying his head back on her chest, he waited. After a few minutes, he heard it. A beat. Rising, he shook himself and allowed himself to return to his humanoid form. The others stared over in surprise at him. Moving away from Kagome, Shippo settled against a tree, closing his eyes.

Inuyasha, Sango, Kikyo and Miroku stared at Shippo in surprise. Had he finally given in to Kagome's death. No one saw Sesshomaru's eyes open and latch on to Kagome with interest. Inuyasha moved forward and kneeled by his friend. Brushing hair out of her face, he smiled. His smile slowly froze and then fell. Rising to his feet, his ears went back on his head, his gaze never leaving Kagome.

Kikyo moved forward and touched Inuyasha's shoulder. “Inuyasha, are you okay?” Everyone else was so focused on Inuyasha that they didn't hear Kirara hiss nor when ice blue eyes opened in wonder. This made Inuyasha pale even more though. No one saw her rise. A giggle came from within, but no one knew where it had come from.

“Hi guys. Sorry I took so long to wake up.” Everyone paled and turned to face a blushing Kagome where she was sitting on the ground.