InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ No Glass Slipper Involved ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~Hello all those of you who followed me to this new story of mine. I was saving this one for when Lost was completed, which it finally is. Thank you to all those who reviewed that story. Here is a completely new one to "take its place", so to speak.

Disclaimer: Only saying this once for the entire fic. I do not own Inu Yasha, only my story and any characters I make up.

"blah"= talking

'blah'= thinking

(blah)= random comments from myself that are necessary, random, or to make you laugh

Now read and enjoy!~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Introduction

The metal door creaked open as a man in a blue uniform escorted a woman wearing an orange outfit, one that all those on that side of the glass wore. The woman's raven hair was pulled back in a low pony tail, showing off her deep brown eyes, eyes that went to the one window that was to be hers. The man motioned for her to walk in that direction until she reached the chair she was to occupy.

When the male walked away, the woman looked across from her to look directly into the deep brown eyes of the raven haired female. Her hair was in a low pony tail as well. Both reached to the side and picked up the phones hanging there so that they might talk.

"Long time no see."

"Why did you ask for me?"

"I needed to talk to you."

"I repeat, why?"

"You might be surprised, but I plan on writing a book on us, what we went through. I wanted to get the whole story, not just one side."

The woman sighed into the phone. "Why the heck do you want to do this? You always hated writing."

"I need to get it out. So, you gonna help me with our little fairy tale story?"

"Let's get this straight right away. This is no Cinderella story, not the traditional kind anyway. There were no evil step mothers or a magically night at the ball that can only last until midnight. No glass slipper involved. There was no real 'Happily Ever After' you read about in Fairy Tales. Yet, in a way, there was a bit of Cinderella in the story. In a weird way I guess."

The other woman pulled out a pen and paper to start writing. "You mind if I use that?"

"Go right ahead, I guess."

After she had written it all down, brown eyes focused on equally deep brown orbs. "Please continue."

"Alright. Let me think. I guess it all started when we moved to that new town. No, it started before that, back when he was still alive. Life was okay then, but everything went down hill when he died. That's when life changed forever, for bad or good."

The woman stopped writing and looked at her. "Can you give me a more descriptive account?"

"And you can't fill it in the events yourself?"

"I told you. I want your point of view. I know my side. Tell me yours."

"Alright, then I'll start at the beginning. Back during his last few days…"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter One

The city was crowded today as usual. No one could move without bumping into someone else. Unless you were of a higher status, then people moved out of your way. Everyone was walking around going from vendor to vendor, trying to buy up the latest fashions and trends. It didn't matter how stupid it looked, just that it was the "in" thing.

Pushing through the crowd was a woman with raven hair flying out of control. Unlike the other females, this girl did not restrain her hair today. She let it run wild in the wind as she ran down the street with a bundle in her hands. Racing through the streets, she finally came upon a house she was trying to get to. Reaching into her skirt pocket, she pulled out a key and unlocked the door, swinging it open as she walked into the house. "Mother, father, I'm home."

A woman with shoulder length black hair came into the room dressed in a navy blue skirt that came down to her knees and a white blouse. "Oh good, you're back. Did you get your father's medicine?"

"Hai. Dr. Yukimura said for father to take it right away."

"Well, make haste, girl. Go give it to him."

"Hai." The girl wasted no time in going up the stairs and to the second door on the right. Knocking lightly, she pushed open the door and entered the large room. It was a nice sky blue with a large green covered bed. A kind looking man lay in the bed, smiling weakly at the girl. "Is that you, my little Kagome?"

"Hai, otosan. I brought you your medicine."

"Ah yes. If it tastes like that other stuff, just let me waste away."

"Otosan! Don't say such things!"

A small chuckle came out of the man's mouth. "Gomen, Kagome. I'm just tired." As he repositioned himself in bed, Kagome came over with the medicine. After measuring the correct amount, she sat on his bed and held the spoon out to his mouth. Waiting until he opened his mouth, she put the spoon in and made him swallow the medicine. After making a face, causing the girl to giggle, the man smiled. "So tell me, what goes on while I stay trapped in this bed? How is your sister doing?"

A sigh escaped her lips. "There's nothing really important going on. Kikyo has taken a fancy to Syaoran."

"Yelan's boy? What a cold and distant boy. He's no good for her. He's too… emotionless. Besides, I thought he was smitten with that girl, Sakura."

"Sakura and him have been together for awhile now."

"Then why is Kikyo after him?"

"Believe it or not, but their personalities are very similar."

Noticing her bitter tone, the man drew his eyebrows together in confusion. "Kagome, that's not like you. What has happened while I've been isolated? Tell me the truth."

Releasing a deep breath, Kagome shifted. "She rarely stays home anymore. It's like she doesn't want to be here with us."

"Kagome, why do you think that is?"

Turning her head away, the girl frowned. "You say that as if you know the answer already."

"I do. Kikyo is able to help others day in and day out, but she is unable to handle such illness when it's in the family. This house and family is supposed to be a release from that life. Now that I'm so sick, she can't deal with it, causing her to leave."

Shaking her head, Kagome turned to her father. "Otosan, it's still not right. We're her family. Kikyo shouldn't run away from family. It's times like these we should stick together."

"Which is why I came home to see how father's doing."

Both of them looked towards the door to see a woman with long raven hair and brown eyes that held a small spark of emotion. She was wearing a red skirt that went to her kneed and a white peasant-like blouse. Unlike Kagome, Kikyo had her hair tied back with a white ribbon.

The woman walked over to the end of the bed and looked at the man. "How are you feeling?"

"I can only promise to live this day. Anymore is up to Kami."

"Otosan!" Kagome sat up and gave him a gentle glare. "I told you not to say such things."

Kikyo snapped her head towards her sister. "Hush imoto. He only speaks the truth."

Kagome looked at her. "Oneesan, otosan should not think in such a negative light. Half the battle is mental. If he gives up, then it's as good as over."

"Please, continue to talk about me as if I were not laying here." The man smiled at his two daughters, who looked at him as if they were ashamed of their actions. A chuckle escaped his lips. "Kagome, you are correct with keeping a positive attitude, but everyone's life is really on borrowed time. Life is short. This is why I push you to live life to the fullest and have no regrets."

The younger of the two girls sat up. "You don't have any regrets, do you otosan?"

Before answering, he smiled at her. "None from where I'm sitting. I have a wonderful life with two beautiful daughters. What more could a man ask for?"

Kikyo shifted before clearing her throat. "Excuse me, but I have to go see to Ms. Yoshimatsu. I just wanted to check up on you before I went over."

"Arigatou, Kikyo. Can a father get a hug from his eldest girl?"

With slight hesitation, the woman walked over and gave the man a slight hug before quickly releasing him. Giving him a bow for respect, Kikyo left the room, leaving Kagome and the man alone. He turned to the girl sitting on the bed. "I see what you were saying about her, but do not worry. Kikyo is strong and has her own way of dealing with situations. Just give her some time. She'll be fine."

Wrapping her arms around herself, Kagome sighed. "I hope so. It feels weird having Kikyo so distant."

"She will change when this is all over. Have faith in your sister."

"Hai, otosan."

Smiling, the man shifted again deeper into the bed. "I'm tired now. That stupid medication makes me sleepy."

Getting up, Kagome kissed her father's cheek. "Sleep well, otosan. I'll come back later." She headed towards the door to let him rest.

"Hai. Kagome?" The said girl turned and looked back at him. "Stay strong. Never back down to fit the social norms, especially if you know you are right."

With a slight nod, Kagome left the room.

~Later that night~

Kagome sighed as she walked into the kitchen with a tray full of food on it. The woman with the navy skirt looked up at her. "Still asleep?"

The girl nodded. "Hai, okasan."

"Good. Sleep keeps him from coughing all day. It'll be good for him to be able to breathe for awhile."

Kagome sat next to her mother at the kitchen table after placing the tray on the counter. "Okasan, I'm worried about him. He seemed a lot weaker today."

The woman sighed. "So you noticed that too. Kagome, I don't know what more we can do for him. The medication only gives him borrowed time."

"Otosan said the same thing, that everyone's life is borrowed time."

"Your father is wise that way. I'm worried though. The medication is very expensive. This new batch should last at least a month. By then we should have enough for the next batch."

"What does Kikyo say about this?"

"Only that she'll work more often to try and help, but there are only so many hours in the day."

Kagome sat at the edge of her seat. "Okasan, I could help. I could work in someone's home as a maid or something."

With a slight shake of her head, the woman smiled. "No, Kagome. It is not so desperate that we need you to do that. You are still young."

"I'm seventeen. Well, I will be tomorrow. There are girls younger than me who are working."

"But their families are in desperate need of the money. We can manage, sweetie. Right now, I need you to be here for your father. Do you understand? Besides, Kikyo is working enough to cover for the extra money. She is the eldest after all."

"She's only five years older. It's not that big of a difference."

"Kagome, enough. I appreciate the offer, but your father needs you more than we need the extra money. End of discussion. Enjoy your young life instead of demanding to work and give up your time."

Lowering her head, Kagome nodded. "Hai, okasan."

With a sigh, her mother sat back. "Kikyo should be home soon. Why don't you go heat up some food for her to eat? She will be hungry after a long day of work."

"Hai." Kagome stood and went over to the tray and placed it in the oven to keep its warmth. Turning back to her mother, she said, "I'm a bit tired. I think I'll go upstairs and turn in early, if that's alright with you."

"Sleep well, Kagome. Everything will have a different look in the morning."

With a nod, Kagome left the room and headed to her room. A few moments later, she heard the door open and close, signaling her older sister had returned from her day's work. She could tell her sister and mother passed a few words before one started up the stairs. There was a small knock on her door and when Kagome called for them to enter, Kikyo entered the room. She looked worn and tired from her day, but still held that grace and dignity.

She came into the room and sat on Kagome's bed. "Mother told me about you wanting to go to work to help out with the financial situation. She wanted to know what I thought about it."

"And?"

"And I came up here to find out for myself why you want to do this."

Kagome sat up in bed and looked at her sister. "Oneesan, it feels wrong that you and okasan go out everyday and work so hard while I'm here doing nothing."

"That's not true. You are doing far more than I. You are here to be with father. I can't do that, even if I wanted to. In that way, you are stronger than I."

"How so? You are the one with the miko abilities, not me."

"It is a gift and a curse. It's different to go out and care for the sick and dying than to come home to it. You are able to do both. Besides, my powers did not surface right away. They were provoked into coming forth, when my life depended on it."

Kagome nodded. "I remember. That centipede got what it deserved though. How could it attack an innocent village like that?"

"It's a demon. Demons are violent with a thirst for blood."

"Not all demons. I think there have to be some good ones."

Kikyo smiled at her. "One day, I hope you can prove that to me, imoto. But for now, I wish for you to stay the way you are. Please wait a little longer to grow up completely."

Nodding, Kagome sighed. "Hai, oneesan."

"It's for your own good. Who knows? Maybe one day you will receive powers as well, perhaps more powerful than myself. Until then, stay as you are."

"Hai, Kikyo."

"Good. Good night, Kagome."

"Night."

With that, Kikyo stood and left the room, heading for her own private sanctuary. It wasn't that she wanted to limit her sister. Kikyo wanted her to stay pure and innocent, stuck in her ideals as long as she could. To do so, Kikyo would work as hard as she could, doing her best to keep Kagome from that life of cruelty.

Before crawling into bed, she looked in the direction of her father's room. Tears sprang from her eyes as she placed her head on the pillow. Silently, she prayed to Kami for Kagome's strength before falling deep into slumber.

~The middle of the night~

A loud coughing sound broke through the household, waking Kagome from her slumber. Curious, she got out of bed and followed the horrible sound until she came to her father's bedroom door. 'Oh Kami, no…' "Otosan!" Without knocking, Kagome shoved open the doors and ran in to find her father in the middle of a horrible coughing fit that was causing him to be unable to breathe. "Otosan!"

The man tried to focus on his baby girl, but his eyes closed as he continued to cough. Kagome ran out into the hallway. "Oneesan! Okasan! Come quick!" Without waiting, she ran back into the room and to her father's side. "Otosan, please stop this. Please."

Her mother and sister ran into the room and exchanged words before they both ran out, probably one getting the doctor while the other went to find his current medication. The man looked at his daughter as he gasped for air. "Promise me… *gasp* to be strong. Have *gasp* no regrets. This *gasp* is my hope for you, my sweet Kagome. I'm sorry. *cough* Happy… Birth…" He took one last big gasp of air before collapsing back onto the bed, eyes closed.

Kagome looked at him in horror. Leaning over, she placed her hand under his nose to feel if he was in fact breathing. Her eyes went wide as tears began to fill them. "No… no…. NO!" Kagome shook the man violently, trying to get him to open his eyes. "Otosan, no." When she finally realized he wasn't going to awaken, Kagome let out a cry of pain into the night. "OTOSAN!!!!!!!!!"

Kikyo stood at the doorway a few minutes later, seeing her little sister weeping on top of their father's dead body, her mother quietly sobbing in the corner of the room. She had brought the doctor too late. Their father was gone. Lowering her head, she thanked the doctor for his time, then went over to her sister. The girl was crying so hard, obviously crushed by losing the most important person in the world to her. Gently, Kikyo took Kagome's head off of the body and placed it onto her shoulder, letting her sister cry her eyes out into her. Kikyo had to remain strong for the family.

"Oneesan… Otosan's…"

"Shh. Hush imoto. Father wouldn't want you to be sad."

"*sniff* He told me to stay strong. But he's…"

Kikyo took a moment before answering her. "It's just us now." Inside, Kikyo was crushed as well, not only because her father died, but because she was not there. Kagome was always there. Pain coursed through her as Kikyo let a few tears fall from her own eyes, taking the last of her emotional spark with them.

~A few weeks later~

Kagome sighed as she packed some of her most precious items into a small bag that hug at her side. She was only allowed so much to take with her. They were leaving this night out of this town and away from the only home she had known. Their financial situation was worse than any of them had imagined. The funeral was barely covered by what they had saved, but there were still too many bills that could not be paid. As a result, her mother had to sell their home and most of their possessions just to make ends meet.

Now they were taking what they had left and going somewhere new to start over. This town held too much pain for the family. Even Kikyo agreed after making sure the town would be protected while she was gone.

Wiping away a few tears, Kagome took her small bag and headed towards the door, out where her mother and sister were waiting. With one last look at her home, Kagome walked up to them and nodded, signaling she was ready. Kikyo nodded and began walking in one direction towards the main road. Going on this road would lead them to somewhere new, where everything would change forever.

~*~

The woman put down her pen for a moment. "Is that all?"

"You were there too. If I missed anything, fill in the blanks."

"I told you. I want your side."

Sighing, the raven hair woman sat back. "Let's put it this way. That day change our lives forever. Nothing would ever be the same. And to think this is the beginning of the story."

"Excuse me, but your time is up."

Both women looked up at the man in uniform that stood behind the one on that side of the glass. The woman sighed. "Is there anyway you can come back tomorrow?"

The other woman sighed. "I'll try. No promises though."

"That's all I can ask for. Thank you."

"Right." With that, both of them hung up the phone and left out their respected doors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~*~That's all for now. Please review and tell me what you think. Updates will be random, as in they will come whenever I think and type things up. College is murder lately. Oh, and yes, you are supposed to be utterly and completely confused as to who is who (like who's telling the story). You'll find out at the end who's saying what.

Again, review please and I'll be back as soon as I can. I must battle with my mind first. Ja ne!~*~