InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ No Glass Slipper Involved ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Blinks* Wow… Didn't expect even two reviews for this one. Odd. Anywho, Might as well give you chapter two also… *shrug*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once the woman took her seat, she picked up the phone and smiled. "Glad you could make it."

"You know I could never say no, especially to you during this time."

The smile still on her face, she took out her notebook and pencil, looking up to signal she was ready. The other woman sighed and sat back in her chair. "Whenever you're ready."

"Let's see. Every single detail, right?"

"Hai."

"Okay. That night, we got a lift from a man traveling to the town of Hajimari, about thirty miles away. Mother figured that would be far enough away to truly start over. Of course it was difficult at first. Hajimari had a reputation of not treating women the way they should, including giving them unfair wages at pathetic jobs, if they were allowed to get any."

"Not exactly a female-friendly place."

"Not really. It was definitely an adjustment, considering we came from a place that sought to make women more independent. Let's me think. I remember our first night there…"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter Two

The cart stopped outside of a reasonably average size town, people going from one store to another. Judging by the tall, lavish style homes, it was apparent this was a very rich neighborhood. The three women jumped out of the vehicle and thanked the kind man for taking them this far. He looked over at them and smiled. "I am sorry for your troubles. Hajimari is a place of new beginnings, if you are willing to look for your chances. Good luck to you three."

"Arigatou, ojii-san!" Kagome waved to the man as he rode away into the night, going on to the next town instead.

Without wasting any time, the eldest woman picked up her things and walked straight into the town, her daughters following suit. Without looking at them, she walked up to the edge of the city limits. "Now girls, we will have to take any job we can find. Kikyo has a slight advantage, being a trained miko. Perhaps you can help the town healer or find an elder miko to work with. Kagome, you will have to start from scratch, taking whatever job you can. Ideally, we will all be able to find work as maids and live in the household."

Kikyo remained silent as she observed the area they walked into. Yes, this was a very rich place, thus their prices for everything would be high. Sure, the work might pay nicely, but to survive they would have to work long hours and give up all luxuries. Food and clothing would be the most important. Anything else was a waste.

The woman walked up to one home and knocked hard, trying to get someone's attention. After a few moments, a man with a stern look on his face look down his nose at her. She was, after all, not dressed in the best. During their journey here, the females sold all they had, expect what they dared not part with. All they had to wear were rags at this point. "May I help you?"

"Yes, I was hoping you were looking for some new maids for the household. My two daughters are young and strong, great workers. I am good at keeping a home tidy and in shape."

Kagome thought she saw the man smile a bit, as if he was laughing at their misfortune. "We are not hiring any new staff members. Even if we were, we would find someone much more suitable for the position, not some paupers on the street." With that, the man slammed the door in their faces, leaving Kagome disgusted.

"Well, that was rude!"

"Hush, Kagome. We must keep looking. Wasting energy being angry is energy better used for seeking employment."

Nodding at her mother, Kagome followed her small family from one house to another, thus going from one slammed door to another. It was very deep into the night and the sky opened up to drop rain upon them and their misfortune. Her mother, physically exhausted, was being supported by her elder sister while Kagome resumed the knocking on the doors.

The rain was seeping through her worn clothing, causing the young girl to look more like a drown rat than a lady. She came upon one final door, just about giving up hope. Lifting her tired limp, she knocked as hard as she could on the wooden door, waiting for someone to come, yell at her for waking them up and then slamming the door before she could even get a word out.

Surprisingly, the door flew open and a young man with violet eyes looked upon her with pity. Kagome didn't let him speak first. "Please, sir, my mother, sister and I have been knocking on doors since we arrived, looking for some kind of work, or just a place to stay the night in order to resume our search in the morning. If you have any sympathy in your heart, please allow us to at least stay the night so that we may warm ourselves. We shall be out of your home by morning."

The man smiled at her as he opened the door more. "Come in out of the rain. We shall discuss your predicament inside where it is warm. This invitation goes to your family as well."

Kagome looked up at him and smiled, something she hadn't done since her father's death. "Arigatou." She turned and went to fetch her sister and mother. To her surprise, the man walked out and went to the mother right away. "Here. Let's get you all inside." Shifting the weight from Kikyo to himself, the man walked the mother and two daughters inside the home and right in front of the fireplace.

The home was small, but quaint, suitable for a small family or even a place of business. Wasting no time, the man brought their mother into the back room, apparently a spare bedroom. He turned to the two females left standing and smiled again, kindness radiating off of him. "Please, make yourselves comfortable and warm by the fire. I have some futons in the closet you may sleep on. We'll discuss your employment problem in the morning, after you've all had a chance to rest."

The eldest girl stepped forward, nodding at the man. "Arigatou. I am Kikyo Higurashi. This is my younger sister Kagome."

A soft smile overtook him again as the man introduced himself…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"That was the day we met Miroku. It still amazes me that he took us in, some random strangers off the street like that. For all he knew, we could have been thieves."

The woman looked up. "Do you still keep in contact with him?"

"Yes. He lives just down the street from us."

"Oh really? I didn't know that."

"Shall I continue?"

"Please."

"Alright. Miroku brought out the futons, as said, and left us by the fire. When morning came, we woke up to wondrous smells. Curious, we went and saw him in the kitchen, making us all breakfast. Miroku invited us to sit and eat with him while sharing our story. Mother was still asleep in the spare room at this time, so we all just chatted, letting her sleep…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Miroku put down his tea and looked at the two beautiful women. "Well, from what I know about this place, you will all have a hard time finding employment. Kikyo-sama, I am good friends with the town miko, Kaede-sama. I can bring you both to her this afternoon."

Kikyo sat up a bit. "The both of us?"

"Well yes. It is highly unusual for the miko trait to not run in the family. I assume it will appear in Kagome as well, if not already."

Kagome's eyes went wide with a spark of hope as her mouth fell open. "Really?!?"

A somewhat snort came from the direction of the doorway. All three heads turned and saw their mother standing there. "Kagome is not a miko. Kikyo is the eldest and the most experienced. She is the miko, not Kagome."

Miroku looked over and saw Kagome's head slowly lower as her mother spoke these harsh words. 'It's as if she saying Kagome has no worth.' Standing up slightly, he looked at the older woman. "Kaede-sama is a very respected and loved person in Hajimari, thus she would also be able to help you all find jobs. She lives at the shrine and has a lot more room than this small building. If I know her as well as I do, she will probably offer you all a place to stay."

Kagome sat up in her seat. "How do you know Kaede-sama so well?"

"Well, technically I'm a Buddhist monk, but that doesn't really pay the bills. Kaede-sama helped me continue with my training when I first came to town and also found a place for me to stay as well as a job."

"What do you do, Miroku-san?"

"Please, just Miroku will do. I am the religious advisor to the King. Whenever he needs advice on foreign religious customs, he calls me in. When he doesn't need me for that, I work with the princes."

"I didn't know there were princes."

Kikyo turned to her little sister, a look that clearly said Kagome was talking too much. The girl bowed her head. "Gomen. I guess I ask too many questions."

A rich laugh broke through the kitchen as they all turned to Miroku. He looked at the girl and smiled. "You need to ask questions in order to get answers. Ask away. I'm probably one of the few men who want women to speak their minds. Keep that quality and don't let anyone walk all over you."

The smile on his face grew after seeing the younger girl smile. 'She does have a beautiful smile. It's as if she smiles with her whole being.' At that moment, he promised himself he would do everything he could to help her and her family.

Her mother looked between the two and frowned. 'This won't do.' Clearing her throat, she looked over at the… monk and smiled. "When will we be able to see this Kaede-sama?"

Miroku torn his gaze away from Kagome and looked over to her mother. "We can head out now if you'd like, Higurashi-san."

"Please, call me Nariko."

Nodding his head slightly to show he understood and accepted her request, he turned back to the other girls. "If you all wish to freshen up a bit first, you may use the spare room over there. There is a wash bin there."

"Arigatou, Miroku, but we have nothing to change into. This will have to do."

The violet eyed man turned his attention the Kikyo, the one who had spoken. "Alright, then let us go see Kaede-sama. Perhaps she will also be able to find some clothing for you to change into."

Kagome sprang up as Nariko and Kikyo slowly headed in his direction by the door. The youngest walked right next to him. "Miroku, how old are you? You don't look much older than me."

"And how old are you, Kagome?"

"Seventeen."

He smiled at her again. "Well, I'm a little older. Twenty."

"Really? Kikyo is twenty-two."

"Kagome, I hardly think Miroku is interested in trivial facts," Kikyo semi-scolded her sister.

"Nonsense. I enjoy learning new things about new people. Besides, it's a pretty good walk. What other way to pass the time besides talking?"

Already Miroku had his opinions of the women. 'Nariko is a strong woman and relies on her eldest, deeming her the one with the most worth due to her abilities. Kikyo must be the strongest of them all due to her mother's opinion, but does care for Kagome. She just wants her little sister to be able to handle herself, but also to fit in. Kagome on the other hand needs to stand out. Perhaps she just needs the right situation in order to show off just how great she is.'

After walking out of the town for about five minutes, they all came upon a shrine. At the base of the shrine, as if guarding over the entrance was a hut that looked as if it could fit two or three people. Miroku walked to the hut and called out for the miko. "Kaede-sama?"

"Hai?" An elder woman in the traditional miko attire came out, gray hair tied back. She also had an eye patch over her right eye, a wound from an old fight perhaps. "Oh, Miroku-sama. Who have you brought with you this time?"

"I thought you might be able to assist them. This is the Higurashi family: Nariko-san, Kikyo-sama, and Kagome-sama. They traveled a long way after a horrible tragedy left them homeless. Perhaps you could help them find work?"

Raising up a hand to silence the monk, Kaede walked up to both the young women and studied them carefully. Taking a step back, she smiled, looking over at Kikyo. "You must be the oldest, the one who has found her powers and developed them already."

"Hai."

"Then if you'd like, I can help you continue your studies here. And you," Kaede turned to Kagome, "you have not yet gotten in touch with your power. I can help you discover it and show you how to prepare for it's arrival."

Before Kagome could respond, Nariko stepped forth. "Gomen, Kaede-sama, but Kagome is not a miko. She will work just like I, preferably as a maid in a household here."

Kaede turned to the mother. "Kagome can work and develop her powers as well. If she does not develop and control them early, they will overtake and consume her, ultimately destroying her. Miko abilities are not something you can choose to be born with. It will be safer to teach her than to ignore her gift."

It was very apparent Nariko did not like that answer at all, but could say nothing in front of the elder miko. Kaede, seeming satisfied, motioned for all of them to enter the hut. Kagome was the first to enter, sitting herself by the fire in the middle of the floor. Kikyo and Nariko sat off to the side as Miroku sat on one side of Kagome, Kaede on the other. "Alright, from what I know, the Nakamoto family is looking for an in-home head maid, a management position. Nariko-san, this seems like something that would be perfect for you. They would probably take in Kikyo and Kagome as well, in return for service of course. Things have not been well in that household. Nakamoto-san lost his wife five years ago and is trying to raise his daughter. Perhaps three more women in the house will help in her growth."

Kagome sat up and asked, "How old is she?"

Thinking for a moment, the old woman gave her answer. "About sixteen."

"That's a year younger than me!"

Kaede smiled at the young girl's energy. She turned to the mother who looked as if she were in deep thought. "Is that alright with you, Nariko-san?"

The woman looked up and bowed slightly. "Hai, Kaede-sama. That is most generous of you to assist us."

"It is no bother. I shall even write a letter to Nakamoto-san explaining you all have my approval. Hardly anyone overlooks that."

"Arigatou."

Kagome smiled at Miroku, who returned it. He was quite fascinated by the young girl since the beginning. Her energy seemed to just travel to everyone, which was quite charming. It was a shame she was in this situation though, with her father dying like that. 'She should never know such pain.'

"Miroku-sama, could you please escort these women to Nakamoto-san's home?"

Snapping out of his daze, the monk looked over at the miko, blinking his eyes. "Hai. It would be my honor."

Kaede smiled at him, already knowing he had his eye sent on the younger daughter. Something told her that the two would not be romantically involved, but good friends instead. Her hunches were never wrong in these matters.

The family thanked the woman again and headed off back into the town. Miroku lead the way again with Kagome by his side, Kikyo and Nariko behind them. While walking through the crowded streets, they were all pushed and shoved out of the way by busy people, off to who knows where. At one point, Kagome was separated from the group, Miroku taking his eyes off her for only a moment. "Kagome-sama?!?" He went frantic looking for her, trying to look over heads as he forcefully told the other women to stand off to the side just in case. 'Damn it. Where could she have gone?'

Meanwhile, Kagome looked around for the violet eyed man. "Miroku? Miroku?!?" Slightly afraid, Kagome kept walking, looking for the kind man she had known less than a day. "Miroku?"

"Excuse me. You lost?"

Turning around, Kagome came face to face with a man with beautiful amber eyes and long silver hair. Those intense eyes seemed to capture her as she gazed into them. Someone ran passed them both, bumping into Kagome causing her to fall forward. "Whoa, hang on there." The man caught her in his arms and looked her over. "You okay there?"

Kagome looked up at him again. "I-I got lost."

The man smiled at her, showing off… fangs? "I can see that. Who are you looking for?"

Taking a moment to compose herself, and to get out of his arms, Kagome cleared her throat. "Miroku."

Blinking a few times, the man looked her over. "You're with Miroku?"

"Miroku offered us a place to stay until we could get work. We just arrived last night."

"During that rain storm? That must have been rough. Come on. I'll take you to him." He started walking off in one direction, the girl following close behind.

Kagome smiled at him. "Arigatou. I'm Kagome Higurashi."

The man hesitated a bit before answering. "You can call me Inu.'

"Alright, Inu. How do you know Miroku?"

He looked over at her as the crowd thickened. "Here, take my hand. The crowd's getting worse." After taking her hand in his, he went on to answer her question. "I've known Miroku for a long time, ever since he came to the Hajimari."

"Kagome-sama?!?"

The girl looked up with a smile on her face. "Miroku!!"

The violet eyed man looked over at her with a wave of relief washing over him. Miroku ran over to them. "There you are. We've been looking everywhere for… you…" The monk came to a slow stop as he saw the man and woman holding hands. Raising an eyebrow at them, he watched as the male dropped her hand immediately. "I see you met a friend of mine."

"Hai! Inu was kind enough to save me from the crowd and help me find you." Kagome smiled at them both, then looked over Miroku's shoulder. "I see you somehow kept mother and Kikyo in one spot. Arigatou."

Miroku removed his glare from the amber eyed man and turned his attention back to her. "We were all worried about you. Come on. Nakamoto-san is just down the block over there." Before she could say anything, the monk took Kagome's arm and led her towards her family.

Twisting away a bit, Kagome waved at her savior. "Bye, Inu! Thanks again!"

Smiling, the man waved back at the girl as he watched them walk away…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Girls, your time is up." Both looked over at the man in uniform as he shrugged. "You know the rules. I was just getting into the story as well."

One of the raven haired females looked up at him with a sad smile. "And to think this is just the beginning. There's still a long way to go.'

"I'm guessing you want to see me again tomorrow."

"If that's not a problem."

"I'll make it work." With that, the one left out the door to freedom as the other went into a large building, waiting until the next day.

~*~That's all for now. Gotta run! Leave fun reviews! Ja ne!~*~