InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ No One's Laughing ❯ Why? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yeah!! I got my first review! Yes, he is dreaming, and incidentally, talking in his sleep. Okay, okay, let us return to the story.

Disclaimer: Thank the Lord I don't own Inu Yasha because if I did, my cat would smother him in his sleep.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Why were they doing this to him? Couldn't they tell how much it hurt him? Inuyasha cringed at his own thoughts. Couldn't he tell how much he was hurting them? They stayed still for a while as Inuyasha wallowed in self-pity. He was in the middle of the clearing with the two women on either side, arms outstretched, reaching desperately, knowing one would pull back empty handed and alone.

Kikyo's voice rang through the clearing, "Inuyasha, you must choose. You know it's not fair to promise yourself to both the girl from the future and me. It is time for you to decide once and for all."

Inuyasha was dumbfounded. She hadn't said anything to him since he got there, and now she dumps this on his head? For all. Finally. He couldn't understand why they wanted this so badly. He was confused and frustrated. His heart hurt and his eyes were starting to glisten with tears. He couldn't believe Kikyo and Kagome would put him in this situation.

"No," he thought, "I was the one who created this situation. I strung them along. I did this. Not them. Me." This realization broke the fragile thread that held his anger and sadness back. Anger that he had hurt these women, that he didn't know what to do, and it was his own fault. Sadness that he would have to cause one to be in pain again. He tilted his head back and roared as loud as he could, but it only helped a little. He fell to his knees and began to cry in earnest as the last of the birds that his outburst had disturbed fluttered away. He glared at Kikyo for a moment.

"Why?" he begged, "Why are you doing this to me?" Kikyo stared back with cold, sad eyes, incapable of tears.

"Inuyasha, it hurts a lot knowing that the one you love has chosen someone else. It hurts more to not be sure."

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Inuyasha sputtered in Kagome's lap. She had never seen him cry before, especially not like this. It was as if he was in the worst pain imaginable.

"Why?" he moaned, "Why are you doing this to me?" Kagome stroked his damp hair and scratched his ears. Who was this person, and what were they doing to Inuyasha? He always seemed to be the one suffering, like fate was out to get him, or he was the victim of some cruel cosmic joke. He was orphaned and abandoned young and his only living relative despised him. In fact, most youkai hated him just because of what he was. A piece of them interbred with a lowly human. A hanyou. Then he was betrayed and killed by the woman he loved. Only to be freed and have to spend the remainder of his days fighting to secure and reassemble the jewel she left behind. The jewel had been shattered like his life. Except, in his case, there were no shards for him to piece back together. Only painful memories and promises of a painful future.

And now, he was lying on Kagome's legs, dying. This was the worst fever Kaede had ever seen, and, of course, it was Inuyasha who was afflicted. Who else would it be? It wasn't fair. Kagome leaned down to the ears she had been scratching. She put her lips to them and felt them jerk about, desperate to escape whatever was happening inside his head.

"Oh Inuyasha," Kagome whispered in them, "there is something I must tell you before it's too late." The ears stop twitching as Kagome's voice breathed into him.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

A/N: Whew! What a hard life Inuyasha has had. Am I a bad person to keep making it harder? Nah! Let me know what you think about my story.