InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Not Knowing ❯ She's like her Mother ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: She's Like her mother
 
~11 years later~
 
A young girl ran through the forest away from the horde of demons that chased her. Her black hair fanning out behind with every step she took.
 
“Bad idea to wake a demon when it's asleep. Bad idea!” She yelled, “Man this is no fun.”
 
She continued to run. The full moon had started to set and the light was fading, getting harder and harder to see. It almost wasn't enough light to see the cliff she was coming to.
 
“Ohhh, stop, stop, stop, STOP!!!” She said as she skidded to a halt at the cliffs edge. Huffing as she looked down at the long drop, “Oh, crap, this sucks. Just a bit longer. Come on.” She said to herself, looking at the mountain range, seeing a small glimmer of the new day's rays peaking over. Her violet eye's praying that she'd get out of here in time.
 
`Damn you human wench. How dare you interrupt our slumber. You will pay with your life. PREPARE TO DIE!” Said the demon, gruesome venom pouring from its protruding fangs.
 
She flinched and backed up a step, rocks and ruble falling from under her heel, `Damn it.'
 
She looked back over at the mountain, seeing the sun; she smiled and loosened her tensed muscles.
 
“Oh, so sorry, looks my fun here is done.” She turned, “I have things to do, I'll take care of you later. Tah.” Then she jumped. Normally demons would follow, but something about that girl. She had a strange and powerful aura to her, and it only seemed to grow… when the sun rose.
 
“Safe.” Said the young woman, brushing the dirt off of her short light blue kimono. “I was hoping that would last a bit longer, sigh, oh well.” As she walked out of the shadows, the rays of the sun darted down on her silver and black hair, reflecting her black and golden eyes. And Mira had grown into that of her mothers form.
 
“Mira!” She heard her voice being carried on the wind, soft and gentle, but demanding. She knew who it was. It was Kaede
 
Mira sprinted off to the direction of the voice. Passing the meadow and into the forest.
 
She got there in no time at all; Kaede had stood at the edge of the forest, waiting patiently. Time had taken its toll on her. Though she still had some good years on her, it showed that she wouldn't last very long. Mira skid to a halt in front of the elder priestess.
 
“Good morning young one.” She said with gentleness in her voice. “There is something ye must see.” Kaede turned and walked to the village.

Mira bowed, “Good morning. What is it that you want to show me? Have I done something wrong?” Mira lowered her ears in a playful manner.
 
Kaede looked back and smiled at her antics, “Nothing ye have done wrong, but done right. Ye remember the incident a few years back, do ye not?”

Mira flinched. That memory always left anf everlasting mark on her. The night that man Naraku attacked, she almost lost her brother and her life. Had it not been for the aura that protected her, Naraku would have undoubtedly found her.
 
She looked down, “Yes.” Was her only reply.
 
Thing is, she lost a lot that night. She lost the most important thing, not only to her, but the village and her father.
 
She lost her mother. Kagome. Her father had given Kaede the Shikon no Tama after the incident to make sure that it was returned to the rightful owner, when the time be right.
 
“It is time.” Kaede said as she looked at her once more, seeing Mira stretch her limbs. Hearing the bones pop, and a yawn that followed.
 
“Mira, are ye not tired from all the training ye have been given?”

Mira looked up at the elder woman with a sleepy daze, “Huh? Oh, no not really. Its just that sometimes, between priestess training with you and combat practice with my father and brother, it can be a little strenuous. Is all.” She patted the twin blades that sat on the sides of her hips, then looked up at the sky.
 
She stopped when she realized Kaede had done the same at a pair of doors. The wood was ancient with time and rotted on the shrine. As they opened, a staircase opened up to them.
 
Mira was quiet along the way down the steps, feeling the splintering wood against her bare feet, yet not feeling any pain.
 
The rocky walls were decorated every few feet with a bright torch, the flames bright light illuminating the hall. Mira contained her fathers look upon her face, glancing at the walls constantly looking for danger.
 
Further down the hall, another set of doors stood, closed with sacred papers and other ofudas. And in front of it sat a woman wearing a dark blue kimono. Her silver hair matched that of her fathers. She was after all, part of the family.
 
~Flash Back~
 
“Come on Kagome, haven't we wasted enough time waiting on your slow ass?” Inuyasha yelled from across the meadow.
 
“Well I'd be over there by now if I had some help.” Kagome yelled right back, dragging her yellow bag along the ground. Completely over stuffed, more than usual.
 
“You know, the least you can do is help her. I mean it's mainly your ramen and the other shinobi tabemono ( shinobi - ninja, tabemono - food) that's slowing her down.” Sango said as she stood next to him.
 
“Keh, I swear you weak pathetic humans.” Gruff and cruel as usual.

Kagome sighed as he stomped over and grabbed her bag from her hands, and silently walked behind him.
 
Sango shook her head and walked back to stand next to Miroku.
 
“This is going to be one long trip.” She whispered so that only he could hear.
 
“I agree, I don't think I ever saw him act like that toward her. Considering that they had been courted for about a year now.”
 
“Wha'd ya say monk?” Inuyasha gruffed loudly.
 
If Miroku said the wrong thing, his head would roll on the ground, “Nothing, nothing at all.”
 
“Feh.” He snorted and stuck his nose in the air. “Can we get the hell out of here already?”

Sango and Miroku shook their heads and walked in the direction they chose. Kagome, however, stayed in the rear.
 
Sadly enough, without Shippo and Kilala, things were only going to get quiet. They had both decided to stay with Kaede, and Inuyasha… for some reason, has been acting like this.
 
Oh well. Maybe he just wants to travel and get away from the village for a bit. Still, his actions were harsher than they normally would, Kagome could only wonder what was wrong.
 
The early morning air was crisp and cold. The dawn had broken well over an hour ago, and the colors in the sky had blended thoroughly from the red of the morning blaze to the sapphire sky.
 
The whole time they traveled, it was an uncomfortable silence. Inuyasha liked it though, he hated talking a lot. Though, it was getting on Kagome's nerves.
 
“That does it, will some one please say something?” She asked, raising her voice, yet never screaming or yelling.
 
“Urusai (shut up), onnanohito (woman).” Called Inuyasha from over his shoulder.
 
“Why have you been acting like this? This is so unlike you.” Kagome called to his back.
 
At that moment, he stopped and sniffed the air, “What's wrong?” Kagome asked, in a softer tone.
 
He inclined his head in one direction and Kagome followed his gaze, into the dark depths of the forest. Soon enough a small voice was heard from not that far, “Some one help. My mommy's hurt, onegai (please). Nanimonoka (someone), nanpito (anyone)!”
 
It was a little girl with sunset red and orange eyes, silver and brown hair and yeah she even had dog ears on top of her small head. No doubt, this girl was definitely a hanyou, no younger than two or three, and on her blue kimono, was a lining of gray fur. Even so, she was smart for her age.
 
At sight of Inuyasha, she ran over to him, in which, he even knelt down to her.
 
`This is definitely weird.' Kagome thought to herself as he started talking to her, in words that only those two can hear.
 
The conversation was not heard by the humans, even if they were standing so close to him.
 
Soon he stood with the small girl in his arms. Inuyasha looked over at Kagome and passed the kodomo (child) hanyou to her.
 
“Stay with her, and keep her safe, I'll be back as soon as I can.” He said to his mate.
“Wait, what on earth is going on?” She asked him before he took off adjusting the girl in her arms.
 
“Don't worry about it; just stay here till I get back. Got it?”
 
She was about to sit him to hell, but, the sight of the girl's frightened face drew her anger away, “What's wrong, little one?” She asked with a gentle voice.
 
“My mommy's hurt and I went to find daddy so he can to go and save her.” The way the girl said it, well… Kagome wasn't very happy. She made it seem like her father just now went after her. Oh boy was Inuyasha in trouble or what?
 
With the girl still in her arms, Kagome broke into a run in the direction he left in. Ducking branches and rocks that got in her way.
 
Strangely enough, she didn't travel very far, to find Inuyasha helping a woman with black hair and violet eyes.
 
But it wasn't the fact that he helped this woman, it's what happened next, that disturbed her.
 
~With Inuyasha~
 
He ran, knowing that the girl's mother was in trouble. He knew something was wrong, which was why he wanted to get out as soon as possible. To hunt down the demonic danger that lurked near his newly accepted home. To get it away from everyone. The village people, Kaede, Sango, Miroku, Shippo… and Kagome.
 
Man, speaking of, she's going to be really pissed when he got back, `Feh should have told her what was going on.' He thought, `Hang on Hana, I'm coming.'
 
Crossing the forest with ease and cutting down every demon in his path, came to a clearing that a particularly huge demon stood, closing in on something… or someone Inuyasha jumped down from the small cliff. Running over to it and slicing it down the middle with Tetsusaiga. Uncovering the frightened woman, her body was shaking, the scent of tears coming very clear from her, and her face covered by her arms.
 
She was sniffling, which had quickly died down when she realized the demon had not struck. The full moon elucidated a glow on her black raven hair and pale skin.
 
Soon, she lowered her hands to look up at her redeemer. Looking and meeting his eye's, almost the same shade as his own when he was human, though, her shade was more sapphire than his were. Meeting with such surprise, as tough she had seen a ghost, or something even more frightening than the demon that had every intention of killing her.
 
“Impossible,” She breathed slowly, backing up just a bit, till her skin brushed the rough bark of the tree, feeling it through her thin dark blue kimono.
 
“Keh, stand up Hana. Your kid is worried sick about you.” Inuyasha said in a snippy tone, getting annoyed as she just stared at him, the way she did.
 
She breathed in and smiled, “It is you. Inuyasha, you're alive.”
 
Seeing the smile on her face and to see that she was ok, his expression softened. Slipping his sword back into his sheath, and extending the hand to help her up. Hana was more than happy to accept his help.
 
Once on her feet, she stumbled a bit, Inuyasha helped her steady herself, wrapping an arm around her upper back to support her. She looked up at him and smiled, bringing her arms around his neck, and dragging him into a tight embrace.
 
“It's been far too long, Inuyasha. How long has it been since I saw you.” She whispered. Knowing perfectly well that he could hear her hushed tone.
 
“Too long if ya ask me.” He whispered back, returning her embrace, no problem, and no hesitation, only pulling her closer, as if he finally found someone he thought he lost long ago.
 
From the forest not far behind them, Kagome hid, just like she would when it had been Kikyo in his arms, her heart breaking, thinking that the child in her arms may be his. The small child still in her arms squirmed out of her embrace and ran to the clearing.
 
“Mamma, you're ok, mamma, mamma.” She said as she ran to her mother with open arms.
 
Inuyasha released the woman, and looked down at the girl, smiling and scooping her up, and passing her to Hana.
 
“Mamma you are ok. I knew you would be,” Tears ran down the kodomo's face, nuzzling her mothers face as Hana squeezed the child.
 
“You're safe, right Aiji (beloved child)?” Hana asked as she tightened her grip.
 
“Hai mommy, that nice shoujo (lady) up there was with me.” Aiji pointed to the cliff where Kagome now stood. Her hand on a branch, looking down at them, thinking what a good looking family they looked.
 
At sight of Kagome, Inuyasha's smile grew even more. She climbed down with little struggle, up until her foot slipped on a lose rock.
 
“Ah!” She screamed, but soon felt a pair of strong familiar arms around her waist. The minute he saw her slip, Inuyasha ran over to her and grabbed her before she did any damage to her self.
 
“You ok?” He asked.
 
“Why do you care?” Tears were in her eyes. Inuyasha flinched at her words; they were harsh in his ears.
 
“What's gotten into you Kagome?” He asked in a quiet tone, not really sure what he's done to make her this upset.
 
“Go with your precious family and leave me alone Inuyasha.” She said with sadness and anger in her voice.
 
Inuyasha could have sworn his jaw dropped to the ground, stifling a laugh, he tried to hold back. Looking back at Hana, She looked like she was going to be sick, “Sorry, as much as I love you, there is no way in hell that will ever happen.” She said, shaking her head in disgust.
 
“Ka.. he… Kagome? He he… you… actually thought… he he… oh that's funny.” He couldn't hold back and burst into laughter. Holding his gut, and pain rising in that area.
 
“And what is so funny, huh Inuyasha? Enlighten me would you?” Kagome asked, hands on her hips, and her lower lip curling into a pout.
 
“I don't believe you'd think that she was my… Oh god. She already has a fuufu (husband) and trust me, it ain't me.” He said as he wiped the tears that fell from his laughter.
 
“You actually though he was my mate? Oh, dear Kami. Oh, Kagome, right? Oh, goodness, Inuyasha is my Ani (older brother, only used when speaking to someone else).” Hana said, carrying her daughter over to them and setting her on the ground.
 
Kagome looked at them with surprised eyes, “He's your… brother?”
 
“Yes he is.” She said with a smile. “My husband was here a bit ago, but left shortly before the demon attacked.”

”You're still with Kyo? Ha the poor guy.” Inuyasha said.
 
“How'd you figure it was him?” Hana asked.
 
“Man you had a crush on him since day one. Not only that, he's the only wolf I actually liked. And the smell of wolf is very clear on you.”

”Oh, so in other words, he's kinda like how you are with your mate, huh? And so what if he's a wolf hanyou? You havin' problems with one?” She said with a hint of sarcasm.
 
“Ya think?” He said with the same amount of playful banter in his voice.
 
Kagome's attention was caught. This conversation was shocking to her. She never thought she'd see the day that Inuyasha would actually enjoy being with his own family, or maybe that was just with Sesshomaru. Let alone, that she never even knew that he had a sister.
 
Well, she didn't know about Sesshomaru until she met him, so this situation was no different. But she was different, she was human, yet she lived this long to claim to be family? How could that be?
 
Inuyasha looked over at his mate, feeling better than he had earlier, and smiled. Wrapping an arm around her waist, and nuzzled her neck, gently kissing his mark that showed clearly on the junction of her neck and shoulder. As if he weren't ashamed to show that she was his.
 
Kagome sighed in his arms, loving to be there, instead of watching someone else there. But thousands of questions rolled in her mind, like tidal waves on the shores of the sandy beaches.
 
“Wait, how can he be your brother, I thought you were human?” Kagome asked.
 
“I am for the time being, until the sun rises and the night of the full moon is over. You should know this, if his is on the new moon. Right?” Was Hana's reply.
 
Oh boy, did Kagome feel stupid right now, she should have known that if they were related, she too, would have a human night.
 
 
“Hana and I share the same relation that Sesshomaru and I share.” Inuyasha said over her shoulder.
 
“You mean she's your half sister?” Kagome asked, trying to confirm every thing she heard so far.
 
“That's correct. Though unlike my brothers, I was never planned. I was born of dishonor and unexpectancy.” Hana sat down on the ground and watched her daughter play with a butterfly that flew over head to the flowers that rested on the cool grassy ground.
 
Kagome nodded in understandment. “How much older are you, anyway?” She asked as she looked up at her mate.
 
Inuyasha looked up at the sky for a moment before dropping his gaze down to Hana, as if he tried to think about it, and went to her for the answer.
 
“About three moons.” Hana said, answering Kagome's question. They were only three months apart? That's probably why they were so close. Or at least one of the reasons.
 
“How come we never met till now? I mean I understand the relationship between the boys, but you seem closer to Inuyasha than he is with Sesshomaru.”

”We are closer than that. The problem is that we were separated a few years after Izayoi's death. And we were… what? Age five or six when she died, and about fifteen or sixteen when we parted?” Hana took her sight off of her daughter for a minute and looked at the couple above her.
 
“It was strange enough to grow without your real mother, but after Izayoi's death, it felt as though I lost two.”

”My mother took her in with out any problem; Mother loved her just as much as she did me.” Inuyasha said.
 
“She took me in even after knowing who my father was. She didn't care; she still loved me like I was her own kid.”
 
Kagome had no idea that Inuyasha had lost a lot more than he had told her. She never knew that he left Hana behind in the dangerous world as children, Hana sighed and continued, “War broke out and somehow we got separated. We've been apart ever since. And that was almost 185 years ago.”

Another nod came from Kagome's head, as she switched between looking at the woman on the ground, to the child playing in the grass.
 
~End Flash Back~