InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Not Knowing ❯ Receiving and Protecting ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: Receiving and Protecting

Hana looked up at her niece and smiled, “Good morning Mira. Goodness you grow more and more beautiful every time I see you. How are your father and brother?”

Mira was a little tired and did not react to her question, “Their doing fine, Aunt Hana. And what of uncle Kyo and cousin Aiji?” She said with a smile.
 
“Quite well, dear. My, my, my, you seem to look more like your mother too. Might want to be careful. There are still a lot of humans and demons that will come to kill you just because you look like her. Imagine the trouble you would get into if they found out both of your parents.”

Hana always warned her about the hardships her family and friends of the family had to suffer. The enemies they mad and the friends they kept in close contact over the years.
 
Hana stood up and stretched her tired limbs; she had been sitting like this all night and thought it was time for a small break. She moved from her spot and nodded to Kaede. Letting her know that it was ok to go inside, and get business done, and over with.
 
Mira could sense a strong presence on the other side of the door. And she remembered what it belonged to.
 
“Are ye ready for this, child?” Kaede asked her. Mira's sturdy stare on the wall caused her to open them, taking off only the main ofuda, leaving the rest on.
 
“Good luck,” Mira heard her aunt say.
 
There it was. In the center of the room, on a high pedestal, shining as bright as ever, the sacred jewel sat. Mira's heart was pounding hard in her ears. Deep steady breaths were taken as she walked across the room with the elder priestess.
 
She could remember why it was here. That memory she hated most. Scary thing is that every demon and human would want it, and it had been held here. Kept with secrecy and heavy guarding.
 
Kaede walked over to it and picked it off the pedestal, as if it were a fresh berry on a vine. Sending it a silent prayer, before walking back over to the young hanyou, and passing it to her, “Your mother was a great priestess, as will ye, when the day comes.”

Mira looked at the purple, white and blue swirl within the pearl in the middle of her hand as the elder priestess set it in her hands. Entranced at the beauty it held. She remembered seeing it easily, but she didn't care for the beauty back then. Now looking at it through more mature eyes, she longed to keep it that way.
 
“Ye father will be proud of ye when he hears that ye are strong enough to handle it now.” Kaede said.
 
Mira was more awake now and the minute she said father, all the color drained from her face.
 
“Oh, damn. What time is it?” Mira asked out loud, looking back at the way she came in , and seeing the light poor down the stair way like molten gold, “Dad's gonna kill me. I'm late!” She yelled as she broke into a run. Leaving Kaede by the pedestal where she was, and her aunt, by the door, “Sorry gotta run Kaede Baachan. Bye Aunt Hana.”
 
Hana smiled and waved to her niece. Kaede smiled, knowing Inuyasha would be mad but would get over it in a second. What a softy he became.
 
~ In a small hut (After sunrise) ~
 
A small fire was lit in the room, lighting some of the room with the dieing embers of the pathetic excuse.
 
Two men sat around it, one out cold and the other staring deeply into the fire pit. Waiting patiently and quietly.
 
“She's late.” Inuyasha grumbled under his breath when he felt the rays of the warm sun on his cold back.
 
Shippo yawned and sat up, “She's still young, she'll be here, just give her some time.”

”Feh, your stickin up for your little sister, aww, how sweet.” Inuyasha said with mockery in his voice.
 
“Feh,” Shippo said, capturing his foster father's attitude so easily.
 
Inuyasha stood up and headed out the door, stepping out into the spring breeze, looking upon the lake and stream that fed from it. The sweet smell of the wild flowers that grew around the field was beautiful, especially on a particular day like this. With the sun shining on them and capturing the dew drops on them, making them sparkle. Kagome loved it here, one of the reasons he built the hut here.
 
Time flew slowly, and at least an hour passed sunrise. He could pick up Mira's scent; hear the race of her heart beat wildly, telling him that she was running to get here.
 
“I'm here!” She screamed the minute she stepped out into the clearing. And whether it was a rock ore her own two feet, she tripped and landed face first into the dirt. (A klutz like her mother)
 
She mumbled into the moist ground, damning the thing she fell over. Mira popped her head up, her face and silky bangs covered with dirt splotches. She spit out the rank undergo essence from her mouth. Looking up to see that yeah her dad was laughing at her, “Its not funny.” The look she gave him was the exact same look Inuyasha would give Kagome when she tried to convince him to take her home, just to take another one of those damned cursed tests of hers.
 
He tried to walk over to her with out stumbling, due to the lack of balance from the laughter, “Well, I wouldn't be laughin' if you weren't such a klutz.” He said as he extended a hand to help her up. She stared at it for just a moment, growled at it, but accepted his offer.
 
As she stood she walked passed him, and wiped the dirt off of her kimono, “Now, do you mind explaining to me why the hell you were late, better yet, what the hell you were up to so early this morning?” Inuyasha asked the hanyou girl in front of him.
 
She stopped and sweat dropped. Scratching the back f her head, and chuckled as she turned to look at him, “Ehe he, I was just playing. That's all, nothing more Otousan (Father).”
 
Inuyasha walked up and passed her, leaning over her to look at her in the eye, “Something tells me you were doing more than just `playin' kid, now what were you up to?”

Mira walked past him, and looked up at the sky, twiddling her fingers behind her back, “Mira?” He said again, emphasizing his anger a little bit in her name.
 
She turned to face him and smiled. Not her smile, but one that brought heartbreak. That wasn't her smile, but that of her mothers. I mean he loved to see her happy, but she never smiled like that before. He just stared at her, and said nothing more>

Mira noticed the distant look on her fathers face, “Dad? Is something wrong?” She asked softly.
 
Inuyasha snapped out of his daze and said, “No, its noting, ok? Just go to the hot spring and get ready for training, got it?” His words were not hurtful, just rash. Something he was not very often with her. Mira didn't miss the fact that he lowered his ears as she watched him walk away.
 
~With Inuyasha~
 
Inuyasha walked down a clear pathway through the forest. Small bit of sunlight escaping through the leaves in the trees above him.
 
Greeting only a few people on his way. Soon enough, he came to a shrine, small, but well respected.

Flowers and incenses decorated the patch of dirt. Here lies the towns beloved priestess, and Inuyasha's mate, Kagome.
 
A mother, a loving friend, wife, and strong priestess, the villagers were proud to have her with them.
 
Inuyasha walked up to the grave and kneeled down, “Sorry I haven't been able to visit lately. But it gets harder to keep an eye on Mira. She gets into such trouble all the time, I'm kind of scared to ask what she did this morning, heh.”

His eyes darkened a bit, remembering the past, remembering her.
 
“You'd still be here, had I been there to save you. Its my fault you're dead. But I promise to protect Mira. And one day, I'll find out how to bring you back. One day, I promise.” He said as he stood and walked away. Jumping into the trees and perambulated the area.
 
~Back with Mira~
 
`He must be thinking of mamma.' Even Mira's ears dropped, as did her eyes, as they rested on the ground under her feet. An occasional breeze passed through, lifting her silvery black hair, catching a few glints in the sunlight and brushing against her face.
 
She really wasn't focusing on her surrounding as she should have been doing, and missed the scent that came up behind her. The male behind her would have done something to her had it not been for, “Imoutosan (Younger sister)!”

The voice that snuck up behind her, causing her to nearly jump out of her skin. She knew that voice any where, “Ohhh, no. I am in no mood t mess with you right now... huh?” The minute she turned around, she didn't see hide nor hair of the male voice she had heard just a minute ago. But her own reflection.
 
Her fists balled at her side and a vein popped on her forehead, “Damn you. You know that's not funny I …. Am I really that cute?” Her anger burned off when the mirrored person started turning her body, slowly. Mira started her own movements and the alter ego followed.
 
Ok, now she was getting pissed, feeling like the girl in front of her was mocking her. The look-alike saw the anger rise in her eye's and said, with Mira's voice, “Sorry sis, you're just so much fun to mess with.” And with that, a pop sound came up with a cloud of smoke.
 
Mira coughed as soon as the stench hit her sensitive nose. As the smoke cleared, Mira's sense of smell slowly returned, “Damn it Shippo, why ya gotta do that for, huh?” Mira complained, putting her hands on her hips, as she stared at the fox demon.
 
Shippo completely over towered her. Still the same as ever, but taller, his eyes greener, and three tails sprouting from his back end. “Why not go bug Rin, or something?” She pouted.
 
He chuckled, “Just like mom.” Stroking her hair through his sharpened claws, and she smiled, then frowned, “People have been sayin' that all day, and dad had that look in his face. Like he was upset, or something.” She stared at the ground now, as if she believed it were her fault things were like that.
 
“Well, I don't blame him. I mean he loved her to no end,” He flinched, “And she was taken from him, from us. And you do look a lot like her; he just doesn't want to lose you. Please try to understand his reasoning, ok?”
 
Mira looked up at her Oniisan (older brother), her eyes were bright and full of emotion, no wonder she was mistaken for their mother a lot this year.
 
“Ok enough with the pouty face, head over to the hot spring and clean off. If I'm gonna have to fight you, I don't wanna pass out from you.” He joked.
 
“Feh, like you smell any better, eh fox boy?” Her actions didn't surprise him, she turned her heel and walked off to the springs.
 
“She has some of father's traits in her, too. This ought to be interesting.” Shippo said with a smirk, then looked off to the direction their father walked off to, `He'll be fine. He just need's to be alone.'