InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Not Knowing ❯ Problem with Past Faces ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: Problem with Past faces
 
Shippo sat on the shore near the lake, enjoying the feeling of the cool water on his feet. Staring at the crystal clear water, as the late afternoon sun shined on it. The whole afternoon was so nice, all because Mira wasn't there to bug him, like she always did.
 
In the short distance, he could pick up her scent, coming closer. Shippo knew how close she was, up until she was no less than a few feet away.
 
Then, she jumped, hopping to pin her brother to the ground, but… ended up face first in the fresh mud. A bubble came up out of the liquid, “You are so like dad, planning a sneak attack when your enemy is down. Feh.” He said, a hand on the back of her head keeping it in the mud, but not to hard as to drown her. But considering the lung capacity she had, she'll be fine. And the other hand on her wrist that was twisted behind her. He released her head, and it popped up. Spitting the dirt out of her mouth.
 
“No fair!” She said as she kicked her legs, trying to get him off of her, as he straddled her waist to make sure she couldn't get up.
 
Finally letting go, and jumping to a distance that she couldn't attack him, “Your one to talk, coming up on your enemy when you think he doesn't know you're there. Baka.”

She readied herself for the next strike, “Ok, then. You know I'm here. Lets get to training. I'm itchin' for a good fight.” She said as she reached behind her back.
 
“Don't even think about it.” Shippo [pointed to her as her hand went into the pocket that sat on her obi on her back.
 
“What?” She asked with innocence in her voice.
 
“You know well what. Now had them over.” He said, holding out his hand.
 
“Damn, you're no fun.” She pouted as she handed him the daggers in the bag.
 
He eyed the blades on her hips, “Those too, little sis.”

She scrunched her gaze at him and growled lowly at him, and untied the blades from her obi as well, and handed them over to him.
 
Shippo then bounded to the other side of the lake, and set them gently on the shore, returning moments later and threw an attack at her with his fist. Catching her off guard.
 
Quickly recovering, she hit back with the same amount of force, practically clawing at his gut, yet being careful in not bringing her brother any harm.
 
Cuts and bruises appeared on both of their fleshes. This was going to be a long and painful day.
 
~Later that day~

”Ok… ow… how bout… we call it a day… ow?” Shippo asked as they both fell to the ground in exhaustion. Rasping out for breath. The bruises making it hard to breathe, sending a wave of pain in their rib cages with every in take of breath.
 
“Yeah, sounds like a good idea.” Mira replied, heaving for breath.
 
“You gonna stay out here?” Shippo asked as he stood up carefully and looked down at her.
 
“Yeah, just for a bit longer, I won't be long, save me some dinner. Ok?” She said with a smile.
 
“Well if you're going to stay out here, then at least take you concealment stone.” He said as he dangled a single sapphire dew drop shaped stone necklace in front of her.
 
“I hate it, and I was just human this morning. Why the hell would I want to be human, if it's not my human night?” She growled as she swiped the stone from his hand.
 
“You know there are demons out there that still want to kill our parents. Remember that.” He said as he walked back to the hut, limping slightly. Mira watched him leave.
 
 
She leaned back down on the soft late night grass, and watched the fireflies dance above her. She raised her hand and let it dance with them slowly. She watched them forma circle around her wrist, forming a bracelet. Mira giggled, and sat up. They buzzed around her. Playing in her hair. She watched them dance and skip along the water, their reflection in the water caused it to glow. She sighed and laughed again.
 
A song formed in her mind, a song she remembered her parents singing to her to sleep at night when she was little,
 
`In the darkness the dragon wakes.
To a cold heart the dragon takes.
You at my side the dragon sleeps.
On dragon wings, your dreams will leap.'
 
(A/N: I don't know any lullabies, and I remember this song from Escaflowne, and totally loved it.)
 
She sighed again and looked back at her left hand, still holding the stone Shippo had given her earlier. She growled and slipped the stone on. Always hating the feeling when she transformed to her human self. Her ears moving from the top of her head to the sides, felt like bugs crawling under her skin.

Her canines shrunk though were not painful, just uncomfortable, and nor were her claws. She had to where the stone sometimes. She was the one the demons would come after to kill.
 
She looked around, not seeing as well, as she had a moment ago. Everything was fuzzy. The only thing she saw was the light of the moon shimmering on the water, and little balls of light floating in the air.
 
Suddenly they started scurrying and going crazy, `What the?'
 
She stood up, feeling a slight pain in her side, `Op, got up to fast. Ow.” She breathed.
 
Then, right then, she felt the wind pick up. At the edge of the forest, a whirlwind crashed through, sending rocks, dirt and twigs her way. Scrapping her arms and legs and face.
 
Suddenly she was picked up, causing her to scream. Someone had picked her up and was now nuzzling her cheek. She deemed that who ever it was, was a male.
 
“Oh, Kagome, my dear sweet Kagome. You have finally returned back to me. I knew you'd leave mutt face sooner or later.” He said.
 
Mira was so confused and scared, “Uhhmm, can I help you?” She managed to say.
 
“Oh, Kagome. I'm heartbroken. Really I am.” He pulled back and she glimpsed at his face. Jet black hair tied at the top of his head, cold steel blue eyes and the smell of wolves. his legs, waist, shoulder, and forehead were covered with brown fur.
 
Oh, Mira had heard about this man.
 
`Koga,' if memory comes to serve, `Ah man. What rotten luck.' She thought.
 
Koga gasped and dropped her, all not to gently.
 
“Ow. What the hells your de…” Her voice was cut off. Koga had clamped his hand around her throat and squeezed.
 
“Who the hell are you? You're not Kagome. What have you done with my Kagome, you damn demon.” He looked down at the girl he was determined to kill.
 
When he saw the Shikon jewel, his anger rose, “DAMN YOU!!! YOU KILLED HER!!! I'LL KILL YOU!!!”
 
Mira froze at his words, his grasp tightening. Sure, she was the daughter of the fearless hanyou and the powerful miko, but she was after all… a child. She was terrified, she was going to die. Eventually enough, she felt his claws dig in even more. Mira could feel blood rushing down her neck. She couldn't breath, and now she was starting to feel light headed.
 
The Shikon jewel rolled off to the side throughout the struggle. Dangling from the side of her neck, left completely forgotten.
 
`Don't worry Kagome, I'll avenge you.' Was the only thought running through Koga's simpleminded head.
 
He was ready to send the finally strike. His hand was less than two inches from her heart, when he stopped. Another scent had appeared, Koga looked over and saw who it belonged to.
 
~In the Hut~

Shippo lifted the reed mat to the hut and plopped down next to the smoldering fire, with the meat cooking over it. He pulled off a piece and ate it slowly. Looking over to his foster father, seeming to be sleeping.
 
Inuyasha cracked open an eye, and allowed them to roam over Shippo's arms and uncovered body, proud that his daughter had done that. He had watched them for a few short moments, seeing how her movements had become more fluid like over the years.
 
She got better at hand to hand, and he was swollen with pride. “It's sad to see that you got your ass handed down by a little girl” He said, closing his eyes.
 
“She's your daughter, and just like you she cheats.” Shippo said as he finished his food and lay down on the ground.
 
Inuyasha listened to everything outside, hearing his daughter giggle with happiness.
 
Hearing an occasional sigh of relief. She sang the lullaby quietly that he and Kagome used to sing to her when she was just a baby.
 
A hiss of pain, drew his attention more towards the door. But what got his full attention was the gasping for breath and the scent of blood.
 
The moment the metallic aroma hit his nose, he jumped up and ran outside. His rage grew when he saw, Koga with his hand on Mira's throat, the determination to kill very present in his eye's. When he saw Koga reach down, he thought he was going for the jewel.
 
The gleam from the side of his daughters neck, proved him wrong. Koga didn't want the jewel, he wanted her life. His question was… why?
 
Inuyasha watched as Koga's hand prepared to strike her neck, but stopped to look his way.
 
“Well, well, well. If it isn't mutt face. What the hell are you doing here?” Koga said, his grip tightening on Mira.
 
Her eyes widened with pain, her teeth clenched, and she cried out. Inuyasha flinched and stepped toward them, “Koga, let her go. She hasn't done anything to you to deserve this.”

”Are you kidding dog breath? This… demon killed Kagome. And I'm going to avenge her.” More blood flowed from Mira's neck. She tried to reach for her stone that locked her demonic power, `If I can just remove it, I'll have the power to get him off of me.' She thought.
 
Though, Mira couldn't reach it. Her sight was getting blurry by the second.
 
“Ca… can't… bre… breath. Da… damnit.” Mira chocked.
 
“Why do you protect this worthless little wench?” Koga's rage was growing even more, and his claws sinking farther and farther into her neck.
 
Inuyasha took another step, “I have my reasons for protecting this child. Now I swear, if you don't let her go, I'll kill you”
 
At that, Koga laughed and released the grasp on Mira's neck, blood pooling and gushing from it into a puddle on the grass. Mira just rested there as she tried to regain her breath, Koga's attention was no longer on her, but her father, “And what makes you think you can kill me? You don't have your stupid sword with you.”

”And I've told you before; I don't need Tetsusaiga to kill the likes of you.” His fists clutch at his sides and walked right by Koga, keeping his eyes locked on his, as he rushed over to assist Mira. She stood to her knees and held on to his haori as he kneeled down, as he inspected the wound. Reaching into the folds of his robe, he pulled out a piece of cloth and wiped her neck. Koga was surprised to see the care he gave the wretch.
 
Inuyasha eventually tied the cloth around the wound to prevent further bleeding, and helped her stand all the way. She still clutched behind him. Inuyasha gazed from the blood on Koga's hand, to the puddle on the ground where Mira once lay to her own neck. The blood coming through staining the white rag. Consider Koga dead if he ever laid his claws in his neck, like he did her.
 
Protected from the threat in front. She wasn't seen by Koga's vicious gaze, and she removed the seal. Feeling the demonic power surge through her veins, restoring her blood loss.
 
`Much better.” She thought as she felt the punctures on her gorge start to heal.
 
“I can't believe you replaced Kagome. My god even that dead woman would be a better than that weakling.” He said, “You didn't deserve her. You left her to die and then you go off and find this abomination.”

Mira flinched and ran up to the wolf, “How dare you? He never abandoned her. If you're gonna blame any one for her death blame Naraku. You got it ya stupid, smelly, scrawny flea bag?” The fear she felt earlier was all forgotten. No one mocks her family and gets away with it.
 
Oh the insults, complete pride swelled in Inuyasha's chest.
 
“Hey wait, weren't you human a minute ago?” He blinked at her, seeing the silver streaks and black tipped dog ears.
 
“That don't matter.” She practically yelled at him, pocking his ribs.
 
“Peh, and how do you know of Naraku?” Koga glared at her, still having half a mind to kill her. But with Inuyasha around it may prove to be difficult.
 
“My father told me stories. Go a problem with that?” Mira put her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes, daring him to ask another question.
 
Which he did, “So where is your dad at huh? I'll kill him to.” Koga's eyes skimmed the meadow.
 
Mira's eyes twitched, `You've got to be kidding. I look so much like my dad now, and he still doesn't see it. Oh, god he is as stupid as he looks.'
 
“Don't matter, if you claim to be as strong as you are, I wouldn't be here. Right?” She looked over her shoulder as the last word came out of her mouth.
 
And as if something clicked in his mind, Koga stared wide eyed, “Oh, god. You're her father? That's disturbing, who's the unlucky bride?” He asked.
“Mother's dead, why should it matter what her name was to you?” Mira's own anger rose, folding her arms across her chest, bringing one hand up to clutch the sacred jewel, and continued, “But if you must know, my mother was Kagome.”

Ha, now Koga understood, and looked over Mira's shoulder to look at Inuyasha. The man that had taken over Kagome's heart.