InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Not Knowing ❯ Stories of my Parents Past ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11: Stories of my Parents Past
 
Mira woke up with a jolt, and a pain in her side and head.
 
`Oh, damn it all to hell.' Mira thought.
 
“So you are awake,” a voice came in from her left.
 
Mira looked over to the door where Saya had stood; no longer wearing the taijiya clothing she was in earlier. Instead, she was wearing a kimono similar to her mother's only a green had replaced the two tones of pink, “What didn't have enough before? Or did you want my head on a silver platter?”
 
“Listen, I guess I should apologize for that. My mother made me stop so you should be grateful you are still alive now.”

”Man, who the hell are you to say that, had you not hit me with you sword, which something tells me you dipped in poison, I'd be just fine.” Mira hissed.

Saya narrowed her gaze to the stubborn hanyou, her wounds were bandaged and her kimono was washed and was hanging outside to dry. She crossed her arms over her chest, and shook her head, “Sorry bout the poison, we were only protecting our home. As you can see, we're on the verge of rebuilding everything, and as such, the demons find it easy to attack.” She said.
 
Mira looked around the small hut, it was in good shape. Cabinets hung on the wall, and a closet stood in the corner. In the middle of the room a fire pit sat, a fire inside a warm healthy glow coming from its center. Mira stood on the higher level in the room.
 
Mira unconsciously reached for the jewel, to make sure it was still there, it was. And she released a sigh of relief, and closed her eyes, her anger demolishing just a bit.
 
“So this is the demon slayer village.” Mira breathed.
 
“The very same.” Saya said, going over to the pot that hung from on top of the fire. Scooping up some of the food inside the black cauldron, and slipping it into a bowl, before passing it over to Mira. Hesitating to take it from her hands, but reluctantly seized it slowly.
 
“Its safe to eat, don't worry.”
 
Mira looked at Saya, her voice softer and calmer than it had been earlier. Speaking of, “How long have I been asleep?” Mira asked.
 
“At least two days.” Saya said as she sat down on the futon Mira sat on. She just looked at the young taijiya in wonder. Her father had told her of the woman, but this definitely wasn't her.
 
Mira looked down at the bowl and ate the large chunks of meat, and slurped the liquid quietly. Feeling much better once she finished, she passed the bowl back to Saya and went out side.
 
“Two days, huh. Wonder how things are going back home.” She said to no one in particular, but someone did hear. His ears not meant to have heard anything, “You run away from home?”

The monk that had brought her in earlier, Miroku.

”What's it to you, huh Monk? It ain't any of your concern.” Mira scoffed. Miroku couldn't help but laugh, “You remind mw of a friend of mine. He kept his feelings to himself, and would say the same things himself.”

Mira looked at him with fascinated eyes.
 
“Sadly enough, I have not seen him in years. But I know he is doing well.” He said, and looked at the girls bandages that covered her chest.
 
Mira followed his gaze, “A perverted monk, now that's original. You do anything and I'll make sure that you completely regret it, got it?” She said harshly, cracking her claws, and emphasizing her point.
 
Miroku's eyes snapped up and met her's, those deep shades of amber that were full of anger and seriousness.
 
“You misunderstand; I am simply concerned about the abrasion. Nothing more, I give my word to you. I have learned my ways in the past.” He said as he put up his right hand as he vowed. The prayer beads catching her attention, realizing that this was the monk her father spoke of, the one that married the demon slayer.
 
“Is our guest awake, Miroku?” A voice rang from the other side of the reed mat that hung in the door way.
 
“Yes she is my dear, and she seems to have healed nicely.” He called.
 
The woman that had stopped the fight earlier stepped into the room, the green skirt was removed, and the smell of clean fresh water was very present on her, “I am glad to see that you have come to a full recovery.” She said with a smile.
 
“Sango, she is a half demon after all,”

”What the hell does being a half demon have to do with anything?” Mira called, feeling insulted by the word `half demon'.
 
“Why, I am so misunderstood, I meant nothing wrong by it. In fact, one of my closest friends is one as well.” Miroku said, feeling her hurt in her voice from the word, but it seems that her anger bubbled down a bit, but had not fully evaporated.
 
Sango came and sat next to the girl, totally confused by this family, “Why the hell should I trust you? If you are as good as my father says you are, you can kill me at any minute you choose. How do I know you won't try anything?”
 
“Please, I know how hard it can be for a hanyou to grow up, but understand that you can trust me.” The demon slayer said as she spoke softly.
 
This was a weird family indeed.
 
~~
 
Later that day, Mira had tried to get up and had succeeded with little to no pain now, though she had to take it easy. Helping with dinner, the least she could do for them, for saving her life just a few days past.
 
Though the one thing that was hard for her to keep concentrated was the graveyard soil she smelt outside. So she constantly looked to the reed mat that was covering the door. A gentle breeze coming through every occasional while and bringing in the scent of death with it.
 
It always made her feel sick, “Those are the graves of my family.” Sango said, having watching the hanyou girl look to the door. As if she knew what she was thinking about.
 
Mira gazed up at the elder female, “My family, other than my brother and this you see here, is all but dead.” Mira could tell that this was hard for her to say, but she let her continue.
 
“My fellow demon slayers and my self were called off to a castle far from here, and while we were there, our home, here, were destroyed by hordes of demons. The prince at the castle had a ward that had told me a hanyou had done it. So I set out to kill him, but after I found out that he was not the one who had done it, we became good friends.”

”Speaking of, I wonder how the idiot is doing with Kagome.” Miroku said as he waited for his wife to finish.
 
Mira had been twirling the chain of the Shikon jewel, between her fingers, but when she heard her mother's name, she looked over to the monk, with surprised eyes. Miroku noticed this, “Who, did you say your parents were, Mira?”

Mira said nothing, just continued to stare. Sango saw that her finger had gotten tangled with in the silver chain of her necklace. So when she reached over to untangle it, and saw that the girl was still in a dazed look, she pulled the clawed hand and the sacred jewel slipped out from the top of her kimono.
 
 
“What's it to you, for who my mother was? It ain't any of your business, you damned monk.” She yelled as she yanked her hand away from the female taijiya and ran outside. She ran, unknowing that her wound had reopened. It had failed, yet again to fully recover and had started bleeding again. Until she saw Saya and Honou at the border of the gates, did she stop, “I don't have time for this, let me pass.” She said gruffly, with every intention.
 
“Your wounds have not healed yet.” Honou said as he noticed that her stance had started to falter.
 
He was right, her sight was becoming blurry and the pain in her side only increased.
 
Saya grabbed one arm and helped her back inside. Loosing all strength to fight back, quickly.
 
“Mother?” Saya said in a questioning voice.
 
Sango looked at the wound that had reopened and rebandaged it. Forcing her husband and son to look the other way while doing so, “Gomen.” Mira said softly.
 
If this family had any intention to take the jewel, it had better be done over her dead body, but Mira had the feeling that the family that currently helping was going to take no such risk, so she answered the monk's question, “My mother's name was Kagome.” Was all she said.
 
“Kagome… was… your mother?” Sango had asked.
 
Mira looked down, “My mother is dead.” She said flatly, matching the attitude and tone of her uncle.
 
Sango's eyes welled up with tears, hearing that her best friend was dead, for how long, she was not sure of, “She died when I was still just a pup. Dad and my brother have been watching over me.”

But at that, Miroku snapped his fingers, coming to a realization, “I knew I recognized that attitude of yours.” He said. Her manner was identical to her fathers, if not worse.
 
Sango broke into tears, and Miroku did what he could to calm her. He would admit that Kagome had been a close friend to his as well, but for the woman in his arms… she was a sister to Sango, and as such, had more effect to her.
 
Saya and Honou had heard the story from out side and had come in.
 
Mira looked at them, “I need to go to the cave of Midoriko and was told I could find it here, she is the only one who could answer my questions.” She said.
 
“We will take you as soon as possible.” Sango said, sadness still laced with every word.
 
~~

Sango could remember the travels she had with Inuyasha and Kagome, and had always thanked them for bringing her together with Miroku.
 
She could also remember the day when Kagome told her that she was courted with the said hanyou.
 
~Flash back~
 
The night was quiet and the search of the shards of the Shikon no tama was set to rest for the night. All taking a breather from the hot spring day. The group had found a nice cool area to call camp for the night and was busy preparing for the hours of darkness ahead of them.
 
Kagome had started the fire, in which Miroku and Inuyasha would bring the food and cook, while Sango would take care of the scraps and dispose of anything unneeded, and Shippo would put out the fire and snuggle up with his foster mother.
 
Tonight, how ever, was slow. The rain had started to pour and only got worse, dousing the fire that they had worked so hard to make, and the animals that Inuyasha claimed to have cornered, seemed to have slipped by him, allowing him to slip and fall in the mud, face first.

Both men coming back covered in dirt, Miroku undoubtedly made fun of Inuyasha. Laughing at him for falling, no grace he said. So the next best thing was to push Miroku in the deepest puddle he found. Well, that wasn't really a problem the problem was finding the way back, having the rain completely erasing their path, man oh man, was Inuyasha lost.
 
Kagome and Sango actually had to gather everything they have unpacked and set on the blanket. Completely drenched with water, all of Kagome's textbooks were practically ruined, but salvageable within some time.
 
Thanking the Kami they weren't far from a cave, they grabbed what they could and ran that way.
 
Most of every thing was saved, except for the extra clothes Kagome had brought for such a day like this.
 
The cave was dark and damp, but it was dry and it would have to do till the rain let up. Kagome was only hoping that it wouldn't end up becoming worse than it is.
 
Sango looked around, the uninhabited area led far back, and it seemed that no one has been here for years. Grabbing Kagome's flashlight from her bag, she went to explore, “Sango, please be careful.” Kagome had called after her.
 
“I will, don't worry.” She replied.
 
“I would worry less if one of the guys went with you.” The area they were in was hard to decipher if it was safe, and with out the sense of smell like Inuyasha, it could be dangerous.
 
By the time Sango had disappeared into the darkness, and even the light had vanished, Inuyasha and Miroku, had stepped into the cave, completely drenched. A couple of scrapes covered their faces and clothing. First thing Kagome did was reach into her bag and grabbed the first aid kit. Inuyasha stepped past Miroku. Noting that the fire that the girls had made with what little wood they had, would make do to dry their clothes. Though, for the girls they would have to wear theirs for some time. Seeing that all of Kagome's clothes were soaked, as were every thing else in her bag. Well, everything that didn't have a protective cover on it.
 
Inuyasha removed his haori and kosode and hung them over the fire to dry, thinking of giving it to the girl behind him while her's dried. Kagome had already set the blankets by the fire as well, for all of them to share once it had fully dehydrated. Inuyasha took his spot in front of Kagome, not in any mood to argue with her tonight, due to the rain.
 
He wasn't the only one that was tired. Shippo and Kilala had already fallen asleep by the fire, Miroku had his eyes shut as he too sat close. Sango would be returning any minute, as well.
 
Kagome got to work on the small scrapes on his back that the branches and what ever he was going through managed to hit. They were shallow wounds, but, Kagome loved to adore his skin, and even Inuyasha loved the attention she gave him. A smile forming on his now softened features, relaxing ever so slightly into her touch.
 
Kagome smiled as she felt him do so. Leaning back slowly onto her shoulder. He nuzzled her neck as she rubbed his ears, which she knew would put him easily to sleep.
 
“Miroku, could you pass me that blanket over there, please, I think it should be dry enough by now.” She had asked softly. Inuyasha stood up and adjusted himself so he was up against the wall.
 
Miroku passed her the blanket she had asked for and Kagome carried it over to the said hanyou leaning on the wall, waiting for her. As she came over to her, he spread his legs, bending one at the knee and held his arms open for her to sit.
 
Kagome settled down in his embrace, rubbing her cheek against his chest, first expecting him to be cold, but… he was warm.
 
Inuyasha brought the blanket up so it covered them both nicely. Keeping his arms under it and rubbed her back soothingly and rhythmaticly, until she fell asleep, gently fingering the courting mark on her shoulder he had given her just a day or so ago long ago. He smiled with male pride, knowing that no one else can have her now. Gently licking her neck and hearing her moan softly.

Fast asleep, he thought as he nuzzled her once more before burying his face into her hair.
 
Sango looked over at the comfortable couple, the looked at Miroku, who, too was looking at them. He felt her gaze and looked at her, and smiled. Sango slowly but definitely smiled in return.
 
Miroku stood up and removed his purple covering, revealing an out fit similar to Inuyasha's, yet black instead of red. Draping it over her shoulders and sitting behind her, as she grasped it and held it closer to her body, Sango could feel his body heat covering her, raising her own body heat.
 
She leaned back into his till they were in the same position as the other two in the other corner.
 
The bond between them had grown tighter. Shippo was happy; he had gained to sets of parents.
 
Sango looked at her sister, and noticed that the man she was sitting with was stroking something on her neck. From her spot across the fire, it seemed like a bite mark. But she'd worry about that in the morning. Sango smiled as she felt Miroku embrace her, and she fell asleep instantly.
 
~Morning~

Sango woke up, and realized that both Inuyasha and Kagome had left. A blush raising on her face at the wonder. She looked back and smiled at the man behind her, gently lifting his arm that had rested around her waist and stood up. Stretching her limbs and saw that Kagome was outside near the cave, grasping the clothes that she had hung. Her back to Sango as she removed them from the low branch and folded them.
 
Her clothes were still wet, and she was wearing Inuyasha's red haori. Sango blinked as she watched her sister, and the mark she had seen last night was seen, as if she had no problem showing it. Sango practically hid behind the boulders at the cave entrance when Inuyasha returned with his arm full of fish.
 
She watched in silence as he looked at Kagome and smiled, watching as she returned it softly. `Ok something happened between those two. But, I wonder what.' Sango thought.
 
Inuyasha walked over to Kagome and wrapped a protective arm over her waist, bringing her body close to his. Kagome dropped the clothing in her hand and draped them around his neck. She nuzzled his nose with her own and a gentle smile appeared on both faces.
 
Inuyasha moved his head to the side of her neck, Sango watched as he kissed her shoulder and rock her back and forth soothingly and rest his head on her shoulder and sigh.
 
“How long do you plan to sit there and watch taijiya?” He called, surprising her. Obviously he was completely aware that she was there, and Sango saw no point in hiding.
 
She walked over to them from her spot behind the boulder and looked down at their feet once she reached them, a blush very present on her face.
 
“For crying out loud you're just as bad as that damn monk.” Inuyasha stood to his full loftiness, but kept his arm around Kagome's waist.
 
“I meant not to pry, but I had to see for myself. Forgive me.” She said as she looked down at the ground.
 
Inuyasha looked down at his mate and nodded. Releasing her to put a hand on Sango's shoulder, “You were bound to find out sooner or later. Now the only problem is, is to tell that damn hentai monk.” He breathed as he kissed Kagome on the cheek and walked by Sango to walk into the cave.
 
Sango looked from his back to Kagome's neck. The mate mark she had seen last night was not a trickery of mind. She reached for it, Kagome made no movement, allowing her to see the gift Inuyasha had given her just a few days ago.
 
“I'm proud of you.” Sango finally said as she rubbed the mark. Kagome smiled and set a hand on top her `big sisters'.
 
“Arigato” She said.
 
“So how long ago?”

”Just a few days.” Was Kagome's reply.
 
They smiled at each other, waiting for the men to come outside and prepare for breakfast.
 
~End Flash Back~

That seemed so long ago. In fact it was pretty much a week later that Kagome had come up to her and told her she was pregnant. It was good to see that the girl that Kagome had given birth to have grown up so nicely. Who would have thought that Inuyasha would make a good father?
 
He had constantly told her and Miroku that he had no idea how to be one. Never knowing his own, who could blame him?

He said he wasn't ready, and he actually admitted that he was scared. But… every first time parent is, so there was nothing to worry about, Inuyasha had actually done a really good job with out Kagome to help with the parenting over the years. The proof sat there in front of her.
 
`But he probably had Hana to help him as well.' Sango thought as she thought of his younger sister, who has a daughter of her own, who is close to be wed soon.
 
Well this child was on her way. And what ever she was doing out here away from home, Sango was certain that her family would help at any cost.