InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Not Knowing ❯ A lot can Happen on your Human Night ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 20: A lot can happen on Your Human Night
 
The trip along the waters path wasn't very enjoyable. Honou had gotten sea sick, and Saya was complaining hat it was too hot.
 
Once the night had come along, Mira finally allowed them to camp out. But had made them promise that at the sign of mornings first light they were back on the river.
 
“Mira, that's unreasonable.” Honou said to her as he set up the fire.
 
“Whether it is fair or not, doesn't matter. We leave at day break. And if you ain't ready, then you'll be left behind.” Her words were harsh, but not threatening.
 
And with that said, she bounded up the tree, and sat on a high branch. Mira looked up at the moon, `Tomorrow night is the full moon. We've already wasted so much time waiting for Saya to heal. Damn humans.” She said.
 
<Your part human you're self, remember. So where does that put you?> Her human portion asked her.
 
<<She's right. Remember what Otousan said, as well as Midoriko.>> Her demon half spoke up.
 
`I thought you were supposed to be on my side?'
 
<Well they're only looking out for you.>

<<Exactly, and even though I need rest tomorrow night, doesn't mean they'll attack… does it?>>

Both her halves didn't trust them very well. Her human half was understanding but still kept her guard up, though.
 
Mira looked down at the twins beneath her. Fast asleep. She heaved a sigh and allowed sleep to take over her as well
 
~Morning~
 
Saya woke up to the sound of the birds. Way past sunrise. She jolted awake, a little too quickly. Her back still sore from the fall, she felt the pain rise up to her shoulders,
 
She hissed, but did her best to ignore her pain; she reached over and grabbed her brother's arm, “Honou… Honou.” She whispered, “Wake up, Honou.”

he shifted and groaned. Withering against the damp ground, “Saya… yawn… what's wrong?” He asked.
 
“It's passed sunrise.”

”What?!” He practically shouted.

Both looked around their camp site. Seeing no sign of Mira, “You don't think she actually left… do you?”
 
Saya shrugged. As she stood up, she went over to the river and filled a container of water. Walking back over, she poured it over the barely visible fire. Smoke erupted from the pit, and a sizzling sound could be heard.
 
“Bout time you two woke up.” A rough voice came from behind the twins. There stood Mira, a hand on her hip, and soaked. Droplets of water fell from her hair and clothes. And her hair was tangled somewhat.
 
“Mira, you're soaked.” Saya said as she walked over to the hanyou and stood in front of her. Looking up at her slightly.

”Feh, just cause I ain't human, don't mean I don't enjoy a bath every once in a while.” She scoffed and looked off to the side.
 
`She's being harsher than usual… I wonder what's wrong.” Saya thought..
 
Honou stood and walked over to where his sister was, with Kilala in his arms.
 
“Can we get a move on already, or are we gonna lolly gag here all day?” Mira asked, turning her heel and walking over to the boat that had been untouched all night.
 
She grasped the edge and pushed out into the current. Up to her waist in the cooling liquid, she looked back to the shore as if saying `hurry the hell up already.'
 
Saya waded through the rivers bend and climbed into the boat. Honou followed, passing Kilala to Saya, before stepping into the boat.
 
Once both were comfortable and settled, Mira released the small vessel as it drifted off downstream. She jumped upon the front as she watched the scenery pass by them.
 
`Tree, boulder, tree, bush, rock, rock, bush, boulder…' Mira was going insane with the all too frequent scenery by late after noon, and letting everyone around her know by growling lowly in the back of her throat.
 
She looked up at the setting sun that was still vivid behind the tall mountain. `It's getting late… damn it, we should have left at day break… stupid humans.' She thought. In truth, they had wasted too much time, Mira now fears the night. They need to find shelter before the day is over… or else.
 
“Hey Mira?” Saya questioned.
 
“Nani?” She replied, rather evenly.
 
“What do you suppose that is up ahead?” Mira looked back at Saya and followed her pointing finger. Up ahead were strands of white thread like material stuck along the trees and rocks. Floating up, above and around them. And a lot of it inching forward as they moved a long.

Mira reached out, feeling the silky strands as she swiped at them, watching them fall into the water at the spots she had cut.
 
“Spider heads. Father had told me bout these damn little bugs.” Mira said. She closed her fists around the sticky web that had stuck to her hand.
 
`Just what I needed, a bug problem, just great.' She thought as she noticed the number of webs along the bank.
 
Behind her she could hear Kilala growl and hiss. `And I'm not the only one who senses danger.'
 
“Maybe we should stop and search for shelter.” Saya said.
 
“No.” That was the only word that escaped Mira's lips. She had wanted to find shelter as well, but with it being late spring, the spider heads were populating now more, so here in the mountains would be dangerous.
 
“Mira that's just irrational. Its dangerous to keep afloat like this, we need to make camp before any of the demons find us here.” Honou said.
 
“I said no. We'll keep going till we get out or come across a hut. But there is no way I'm camping out tonight.” Mira replied.
 
Saya sat back and crossed her arms, knowing that they had lost the battle. There was no way in hell she was going to convince her to sleep out.
 
`Wait, since when did I ever have to convince her? She's the one always sleeping in a tree. Why does she now want to sleep in doors?' Saya prodded her questions and came up with a few possible answers, but none suited her.
 
~~

Eventually, they came up to a dock. And where there was a dock, there had to be a hut near by.
 
Carefully and slowly the twins stepped off onto the wooden port, while Mira tied up the vessel to the standing post on the side.
 
Saya and Honou stood and waited, Kilala standing between them, sensing the worst. She had noticed that Mira's demonic power had diminished as the sun flew further more down and behind the mountain.
 
Mira stuffed her arms into her kimono, holding a soft expression, her face free of any lines. Which was really odd for the twins. Kilala scampered off and jumped up to land on Mira's shoulder.
 
`I'm here for you tonight.' Like it was what she was saying to Mira, as she rubbed her head under Mira's chin. She smiled and was happy to comprehend to her feline friend.
 
Though, it was not the demon she was worried about, it was the boy and girl behind her. All though they were strong demon slayers, they still had a lot of training to learn.
 
Wandering up the trail just a bit, a small hut sat off to the side, covered by thick trees and brush.
 
A mid aged woman sat on her knees, tending to the small garden near by. Hearing footsteps, she gazed upon the small group that had come up her path, “Weary travelers, have ye traveled far?”

“Just passing through, we do not wish to disturb you.” Mira said with calm and ease.
 
“Worry not, young ones. Ye are welcome to stay here as long as ye need to be.” The woman was sweet and kind, but something about her made the hair on the back of Mira's neck stand on end. The woman stood and led them inside.
 
She was an average sized woman, with black hay like hair. She was pale and had narrow eyes, color was unknown to them. She had an eerie feeling about her, and all four sensed it. Kilala growled low so that the human didn't hear.
 
“Hush, Kilala.” Mira whispered into the nekomatta's ear, and stroked its fur. Calming it slightly.
 
The home was a good size. She obviously had family. The fire in the middle was comforting and welcoming.
 
“So enlighten the old woman. Tell me where ye are heading.” She said as she took a spot on the floor.
 
Saya to her left and Honou next to her, “We're not really sure where we are going yet. But we needed to stop for the night.” Saya said.
 
“Ah, hai. The spider heads are very active after sunset. Ye have come here just in time.” She said.
 
“I hear there used to be a temple here. Mind explaining to us where it is located now?” Honou asked. His father had told him about the temple in the high mountains.
 
“Rumor has it that nineteen or twenty years ago, an odd couple came to it. The man was a hanyou and the woman was a miko is strange clothing. They say that they came to stay the night. And well the master that inhabited the area was killed by the half breed's hands, and he destroyed the temple.”

'That's not true!' Mira yelled in her head. Even she knew that's not what happened. She knew the story, her father had told it to her, and this woman was only partial right. The woman was speaking of her parents, and quiet wrongly as for that fact. That was when her father first started trusting her mother. Though she knew better and had kept her mouth shut.
 
Saya and Honou didn't believe the woman's tale either, “You are certain that the hanyou had did that? There had to have been a reason of some sorts.” Honou said as he started intently at the woman.
 
“The woman that had once lived there had told us a different story, saying how the priest was a demon in disguise, and only wanted to Shikon shards the strange woman had carried.” The woman said
 
“You didn't believe this girl?”

”Any person that claims that a half breed saved a mortal must be fictitious.”
 
“Feh and what makes you so sure of it?” Mira scoffed from her spot across the fire.
 
`Lies.'
 
The woman gazed over the hanyou, “I see you too are hanyou. Does this story disturb ye?”
 
“I have my reasons. But with the fact that I am hanyou, has nothing to do with it. I assure you.” Mira scooted back and propped up against the wall.
 
After that, the woman stayed quiet. Dinner was eaten in silence, though Mira didn't touch the food. This woman… she was suspicious.
 
“Well, I have two rooms for ye, if ye wish to use them.” She looked to the humans, “Ye may take one room.”

Saya looked to her brother, “Why is it that we cannot take one room?” She asked.
 
“I suspected that ye two were betrothed. Is that not the case?” The woman looked back.
 
“Goodness no, we are twins.” Honou said, hoping to clear the air. He agreed with his sister. They were in dangerous territory; it would be best if they were to stay in the same room.
 
The woman stood yet said nothing at first, “Why do ye travel with a hanyou and a demon?”

”It ain't any of your business.” Mira said from her place in the corner. Saya noted that the whole time they have been inside; Mira had constantly looked outside, as if waiting for something bad to happen.
 
“Well, I have things to tend to. Please make ye selves at home, sleep well.” The woman smiled as she left the room.
 
“I don't like it here. Can we leave?” Saya asked as she looked over to Mira, seeming like she's asleep. It would have convinced her too, had her ears not been moving.
 
Suddenly Mira's eyes popped open and her ears transfixed in one direction, “It seems to me we have company.” She said as she gazed at the last of the day.
 
Even with her demonic quickly retreating as the day near its end, she could still track it… if need be. And she wanted to get out of here for a bit while she could.
 
She stood and walked to the door, Saya stood and followed. Honou, on the other hand had decided to stay and eat. Considering he hasn't eaten well these past few days.
 
The sky was still bright and probably will be for a few more hours.
 
“Mira, what is it that you smell?” Saya asked.
 
“Not really sure, smells like another hanyou nearby.” Mira responded, not looking back at the demon slayer. “And blood.”

”Blood?” Saya flatly said, “Is it safe to venture on?”

”No worries, I assure you its safe.” She smiled to her friend.
 
Bringing her attention back to her surroundings, the scent of blood was becoming very robust. The metallic scent was driving Mira crazy, but slowly the pain in her nose ebbed away.
 
Upon a tree, claw marks were very visible. Ragged and sharp along the edges, that one touch may actually prick your skin. Mira gazed along the slash marks, carefully fingering them. Having a tough hide, it would be difficult to puncture her flesh. Bringing her hand to her face, blood was running down her tips.
 
“What ever it was, it's injured now. Blood is on the tree. A demon must have attacked.” Mira said.
 
“A spider head, maybe?”

Mira shook her head, “These marks are far too big to be any spider head. An oni must have gotten loose on the mountain somewhere.”
 
Saya nodded, oni demons were not the brightest, but even they knew to stay out of this territory. Any animal, human, or demon can get caught easily and devoured within minutes.
 
“Some one there?” Some one rasped out. The blood was emanating strongly from that direction.
 
In the clearing, a boy was seen. Badly beaten, demon parts were strewn all over. Blood puddles against the green layout. Trees were knocked over and demolished. The boy indeed was a hanyou. He too was an inu… just a different tribe than what Mira hails down from. His hair was jet black, a clan that existed farther east. It was said that they no longer lived. Only those in other inu packs knew of them. Hell Mira herself had heard of them. Though she never went there herself like her uncle and his family.
 
The boy looked up at the other inu hanyou, and gasped. His eyes examined her for a minute. Mira did the same, with a straight face. The boy's features were covered with blood, making it hard to see his face very well. His black hair had a thick coat of dry blood, even his ears were pinned down due to the blood. They were noticeable nonetheless. He was holding his left arm, which fell limp. Either lack of blood, or possibly broken.
 
He growled lowly, warning her to back off. She didn't listen, Mira only approached slowly. Kneeling down beside him, he bared his fangs at her, “What the hell do you want with me? You want to fight, fine you're on.” He snapped at her, never once making contact with her skin.
 
One thing Mira had learned about the eastern tribe was that they were not always good in short range fighting.

”Quite it, damn it.” Mira said. Narrowing her gaze at him. He had silver eyes that shone like moon light.
 
`She too is a hanyou. She must be from the west.' The boy thought.
 
“Why are you here?” He asked. His tone of voice was failing him, Mira shook her head, “I could smell your blood a while away.” She responded.
 
“You can leave now. I have no business with you.” He scoffed.
 
“And do you honestly believe that I'm just gonna leave you here?” She asked. Causing the boy to look at her with surprise.
 
The dogs of the west were a lot more sophisticated and loyal, but she was part human. She should have left.
 
“My name is Mira, and this is Saya.” She introduced them. Saya had stayed behind Mira, bowing slightly as she was introduced.
 
“So?” He jeered, “What point are those names to me? What could you possibly want form a low life like me?”

Mira's patience was wearing thin. So, she did what she did... pound him in the head. And he passed out
 
“Damned idiot.” She said.
 
“Do you think he took on that demon by himself?” Saya asked as she gazed around the destruction.
 
Mira lifted him up and supported him on her body, “Possibly. But I wonder what he's doing so far form home.”

”You know him?”

”No, he's from the east inu clan. That's all I know.” Mira said as she started to walk back. Saya followed close behind
 
~~
 
They reached the hut before the sun set. It was still a little early, so Mira was sighing in relief inside her mind.
 
She had set the boy down on a futon, and had asked Honou to tend to the wounds. Then after that… she disappeared.
 
~~
 
The boy was sleeping easily now. Both Saya and Honou had eaten and dressed for bed. But both waited for Mira to return.
 
Darkness had passed, and there was still no sign of her. Saya was starting to get worried. So she stood up and went about.
 
She started outside, walking down to the dock, their boat was still there. Untouched and the way it was as they left it.
 
This left Saya confused. The boat was here and there wasn't any where else to go for miles away
 
She scratched the back of her head with one hand and the other was placed on her hip, “Where could she have gone off to?” She asked herself.
 
She was cautious as she walked back up the path to the hut they were in. Honou looked up at his sister, a silent question in his eyes.
 
She shook her head, “I couldn't find her any where. I think she may still be here some where. The boat is still tied at the dock.” She said to her brother, “I wonder if she got lost somewhere.”

”I highly doubt. Remember who she is.” Honou told her.
 
“Maybe she's in one of the back rooms, I'll go check.” Saya strode off down the hall. Looking into each room carefully. The darkness had affected every room in the house, except form the small lantern in the corner, darkness crept in from all over.
 
Sounds were coming from one made her jump slightly. The sound of some thing falling and breaking, like clay pottery.
 
Saya walked over to the door and slid it open, “Hello? Old woman?” She called softly.
 
A rustle came from the corner. Farthest away from the window where the moonlight had spilled down. Saya stepped over to the corner.
 
The figure she was capable of making out gasped and shoved itself deeper in the corner and fell to the ground.
 
Saya squinted her eyes, but saw no use, so she walked to the lamp and grabbed the small flame lit candle. She then brought it over.
 
“Mira?” The light hit the girl coward in the corner. Saya gasped… the girl that sat there… was human.
 
She had dark violet eyes and long shimmering black hair. Same out fit as the hanyou she had been traveling with, “Mira, is that you?”

The girl said nothing, fear was held in her eyes. Her blunt human nails were digging into the wall behind her.

”It is no wonder you were paranoid today.” Saya kneeled down in front of her.
 
“Can you blame me? No one knows about this.” Mira whispered.
 
“Do you plan to stay here all night? What about Honou and that other boy?”

”What about them?”

”Yes what about us?” A voice rang from behind them. Honou stood in the door way looking a little sleepy. Mira looked away from him.
 
“You have to trust us sooner or later. So trust us with this, ok?” Saya said to her, hoping to get her out side.
 
Mira looked at her, as she stood up and extended a hand to help her up. Mira looked unsure at first… though she accepted.
 
“Just trust us Mira.” Saya assured her, “That's what friends are for.”
 
Saya led her to the main part of the house. Sitting around the fire so quietly for what it seemed like hours.
 
Mira constantly looked outside, hoping that she would eventually see a glimpse of the sun. The twins, like the boy they had bandaged, had fallen to sleep.
 
Mira was quite surprised that the area was still silent. Though she could no longer smell, she felt those damn demons auras outside. Getting closer and closer.
 
Suddenly, the door broke down and spider demons rushed forward. Mira leaped to grasp her blades, still holding significant power; she slashed at the dastardly things.
 
Saya and Honou woke up, hearing the door fall down. Honou reached for the Hiraikotsu and thrusting it forward. Saya with her scythe in her hand, she threw it at the demons.
 
With every strike they threw, there only seemed to be more coming, “Why won't they die, damn it?” Mira yelled, her energy growing weaker and weaker by the minute. “Damn this human body.”
 
Soon enough the demons separated, clearing a path for the figure that had joined them.
“Ah, I see. So ye are human tonight.” The woman that they had met earlier had come in. The same woman that had taken them in for the night.
 
“I knew there was something about you I didn't like.” Mira scoffed.
 
“What good fortune that the sacred jewel has come under my home.” She hissed. Her once black hair had inked away to a ratted white. The outer skin started to peel and crack. Revealing blackish grey skin underneath.
 
“Ye, miko… hand over the sacred jewel or suffer the very same ye pathetic father went through.”

”So you knew after all?” Mira smirked.
 
“Indeed I did. My brother lost his life to that wretched mutt. And now ye must suffer.” At that the woman pushed forward, her neck extended. Teeth protruding past her cracked and vile lips.
 
Mira dodged the first strike. The neck swung around and threw Saya and Honou back against the wall, winding them. Turning back around, Mira was to busy defending herself from the little cretins she didn't see the attack coming.
 
Next thing Mira knew, a sharp pain ruptured from her shoulder, the spider woman had sunk her fangs in, just as her father had gone through so long ago. She rasped out a breath as she felt her body grow numb and weak. Her knees buckled beneath her and she moved no more.
 
“Mira!” Saya ran up to her injured friend. She touched her cheek, “She's cold.”

”I had filled her body with plenty of poison… there is nothing you can do now. With in hours her body will be devoured from the inside. And the Shikon jewel will be mine.”

”Quick into the back room.” A new voice had come in. The boy that they had saved earlier came in. He was fully healed and was moving around. The spiders reacted and lunged another attack. Honou quickly ran over and picked up Mira and ran over to where the boy was, who had opened a door. Honou walked inside with Saya to follow. The boy retreated inside and closed the door, right before the demons struck. The boy set some sort of seal on the wood. So they had temporary protection.
 
The sound of the door being knocked on with such vulgar aggression, that would be one door they would not be answering sometime soon.
 
All attention was drawn back to the hanyou now human girl panting on the floor.
 
“We need to get the poison out of her system.” Saya said in a panicky voice.

”Maybe I can be of assistance.” A small voice interrupted.
 
The same flea that had come to the cave earlier sat right on Saya's shoulder.
 
“Old man… you're the one that goes by the name Myoga. Is it not?” Honou asked as he gazed upon the small flea.
 
“Yes I am. Now move aside.” The flea bounced to Mira's neck and started sucking the tainted blood. Growing half if not more of his size.
 
“I drank too much.” He said as he rolled away from her neck and down the side. “I drank much of the poison to the extent that it is no longer harmful… but now it is up to her will to live.”

Saya and Honou watched as Mira's skin color returned to her slowly. But the warmth had not. She was still shaking and sweating.
 
“Why do you care for her any way?” Attention was drawn to the boy that had sat against the wall, near the door. Saya looked up at him, “Why did you save us back there?”

”You answer my question first.” He growled at her.

”She's our friend. What more reason do you need.?” Honou responded.
 
“Peh, humans who make friends with a hanyou. Not very often that happens.”

”What are you saying? Our parents traveled together in search of the Shikon jewel shards.” Honou practically yelled.
 
“Don't matter.” The boy said.
 
“If it doesn't matter, then why did you save us? You could have left us to die.” Saya said.
 
“It ain't my nature to leave some one behind. No matter what.” He said, bringing his gaze to the girl that had saved him earlier. Seeing how fragile she looked, “Not only that, I was returning the favor.”

Saya knew what he meant, Honou somewhat understood.
 
“What is your name exactly?” Saya asked.
 
The boy was silent for a minute, and then answered with a single word, “Inukuro. (Black dog)”

Saya nodded, and then introduced her brother, before returning her attention back to her friend on the floor. Touching her skin once more, she was relieved to feel that some to the warmth had returned to her pale existence.
 
The cowardly flea had rolled away, once he deflated back down to his own size. The twins didn't care. Their parents had told them about Inuyasha's so called retainer. How he always ran off at the sight of danger... no matter how serious it was.
 
So now they would wait through the rest of the night. And would wait till sunrise to head off once more.
 
The sounds of thumping and thrashing eventually died down.

“Have they given up?” Saya asked.
 
“No there out there… and they're waiting for us.” Inukuro said.
 
The roof began to crackle and then collapse. Saya screamed and threw her body over Mira's in attempt to protect her.

Honou and Inukuro stood up, weapons drawn. Inukuro had a sword, just like any other. Plain and sharp to the point. It was nothing like the swords of the fang the western clan possessed… well, he wasn't from that line… like Mira was. And as such he didn't need a seal on his demon blood like she did.
 
The spider woman hissed and laughed.
 
“What luck that two hanyou's have entered my domain. What a fine feast ye will be.”
 
“Get real you hag.” Inukuro yelled up to her.
 
The woman snarled and spat out long threads of web. Covering both the twins and lifting them up. Inukuro was left stuck on the ground as the sticky web stuck him like glue. He was immobile.
 
Saya screamed and Honou's mouth was cut off. The web had literally covered him completely.
 
Down on the ground, Mira could hear everything that was going on. Beside her, she felt her blades start to pulse.
 
`Sunrise in drawing closer. I can feel my demonic strength returning.' She thought as she stood up.
 
Inukuro sensed the change in her scent and he looked over to her. She was tempting to stand, “You fool. Stay on the ground. You ain't strong enough.” He yelled over to her, though she didn't listen to his words. Instead, she said, “Oh shut the hell up. You have no idea what I am capable of doing.”

He sensed her strength return fast. The sun hadn't even risen yet and already it was coming back.
 
Her steps at first were staggered like and uneasy. But as she strode closer to the demon, her walking became more and more graceful.
 
“Put my friends down.” She said flatly.
 
“Mira!” Saya called down to her.
 
Mira nodded up to her and smiled.
 
“And what makes ye believe that I will do such a dastardly thing such as that. Ye are nothing more than a helpless whelp.”
 
 
“Ah, but that's where you forget.” Mira smirked. The first rays of the sun were peaking over. Her eyes started to glow, and her hair started to flail around her, as though her demonic aura was giving it a life of its own, “You forget whose whelp I am.”

Her hair had turned color. Her silver streaks had returned back and her fangs and claws lengthened. Her ears traveled from the side of her head to the top as the cute dog ears we all love.
 
“The moon lit night has finally come to an end. And now I can finally finish you off.” She said as she leaped up and struck her claws downward, making contact with the monsters head.
 
Saya and Honou fell to the ground. Mira caught Saya effortlessly, and Honou was saved by a nearby tree. Mira set Saya down on the ground as they watched the main demon shrivel up and fade away, “Go and meet your brother in the pits of hell.” She whispered.

Honou came down and prayed.
 
“Why the hell are you praying for a demon?” She asked.
 
“Once some one or some thing is slain, it is neither good nor bad no longer. Once death has come, it would be best that the soul doesn't return evil, and try to come after some one else.” He said.
 
Mira shook her head, then brought her gaze over to Inukuro.
 
“I guess I own you a thank you.” She said.
 
“Don't worry about it. I was merely returning the favor.” He said as he looked to the sky.
 
“Why are you so far form home?” Mira asked him another question.
 
“I'm looking for a man.” He said, “I'm here to avenge my family.”

“What? What happened?” Saya butted in.
 
“My clan was attacked not that long ago. But the man that had killed half of them was not seen in real form. The half that lived claimed that it had been me. So they banished me. My father believed me, and had spoken that damn bastard's name.” He said.

“He said that the man's name was Naraku.” He finished.
 
Saya and Honou's eyes were wide open as he said this. Yet Mira's eyes stayed the same.
 
 
AN: Ok another chapter is done…. I need reviews people. I need to know how I'm doing. And I'm running out of ideas again. >.< Damn this mind of mine… So anyway, keep reading and lets see what will happen to the group next. Thanks for reading =).