InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Not Knowing ❯ Old Friends ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 21:Old Friends
 
~After the incident three days ago~

Inuyasha had heard that Saya's injury was not critical, so he left it to Hana to make sure that they were ok. As for him and Shippo, they were on their way to visit old friends. And with their speed and agility, they would be there by night fall, the night before the full moon.
 
~~

Sango was outside weeding her garden, and Miroku was off in the village for one of his famous exorcisms. Although now a days his were all in good reason, compared to back then when he would only do so for a place to stay in doors.
 
Sango was humming a joyful tune, when she felt the demonic aura that had appeared from behind her. She continued the song, but slowly reached for her weapon close by. Her Hiraikotsu was always with her. Her demon slaying work was never done, and even though she had children, it only gave her a reason to continue her families' lineage.
 
When the twins were at least four, she had weapons constructed for them. A scythe for Saya like her uncle Kohaku owned and a Hiraikotsu for Honou just like his mother. It was after all their choice for what they wanted to special in, and was doing very good jobs at it.
 
Footsteps could be heard near her, but she acted as though nothing was there. She kept her breath and her heart beat steady, and readied for the strike.
 
Then… she struck. Grabbing the large boomerang and thrusting it over her shoulder. Though… it never made contact.
 
 
Whoever was standing behind her had caught the bone. A cloud of dust reached up from the momentum she had applied downward to the ground. The hands that held the bone in place were not moving any time soon.
 
“Release me!” She called.
 
There… a second aura appeared. Strange how both seemed familiar, but Sango was taking no chances. Not now… and possibly ever.
 
Beside her, she heard something, as though something had been dropped by the breeze. Touching feather light to the ground so softly.
 
“I told you not to sneak up on her. Now didn't I?” Who would have thought that Sango would gaze upon the hanyou she had traveled with so long ago?
 
Inuyasha had stood right next to her, carrying that very same smirk he carried so long ago. But even he had aged slightly. The boy he somewhat was when they had first met, had became a full blown man.
 
Sango's eyes were wide open once she gazed upon him. But who he was talking to, that's when she dragged her gaze back. As the dust settled, a young kitsune crouched in front of her. The hiraikotsu was perched on his shoulder, a smirk present on his features. Shippo had caught the bone just in the nick of time.
 
“Couldn't blame me for trying, can you?” He said as he gazed at his father, then returning his eyes to the woman who still held the bone and said, “Hey there Sango.”

Sango released the weapon; Shippo stood and rotated his shoulder, as though there was a crick in there. So he wasn't prepared for his `aunts' movement, as she jumped and wrapped her arms around his neck. Shippo was shocked but quickly recovered and held her by the back and squeezed her like she and his mother would do when he was small.
 
When he stood to his full height, Sango felt herself leave the ground; her feet dangled inches off the ground.
 
“It is good to see you, Shippo.” She whispered to him.
 
Shippo smiled and set her down. Sango brushed her fingers against his cheek, seeing if it was no illusion.
 
“You've gotten tall.” This caused him to smile more, remembering that set aside from Kilala, he was the smallest in the group.
 
Sango turned and looked over her shoulder to see her dearest friend. Inuyasha could help but smile softly at her. He could smell as well as see the tears in her eyes. She definitely missed them.
 
She came up to him and hugged him as well. He did the same to her as Shippo did, wrapping both arms around his old friend and picking her up by the waist.
 
“No need for tears, Sango.” He said to her, as he set her down, “Where is that damn monk of yours?”

She wiped the tears away, “He's at the village performing an exorcism.”

Inuyasha quirked a brow but shrugged, knowing well that he has changed his mannerisms.
 
“Well what are we doing outside, please come inside. There is a fresh pot of tea made.” She said as she led them inside.
 
She poured them both a small cup, and then they were brought upon a comfortable silence that they haven't endured for so long.
 
The sun was dipping pretty fast. And Inuyasha was thinking back to Mira, and how tomorrow night was dangerous for her.
 
“Something on your mind, Inuyasha?” Sango asked him, snapping him out of the daze he was in.
 
“Huh? Nothing… its nothing. I was just thinking.” He replied.
 
Sango lowered her cup to her lap and stared at it with sad eyes, “I heard about Kagome.” She said, her bangs covering her eyes, but Inuyasha could still tell that she was crying.
 
He looked away from her and off to the window looking at the tinting sky. The stars were coming out, but only a few were visible. Inuyasha hadn't told any of them about her death, and it was now that he felt bad for not doing so.
 
“Mira told you, I take it.”

“Yes. She's a lot like you and Kagome, you know?”

“Feh, sometimes I think she is Kagome.” Sadness leaked into his tone.
 
`He really misses Kagome. Poor guy.' Sango thought.
 
“She has your attitude.”

“She doesn't really take to strangers.”

“Neither did you when we first met.”

“Hey that's not my fault, you attacked me remember?” He said, “How did you expect me to react?”

She giggled. Inuyasha looked to the door, “Seems that the monk is finally home.” He said.
 
Sango looked to the door as did Shippo, who had sat in the corner and stayed quiet.
 
And as on cue, Miroku stepped through the reed door, and gazed on his dear old friend.
 
“What a wonderful week this has turned out to be. We meet your daughter then see you a day later. And not only that, but our own kids had left.” He said in a joking manner. “This truly is a gift from Buddha.”

Inuyasha smirked, then stood, “What brings you out here, haven't heard form you in a while?” Miroku said as he met the hanyou half way and shook his hand with one and set the other on his shoulder.
 
“Just living, Houshi.” The hanyou replied. Miroku couldn't help but laugh smally at the nick name his wife had given him years ago.
 
He looked to Shippo who too had stood. Miroku looked at him wide eyed, noting that the kit was now somewhat taller than himself, but not taller than his foster father, “You grew kid.” He said, stuttering slightly.
 
“Good to see you too, Miroku.” Shippo said as he shook his hand as well, and then took his seat back by the fire.
 
After that, they sat around the fire, exchanging stories and catching up. Stories about their lives after marriage and the kids. Raising them and watching them get stronger.
 
And about Kagome. Her name was brought up a lot, meaning that she really was the center of the group that held every one together… after all it was because of her that every one was together… that they had families of their own.
 
Sango had her little brother back.
 
Miroku had some one to care for… well, without physical pain and an early grave or a death wish.
 
Shippo had a mother and a father again.
 
And Inuyasha had someone who loved him as much as he loved her. Some one who cared for him and made every thing in his dark past all seem worth it.
 
Yeah… all because of Kagome, that they all had something to live for. Families and bonds were made, and none could be happier.
 
Sango and Miroku had gone to bed, and had offered Inuyasha and Shippo to stay the night, which they were more than happy to accept.
 
Shippo had drifted off easily, but the problem was with Inuyasha. He wasn't thinking about sleep… he was thinking about Mira. Full moon was coming up quickly. Sure she had been out of the house when her human night came around, but she was always within reach and was capable of getting back safely. And she was careful; making sure no one saw her. But something told him that the twins had.
 
But he trusted their parents and as such he trusted them. He knew that Mira was safe with them.
 
AN: People… I really need reviews… Im starting to feel bad. I need to know how Im doing. And something I could possibly use in later chapters…. PLEASE REVIEW ME.