InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Dog Gods & Mortals (new version) ❯ Chapter 8

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

DISCLAIMER: I'll make this short and sweet. 'Inuyasha' and all characters involved belong to Rumiko Takahashi and not to me. Any questions? No? Good, now on with the story.
 
 
CHAPTER 8
 
The next week at the temple were not nearly as wonderful as Inuyasha had thought they would be that first morning after his and Kagome's night together. First up was the weather, which had been seeing almost constant storms starting late that afternoon and continued for several days, one storm appearing after another. Not only were the perpetual sheets of freezing water depressing, they caused some other problems for the temple and village as well. In the village, the rain had caused some damage to the local's homes. There were several leaky roofs reported, and one small part of the river actually flooded. Fortunately the damage from the flood was minimal and none of the village houses were affected but poor old widow Aglaia's garden needed quite a bit of work after the water receded once again. In the temple itself, they were lucky enough to avoid any damage from flooding or leaky roofs as the temple was in superb condition. However Hojo had been constantly worrying about how the excess of rain was affecting his precious flowers, and with the weather this bad it was safe to assume that Miroku would be delayed on his return journey. And on a more personnel note, the rain was making it harder for Inuyasha and Kagome to spend their nights together without the rest of the temple knowing. The heavy rain was making it that much more difficult for Kagome to make the journey to Inuyasha's room at night through the garden, and she did not want to travel through the corridors as this would take her past the others' rooms and she felt it would be tempting the fates too much. There were a couple of nights were it stopped raining long enough for Kagome to dash across the muddy garden grounds to her beloved God's room, and a couple of times Inuyasha had decided it was worth teleporting himself to Kagome's room. However, the first didn't occur nearly often enough for either of their tastes. And with the second it was often too draining on Inuyasha to teleport himself and Kagome back to his room, and besides the noise that would have been obvious to the other priestesses and the priests should they choose to make love in Kagome's room and her cot was hardly designed for two people. So as a result, more often than not over the last week Inuyasha and Kagome were forced to sleep alone.
 
There was another serious downer on temple life over the last week, and it had a name that had become all too associated with annoyance for Inuyasha lately; Kikyo. Inuyasha didn't know why he was surprised that Kikyo had started acting up again, he figured he should be used to it by now. Still, her attitude had really been improving, and Inuyasha didn't know what had suddenly made Kikyo so angry once again. It didn't make any sense to him how she could go from seemingly content to seething with anger in one single night, but apparently that was what had happened. For the last week, the only think Inuyasha could sense from Kikyo was overwhelming anger and jealousy, but he couldn't figure out what was causing it. Whatever it was had made her even more of a bitch that usual, and frankly she was starting to scare those she had contact with.
 
Inuyasha had first noticed the new anger in Kikyo the morning after he and Kagome had first made love, when he and the temple staff had sat down for breakfast. When Kikyo had entered the room filled with so much anger Inuyasha had struggled to keep his face expressionless and not say anything, but every instinct he had was screaming `DANGER!!!' and to get ready to either fight or flee. The air around the priestess was so filled with malice that Inuyasha was surprised that it wasn't visible. It was such a big change from when Inuyasha had last seen Kikyo the night before; she had seemed so content and pleased with herself. Now, she was angrier than Inuyasha had ever seen her, and he had seen her pretty damn angry at times. It was also clear that he wasn't the only one who noticed this, as Kagome, Kaede and Kohaku all started watching her warily as well, as if they were waiting for an explosion and were concerned about staying out of the blast area. The only one who didn't seem to be walking on eggshells during breakfast was Hojo, but then the boy had always been a little slow at reading people.
 
Feeling more than a little wary himself, Inuyasha had breached the subject of giving Kikyo the new duties he had decided on with more than a little hesitation, but decided to stick with his original idea of assigning Kikyo the duty of taking care of library on a permeant basis and relocating Kagome to helping with the offerings for good. He had been expecting Kikyo to explode at that, and judging by the suddenly more concerned faces of the temple staff (even Hojo had guessed that this would make Kikyo angry) he wasn't the only one.
 
However, they were all surprised. Although Inuyasha clearly felt Kikyo's already angry aura suddenly become that much more hostile, all the priestess did was bow her head and say in an extremely bitter tone “As you wish my lord.”
 
For the last week, those were the only words that came out of Kikyo's mouth. Whenever Inuyasha said anything to Kikyo, she would simply bow her head and say, “As you wish my lord”, each time her voice becoming more and more bitter. She wouldn't say anything else to anyone else, not that that didn't mean she wasn't finding ways to make them uncomfortable around her. Every time anyone dared speak to her and come too close to her, she would grace them with a glare fit to peal paint. When she walked anywhere she would stomp every step and rudely bump aside anything in her path that wasn't made of stone or attached to the ground, whether it be small furniture or people. At meal times she would grab just whatever she wanted, headless of whether someone else was already using it or if she spilled or knocked over anything. The few times she had been in the village since then, the children had actually run away in fear of her. The woman was becoming a terror to everyone she was around, and worse of all Inuyasha didn't know how to snap her out of it.
 
So, despite the fact that he was now in a relationship with who he considered the most beautiful and wonderful woman he had ever met and the only woman he had ever loved, Inuyasha had to say on the whole the last week had kind of sucked. To make matters worse, Kagome had been starting to have visions a couple of days ago, which he didn't like the sound of. The visions weren't clear, which wasn't all that surprising seeing as even the best seers rarely saw the future perfectly and Kagome was far from the world's best seer. What Kagome's vision did show was that something was coming that meant change, could very well turn out to be very dangerous and would come in threes. This was not something Inuyasha felt he nor anyone else needed at this point, and he hoped that whatever it was Kagome was seeing would stay away at least long enough for the temple to sort out it's current problems before it came knocking.
 
Unfortunatly for the Dog God, his temple and the village of Ergos, Kagome's vision started coming true early in the morning eight days after his and Kagome's first night together.
 
 
Author's Note
 
Yay, I'm back. Sorry about not updating anything for a while, real life kind of caught up with me. This chapter's just a bit of a teaser for what's coming in the next chapter, which I'm going to get started on in a minute, but I thought I'd post this earlier to wet all of your appetites a bit.
 
PS, just for the record I have no intention of abandoning ANY of my other fanfics, though some of them will probably take quite a bit of time to get back on track, please bare with me.