InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Dog Gods & Mortals (new version) ❯ Chapter 10

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

DISCLAIMER: I'll make this short and sweet. 'Inuyasha' and all characters involved belong to Rumiko Takahashi and not to me. Any questions? No? Good, now on with the story.
 
Author's Note: This chapter takes place mid autumn.
 
WARNING: chapter contain violence.
 
CHAPTER 10
 
Still feeling uneasy, Kagome glanced around the small market place once again. As she had the last four times she had done so, all Kagome saw were the villagers going about their daily shopping, with a few visiting worshipers thrown in here and there. Nothing to be worried about, but still Kagome couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had been with her all morning. Kagome sighed and shook her head as if to clear it. She wished she could explain this feeling better, even if just to herself. It wasn't a vision, but Kagome still felt that somehow it was tied into her powers as a seer. But even if it was, it certainly wasn't telling her much. All she had was the feeling that something was wrong, but just what that something was, Kagome couldn't rightly say. Whatever it was had gotten far worse after Inuyasha said he was leaving, even though he assured her that he would be back. Was that what this was all about, Kagome wondered, was she simply worried that maybe Inuyasha had in fact left for good? No, she decided a moment later, that wasn't it. Kagome trusted Inuyasha to keep his word, if he said he was coming back then he was coming back. But if that wasn't the problem, what was? Was she getting worked up over nothing?
 
Once again resolved to trying to put the feeling to the back of her mind for now, Kagome sighed and glanced around again, this time with the purpose of finding where Sango and Kohaku were. She quickly found them in front of stall selling some brightly coloured gowns a few stalls across from where Kagome was standing. Sango naturally stood out in the crowd, as she always carried her oversized throwing weapon with her on her back wherever she went even if it was just shopping. How such a slender woman could even lift that thing, let alone throw it with the strength and skill Sango had, Kagome didn't think she would ever understand. Kohaku also stood out, still wearing his priest robes, and loaded down with the dozen or so packages which Kagome and Sango had already picked out (mostly Sango, Kagome did earn quite a bit of money working as a priestess of such a popular temple, but she was never really all that comfortable spending it).
 
Kagome quickly made her way to Sango's side. She smiled as she passed Kohaku, hearing him grumble to himself about how unfair his sister was being, turning him into a packhorse. Flashing the boy a quick, slightly sympathetic smile, Kagome walked over to Sango's side to see what the older girl was looking at.
 
Sango glanced up from her inspection of a pretty pink and green gown to see that Kagome was back. She smiled at first before she noticed the fact that Kagome was once again looking worried, as she had been on and off all morning.
 
“Kagome, what's wrong?” Sango asked, for the third time since they had started shopping.
 
“Nothing's wrong Sango, I'm fine.” Kagome said instantly, also for the third time that morning. Every time Kagome had said this, it sounded less convincing than the time before, at least to Sango, and this time the guardswoman decided she wasn't going to accept that answer.
 
“Come on Kagome, it's obvious that something's been bugging you all morning. You can tell us.” Sango said, the look in her eyes making it clear that she wasn't going to drop it this time.
 
Kagome saw this and sighed, knowing that her friend was not going to leave her alone until she got an answer she was happy with. Looking around quickly to see if anyone else was paying attention, Kagome saw that she had nothing to worry about in that regard. Sango and Kohaku, who had also noticed how uncomfortable Kagome had looked all morning and also wanted answers, were the ones one spaying attention to Kagome at that moment. In fact, the only over people who were even close enough to listen to the priestess's response were the stall owner and one of the village women who had also been looking at the gowns, and they were so involved in haggling over one of the items that it was unlikely that they even noticed the three were there. Nor did it appear that they were likely to finish their negotiations for some times, the woman was refusing to buy at a certain price, and the store owner was refusing it sell at anything lower.
 
Still hoping to get out of answering, Kagome studied Sango's face for a minute before turn her gaze on Kohaku's. Both looked equally stubborn and unlikely to let this go. Sighing with the realisation that she wasn't getting out of this, Kagome sighed and answered.
 
“I'd don't know what's wrong with me, okay?” Kagome said tiredly. “I've just been having this feeling all day that something's wrong.”
 
“Have you had a vision?” Kohaku asked immediately, knowing as the entire temple and most of the town knew that Kagome was a lower level seer.
 
Shaking her head no, Kagome was somewhat surprised that they weren't laughing at her fears. Some of her old friends in Lorinth had laughed at even her clearest visions, while many of her old neighbours had labelled her as a `crazy girl', rather than a seer. Then again, Kagome rationalised, the people of Lorinth hadn't had a God as a resident for over two years now. Something like that can change a person's philosophical opinions quite dramatically.
 
“No, it's not a vision.” Kagome said carefully, wanting to explain this properly now that she felt that she would be listened to seriously. “I'm not really sure what it is. It's, well it's like this overwhelming feeling that something is seriously wrong, only it doesn't feel like it's just something in my head. It feels like it's real.”
 
“Could it be that Inuyasha's gone at the moment?” Sango asked after a minute of thought. Kagome started slightly, thinking that maybe somehow Sango knew of her and the God's relationship, but the guardswoman's next words quickly assured her that that wasn't what she referring to. “After all, you've never been in Ergos while he hasn't been here, and seer's powers are said to be linked to the Gods. Could his absence at the moment be causing your feelings of unease?”
 
Kagome thought about that for a moment, then shook her head. “No I don't think so. I already thought it might be something simular, but that doesn't really fit with what I'm feeling. It's not so much that something's missing, so much as something's coming I guess.”
 
“Something's coming?” Sango repeated. “Like what?”
 
Kagome was just opening her mouth to reply that she didn't know, when suddenly the sounds of terrified screams could be heard coming from the south side of the village.
 
***
 
Balasi was almost laughing with excitement as he and his men rode their horses at almost a full gallop into the village of Ergos, former home of the God of Protection. He couldn't believe his luck earlier. They had come across a fat merchant train heading from Ergos to the Southern Market, just overflowing with goods. It was like something out of Balasi's dreams, and even better there weren't so many guards that it was impossible to take. Sure it was difficult and one of his men died in the attack; but hey, it that pain-in-the-butt Endry, the one who was talking the loudest about staging a mutiny against Balasi, so it wasn't like the bandit boss was going to miss him. The point is, they won and managed to secure more in one morning than they had in months.
 
Then things kept getting better for the bandits, when they received the news of a lifetime. The merchant, being the last one alive had begged for his life, offering what he called valuable information in return for them sparing him. Amused by the man's pleas, Balasi had agreed to hear the man out. Imagine his surprise when he was informed that the God of Protection had in fact left Ergos, at least for the rest of the day, probably more, and that there were still several merchant trains in Ergos, just loaded withy goods and waiting for the god's return. This was the chance of a lifetime, never in Balasi's whole bandit career would he of expected to have a shot at such a huge hull. With a plan already forming in his mind, Balasi wasted no time in killing of the merchant and setting it into action.
 
They would need to act fast, before the God of Protection returned and wrecked everything. And he would need more men, to take on all the guards no doubt waiting in the village. Sending his men out with messages to every other bandit band within the area for reinforcements, Balasi got ready to do what only yesterday had seemed impossible and take Ergos itself.
 
As Balasi had expected, it wasn't long before the other bandit bands were turning up at the agreered upon meeting place, the lure of all the gold and goods in Ergos too much for the by now rather desperate men to ignore. It was barely two hours after his scout had announced seeing that merchant train that Balasi, his band and other bands of bandits from the area attacked the now godless Ergos.
 
***
 
The town was in chaos, as dozens of bandits ravaged the town; fighting with the village guards and those from the merchant trains, plundering goods from wherever they could find it, some even trying to take off with some of the younger village women. Everywhere you looked you would see someone fighting, steeling or fleeing in fear. The sound of steal on steal as weapons clashed was covered only by the sounds of screaming.
 
Was this was I sensed was coming? Kagome asked herself in fear as she looked around from her hiding place such as it was. As soon as Sango had realised that the village was under attack she had forced Kagome and her brother into a narrow, dead-end alleyway and told them to stay there and out of danger for the moment as she and the other guardsmen fought to protect the town. So far none of the bandits had noticed the two, although their hiding place did give them quite a good view (too good, in Kagome's opinion) of the ongoing battle, as well as the temple, which was currently glowing pink in Kikyo's power.
 
Kagome hadn't even noticed Kikyo when she first stepped out onto the steps of the temple during the beginning of the battle. After all, who would notice one single woman exiting the temple in the middle of all this? But when the temple started glowing, that Kagome noticed. It had taken moment for Kagome to realise what she was seeing. There was Kikyo, calmly kneeling on the steps of the temple chanting something Kagome had no chance of hearing, as she and the entire temple stood inside what appeared to be a big, glowing pink bubble. When Kagome had realised that Kikyo was projecting a barrier powerful enough to keep the bandits out and large enough to cover the entire temple, at first Kagome had been shocked and impressed. However, that feeling had quickly subsided as an overwhelming anger took over.
 
What the hell was Kikyo doing?! Who cared about an empty temple at a time like this? People were dieing, fighting for their lives and Kikyo was worried about protecting a bloody building? Kagome's rage just grew as she watched as a few of the villagers ran up to the temple and begged, actually begged, Kikyo to let them in and give them sanctuary. Kikyo ignored them completely, didn't even look at them, as she continued to chant. For the first time in her life, Kagome wanted to kill someone as she watched Kikyo brush aside those poor people's pleas as if they were nothing. How dare she?! And she calls herself a priestess?!
 
Kagome's thoughts were brought back from her angry contemplation on Kikyo's actions when Sango came back into view, fighting with a tall bandit with long, greasy black hair right in front of the entrance to the alleyway. Somewhere along the way Sango had lost her trademark weapon, the Hiraikotsu, and was now battling with her sword. Sango was obviously a good warrior by her stance and form, but Kagome saw to her horror that she was also obviously weakening after fighting for so long and that the bandit was gaining the upper hand. Kagome was praying that her assessment of the situation was wrong when Kagome saw something she was sure was going to haunt her nightmares for years to come.
 
Kagome didn't know enough about swordplay to tell what mistake Sango made, or even if she did make a mistake at all. All she knew was that somehow that god-damn bandit managed to get under Sango's guard for just long enough to drive his sword right through her stomach with enough force that Kagome could see the tip of it protruding from her back.
 
“Sango!” Kohaku screamed as he saw his sister fall to the ground. Without stopping to think about the insanity of what he was doing, Kohaku rushed to attack the bandit that had apparently killed his sister with nothing but his bare hands. The bandit looked in the direction of Kohaku's scream, seeming surprised to see the boy rushing to attack him. however, surprise quickly turned to amusement as the young priest got closer and the bandit raised his sword to kill Kohaku too.
 
Kagome's heart was in her throat by now, as tears began to run down her face. This couldn't be happening. She had just seen the closest friend she had ever had receive what had to be a fatal wound, and was sure she was about to watch another friend of hers die. How could this be happening in such a wonderful place, this fantastic town she had come to call home. Why did those bloody bandits have to come here? How many would they kill today? And by the time the day was over would life ever be the same here again? Kagome doubted it. Kagome was suddenly overwhelmed with desire, one simple wish, to see all of the bandits gone! Now!
 
All of this flashed through Kagome's mind in an instant, but as soon as Kagome finished the last though, she felt something strange well up inside her, a kind of warmth unlike anything she had ever felt before. Kagome didn't have time to mentally analyse it as it quickly swelled up to engulf her whole body, before shooting out of her and expanding in all directions at an alarming rate. She could actually see it now, a greenish light that rushed outwards from her body, yet still felt like it was somehow connected to her.
 
The light spread in all directions, passing through stone and people as if they weren't there; until it meet the bandits. Kohaku was lucky that he hadn't quite reached the bandit that had stabbed his sister. The light hit the bandit when Kohaku was bare inches away from being sliced up by the fiend's sword, and he was thrown backwards through the air, seeming to almost float on the light as it continued backwards. As the light continued Kagome could see the same thing happening everywhere the light hit the bandits, lifting them and pushing them backwards while still leaving the villagers alone, until the light encompassed the whole village. Nervous and confused, Kagome walked slowly out of the alleyway to see that the same thing had happened in all directions, and the bandits were all outside what appeared to be a big green bubble surrounding the village. It was then and only then that Kagome realised the truth. It was barrier, she had created a barrier that granted here wish to get the bandits out of the village. But… how did she do it? She had never been able to create a barrier before, and for what she had heard of them only the most powerful priests and priestess could create one this big. And how long could she possibly hope to hold it before it collapsed and the bandits got back in?
 
Outside the barrier, Balasi was thinking the same thing. It infuriated him that this damn barrier threw him away before he got the chance to kill that stupid boy-priest that had been foolish enough to attack him. But who had created this barrier? It couldn't be the priest he had been about to kill, the boy clearly wasn't thinking clear enough to put up a barrier, besides what were the chances of someone that young being able to do this? It couldn't be the same priestess that had created that barrier around the temple, as that barrier was still up, even though there was a bigger barrier around it. Stupid woman, trying to protect the temple when the whole village was already protected. Or was it?
 
With a mind to find out how strong this barrier was, Balasi raised his sword and swung it at the green wall between him and the riches he so rightfully deserved. The barrier stopped his swing, but for a moment there it felt like it was giving way slightly. Desperate to prove to himself that he wasn't imagining things, Balasi swung again, grinning as he completed the move. There was no doubt about it, the barrier definitely gave way slightly this time. Whoever was doing this had clearly bitten off more than they could chew. If they had created a barrier around just themselves, or even a building like the priestess in the temple, they might have been able to hold it until after the siege on the town was over. Instead they had tried to protect the whole town, and that mistake would cost them.
 
“Attack the barrier men!” Balasi called out to his fellow bandits in glee. “It's already starting to fail slightly, if we all attack it won't be long until it falls.”
 
The words were barely out of the evil man's mouth when another, very angry sounding voice could be heard.
 
“Iron Reaver, Soul Stealer!”
 
Before Balasi could even voice the question on his mind, as to what the fuck was that, he had his answer. Several golden beams of light fell seemingly out of the sky, hitting almost all of his men. The bandits who were unfortunate enough to be hit didn't even have time to scream as the beams literally ripped them into pieces, what was left of them falling into messy piles where they had stood.
 
Looking to the sky in horror, Balasi saw the very thing he had feared to see. The God Inuyasha landing on the ground in the front of him, as if from a great leap. For all that Balasi knew, he could have very well leaped down from the heavens themselves.
 
The God growled in the direction of the remaining bandits, and Balasi knew with certainty in that moment that his life was now over. He was right, as without a single word the God released the same attack on the few that survived the first strike, and they knew no more.
 
Inuyasha stood panting for a few minutes, furious about what he had arrived home to. How dare those filthy bustards attack his village. He was almost sorry he had killed them so fast, he should have taken more time to ensure that they suffered before they died.
 
Inuyasha was abruptly pulled out of his dark thoughts by a frantic voice calling out.
 
“SANGO!”
 
***
 
Upon seeing her God and love arrive back and take care of the bandits that had threatened their home, Kagome almost wilted with relief and instinctively let her barrier fall, she didn't have time to celebrate though, as a frantic voice calling out the name of her best friend caused a shell of ice to form around her heart. Oh god, Sango! How could she have forgotten?
 
Spinning around, Kagome saw Kohaku crying over the bloody body of his sister, as Kaede sat over her, sporting a deep wound on her shoulder, her eyes grave. Amazingly, the guardswoman was still alive, but it was clear that she would not be for long.
 
“I'm sorry child, but there is nothing anyone can do.” Kaede said gently to Kohaku, causing the already crying boy to break out into another round of tears. Sango was the last of his family, once she died he would be all alone. He truly wished he had been the one to die, not her. He would gladly change places with her if he could.
 
“No!” Kagome cried out, falling at Sango's other side. “No, it's not too late, not yet, I can save her.”
 
“Kagome…” Kaede tried to say, trying to let Kagome know that there were somethings even the best healer couldn't fix. It was a hard lesson, Kaede knew, especially when it was someone close to you, but one every healer had to learn.
 
“No!” Kagome said again, only this time she seemed more calm, and seemed almost to be looking inwards as she placed her hands on Sango's still bleeding wound. “I can save her. Just not in the way you've taught me.” Almost before she had finished talking the same green light that had formed the barrier appeared around Kagome's hands only this time it somehow seemed softer and more gentle.
 
“Kagome?” Kaede cried in confused alarm as the light spread, once again covering what appeared to be the whole town. But alarm soon turned to amazement as Kaede literally felt her wound start to heal as soon as the light touched her. When the light faded, Kaede was almost in shock when she saw not only was her own wound healed but so was every other wound the villagers and travellers had obtained, including the previously near death Sango, who now appeared to be merely sleeping.
 
Kaede stared at the young priestess in front of her in shock, she had never heard of spiritual powers like this before. She was about to say so, when to her horror Kagome collapsed back into a pair of waiting arms.
 
***
 
Kagome had no idea how she knew how to heal Sango and the rest of the villagers, but frankly right now she didn't care. Her friend would live, that was all that was important. All at once, Kagome became extremely dizzy and started to collapse until she suddenly found herself cradled in a pair of very familiar arms. Looking up, Kagome smiled as she saw Inuyasha looking down on her with a proud and slightly awed expression on his face. Kagome was so happy to see him, and so happy that this horrible day had seen such a wonderful ending that she smiled and snuggled back into his arms more. She was tired and just wanted to sleep. In fact she was about to do just that when a angry female voice suddenly screamed.
 
“You fucking whore, what trickery was that!?!”
 
AUTHOR'S NOTES
 
Yay, the chapter is finished. I've been typing almost non stop for over an hour. Funny how I've been trying to write this chapter for days, then suddenly the ideas just pore out of me in one evening.
 
Sorry if the battle scene was a little basic and ending quickly. I'm still not very good at writing them. At least I think I got the tension of the scene across the way I wanted.
 
Sorry if I had people worried about Sango, but I promise I wouldn't really kill her off. Not this early on in the story anyway, LOL.
 
Hope you liked this chapter, coming up next the aftermath of the battle, and who screamed that insult out (like there's really any doubt).