InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Dog Gods & Mortals (new version) ❯ Chapter 11

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

DISCLAIMER: I'll make this short and sweet. 'Inuyasha' and all characters involved belong to Rumiko Takahashi and not to me. Any questions? No? Good, now on with the story.
 
Author's Note: This chapter takes place mid autumn.
 
CHAPTER 11
 
“You fucking whore, what trickery was that!?!”
 
The angry and hurtful words were enough to snap Kagome back to full alertness. Struggling to sit up, Kagome stared in shock at Kikyo as the elder priestess stalked up to where she was being held by Inuyasha, the equally shocked villagers scattering to get out of the angry priestess's way.
 
Kikyo was beyond furious as she marched up to the whore priestess that was still resting in Inuyasha's arms like she had the right to be there. She was so enraged she had completely forgotten the repeated warnings Miroku, her aunt and even Inuyasha had given her about her attitude towards Kagome. She simply didn't care about anything right now accept exposing Kagome as the fake that she was.
 
Kikyo had naturally been as surprised as anyone else in Ergos when the bandits attacked, seeing as ever since Inuyasha had taken up residence in the village's temple Ergos had become the safest place for miles around. That bandits would choose today, the one day the God was absent, to attack seemed too much of a coincidence, and Kikyo had wondered if this was some kind of a test of Inuyasha's. Well, if it was a test than she Kikyo would raise to the occasion and show how much more power, how much more a priestess, she was in comparison to Kagome. The best way to do that, of course, would be to protect the temple as naturally Inuyasha would want that protected above all else. So she used all of the training and power she had to engulf the entire building in a strong and powerful barrier that no one could penetrate. That would keep the temple safe, and would please Inuyasha. It was kind of hard to concentrate with those lowly villagers begging her for help, but she managed to tune them out and focus her energy on the barrier. Silly villagers, thinking that she had time for them when she had to keep the temple safe. They should accept their fate to die at the bandits' hands if that was what the Gods willed, she didn't have time to worry about them. Right now was her chance to prove herself to her beloved God, and no dirty commoners were going to stop her. Trickier to ignore was that idiot Hojo. She'd forgotten that he was also inside the temple that morning, working on that trash he laughingly called `poetry', until he came up behind her and started telling her that she should lower the barrier and help the villagers. Like she was going to listen to that idiot, he was so stupid and pathetic she didn't even really consider him a priest anymore, just the temple's gardener. Plus, everyone knew he had that pitiable little schoolboy-like crush on Kagome, and would no doubt like to see the whore show her up. So, she ignored him as well, best as she could as the boy got more and more annoying and reaching the point where he was shouting in her ear. But she wouldn't be the priestess she was if she hadn't learnt to shut out distractions and so not even he was able to break her focus on her barrier in the end.
 
It had been working beautifully, if Kikyo did say so herself. The bandits did try to break through her barrier, but they quickly moved on to easier prey once they discovered that this was not happening, realising that Kikyo was too strong for them. Kikyo had of course been keeping up the barrier just in case any of them tried to get into the temple again, but it looked like she had succeeded in keeping the temple safe. She was so pleased with herself.
 
That is, until that whore had stepped in and showed her up with that lousy trickery of hers. Kikyo was a very powerful priestess, with years of training under her belt. So she knew what she was talking about when she said that what that slut had done was impossible. No one could simply pick up and throw away enemies with a barrier, just as there was no way one priestess could create a barrier big enough to protect an entire town. Especially since Kikyo had been keeping tabs on what Kagome had being doing ever since she came to the temple in order to better know what kind of a threat she was, and knew for a fact that Kagome had not receiving any of the necessary training to create even the smallest barrier. Kikyo had been completely flabergastered by this, although she thought she had an answer when Inuyasha just happened to return mere seconds later to dispose of the bandits. For some reason Inuyasha must have been helping Kagome by lending the whore his powers or some such thing to make the villagers like her more. Maybe he was ensuring that when he decided to officially announce that he was taking her as his wife that people would already consider her a kind of demi-goddess or some such thing. She didn't know, but when Kagome `magically' healed everyone in the village, she knew she was right and just had to speak up and expose this before the whore got her way.
 
“You fucking whore, did you enjoy you're little show?” Kikyo demanded as she stopped before where Kagome was half laying on the ground, pretending to be exhausted. “Get up and stop the act, I know that wasn't really your own power. No priestess has that kind of power, it must have been Inuyasha's and you just pretended it was yours. How many nights did you have to sleep with Inuyasha to get him to agree to help you with you're little charade, slut?”
 
There was a universal gasp of shock from all directions as Kikyo made her announcement, whether from Kikyo's accusations of trickery or that the God and so-called priestess were sleeping together Kikyo neither knew nor care. All that mattered was that she now had everyone's undivided attention, and that the slut was staring up at her slack jawed with shock.
 
“Didn't think I knew that you two were sneaking around, did you?” Kikyo asked with a sneer. “Well, I will say that I wasn't surprised, I knew who were a power hungry slut from the minute I lay my eyes on you.”
 
“Doesn't that better define you, Kikyo?” Kohaku asked angrily coming to the defence of the one who had saved his sister's life. He didn't know if Kikyo was telling the truth about Kagome and Inuyasha, but the truth was he didn't care. He was sure that Kagome's powers were no trick and besides that, Kikyo had been prejudiced against Kagome for so long that you couldn't really trust anything she said in regards to the younger priestess anyway.
 
“Shut up brat.” Kikyo yelled, before turning back to Kagome. “No priestess has powers like that, you must have used some kind of trick. Don't think I don't know what you're doing, trying to make me look bad so that Inuyasha takes you for his wife when we all know that he should take me! I'm so much better suited for him than a slut like you. I'm powerful and beautiful and I don't need to throw myself at men to get what I want. You, you're just a fake who seduces men to get what she desires, first Prince Naraku, then Hojo and most of the other weak minded men in the village, then you decided to turn your sights onto a actual God. Well your game's up now slut, so why don't you just crawl back to whatever hole you came from…”
 
“KIKYO, THAT'S ENOUGH!”
 
Kikyo broke off what she was saying in shock, the voice being so loud she wouldn't have been surprised if they heard it all the way to Lorinth. Kikyo turned to look at Inuyasha, who in her anger she had actually forgotten was there. The God had at some point given Kagome over to Kaede to support (Kikyo felt another flash of betrayal that her own aunt would evidently side with the slut over her) and stood up. He was now standing there with his head down, his hands fisted so hard that his knuckles were white and Kikyo half expected a trickle of blood to be leaking from where his claws had punctured his skin. The god was practically radiating fury, more that Kikyo had ever seen before, even the day when he had threatened to throw her out of the temple if her attitude did not improve. Suddenly, Kikyo was actually afraid, wondering if she had gone too far.
 
Inuyasha had to take several deep breaths before he said or did anything, for fear that otherwise he would kill Kikyo right then and there. How dare she speak that way about his Kagome?! Not to mention she was attacking his own honour in front of the whole village and so many visiting worshipers. Enough was more than enough, Kikyo had more than crossed the line. This was unforgivable.
 
Taking another deep breath, and trying to emulate a little of Sesshomaru for the moment so as to stay in control, Inuyasha looked up at Kikyo. He felt a small pang of satisfaction when she flinched as their eyes meet and he sensed the growing fear in her aura. Good, she should be afraid after that crap she'd been spouting.
 
“Everything you have just said was a load of crap Kikyo.” Inuyasha growled. “That show of power you just saw came from Kagome and Kagome alone. I believe I told you months ago that Kagome had great, untapped spiritual power within her? Well, now it has been realised. I always knew she might one day be able to harness her powers like this, which was just one reason why I was happy to take her as my priestess in the first place. Granted I wasn't expecting it to all be realised so soon or all at once, but that is what happened. What's more, she is not the first priestess to show such power. It is rare that one mortal has so much power, granted, but there have been cases in the past where one has. One example that comes to my mind is one of my father's former High Priestess, her powers were actually very simular to Kagome's, and my father was very proud of her. It has been over five hundred years since her death, yet my father still sometimes brags about her to other Gods. That you would claim that I leant Kagome some of my own powers to put on an act like that Kikyo, is an attack not only on Kagome's integrity but my own, and is unforgivable. I would never do such a thing and I certainly wouldn't put so many people's lives at risk for such a show, and I don't for a second believe that Kagome would either even if she could.
 
“But that is not the only unforgivable thing you have said today Kikyo.” Inuyasha said, his voice becoming more menacing still. “Your repeated attacks on Kagome's character by you calling her a slut and a whore come to mind. You had already been warned about throwing around such unfounded accusations. Kagome is the farthest thing in the world from a slut. In fact she has the purest heart I have come across in over a century. She is no whore Kikyo, not mine or anyone else's. Just become you put men off, I think says way more about your own personality than Kagome's.”
 
Kikyo started at her God's insult, and bristled again when she heard some people in the crowd snicker slightly. She was about to say something in her own defence when it became clear that Inuyasha wasn't finished speaking yet.
 
“Another thing Kikyo.” Inuyasha said, now looking a little disgusted. “Where the hell do you get off accusing Kagome based on a rumour I have denied over and over since I got here. Do you think I was joking when I repeatedly denied all accusation that I was on earth to find a wife? Do you think I was lying when I told you myself that I don't know how such rumours started but that they were completely unfounded? Are you accusing me of being a liar now, on top of being a pimp and a con artist? Because that's what it sound like to me, and I in no way like it. Besides, even if, and I stress if, any of that were true, no force in heaven, earth or the underworld could make me marry a self absorbed, conniving, shallow bitch like you. Right now, all I'm seeing from you is the absolute worst features of humanity Kikyo, and nothing to compensate for it. I've been far too generous with you in the past, because when I first came to earth you were a good woman and a good priestess, but it seems that that side of you is long gone by now and there is very little chance of it ever coming back.”
 
“One more thing Kikyo.” Inuyasha said, just realising something. “Where were you while all the fighting was going on? I know your powers are strong enough that you could have helped.” He really just wanted to give Kikyo what was coming to her, and then get Kagome back to the temple for the rest she deserved, but now that this had occurred to him he wanted an answer.
 
“Protecting the temple, of course, like any good priestess should have.” Kikyo said, straightening herself up. She couldn't believe she was getting attacked like this after everything she had done for him, but she was not going to stand by and let her dedication to the temple be attacked.
 
“Protecting it how?” Inuyasha asked suspiciously, noticing that more than a few faces in the crowd looked annoyed with Kikyo's answer for some reason.
 
“By placing a barrier around it that kept out all of the bandits.” Kikyo said proudly, only to be answered immediately by another voice that sounded angry.
 
“As well as all of the villagers who needed sanctuary,” Hojo said as he made his way through the crowd, albeit politely it wasn't in his nature to push and shove after all. Not that he needed to, as the villagers were more than willing to make way for the polite young priest. Once Hojo was at the front of the crowd he bowed to Inuyasha and continued speaking.
 
“My lord, me and Kikyo were both inside the temple when the attack started. By the time I made it to the front steps to see what was going on and if there was anything I could do to help, Kikyo was already there with her barrier raised. It did keep out the bandits true, but it also kept out the villagers, many of which were just outside the barrier begging Kikyo to let them in. Kikyo ignored them completely. I tried to talk to her, to get her to let them in but she ignored me too. I didn't understand my lord, and I still don't. I know I am not the best priest, my lord, but is it not part of the temple's duties to offer sanctuary to those who need it?”
 
“Oh shut it garden boy, what do you know?” Kikyo snapped, sick of everyone criticizing her.
 
“Apparently more than you.” Inuyasha said, once again growing angry at Hojo's tale. When the young priest had come up to Inuyasha, obviously angry the god had been surprised. Hojo did not anger easierly, but after hearing what he had to say Inuyasha could not blame him for being upset with Kikyo. “Hojo's right Kikyo. I'm the God of Protection for the love of heaven. My temples have been sanctuaries for those who need it for hundreds of years, and there is no doubt in my mind that the villagers needed it today, yet you refused them entry. I don't know what you were thinking, but it was a direct affront to everything I stand for as a God. That alone could get you the punishment I am about to deliver on you, let alone all your other transgressions. You have been warned too many times Kikyo, and are all out of second chances.”
 
“My lord?” Kikyo asked, scared. He wouldn't, would he? She was too good a priestess, surely he wouldn't…
 
“Kikyo, I'm officially expelling you from my priesthood.” Inuyasha said firmly, much to Kikyo's horror. “I'll let you stay in the temple tonight, but tomorrow I want you and your belongings out. After you leave you are forbidden to ever step foot in any of my temples again, either here or in any other city. If you do so and are caught, I will leave it to the High Priest or Priestess of the temple in question to do with you as they wish. I did not want to have to do this Kikyo, but you have ultimately left me no choice. Your actions for the last few months, and even more so today have forced my hand.”
 
He did. Kikyo couldn't believe this. He had really brushed her aside for some dirty commoners and that slut. Kikyo clenched her jaw in anger, her inner rage making her go cold inside.
 
“As you wish my lord.” Kikyo said with a stiff bow. “I will go pack my stuff then.”
 
Kikyo turned and headed back towards the temple, cold anger surrounding her like a cloak. She could not win today, but she swore that one day she would get her revenge on those who brought this humiliation down on her.
 
***
 
Despite the impromptu celebration in the village that night (brought on due to the fact that thanks to the help of Inuyasha and Kagome the village survived the bandit attack with no loss of life on the villagers side and surprisingly little in the way of property damage), the mood in the temple was extremely tense. Miroku of course was not in residence, still having not yet returned from his trip to the southern market. Kohaku was also not there, having opted to spend the night in his family home with his sister. Although he knew logically that Kagome had healed her, the shock of seeing his beloved sister so close to death had rattled the boy and he didn't want her out of his sight for the moment. That left Inuyasha, Kagome, Kaede, Hojo and the disgraced Kikyo.
 
Kikyo was extremely bitter about being kicked out of the priesthood, still feeling as if she had done nothing to deserve such treatment, and was letting everyone know with dark glares and low muttered comments. Her attitude got even worse when it become clear that none of the villagers were willing to help her move out of the temple by giving her a horse or cart or anything (they were fed up with her too, especially after the scene she had caused today). This meant that she couldn't reasonably expect bring anything more than what she could carry with her, which in turn meant that she would have to leave most of the treasures she had accumulated from her stay at the temple behind. Kikyo was almost as unhappy about this as she was about being expelled in the first place. She had gotten used to living a rather luxurious lifestyle lately, and didn't want to give that up. It was going to be hard enough for the disgraced former priestess to build a new life for herself as it was, and having to leave behind so many valuable items took significantly away one of her biggest advantages. The fact that such things were actually given to the temple itself and Inuyasha technically had the power to demand them all back after having kicked her out didn't even occur to Kikyo.
 
Hojo on the other hand was angry with Kikyo and how she had treated first the villagers and then him. The boy was well aware of the fact that he wasn't the best priest the temple had ever had, but he tried his best and had thought that people respected him for that. Then Kikyo had to go and belittle him in public like that, like he's opinion didn't matter in the slightest. Plus, Kikyo had ignored one of what he felt was her most important duty when she ignored the villager's pleas for sanctuary. He didn't understand how she could be so callous about their lives like that. He was glad that his god evidently agreed with him on that point, but still… Kaede had much the same view as Hojo on the events of the day, only her reaction was more severe disappointment. Kaede had practically raised Kikyo since her parents died when she was ten. She had no idea where she had gone wrong for the girl to turn out the way she did, but it was clear now to Kaede that Kikyo was not willing to change her attitude anytime soon. She found that she actually agreed with Inuyasha's punishment of Kikyo, despite how harsh it may seem to some. She hoped that maybe this would do what she and everyone else in Ergos had tried and failed to do for months and make Kikyo take a good long look at herself and what she had become. Although, considering her attitude so far Kaede wasn't counting on it.
 
It was Kagome who Inuyasha was ultimately most worried about. Exhausted to the point of near collapse, Inuyasha was forced to carry her back to the temple and her small cot in her own room. In truth Inuyasha wanted to put her in his own bed, but considering Kikyo's accusations earlier he realised how bad an idea that would likely be. Not that they would be doing anything even if she was in his bed, as she fell asleep before her head had even hit the pillow.
 
While Kagome was resting, Inuyasha headed out to talk to Kaede. Now that Kagome's powers were no longer dormant, she would need training in how to handle them, or at least as much training as she could get. While certain powers like creating barriers were fairly common within priests and priestess with spiritual powers, her ability to heal was extremely rare. In truth, there had only been a few mortals who had ever had such a power, and with the possible exception of his father's former high Priestess Midoriko he was sure none of them had as much power in that regard as Kagome. This might pose something of a problem, Inuyasha knew, but they would just have to find a way to work around it. Maybe Midoriko had left some scrolls behind describing ways to control her powers or something? He would have to ask his father about that. In the meantime she could at least get training in how to handle the more common spiritual powers from Kaede and Miroku when he got back, both of them had such powers and were well trained in their use. There was also a chance, Inuyasha knew, that Kagome would never be able to use her powers to the degree that she had earlier today again. Sometimes spiritual powers were linked to emotions, and from what he had seen today this was the case with Kagome. Her powers had been realised because of the severe emotional distress she had been under earlier today, and without such a trigger it was likely that she would not be able to use so much power again. Not that it would disappear completely or anything like that, but when she used it in the future it would likely not be released to such extremes. Then again, considering how worn out Kagome was after her show of power, maybe this wasn't such a bad thing.
 
***
 
It was just after dinner that evening when Kagome woke up for a short while. Inuyasha sensed that she was awake instantly, although he could also tell that she was still very tired. Deciding he better talk to her before she feel asleep again, Inuyasha transported himself to her room.
 
When Kagome first woke up, she wasn't really sure what was going on or why she was in bed when she could tell that it was still fairly early, her mind still half asleep. Before she could wake it up fully and remember what had happened, Inuyasha suddenly appeared in her room, looking rather happy to see her. She couldn't help but smile, as she was always pleased to see him.
 
“Hey there.” Inuyasha said with a grin as he kneeled down by the side of her bed. “I wasn't expecting you to be awake until morning after that show of power earlier.”
 
Show orf power? Kagome wondered, confused. What show of… Oh! Kagome sat up quickly as the memory of everything that had happened earlier today came rushing back to her. She just as quickly found herself regretting it was she instantly became dizzy and collapsed back onto the bed.
 
“You okay?” Inuyasha asked, worried.
 
Kagome nodded, although she didn't try to sit up again. “Yeah, I'm fine, I just sat up too fast. It all just came back to me in a rush there.”
 
Inuyasha nodded, accepting her answer. “Well, I have to say I was very proud of you today. I hope you don't mind but I asked Kaede to help train you to use your spiritual powers now that they've awakened. You did great today, but it was mostly instinct, which is partly why you're so tired now. If you get training you can better control your power and it won't wear you out so much.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Makes sense.” She said softly, her mind mostly on something else.
 
Inuyasha frowned, sensing that his love was bothered by something. “Kagome's what's wrong? If you're upset about what Kikyo said earlier don't be, she didn't know what she was talking about.”
 
“Didn't she?” Kagome asked softly. “She was right about us…”
 
“No she wasn't.”
 
“She wasn't?” Kagome repeated, confused.
 
Inuyasha nodded firmly. “No, she wasn't. She said that you were my whore, which you mostly certainly are not, never was and never will be. You are my love. There is no comparison between the two. Everything that bitch said was born out of jealously and some over inflated ideas about what she deserved. Don't you give her another thought.”
 
Kagome couldn't help but smile. “Okay I won't. How is it that sometimes you can't get a sentence out without tripping over your own tongue, but other times you know just what to say?”
 
Inuyasha grinned. “Don't know, it's just the way I am. Anyway, you better get back to sleep, I know you're still tired. I'll see you in the morning, okay love?”
 
Kagome nodded sleepily, knowing that Inuyasha was right about that too, she did need to get to sleep. With a final smile at her God and love, she rolled over and returned to the land of nod.
 
***
 
Miroku was in good mood when he arrived back in Ergos around midday. It had been a profitable trip to the market, and he had secured everything he felt the temple would likely need for the next few months at least. He'd also been happy to notice a real lack of bandits on this trip, always a plus. Right now he was looking forward to getting home, having a good hot meal and maybe spending some time with his beloved Sango. He wondered how she had been while he had been gone. Oh well, he'd be able to see her and ask her himself soon enough.
 
Miroku spilt off from the other men from the village whom he had been travelling once he got within sight of the village, with him heading towards the temple and them towards the village proper. Following them with his eyes, he couldn't help but notice that there was some damage done to a few of the buildings in the village. He wondered if it had been caused by the recent storms or something else. At least the damage didn't seem so bad and people didn't appear to be too worried about it. The temple itself at least seemed to be in as good condition as it was when he left, he noticed with a smile.
 
He was still looking the temple with a smile when Kikyo walked out of the doors with a large bag slung across her on her back. His smile faded somewhat at this sight of his least favourite member of temple staff, but he decided that it was better to remain polite and friendly. It would not do it get into an argument first thing after he got back.
 
“Good morning Kikyo.” Miroku said in a somewhat jovial tone of voice. “Would you like me to help you with that?” He asked, gesturing at the bag which seemed to be a little to heavy for her, thinking he should be a gentleman about it.
 
“Oh, sure, rub it in why don't you, bastard?” Kikyo hissed at him. “Like I don't already know how happy you are about this, just like the rest of those ungrateful arseholes, never appreciating me and what I do. All you care about is that whore. Well, you'll all be sorry in the end, you'll all realise that all along I was and always will be the best.” With that Kikyo angrily walked past Miroku and headed down the path out of town without another look back.
 
Miroku blinked after her, before heading up the steps into the temple. He left the temple goods in the cart outside for the moment, just until he could get some help moving them in. One good thing about having a god actually living in your temple, you never had to worry about local people stealing from you.
 
When he entered the temple, he was greeted by another surprising sight. Inuyasha and Kaede were helping Kagome, who looked extremely tired and like she had she had just got out of bed despite the late hour, over to their meal table while Hojo ran around apparently looking for something for her to eat. Kohaku was nowhere to be seen. As if sensing his presense, the four looked as one over at Miroku as he entered through the door, and the High priest was struck by how serious all of their faces looked.
 
“Okay.” Miroku said slowly. “What did I miss?”
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTES
 
And that is another chapter done. Judging from the reviews I've been getting, many of you are currently dancing around singing `ding dong, the witch is dead' or something simular, but I'm going to warn you not to celebrate yet. Kikyo will be back later in the story with a new mission in mind. However, that will still be a while off, I've got quite a few other bits and pieces I want to get into the story before I bring her back. Just thought I'd give you some warning and hopefully save myself a few `how could you?' comments when I bring her back.