InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Oh, No! Not Another AU?! ❯ Explain ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Edited 7/28/04

~*A/N: *bounces in* Ta da! I'm back! Here's another chapter for all of you wonderful people! Enjoy!*~

DISCLAIMER: *throwing random objects around the room* I swear I had it here somewhere... *taps chin thoughfully with forefinger* Hmm... Guess I lost it.

Chapter Five: Explain

Inu-Yasha squeezed his eyes shut, bracing himself for the screams to come. What came next wasn't exactly what he was expecting. "Kawaii!" Kagome squealed, reaching up to tweak his ears. He looked at her through one squinted eye, feeling hands on his ears. Opening his eyes fully, he reached out and took each of Kagome's arms in a clawed hand, forcing her to release his ears.

"You didn't scream," he murmured, golden eyes wide with shock.

Suddenly, Miroku appeared behind him, his hair loose, dripping rivulets of water down his body. A towel was clutched in one hand, holding it in place around his waist. "What's wrong? I heard the yelling, and then Kagome sort of squealed, so..." he trailed off, taking in the site before him. Standing between the two beds in the room stood Sango and Rin, clutching each other's arms, eyes wide with shock. Kagome was in front of Inu-Yasha, face expressing contemplation. Inu-Yasha's back was to him, his hands gripping Kagome's wrists, his ears twitching around on top of his head. 'His ears... oh, shit...' Miroku thought, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder, breaking the spell.

Inu-Yasha released Kagome, turning to Miroku. "Miroku, why are you half-naked? And dripping wet?" came Rin's innocent question. Inu-Yasha looked down, a smirk tugging up the corners of his lips.

Miroku flashed his most charming smile at the girls, "As I was saying, I heard yelling. Then I heard Kagome sort of squeal, so I ran out to see what was the problem. Shippo was sound asleep, and the door was open, so I assumed Yash here was harrassing you ladies, and ran to your rescue."

Sango snorted, "That still doesn't explain why you're leaving a puddle on the carpet."

"Or why Inu-Yasha has puppy-dog ears!" Rin piped up.

"Ano, I just got out of the shower. And as for the other, perhaps you ladies would join us in our room? Inu-Yasha and Shippo can explain while I dry off and get dressed," Miroku suggested, charming smile still in place. The girls looked to each other hesitantly, and for a minute the boys worried they wouldn't agree. Then they all nodded in unison, and Kagome turned to the anxious boys.

"Sure! I can't wait to hear this one," she smirked, following the boys next door, Sango and Rin behind her. Upon entering the boys' room, Miroku headed for the bathroom, and Inu-Yasha closed and locked the door behind them. Kagome stopped cold upon seeing Shippo asleep. Inu-Yasha noticed, and again braced himself for their screams.

"He has a tail? How come I never noticed that before?" Inu-Yasha opened his eyes at Rin's question.

'Aren't these girls the least bit afraid?' he asked himself, crossing the room to wake Shippo. Shippo growled at the disturbance, bearing fangs, his emerald eyes open to little slits. Recognizing the three feminine faces around him, he jumped, the tail disappearing.

"Where'd it go?" Rin pouted, and Shippo noticed she was staring at his butt. A blush spread across his cheeks.

"Where'd what go?" he asked sheepishly.

"Your tail," Sango commented, crossing her arms, her gaze suspicious.

"Just what is going on here?" Kagome asked bluntly.

Inu-Yasha sighed, sitting on the bed next to Shippo. Miroku exited the bathroom, clad in only a pair of black sweatpants, his damp hair secured in its customary ponytail. Sango's eyes lingered a little too long on his toned bare chest, a blush creeping up her face. Awareness of her own state of undress struck, and she began fidgeting with the hem of her tank top.

Upon returning to their room, Rin and Sango had found Kagome angrily throwing her clothes as she changed into her pajamas. The girls loudly voiced their frustration with the moody teenagers as they all changed into their sleepwear. Sango was dressed in a black tank top and black pajama pants with stars on them. Kagome wore a white tank top over blue scrub pants. Rin had put on an over-sized pink t-shirt and neon green boxers. Shortly after they had all changed, Kagome had thrown one of her combat boots at the wall, and Sango had yelled at her to keep the noise down. Next thing they knew, there was a knock at the door. Inu-Yasha's deep sigh snapped her attention back to the present.

"Well, I guess I'll start, since these two don't seem to be inclined," Miroku spoke, breaking the silence. "Kagome, earlier you asked why we chose the name we did. Now you have your explanation."

Kagome cocked her head to the side, idly twirling a lock of hair around a finger. "So, he's a hanyou," Kagome said, pointing to Inu-Yasha, "and he's a youkai," now pointing at Shippo, "and you're a ningen."

"At least she's pretty quick on the uptake," Inu-Yasha muttered, studying the pattern of the carpet.

"You're a youkai?! What kind?" Rin bounced on the bed next to Shippo.

"Ano, a kitsune, and I can shape-shift, so I can hide it most of the time. Unless I'm asleep, like tonight," he answered, analyzing the hyper girl bouncing next to him.

"Sugoi! Can you change into anything else?" she asked eagerly.

"Anything you want," Shippo grinned, shaking his head. 'And I thought I was hyper.'

Rin stopped bouncing, putting her forefinger to her chin in thought. "How bout, a kitten?" she suggested, eyes shining. Shippo cocked an eyebrow, before disappearing from her sight. Feeling something rub against her leg, Rin looked down and saw an orange tiger-striped kitten crawling into her lap. "Sugoi! Totally kawaii!" Rin squealed, picking up the poor kitten and holding it close to her face. "But the tail's all wrong," Rin frowned, looking at the ball of fur where a long tail should have been.

"Ah, Rin, you may want to put him down so he can change back," Miroku suggested, an eyebrow cocked in amusement.

"Oh, gomen, Shippo-kun," Rin blushed, setting the kitten back on the bed. In the blink of an eye, Shippo was again sitting next to her, a smile threatening to split his face.

"So, what are your special powers, Inu-Yasha?" Kagome taunted.

The boy looked up, smirking at her. "Strength, speed, hearing, and smell. Speaking of smell, when's the last time you took a shower?"

His smirk grew as her fists clenched at her sides. "Baka! I showered this morning, for your information, just as I do every morning!" she fumed.

"Maybe we should go before Kagome does anything violent," Sango said, placing a hand on her friend's shoulder. Kagome turned her head and glared.

"You may be right, Sango-chan," Rin said, sliding from the bed and heading to the door. Sango took Kagome by the arm, who glared daggers at her friend as she was pulled to the door.

"Matte," Miroku called out, halting them. "You have to promise not to tell anyone."

Kagome stopped glaring, nodding to him. Her friends followed suit, unlocking the door and closing it behind them. Miroku let out a breath he hadn't known he was holding, and flopped down on the other bed. "That was a close one," Shippo muttered.

"Feh, stupid bitch. If she hadn't been making so much damn noise, this never would have happened," Inu-Yasha stood, crossing to his nest and flopping down.

Miroku sat up, supporting himself on his elbows, cocking an eyebrow at Inu-Yasha. "If you had taken your own advice and thought before you acted, we wouldn't be in this mess. You better be nice to Kagome, or she may reveal your secret in a fit of rage."

Inu-Yasha gaped at him, "Be nice to that wench?" He looked to Shippo for help, but the kit had once again fallen asleep. "Feh, whatever," Inu-Yasha crossed his arms, turning his face away in a pout. Sounds of Miroku moving in the bed caught his attention, and he turned his head to see the teen under the covers, his breath already falling into the even rhythm of sleep. Scowling, Inu-Yasha rose and re-locked the door, hitting the light switch on his way back to bed. 'Why do I always get blamed for everything?' he asked himself, sprawling out on the floor. He lay for awhile, listening to the breathing of his friends, before sleep finally came to him.

~*A/N: Not much to say, just more chappies on the way! Ja ne, minna!*~