InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Oh, No! Not Another AU?! ❯ What's So Good About It? ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Edited 7/28/04

~*A/N: These chapters are just rolling right out. Enjoy!*~

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing. Except for this Suncoast calender full of useful coupons!

Chapter Six: What's So Good About It?

Rin pounced onto Kagome's sleeping form, chanting, "Wake up, Kagome!"

"Mmph, sleeping, go 'way," Kagome mumbled into her pillow. She rolled over, pushing Rin off of her. Rin rolled to the side, sitting up.

"No chance, Kagome-chan," Sango said, pulling the covers off of Kagome.

With the warmth of her covers gone, Kagome shivered. An eye opened sleepily to glare at her smiling friends, "You're truly evil, you know that?"

"Hai. Up, now. Breakfast is served in an hour, and I don't think you want to go looking like that," Sango laughed at her friend's sleep-ruffled state.

Kagome sat up, rubbing sleep from her eyes, and stumbled to the bathroom, grumbling the whole way. Rin giggled, "She's never going to be a morning person."

An hour later found the girls walking through the lobby to the banquet room where breakfast was served. Today, Sango was dressed in a pink tank top that exposed a few inches of skin over the waistband of her baggy black cargo pants. The worn toes of her black sneakers peeked out beneath her pant legs. Rin skipped happily, her arms swinging with upward motions. She wore a yellow tube top over blue jeans, combat boots colliding with carpet lightly with each step. Kagome trailed behind, the frayed bottoms of her camo cargo pants dragging behind her scuffling sandaled feet. Her black muscle shirt read "I don't know what makes you so dumb, but it really works!"

Upon entering the room, they saw Shippo waving them over to a table energetically, the fabric of his over-sized grey t-shirt flapping comically with the motions. He hitched up the waistband of his baggy blue jeans before sitting back down. Sango and Rin took seats across from the boy, and Kagome plopped into the seat between them. "Ohayo, Rin, Sango, Kagome," Shippo chirped out, pouring syrup over a stack of pancakes almost bigger than the boy himelf.

"Ohayo, Shippo-kun," Rin replied, smiling, as she pulled a few pancakes onto her own plate.

"What's so good about it?" Kagome grumbled, pouring coffee into her cup.

"Ohayo. Where's Inu-Yasha and Miroku?" Sango asked.

"Last I saw, Miroku had dragged Inu-Yasha into the shower, and had turned on the cold water. When I left the room, Inu-Yasha was chasing Miroku around, getting everything wet," Shippo giggled, stuffing a forkful of pancake into his mouth.

"Ohayo, ladies. I trust you slept well," Miroku slid into the seat next to Shippo, a smile plastered on his face. He wore a short-sleeved black shirt with flames along the bottom unbuttoned over a wife-beater and baggy black jeans.

"Speak of the devil," Sango muttered, spreading cream cheese on a bagel.

Inu-Yasha plopped into the seat on the other side of Shippo, reaching for the carafe and mumbling something that sounded like, "Coffee."

Everyone except Kagome turned to the boy, and burst out laughing. His silver-white hair was dripping wet, drops of water darkening spots on his wife-beater and the legs of his baggy khaki cargo shorts. A black baseball cap was pulled over his wet hair, shadowing his eyes. The sharp tip of one fang was visible as he growled at them. "Looks like Kagome's not the only one who doesn't like mornings," Sango spoke between laughs.

"I didn't think anyone was as irritable as Inu-Yasha in the morning," Miroku said, pouring himself a glass of orange juice.

"Ohayo, Inu-Yasha," Rin smiled happily, shoving a forkful of pancake into her mouth.

"What's so good about it?" Inu-Yasha grumbled, dropping an ice cube into his coffee.

"We forgot to tell you, don't speak to him until he's had at least one cup of coffee," Miroku warned, taking a bite of his blueberry muffin.

"Same goes for Kagome," Sango warned in return.

"I don't know what their problem is, I love mornings," Shippo bounced in his seat.

"Ohayo, minna!" came the voice of the announcer over the loud speaker. All conversation in the room stopped, the only sound was of silverware clinking against plates. "It's time to list the results from yesterday's battles." His announcement was greeted by murmuring. He held up a hand for silence before continuing, "The results will be posted outside the doors after breakfast. No pushing or shoving, onegai. We don't want any of you too injured to perform in the next round. Congratulations to those who made it, and to those who didn't, better luck next year."

The crackle of the speakers abruptly shut off, and the roar of conversation returned to its previous levels. "I can't wait to see that list," Rin chirped hopefully.

"Feh, why bother. Even if you did move on, we're gonna win," Inu-Yasha finally spoke.

Sango glared at him, "Says who? You may play popular songs, but we actually have talent."

"And we don't?" Shippo looked up from his plate, his expression crestfallen.

"Ano, er, I-I meant, well," Sango stammered.

"Of course you do," Rin reassured him. "Sango was just being mean."

"Ie, she was being honest," Kagome spoke, glaring at the hanyou across the table.

"You wouldn't know talent if it bit you in the ass," Inu-Yasha smirked at her.

"And you wouldn't know talent if it was staring you in the face," Kagome replied, leaning forward to do just that.

"Feh," Inu-Yasha said, slumping back in his chair, arms crossed over his chest. "Say what you want, we're still gonna beat you."

"So, Shippo," Rin spoke, breaking the tension at the table. "Today's a free day, since round two won't be until tomorrow. Did you guys have anything planned?"

"Ano," Shippo looked thoughtful, "I'm not quite sure."

"Well, since we don't live here, we're not quite sure what there is to do. Perhaps you ladies would like to be our tour guides for the day," Miroku said, charming grin in place.

Sango snorted, "I'm sure you'd like that."

"Sango-san, if I didn't know better, I'd believe you didn't want to spend the day with me," Miroku gave her his best pout.

"Kagome, what do you think?" Rin said, turning to her friend. Kagome didn't respond, just continued her staring contest with the hanyou across the table. "Well, it's settled then. We'll meet here for lunch, and then go from there?"

"I suppose," Sango muttered.

"Sounds fine to me. What do you think, Yash?" Miroku asked, turning his attention to his friend. Just like Kagome, he didn't respond, his glare shooting to the girl across the table.

"Then it's agreed! See you at lunch!" Shippo piped up, standing from his chair. The others followed suit, all except Kagome and Inu-Yasha, still caught up in their glaring match.

"Kagome-chan?" Sango hesitated, calling out.

"Hai," Kagome mumbled, never turning her eyes.

"We're heading back to the room. You wanna check the list for us?"

"Hai."

"Yash, you wanna do the same?" Miroku asked.

"Hai," Inu-Yasha answered.

"We'll see you back in the room then," Miroku called over his shoulder, turning to follow the three who were already halfway to the door.

Minutes crept by, and the two teens continued to stare each other down silently. Suddenly, Kagome slammed a hand down on the table, standing and yelling, "Ha! You blinked!"

Inu-Yasha rubbed his tired eyes, then glanced around the nearly empty ballroom. "Where'd everyone go?"

Kagome stopped in her victory dance mid-step, looking around. Other than themselves, the only people in the room were the hotel staff, cleaning up the tables. "I can't believe they left me here! Without saying anything!"

"Ano, I remember agreeing to check the list," Inu-Yasha offered, "wanna tag along?"

Kagome stood there pondering. Suddenly, a lightbulb lit up over her head. "Oh, yeah!" she yelled, racing for the door. She stopped a few feet away, turning to call over her shoulder, "You coming?"

Inu-Yasha grumbled something about "bitches always in a damn hurry", shoving his chair back from the table. He got up, dragging his feet as he followed her. After walking through the doors, they were almost pushed back by the crowd of eager people waiting to check the list. "Why did I agree to do this?" Inu-Yasha asked, turning to Kagome. "This is your fault," he growled, pointing to her.

"My fault? How is it my fault that there were so many people entered in the competition?" she asked, her voice filled with irritation.

"If you hadn't challenged me to that damn staring match, I never would've agreed to check the list."

"Don't blame me for your lack of attention!"

"Whatever," Inu-Yasha said, pushing through the crowd to the front, leaving her in the back. Kagome stood there, waiting not so patiently in line. A few minutes later, she hadn't moved an inch. Inu-Yasha appeared in front of her, smirking. "Gomen, Kag. Better luck next year," he smirked, walking to the elevators.

"Nani? No way," she said, ducking down and squeezing between people until she was in front. 'At least being small has its advantages,' she thought, running her finger over the list. It slid over 'H.Y.N.', coming to rest a few names down on the word 'Tama'. "Lying bastard," she mumbled. 'Good thing Sango and Rin weren't around to hear that,' she thought, making her way out of the crowd. What she had read hit her like a bag of bricks, and a smile threatened to split her face in two. "We made it!" she squealed to herself. Realizing she was alone, and that people were giving her odd looks, she paused and regained her composure. Sticking her tongue out at them, she headed towards the elevators. As she approached, she noticed Inu-Yasha leaning against the wall, waiting for the elevator. His back was to her, and an evil smile spread across her face.

"You lying bastard!" she yelled, standing on tip-toes to get as close to his ear as possible. She got the desired result; Inu-Yasha jumped in shock, whirling around and grabbing her arm, growling at her.

"Don't ever sneak up on me like that again! Got it, bitch?" he snarled, his claws digging into her soft flesh.

"G-g-got it," Kagome stammered out, her eyes filled with fear.

"Good," he smirked, releasing her arm as the elevator doors opened. "By the way, you owe me a quarter," he said, turning and entering the elevator.

"Arg! You, you," she fumed, fists clenched at her sides.

"Coming?" he stuck his head out of the elevator, holding the door open with his hand.

"Hai!" she yelled, stomping into the elevator and standing as far from him as possible. He laughed at her obvious discomfort, crossing the otherwise empty elevator to stand next to her.

"Nani?!" she snapped, her already thin patience growing thinner.

"I'm just waiting for my quarter," he breathed, his voice low and seductive. His breath against the skin of her neck made her shiver ever-so-slightly. He noticed her breathing become more rapid and shallow. He grinned, thinking, 'I really do intimidate her. This is fun.' He was just about to run a claw down her bare arm, when the 'ding' of the elevator signaled their floor.

Kagome practically ran from the enclosed space, stopping after a few feet. She turned, her arm extended, hand in a fist. Inu-Yasha stepped towards her, a brow cocked in confusion. He held out his hand to have her drop something in his palm. He looked down. A quarter. He looked up, grinning at her back as she rounded the corner. He flipped it into the air, catching it and whistling to himself as he sauntered towards his room. He stopped a few feet away, feeling feminine arms wrap around him from behind. "Inu-chan, congratulations," a sensual female voice cooed in his ear.

"Kikyo," he muttered, removing her arms from around him and turning to face her. "Thought I recognized you as one of those skanks shaking their asses onstage last night."

Kikyo pouted, tucking a stray lock of hair behind an ear. She was dressed in a baby blue halter top and short white shorts, flip-flop sandals on her feet. "You know I'm only doing it because I knew I'd see you here," she said, trying to look sexy while pouting.

Inu-Yasha snorted, "Yeah, sure. Didn't you get the hint when I never asked you out? Or when I told you to stop calling me? The last thing I need is a little slut hanging all over me," he said, turning back to the door.

"Matte," she called out, halting his hand on the doorknob.

"Hai?" he asked, attempting to restrain the impatience in his voice.

"Ano, I thought, maybe we could spend the day together?" her voice was small, hopeful.

"Gomen, I already have other plans," he smirked, hoping that the guys could come up with something for him to have planned. "Go hang out with your little skanky friends, or that baka who thinks he's a sex symbol," he said, entering the room and closing the door before she could reply. He leaned back against the door, closing his eyes and sighing. 'That was close.'

"Yash! Don't tell me we didn't make it?!" Shippo squealed, vaulting off the bed towards the door.

Inu-Yasha opened his eyes, momentarily confused. Miroku and Shippo looked at him expectantly. "Oh, that. Did you ever have any doubt?" he smirked.

Shippo hooted, and Miroku smiled, but didn't forget Inu-Yasha's first words. "'That'?" Miroku asked, cocking an eyebrow. "What else did you think we were referring to?"

Inu-Yasha's smirk fell into a sneer as he spat out the name, "Kikyo."

Shippo stopped his current victory dance, his eyes wide. "Kikyo? Kikyo, 'The Stalker', Kikyo?" he squeaked.

"She's here?" Miroku's jaw hit the floor.

"Hai. She just trapped me outside the room," Inu-Yasha sighed, crossing the room to sit on the bed.

"What's she doing here?" Shippo asked.

"She was one of those skanks Miroku was oggling while they 'danced' onstage last night," Inu-Yasha grumbled.

"I feel dirty now. I think I need another shower," Miroku said, running to the bathroom.

"Don't take too long! We still have to decide what song to do tomorrow!" Inu-Yasha yelled.

"Must get clean... must get clean..." Miroku's voice could be heard chanting through the door. Inu-Yasha stared at the closed door in confusion, while Shippo collapsed onto the floor in a fit of giggles.

~*A/N: Sorry about the whole Kikyo thing, but you had to have seen it coming. And if you didn't, well, I'm just plain sorry for you. Anyways, another hour, another chapter. Onward! Ja ne, minna!*~