InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Leash: Emancipated ❯ Quenching the Thirst ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Nope. Still don't own Inuyasha.

A/N: Ok, this is going to be a collection of asides you didn't get to see in "On a Leash" due to time constraints and length. These one-shots will have no particular order, and will moreover be short, but I will always state what chapter(s) time frame they are from and a summary.

This first one takes place when between Chapters Four and Five (A Canine's Slight Dilemma and A Much Worse Place).

Summary: Kagome sees firsthand that Inuyasha is smarter than the average dog....

 

[Uploaded: November 16, 2004]

 

Quenching the Thirst

 

         &nb sp;  Kagome sighed as she entered the house, sliding the front door behind her. "I'm home," she called without enthusiasm. No response followed, so, with a shrug, the girl slipped her loafers off and stowed them in the shoe rack.

She knew Souta was spending the night at Kohaku's, Grampa was probably out playing chess with his elderly friends, and Mama was probably still out grocery shopping.

         &nb sp;  She was glad it was finally Saturday. School had been a half-day. Even so, that Trig test had just about killed her, Kagome was sure of it. Forty-five questions in half an hour...

         &nb sp;  Her teacher had to be insane....

         &nb sp;  Rubbing her temples, she mumbled to no one in particular, "I think I'm gonna have a snack and maybe watch some TV for once." She sighed. "And then I have to take Inuyasha to obedience school tomorrow...." Exhausted, Kagome padded to the kitchen when she stopped in the threshold to watch Inuyasha.

         &nb sp;  Her dog had stalked into the room, looking-if it were even possible-quite annoyed. He paced back and forth in front of the sink, seemingly in thought. He rose to stand on his hind legs and then placed his forepaws on the metal of the sink.

         &nb sp;  Kagome simply watched in fascination as one of Inuyasha's paws batted at the flipper-like knobs and a cascade of water rushed out of the facet. Inuyasha's clawed rear paws ticked to and fro as he adjusted his height before stretching his neck out and lapping from the descending fall.

         &nb sp;  Seemingly satisfied, the dog slowly reversed before dropping back to all fours and trotting out of the kitchen, going right past Kagome. She swore she could hear him say, "Next time, fill the dish up before you go. I'm not drinking out of the toilet, twit."

         &nb sp;  The girl blinked disbelievingly. Kagome was seriously questioning whether Inuyasha needed dog training. Had her dog honestly just turned on the water and drank from it?

         &nb sp;  She stood quiet in the doorway, pondering.

         &nb sp;  Now she knew-her dog wasn't stupid, but...

         &nb sp;  "He didn't even bother to turn the water off!"

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N: I told you these were going to be short. I really couldn't find a place for it, but I thought it was funny. Anyway, getting back to Chapter 32...

 

Moonlight Shadow