InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Leash: Emancipated ❯ Some Light Reading ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hey, all. I know some of you might be a little confused, so let me say it one more time: this is a one-shot and drabble spot for 'missing' scenes from On a Leash. If you haven't read OaL, then you need to read that before you read these.

 

This one also takes place during Chapter Five (A Much Worse Place).

 

Summary: If Kagome thought that the first time was just a fluke, she sees that her dog truly is exceptional...or just very, very strange.

 

Uploaded: December 1, 2004

 

Some Light Reading

 

         &nb sp;  Kagome yawned slightly, stretched out on the couch in the living room. "Now this is what I call leisure... It's the perfect Sunday to kick back and relax." She'd endured her very first dog-training lesson with Inuyasha and that awful Kaeko-woman. (Wasn't Kaeko supposed to be mean 'obedient child' or something like that?). And Kagome used the word 'endured' for a reason: it seemed that Kaeko had been trying to train her rather than Inuyasha. And-excuse the pun-she was dog tired.

         &nb sp;  But now, she was in the safety of her own little shrine-home with Grampa bumbling about the house, muttering something about someone being "late...very late..." Maybe his latest order of magic charms hadn't arrived yet; if anything was normal about Gramps, he was punctual.

Souta was still at Kohaku's, doing homework together like they did nearly every weekend, and wouldn't be home until late afternoon.

         &nb sp;  Sighing contentedly, Kagome nibbled on the warm sugar cookie in her hand-Mama had just made a batch and she had been fortunate enough to be the official Taste Tester. The tantalizing scent still teased the air, which added to Kagome's respite.  

         &nb sp;  Even so, there was a really good novel she had just started reading sitting up in her room. It was a wonderful book about dragons, knights, and all manner of curious, magical ventures. Demons or not, the novel was still captivating and continued to surprise her with each supernatural turn of the page.

         &nb sp;  Getting up, her cookie finished, Kagome toddled up to her room. Going over to her desk, she searched for her book before finding it lying on the floor. "That's weird..." she said to herself, crouching to retrieve the fallen tome, only to notice three others books littering the space around it. She blinked in surprise as she gathered her Trig study guide, her copy of Macbeth, and her English textbook.

Kagome glimpsed around the room for a possible culprit. Inuyasha sat near the window, scratching an itch on his neck with hind foot. "Maybe Buyo knocked them off...." For being a cat, Buyo wasn't exactly petite and graceful, so it wouldn't be too far of a stretch.

         &nb sp;  Shrugging, Kagome set the trio of books on her desk. She paused for a moment, musing whether she should lay on her bed or the mats in her room. Kagome settled with lying on her stomach on the mats. Flipping to the bookmarked page, she began to excitedly read the next chapter of the book.

         &nb sp;  As the young man was learning to tap into his magical powers, Kagome felt something cold press against her wrist. To her right was Inuyasha with a very pensive look on his mug as he sank to his belly, his odd gold eyes seemingly not leaving the page either.

         &nb sp;  With a shrug, Kagome went back to her book before quickly turning the page, the excitement rushing through her veins. Then a slightly wet, black snout pushed the page back to the previous one. Kagome only quirked her eyebrow at her dog, muttering, "Weird," before carefully flipping back.

         &nb sp;  Just as Kagome found her paragraph again, the page was shoved back once again by Inuyasha-this time with his paw.

         &nb sp;  "Uh, do you mind?" she found herself asking. He rather glared at her so she glared back. "I'm done with that page."

         &nb sp;  "And I'm not, wench. Deal with it."

         &nb sp;  Kagome waggled her head. I could've just sworn I heard someone say 'deal with it'... With a sigh, she caught Inuyasha glaring at her again. "What? Are you finished now, Your Highness?" Inuyasha barked at her and Kagome reached a hand to pinch the bridge of her nose. He's a dog, Kagome... He's probably just jealous of the book getting more attention than him... Coming to that decision, she went to her original spot and continued to read.

         &nb sp;  And, when it came time for her to turn to the next page, a furry, white paw inhibited her movements.

         &nb sp;  Kagome found herself locking gazes with her dog again. "Off," she said, pushing his paw off.

         &nb sp;  Inuyasha growled and slapped both paws on, gaze narrowing a bit more at her until they went to the book. "Not my fault you fucking speed-read. Wait your turn."

          &nbs p; She knocked his paws off and turned the page.

         &nb sp;  He pushed it back and smacked his paws on again.

         &nb sp;  Paws off, turn the page.

         &nb sp;  Turn the page, paws on.

         &nb sp;  Shove.

Off, turn.

         &nb sp;  Slap.

Turn, on.

Shove.

         &nb sp;  Off, turn.

         &nb sp;  Slap.

Turn, on.

         &nb sp;  Shove.

         &nb sp;  Off, turn.

         &nb sp;  Slap.

Turn, on.

Shove.

         &nb sp;  Off, turn.

         &nb sp;  Slap.

Turn, on.

With a sound of defeat, Kagome's hands flew up in the air. "You're impossible, Inuyasha. Sheesh. I'll just read it later when you're not being so weird." She stood up, shoved his paws off once more, and placed it on her desk again before walking out.

         &nb sp;  "Hey wait!" yelped Inuyasha. "Now I have to try and get it down again..." he trailed off before lifting his hind leg to chafe his neck again. "Right after I finish scratching..."

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N: Another slightly pointless, but funny, one-shot. The book I was alluding to was Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Excellent book.

 

Moonlight Shadow