InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Time ❯ In on the Secret ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sango looked up as the two entered the restaurant; the one where they had invited 'Kikyo' for lunch. She was surprised to see that the mood between the couple seemed.....well.... much, softer. The last time the two had been seen in here, it had been the civil war all over again.
 
Only much, MUCH scarier.
 
Today, though, they seemed to have come to a compromise. Good, she mused to herself, they seem to compliment each other very nicely. Even if KIkyo is actually....
 
As Sango rolled the information in her mind, Miroku stood up from his seat next to her. "ah, Inuyasha and Ka-Kikyo, so glad you could make it."
 
Inuyasha snorted. "Drop the formalities and get to the point."
 
Miroku blinked, unfazed. He gestured towards the two chairs on the other side of the table. "Take a seat, then."
 
Kagome nodded her head and sat down. Inuyasha followed suit.
 
"Well, how should I say this..." Miroku mumbled to himself. He couldn't very well say, 'hey, you two are living together, aren't you? Why didn't you tell us you were the princess?'
 
No, that wouldn't work. This information was BIG.
 
Inuyasha tapped a claw on the woodwork in front of him impatiently. Without even thinking, Kagome reached out and stilled the annoying sound with her own hand. Inuyasha jerked his hand away so abruptly, it might've looked like Kagome's touch had burned him.
 
Kagome just went back to waiting for Miroku to say something. Sango, however, wasn't going to wait around.
 
"So, Kagome, how long have you been out here?" she asked softly.
 
Kagome frowned for a second. "What do you mean how long have I-"
 
Wait. Sango had just called her Kagome, right? Um....uh.....uh-oh.
 
Miroku sighed. "You don't like to beat around the bush, do you, dear Sango?"
 
It was Sango's turn to tap the table impatiently. "You beat around the bush too much, Miroku. The bush will die before you get around to the point."
 
"Can't argue with that one," the man agreed.
 
"Whoa, whoa, hold it right there!" Inuyasha shouted, drawing just about everyone else's attention, "how'd you figure out she was the pr-"
 
Miroku lunged and tackled Inuyasha; they landed in an unceremonious heap next to the sprawled chair. Embarrassed at being taken by surprise, Inuyasha shoved the offending human off. "Get off me!"
 
He couldn't really do much to salvage his pride other than stomp out of the place in a huff. The others watched him leave silently. Miroku got up and dusted himself off nonchalantly.
 
"That was close. One day, we really need to teach him to be more discreet."
 
Sango nodded. “Yes, he almost revealed it in the most talkative area in town.” She indicated the people who had been staring as Inuyasha was tackled to the ground.
 
Kagome bit her lip worriedly. "Do you think it's alright to let him go off on his own like that?"
 
Sango waved off her comment as she ushered her out the restaurant. "Don't worry, he's a big boy. I'm sure he can handle himself."
 
Kagome nodded absently as Miroku apologized to the owner for causing such trouble. As the man hurried to catch up, Kagome looked at Sango and whispered, "How'd you find out? I mean, you won't tell anybody, would you...?"
 
Sango smiled at her. "Don't worry, Kagome, Miroku and I won't tell anybody. After all, what are friends for?"
 
Kagome sighed in relief and beamed. She was getting warmed up to the idea of having friends. Sango and Miroku both didn't seem to be bothered by her station or nobility. The awkwardness Kagome had expected didn't come. She liked it very much.
 
"Thanks, Sango."
 
"No problem. I wouldn't want to put you in danger or anything...."
 
"No, not for that. For using my name, even though you know who I am now.”
 
Sango paused for a second, then nodded with a smile. Kagome smiled back happily, her depression earlier forgotten. Now that her friends knew, maybe Kagome could really start over.
 
Sure, she'd miss the finer things in life, but this was really all she ever wanted. Real friends, hard-earned money, and a place she felt that she deserved.
 
As Miroku fell in step beside Sango, the flurry of activity and whispering passed through the crowd. The threesome stopped to see what was catching all of the people's attentions like this.
Kagome peered towards where the commotion was coming from, and could see announcers bearing the royal seal. They were hurrying through the streets, through the crowds of people that were parting like water, and were shouting at the top of their lungs.
 
Kagome's face became ashen as she began to hear what they were saying.
 
"The king, the king! The king and the prince have ascended! The king and the prince have ascended! The king, the prince are dead…......"
 
Kagome felt light-headed all of a sudden. What did it mean....? That her father and brother were gone? Oh no...Souta.....
 
Sango, shocked into silence, stared horrified at Kagome, who seemed to be rooted to the spot. Miroku gulped and dragged the girls out of the way before they were run over by the messengers. As the announcers hurried past them, Kagome heard them shout one more thing before she passed out.
 
"Long live queen Kagome!"