InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Time ❯ Growing Problems ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Hey, sis, wanna take my place in the meeting today?
 
As a princess, your duties lie with the nation.
 
Many things, happen child, but you will just have to accept them.
 
Kagome heard voices in her head, but they seemed to be blending together, crossing over each other and distorting themselves in her brain. She struggled to make sense of them, but she only caught phrases that made no coherent thought by themselves.
 
Do you think we could……?
 
……….only because you put in a good word……
 
The moon isn't as beautiful as you…..
 
Kagome, get up…….
 
Goodbye, princess……
 
…..so naïve……
 
Kagome, get up!
 
Kagome's eyes snapped open. Sunlight flared into her vision; she winced and closed her eyes again. The noise around her was deafening, yet she was still somehow able to hear Inuyasha's anxious voice: “Kagome? Kagome, you just blinked! Open your eyes, woman!”
 
Kagome opened one eye to peer into the concerned ones of Inuyasha. It warmed her heart to see that he was worried. Why was she lying down in the street again….?
 
Reality came crashing down on her as she regained the memories of what couldn't have been more than a few moments ago. With some difficulty, Kagome stemmed the tears that threatened to flow and sat up. Inuyasha, seeing that she was okay, retrieved his stoic expression and stood up, glaring down at her.
 
“Why is it that every time something big happens, you faint?”
 
Before Kagome could respond, Sango, who had been kneeling down next to her, stood up and heatedly shot back, “How can you be so heartless, Inuyasha? You heard what happened, and frankly, I wouldn't have blamed her if she woke up three weeks from now!”
 
Inuyasha crossed his arms and huffed. “So? People die every day. She's going to have to get used to it if she plans on living out here.”
 
“Inuyasha! Why you stubborn mule….!”
 
“Now, now, dear Sango, this is no time to banter with pack mules. We have more important matters on our hands at the moment.”
 
Ignoring the hanyou's shout of indignation, Miroku offered a hand so that Kagome could get up. Not trusting her own legs at the moment, she gladly took the assistance. She felt shaky, and her heart was threatening to close down. She had been so fond of her little brother….
 
They had played games when they were younger, when Sota was the prince and Kagome was the princess who was being guarded by the dragon. The big, ugly, fire-spewing brute of a monster they called `the enemy' had, in fact, another name for himself.
 
Koga.
 
Sota was one of the only ones who agreed with Kagome that Koga wasn't right for her. They used to plot on ways to make him look stupid so that their parents would call off the marriage. It had been childish, and wouldn't have affected the engagement in the least, but those times were one of her precious memories of her sweet little brother.
 
She swallowed a lump in her throat.
 
Now it would be the only things he had of him…..
 
As for her father, Kagome didn't know what to think. She hadn't been able to spend as much time with him as her mother or brother, but he was still family. She dreaded to think about what her mother was going through right now. Kagome felt relieved that she, at least, had been spared from death.
 
Come to think of it, how had her father and brother…..died…..?
 
Ignoring the pain in her heart that resulted from the word `died,' she concentrated on evaluating her kin's health problems.
 
Sota had always been allergic to garlic, but it only resulted in a rash or a stomachache; nothing too serious. Her father had been in a perfect health condition, besides the stress of being a ruler.
 
What had happened? Something didn't seem right.
 
“Um, Kagome….?” Sango waved a hand in front of Kagome's face. She blinked, then focused back onto her surroundings. All three were looking at her with speculation, and two of them mixed with sorrow and pity.
 
“You okay….?” Sango asked again.
 
Kagome sighed and smiled sadly. “I guess I won't be attending their funeral….”
 
Miroku looked around before lowering his voice, so that only the two women could hear. He knew that Inuyasha would have no trouble picking up his words. “Might I suggest we discuss our initiative in a more private place?”
 
All four looked at the busy crowd, some of whom were starting to look at them with annoyance. It was obvious that the foursome were causing some minor discomfort among the traffic of people. Kagome nodded in agreement.
 
“Yes…Miroku, might I suggest your office…..?”
 
Without a word, Miroku took Inuyasha by the arm and started to lead the way. The girls trailed behind, Sango putting a reassuring hand on Kagome's shoulder. “It'll be alright, Kagome. We're all here for you.”
 
Despite the situation, Kagome managed a genuine smile. At least she didn't have to deal with this by herself. She wished she could say the same for her mother.
 
----the palace----
 
To say that Kikyo was a bit irritated would have been a major understatement. Things were moving way too slow for her liking, but, out of respect, she couldn't do anything to speed it up. She cursed the royal traditions with all her heart. Why did they have to do everything so slowly? That would be one of the first things she changed when she took the throne.
 
A week.
 
It would take a week to prepare for the funeral of the king and his son; far too long for Kikyo to be satisfied. They were dead; they didn't need respect! As far as she was concerned, that would be just two less mouths to feed.
 
And then, of course, the crowning ceremony. By rights, the princess was next in line to the throne, not the queen of the deceased king. Kikyo was reveling in her soon-to-be glory, wondering what to do with all the power that she would soon have sitting in her lap. The only downside was that the crowning ceremony was another two weeks after the funeral procession.
 
Very irritating.
 
Kikyo heard a soft voice from behind the closed door to her chambers, “Princess, her majesty wishes to see you.”
 
Kikyo sniffed disdainfully. For the next three weeks, she would be the subordinate, but after that, it would be her being addressed as `your majesty.' She would deal with the queen when the time came, but for now, she told herself, just go along.
 
Composing herself, she opened the door and walked out into the hallway, continuing down as servants scurried back and forth, but pausing long enough to show their respects to the heir of the throne. She barely bet back a grin.
 
As she entered the throne hall, she could tell that the queen was the only one in the room. She sat regally, her hands clasped in her lap, with her mouth drawn in a thin line. Her eyes were dark and puffy from crying, and her clothes were dark and simple; traditional garb for those in mourning.
 
Kikyo curtsied lightly and asked, “you wished to see me, mother?”
 
There was no way that she would call the woman `your majesty.'
 
The queen looked Kikyo up and down, her eyebrows furrowing disapprovingly. “You are not wearing your mourning dress, daughter.”
 
Kikyo looked down at herself. Purple was the closest thing to black, as far as she was concerned. There would never come a time when Kikyo would wear something as ugly as the mourning dress she was supposed to wear. It had mysteriously disappeared near the kitchen furnace the night before.
 
“I do not have to wear dark clothing to be in mourning, mother,” Kikyo said calmly.
 
“But it shows the people that you care, Kagome,” her mother said gently. Kikyo didn't appreciate being talked to like a child.
 
“I do not have to show the people anything. If they want an example of mourning, let them set it themselves,” Kikyo said stoically.
 
The queen paused, and her eyes grew sad. Kikyo didn't notice the suspicious underlying tone of her `mother's' voice. “You have changed, daughter.”
 
Kikyo shrugged. After all, she couldn't hold on to the idiotic, naïve façade forever. She bowed stiffly to the queen before turning and walking back out. Just before she reached the door, Kikyo looked back at her, with cold eyes.
 
“Perhaps I have.”
 
As the tall double doors slammed shut, Kagome's mother sagged against her chair. Her indifferent expression melted away to be replaced with a grief-stricken expression, as if the grief of the whole world had fallen on her shoulders.
 
Which wouldn't be exaggerating her situation in the least.
 
She had lost both her husband and her son to death, and she felt as if she were losing the kind and loving daughter she had once known.
 
What will become of this kingdom…..?
 
 
---in the streets---
 
Miroku's office was one of the nicer buildings in the district. It was a fairly large brick building, and even had a wall for an extra measure of security. His office room was neat and tidy, with rows and rows of books lining the walls. He led them into the room, closing the door behind them, and bade them to sit down on the comfortable-looking sofas against the walls. He himself took a seat in the chair behind the big wooden desk.
 
Clearing his throat, he began, “This has become very serious, as I'm sure you all are already aware. If Kagome really is the princess, and Kikyo has indeed passed as Kagome's copy, than the enormity of the situation has increased tenfold….”
 
“Cut to the point, monk,” Inuyasha growled. Miroku glared at him.
 
“I'm only trying to assess the facts, Inuyasha. Now, where was I….?”
 
Kagome spoke up. “There's nothing to be assessed. Kikyo will get the throne, disguised as me. Once there, she'll be free to do whatever she wants, and no one will be able to stop her.”
 
Sango nodded in agreement. “Yes, and that would be bad for Kagome. Who knows what Kikyo might do, posing as Kagome? She could do anything she wants, and all the arrows thrown her way will land on Kagome.”
 
Kagome shook her head. “As long as she's in the castle, SHE is Kagome. If people criticize `Kagome,' they will be referring to Kikyo's behavior, not mine.”
 
Inuyasha crossed his arms and glared at the floor. “There is no way I'm letting that witch get the crown without a fight.”
 
“Hey, you guys, wasn't I supposed to be the one leading the conversation here?” Miroku complained.
 
They all looked at him. Kagome smiled at his pitiful expression. Sango wasn't buying it.
 
“You take too much time. By the time you're done assessing your facts, we'll all die of old age.”
 
After a moment of thought, she added, “Or we might just die of boredom.”
 
Inuyasha snorted. “Couldn't have said it better myself.”
 
Miroku looked at Inuyasha, mock surprise on his face. “Inuyasha, did you just compliment my lovely wife? Since when have you been so generous to us, your humble friends?”
 
Inuyasha sunk low into his seat. “Shut your mouth before you regret it, you lech.”
 
Miroku, totally unaffected by the threatening tone, turned to wink at the bemused Kagome. “He really has changed since you came along, you know. Before, he always used to go around with a nasty scowl on his face, insulting bystanders, bumping passersby, and generally disrupting this peaceful town. I mean, compliments from him are like the palace dishing out free food for everybody in town!”
 
Sango flinched at the last statement, but Kagome didn't seem to be offended. “Was he really that horrible?”
 
Inuyasha, at whose expense Miroku was joking around, sat up and yelled indignantly, “Hey!”
 
Miroku grinned at his friend and aimed another wink at Kagome. “He only wants to show you his good side, you know.”
 
A growl and a blush rose from the Hanyou, and he promptly leapt at Miroku, who ducked out of the way and started running around the office. Inuyasha chased after him, trying uselessly to quell the redness of his face.
 
Kagome was blushing, too, mostly because she was pleased that Inuyasha wasn't denying it. Sango, as if reading her thoughts, smiled and whispered, “He can't lie for his life.”
 
Kagome didn't doubt it.
 
Miroku jumped and hid behind Sango, cowering against her as Inuyasha advanced upon him. It really was a comical scene, and Kagome had to laugh.
 
Her father and brother were dead……but who could stay depressed for long in the company of such good friends?