InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Question ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer:  I don’t own InuYasha or any of the characters therein.  They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!

Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.


One Question

Chapter 1


0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

She poured herself a glass of apple juice. She had a feeling deep within her stomach that today was going to be one of those days, and just as she was about to open up the paper to get a good look at the days headlines, her phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hey, how are you?”

She could hear the excitement in her sisters’ voice.

She let out a laugh, “fine, I suppose.Just getting ready to read the paper,” she submitted.

She heard a little excited shriek on the other line, “Well hurry up! Look at the front page!” Her sister exclaimed.

She flipped it over and about dropped the phone, “You’re engaged! How come you didn’t tell me!”

She wasn’t really upset with her, but this was something she definitely wanted to know.

“I know! I’m sorry!” her sister explained, “I wanted to tell you so badly, but at the same time, I wanted you to be surprised! Aah!” She yelled excitedly.

“Haha, well I am glad you’re happy. I am so happy for you, but… who is this Koga…?”

Her sister took in a deep breath, and then said a name she never thought she would hear again, “He is one of InuYasha’s friends.”

She felt like the phone would leave her hand, “InuYasha,” she crooked out.

“Yea, I know. I didn’t mean for this to happen that way, but… Koga is such a nice guy, and I think I deserve that… you know?”

She closed her eyes. After everything that happened, InuYasha was the last person she thought she would ever see, but she knew that her sister was genuinely happy, and she could not help but be happy as well.

“I know. You deserve happiness,” she told her.

“Great!” Her sister piped up again, “then I have one more thing to bring by you…”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“ Yeah, congrats. I just read it.”

The irritation was in his voice. This whole situation was just not making sense.

“Yeah. I didn’t mean for you to find out this way, man, it just sort of happened,” he felt his hand tighten around the phone.

“Just sort of happened? What the – You know the history between us, and how come you never thought to tell me!”

There was a long pause, and a deep breath.

“Listen, I know that the whole situation sucked. I know that it hurt you, but… it was like four years ago! You have been with like a billion girls since then. You never bring her up, and so I thought –”

“You thought what? That you would ask me to be your best man! You are such a –”

And then he let out the biggest laugh.

“InuYasha?”

His friend asked, “is everything alright? Did your brain just explode?”

“Koga, you are such a dickhead, but I was just messing with you.”

“InuYasha, you are –”

“Yeah, there are a lot of words to describe me, but there is a meeting I got to go to, so …”

And all that was left to the call was silence.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“So, will you do it?”

She took in a deep breath, that feeling in her stomach only getting worse, “of course.”

“Great! We have a dinner scheduled tonight, you know, so everyone can get to know each other,” her sister told her.

She cocked her eyebrow, “well isn’t that a little… unneeded...” she tried to search for the right word.

“Unneeded, how?”

“Well I am the only one that doesn’t know everyone, and I can meet Koga anytime.”

Her sister let out a laugh, “Well, you haven’t met InuYasha either.”

Her eyes widened, “Oh, yea, sorry I forgot. Well I guess a dinner is just perfect,” but she couldn’t hide the sadness in her voice.

“What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing,” she chimed, diminishing any doubt that she was lying.

“Okay, but only if you are sure,” she told her, hesitant to let it drop.

“Yep, all good.”

“Okay, oh, I almost forgot!” Her sister sounded flabbergasts, “do you think Ariana can be the flower girl?”

Her breath caught in her throat.

“Ariana?” She almost couldn’t get her baby’s name out.

“Well, yeah, I mean… I know it is not a Japanese tradition for a flower girl, but I thought I would have a western wedding.”

“Oh, I see.”

“So,” her sister asked clearing the silence.

“Mommy?”

She turned quickly around to see her precious baby girl.

“Is that Ariana?” She heard her sister ask.

“Yes, honey?” she called to her daughter as she placed her hand over the phone.

“Can I go and play with Shippo?”

“Sure,” she smiled, “But make sure you stay in the yard!” she called after her, making sure the busy girl heard her before she got too far away.

“Sorry, your little niece is a handful sometimes,” she joked to her.

Her sister chucked, “well, she might be, but she is the cutest niece ever,” her sister played along, but they both believed it to be true.

She let a smile cross her lips, “I think that Ariana would love to be the flower girl in your wedding.”

“Oh, thank you!”

“It is a pleasure, so what time is the dinner?”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0


̶ 0;Listen, InuYasha, I wasn’t done talking to you!” His friend yelled as he came into the room.

He waved his hand away, “was it something important?”

Koga smiled, “Well, not what I was going to call you, but what I was going to ask you sure was.”

InuYasha looked up at him, “ask me…?”

“Will you be my best man?”

InuYasha looked at him shocked, “me?”

“Who else is in this room?”

“Well damn! Of course!” He told him as he reached out his hand to give him a hand shake and then gave his friend a hug.

“Well, what do we have here?”

The men both turned, “Koga is getting married,” InuYasha announced.

“Yes!” The man exclaimed.

InuYasha and Koga just looked at him as if he had lost his mind.

Noticing this, he decided to clear the confusion, “well that means strippers are in our imminent future,” he told them with a smile.

InuYasha and Koga looked at each other before laughing at their perverted friend.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

After the meeting was over and everyone heard the news, InuYasha thought it was the best time to just go home and go for a quick jog before the dinner tonight.

For some reason, ever since he found the news out, it was bothering him. It wasn’t that he would want his friend to neglect his own happiness, but at the same time, he had a feeling that he shouldn’t have. A feeling that should have been long gone.

Jealousy.

‘Do I?’

He couldn’t bring himself to ask the question. It just wouldn’t be possible to still have feelings for her after five years, but here he was, and he felt so out of place suddenly. As if it was that night five years ago.

~~~~~~~~FLASHBACK~~~~~~~

“So, you are just leaving? Why can’t you just let her do what she wants?”

She could feel the betrayal in his voice. It sounded so much like her only a few hours ago. She shook her head, “You don’t understand everything, and you might not ever understand it all, but this is what I have to do.”

InuYasha shook his head, “then I will come too.You guys can use a man to protect you. You can’t go to a new country… knowing nothing and expect to be fine.” He told her stubbornly.

Kikyo smiled sadly at him, “You know I love you right?”

He smiled sadly back at her, “and you know I love you.”

~~~~~~~~END~~~~~~~

“She just left without me,” he said bitterly.

He still didn’t understand how she could just leave him. “She told me she loved me. Did she even mean it?”

This whole situation was just too weird for him.

Maybe the feelings that he still harbored weren’t jealousy, but he did want answers. He deserved answers, “and I am going to get them.”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0


He walked into the restaurant and as soon as he saw her, it took his breath away.  She looked just as beautiful as the last time he saw her.  She was wearing a dress that looked like what the girls in America would wear, definitely not Japanese.  Her blue eyes focused on him, and she made her way towards him, “Oh InuYasha,” she said as she gave him a hug.  “I am so sorry for how I left things five years ago.  It was a very difficult time for my family.”

He smiled sadly at her, although he did want more of an answer, “it’s understandable.  We were so young then.  It feels like an eternity ago.”

She smiled in agreement, “I knew you were a great man.  I just forgot how amazing you are.”

He felt his heart quiver.

“Now, let’s not get too close you two,” Koga came over and put his arm around Kikyo.

InuYasha cleared his throat.  He wanted to punch Koga, but why?  

When he saw Kikyo it felt as if no time had passed at all.  As if she had never left.  As if he had never –
 
“Here she is,” Koga announced.

InuYasha turned and saw a girl wearing scrubs with her hair up in a bun and glasses, “She looks familiar somehow.”

Hearing him, Kikyo laughed, “Well, that is my sister.”

InuYasha looked back at Kikyo, and then at this girl that entered.  To him, they looked nothing alike, “sister?”

“Yeah,” she smiled.  “Remember, I showed you that picture when we were still dating.  I told you she was the smart one.”

InuYasha nodded his head lightly, recalling something about that whole conversation, “right.”

“Come here you,” Koga called to her as he embraced her in a hug.

Seeing this, InuYasha cringed.  The entire time Kikyo and he were dating, he never once met her sister, and here Koga was acting as if they were family.

The girl smiled, “Hey Koga.”

InuYasha noticed that she seemed a little awkward.

“It’s good to meet you,” Koga said to her.

InuYasha just looked dumbly at Koga, “You are just now meeting her?”

Koga turned towards him, “Well yea, she just moved back here… what was it babe, a month ago?” He asked Kikyo.

“It was three weeks ago,” he heard Kikyo’s sister answer.

“Right,” Koga smiled at her.  “Three weeks too long.”

Kagome laughed, “I suppose it was too long,” and then she turned to Kikyo.

“Kikyo,” Kagome called as she embraced her sister in a hug, and Kikyo returned the sentiment.

“I have missed you sister,” she replied.

“And I as well.”

“So, where is this Ariana I have been hearing so much about,” Koga asked her.

Kagome turned concerned at InuYasha before looking back at Koga, “I left her with her grandma.  She doesn’t get to see her too often.”

“That’s the truth,” Kikyo agreed with a smile.

There was a moment of silence before Koga faced back at InuYasha, “oh, I almost forgot.  Kagome, this is InuYasha.  InuYasha, this is Kagome.”

He got a really good look at her noticing her bright blue eyes behind her glasses, and her full lips, but other then that, he really could not see the familial resemblance between the two sisters.

“Nice to meet you,” he said as he reached out his hand.

For a blink of a moment, he thought he saw a deep sadness cross her face, before it was replaced by the biggest smile, “and nice to meet you.  I apologized that we had never gotten the chance to meet before now, but what better time then this joyous occasion.”

Joyous.

That was not the word he would like to use right now.

“Yea, but at least we are meeting, right?” He asked her as he tried to hide his annoyance with the whole situation.

“Right,” she agreed, and they ended the small handshake.

“Okay, great!” Kikyo piped up. “Well, now that everyone knows each other, shall we eat?”

“Starved,” they agreed.



A/N: let me know what you all think! Oh, and I am going to try and finish my other stories.  It is kind of hard when you got no inspiration, and I was sad that I only had one multiple chapter story that was finished, and since I have been working on this one for a while, I decided to share it with all of you.  Just because ?

Hope you all enjoyed it! Leave a comment