InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Question ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer:  I don’t own InuYasha or any of the characters therein.  They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!

Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.


One Question

Chapter 2

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

She waited outside the restaurant.  All she wanted at that moment was to just go back to her apartment, ‘but you promised Kikyo,’ her mind reminded her, and it was true.  She did promise her sister, but –

And there he was.

He was about six foot tall made with nothing but lean muscle.  Even through his expensive business suit she could tell of his muscles underneath.  

She looked up at him, and he was talking on his cell.

“No, we have to get the paper work done today,” she heard him say into the device.

She watched him as his short dark hair danced with the light.  She caught a glimpse of his dark brown orbs as he made his way past her.

“Yeah, no... it’s –”

And then he was gone.  He walked right passed her.

She watched as he entered the restaurant they were all meeting, and he stopped before he came to the hostess to get off his call, and once he turned the corner, he stopped dead in his tracks.

Kagome followed his line of site and was not at all surprised to see him staring at Kikyo.  She looked breath taking, as she always managed to.

Her blue eyes were dancing in the light as she leaned over and whispered something to a man, whom from all appearances she gathered to be Koga, before she turned and saw InuYasha standing there.

Kagome turned and looked back at her cell phone.

She had the cutest picture of her daughter set as her wallpaper.  It was hard to believe that she was already almost four years old.

She closed her cell, and with one deep breath she turned toward the restaurant and made her way inside.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“So,” Koga started as they began to head back to the office.

“So?” InuYasha answered somewhat irritated.

“What do you think of Kagome?  Beautiful, isn’t she?”

InuYasha looked at Koga like he was crazy, “yeah, a real beauty queen.”

Koga laughed, “You really don’t see the resemblance between her and Kikyo? Man, as soon as I saw her I thought I was looking at Kikyo.”

“You,” InuYasha said as he began to open the office door, “need to get your eyes checked.”

“No, I am serious.”  Koga disagreed.  “Sure, they might not dress the same, or carry themselves the same, but the resemblance is there.  If I didn’t know any better I swear they were —”

“Koga,” InuYasha interrupted, “are you really going to talk about how cute you think your fiancé’s sister is.  Do you think that’s smart?”

Koga laughed, “I guess not.  I just don’t understand why she doesn’t have a boyfriend.  I tell you, if I had met her first… she would definitely be my woman.”

“I’m sure she would love that,” InuYasha answered as he rolled his eyes.

“Whatever,” Koga called to him as he went to his office and shut the door.

InuYasha came to his desk and sat there for a moment.  He had to figure out a way to talk to Kikyo without trying to seem like he was trying to steal her away from Koga.

But how.

He was knocked out of his musings as his phone rang.

He looked down and was surprised to see that the caller ID was reading Kikyo.  

Uncertain, he answered.  “Hello?”

“Hey, so, I know that we all just left each other, but I feel bad about how I left things.  Would you be too busy to meet me in like fifteen minutes at that coffee house we loved going to?”

InuYasha rubbed his head.  He didn’t know if it was a good idea to go out with his ex-girlfriend and not tell her fiancé about it.

“Come on, please.  I know this whole situation is bugging you.”

He let out a laugh, “you always knew me so well.”

“So does that mean you’ll come?” She asked him.

He could hear the smile in her voice.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

He was surprised to see that he had arrived before her.  She was always so on time.  

“InuYasha,” Kikyo said as she came through the door.

He rose and gave her a smile, “Kikyo.”

She smiled as she came and sat across from him at the little coffee house located on the corner of the bustling street.  

He made sure to get the booth in the corner where they held the art.  It was where they would always sit all those years ago.

She took in a deep breath, “so, how are you handling this.  I know this has to be weird.  I really didn’t plan it this way.  I just –”

He placed his hand over hers, “listen, it’s fine.  I mean, yeah, it’s a weird thing, and I do want some answers from you, but that’s why I am here,” he told her as he gave her a smile.

She nodded her head, “Well, I will start then.”

She took a deep breath, “I am sorry, first of all, for making you think that you could have went with me when it was not at all possible, and second, I am sorry that I never told you anything, and honestly, it is still not my position to tell you, but I do believe I owe you something, so yeah,” she told him as she gave a small laugh, knowing that everything she just said was unnecessary, but she was so nervous around him.

“Well, first of all, the reason which you know.  I left five years ago because of Kagome.”

InuYasha nodded his head, beginning to hate the fact that her little sister was the reason he lost the only girl he had ever loved in his life.

“But what you didn’t know,” she went on, “is that the reason I decided to go with her was because Kagome had found out that she was pregnant.”

InuYasha looked at her shocked, “Pregnant? By who?”

He couldn’t understand how Kagome could let something like that happen.  She looked as if she had never had sex with anyone in her life, which as of today, he knew to be contrary, but that was neither here nor there.

Kikyo shook her head, “I have no idea.  Frankly, Kagome is the only one that knew him, and she’s never told me his name.  The most I got out of her was that it was only a one night thing.  She won’t give me anything else.  Just that she met him, and she told me he wanted nothing to do with it.”

InuYasha tightened his fist, “Well whatever bad happens to him is the least of his concerns.  If I ever find out who this guy is, I will beat the crap out of him.”

Kikyo gave him a sad smile, “you and me both.”

“But I still don’t understand why you had to leave,” he suddenly asked her.  

Kikyo looked at her hands, for some reason she couldn’t bring herself to look at him, “honestly, I just had to be there for her.  She is such a deep part of me, and I know that she would have done the same for me.  Not saying that you would just ditch me, if it was you, but you know what I mean,” she told him in an awkward chuckle.  

InuYasha shook his head, “I guess I just don’t understand… did you not love me?”

This was a question he did not want to voice aloud, but deep down it was what he always wanted to know.

Kikyo looked at him with such hurt and remorse, “I did love you.  Don’t ever think other wise.”

“I don’t think I can do this,” he said as he got up from the table.  “I can’t sit here and pretend like I am okay with the whole situation.  You just left.  No call.  No letter.”

“InuYasha that was how it had to be.”

“Kikyo, I can’t pretend that it doesn’t bother me,” and then he left the coffee shop.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Kagome sat in her office.

She loved her sister dearly, but she didn’t think she would be able to be in her wedding.  She just couldn’t do it.

“I’m sorry, Dr. Higurashi,” the nurse explained as she walked into the room, “but you have a call on line one.”

Kagome quickly thanked the nurse and received the call, “Hello?”

“Kagome, you will never guess what happened,” Kagome cringed when she heard her sisters voice on the phone, knowing that she would have to break the news to her.

“Kikyo, it doesn’t look good to be accepting personal calls when I am trying to become a resident physician at this hospital.”

Kikyo brushed her off, “You are twenty-four.  Most people your age are just getting their bachelors.”

Kagome just rolled her eyes, “what’s up?”

“I met with InuYasha.”

“InuYasha, why was something wrong,” Kagome asked her confused.

“No, well, sort of.  He wants answers, Kagome.”

There was silence on the line.

“You know that can’t happen,” Kagome told her after a few minutes.

“I know how you feel about it, but he is so upset with me, even after all this time, and we can’t keep him in the dark forever,” she tried to explain.

“Kikyo, what I told you… do you not remember how everything…” she didn’t want to finish.  It was a hard time for them.

“I know.  I remember, but I can’t have him thinking things that aren’t true.   He asked me if I ever loved him –”

“And what did you say?”

“Well, I told him that of course I did.  I mean, honestly, a part of me will always love him.”

Kagome closed her eyes.

“And that is why you can’t tell him.”

“Nothing will ever happen between us.  You know that,” she told her reassuringly.

“Kikyo, you and I both know you can’t make those promises.”

“I love Koga.”

“Yes,” Kagome agreed, “but you might still have feelings for InuYasha, and we… Kikyo we just can’t chance it.”

Kikyo sighed defeated, “I know.  It just hurts me thinking about what we are doing to him.”

“I never meant for this to happen.”

“I know.  None of us did.”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

A/N: Please comment!