InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Question ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer:  I don’t own InuYasha or any of the characters therein.  They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!

Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.


One Question

Chapter 3


0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0


After the call with her sister, Kagome just couldn’t bring herself to deny her sister the one thing she asked of her, and so, her maid-of-honor duties began.

And this was not just regular duties.  Her sister had this wanton idea to get all the bridal party together every Tuesday and Thursday, and today just happened to be Thursday.

On their last meeting they met with the rest of the bridal party.  In its entirety, the party included: Miroku, Sango, Rin, Sesshomaru, InuYasha, herself, and of course the bride and groom.

And she was about to be late for this next meeting that her sister had planned.  Apparently, Sesshomaru didn’t see the need to leave his office for such ‘frivolous matters,’ as he liked to put it, so the meetings during regular office hours, a.k.a: Tuesday and Thursday meetings, were held at Takahashi and Sons Law firm, which to all the rest of the bridal party was not a big deal, but to Kagome, whose trip from Tokyo General to this building… it was about half an hours travel, which equaled time she did not have to spare.

The elevators beeped telling her that she had reached the top floor in which, the men in the wedding party offices were all held, but for the life of her, she couldn’t remember which one she was supposed to go in.

She looked around, noticing that there were only two doors closed, and the rest had no one in them, so she decided to pick the one closest to her and opened the door, but when she walked in, THIS was not what she was expecting.

“Miroku, you have to be more still!” Sango yelled to the man.

“How I am supposed to just let you put it on me like that.  I hate to break it to you, my dear, but you can be somewhat of a ruff woman,” he told her in his perverted voice.

Sango focused her eyes on him, and already Kagome could tell what was going to come next, but she decided to interrupt them, “Ummm, did I have the time wrong? Because I thought we were supposed to have a meeting.”

Sango dropped her hand which was intended for the mans’ face and looked quickly over at her, “Oh, Kagome, I didn’t even hear you come in,” she replied as she left Miroku.

“What is going on… if you don’t mind me asking?” Kagome asked somewhat frightened of the answer.

“Oh,” Sango replied as a blush crossed her face, “well let’s jut say Miroku lost a bet,” she began.

“And InuYasha and Koga tied me down,” Miroku continued.

“And we dressed him like a girl.”

Kagome turned around to see InuYasha and Koga behind her, “you have got to admit, it was funny,” Koga replied.

“Not as funny as seeing Sango man-handle him,” InuYasha finished.

“Now, I don’t see the irony in this situation at all,” Miroku whined.

“Really? You dressed like a woman… the pervert dressed like a girl..?” InuYasha tried to explain, “Nah, it’s not even worth it.”

“Well this was expected, though not this fast,” Sesshomaru said as he walked through the door.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Miroku yelled at him.

“I always thought you were too perverted to be normal, and well this,” he replied as he pointed at him, “makes everything so much clearer.”

“Sesshomaru, you know –”

Kagome was taken out of the room as Koga grabbed her arm and left the man, while everyone else made their way to the meeting.

“I can’t wait to see the look on Mirena’s face when she walks in,” InuYasha started as they made their way down the hall.

“I know, good thing Sesshomaru had all those cameras put in each of our offices,” Koga agreed.

“Oi,” InuYasha protested, “how come I never heard about these cameras,” he asked his brother.

Sesshomaru let out a deep breath, “if I had told you, you would have only acted like a child, so I eliminated that problem completely.”

“By not telling me! Sesshomaru, you have got a lot of nerve,” InuYasha replied as he stopped in front of him.

“Wait,” Kagome interjected, forcing everyone to look at her, “who is Mirena?”

All the men stared at her for a moment before rumbling in laughter, “I am so glad you are here,” Koga said as he wrapped his arm around her.

Kagome managed an awkward chuckle, knowing she probably was not going to get her answer.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“I still don’t understand why it HAS to be me and Kagome.”

Kagome looked awkwardly over at InuYasha who was still protesting the entire idea that Kikyo laid out.

Koga rolled his eyes, “InuYasha, it is simple.  You are the best man.  Kagome is the maid-of-honor.  You work together to get things done.  I mean, really?”

“He was always quite slow as a child,” Sesshomaru decided to ease some of the confusion.

“Sesshomaru,” InuYasha growled.

“I can just do it by myself,” Kagome interjected.  She really didn’t want to work with the man if he was having this much trouble with the idea.

“See?” InuYasha pointed out as he looked to the bride and groom.

Kikyo shook her head, “InuYasha, that would be way too much work for her, and I thought it would be a better way for you two to get to know each other,” she told them smiling.

InuYasha crossed his arms over his chest as he looked the other way, “fine.”

“Great,” Kikyo smiled.

“Does that mean the rest of us can go?” Sesshomaru asked as he began to stand.

“Yeah, we will meet again on Tuesday.” Kikyo answered.

“InuYasha,” Kikyo warned, “you better keep up your end.”

He rolled his eyes, “I said I would do it.  It’s not as if I am a child.”

“Some would disagree,” Sesshomaru said as he left the room.

“I am going to beat your –”

“Kikyo,” Kagome called before her sister could leave the room.

Kikyo turned toward her and smiled, “See, I told you.”

Kagome looked at her confused, “Told me what? Kikyo, this is a bad idea.”

Kikyo shook her head, “no this is perfect.  Now maybe the two of you can get to know each other and you can –”

“What…?” Kagome asked her frustrated.  “We can become one happy family?”

Kikyo’s shoulders slumped, “Kagome, I know you can’t see this situation any other way, but at least, give it a try… for me?”

Kagome rubbed her head, hating that she was buying her sisters idea, “fine.”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

InuYa sha sat at the desk looking out the window.

He was having trouble listening to that incessant chatter.

“Can we please do this later?” He begged her.

“I don’t have the time for later,” she replied as calmly as she could.  For a twenty-seven year old… he was a big baby.

“Fine,” he grumbled.  “What do we HAVE to do today?”

She looked over the papers her sister had given her of what needed to be done by this week, “well it looks like everything on this list needs to be done.”

InuYasha tore the list from her hands, “let me see that.”

“What is Kikyo thinking? There’s no way we can do all of this today.”

“Yeah, I don’t think that it was meant to do in just one day.”

He looked at her confused, “what do you mean?”

“I think she wants us to get together everyday to get this stuff done,” she said sheepishly.

InuYasha banged his head against the table, “you have got to be kidding me.  How does she think we have that much free time?”

Kagome laughed, “You’re telling me.”

“Yeah, I know this has to suck for you,” InuYasha agreed.  He was busy, but he wasn’t the one with a kid trying to land a job as a full time doctor.

“Thanks for the sentiment,” she said sarcastically.

“Hey, you should take it as a compliment.  I don’t try to relate to people too often,” he told her jokingly.

“I’ll remember that,” she replied laughing.

“You better,” InuYasha said continuing with the light mood.  It was nice for once; he didn’t feel all out of place which didn’t happen a lot when it came to women.

“You want to go grab lunch?”

Kagome stopped giggling to look at him, “Lunch?”

She looked at her cell phone and suddenly remembered something, “Oh, no!”

“A no would have been fine,” InuYasha replied feeling awkward.

Kagome blushed as she turned towards him, “Oh, I mean… I forgot.  I am supposed to pick up my daughter in like five minutes, and she is about thirty minutes away.”

She started gathering her stuff, knowing that she had better get a move on if she wanted to get there, before she got charged an extra thirty dollars.

“I can take you.”

Kagome turned around and quickly denied his proposal, “no, I can get her.  I will be fine,” she told him with a worried smile.

“Kagome, really.  It’s not a problem,” he told her as he grabbed her hand and led her to the elevator.

Kagome felt the heat light up her cheeks, noticing this; InuYasha looked at their hands and quickly let hers go.

“Um,” He said trying to break the awkward moment, “so…”

“It’s okay.  Thank you for taking me.”

He ran his hand through his hair, glad that she alleviated the uncomfortable situation.  

“So, Ariana is it?” He asked as they got out of the elevator and whistled for his car.

“Yeah,” she answered concerned on where he was taking this.

“It’s a cute name.  Unique, but cute,” he said as the car pulled up.

“Oh, well yea, it is kind of a spin on an American and Japanese name, but I think it fits her,” she smiled as she got into the back of his town car.

“I bet it does.”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

They arrived at the enormous daycare and InuYasha immediately felt overwhelmed, “I have no idea how you understand the layout of this place.”

Kagome smiled at him as they continued to walk through the colorful halls, “I submit that it does take a little getting used to, but… after about a month I think I got it down.”

They entered a purple door and suddenly the people that were inside stopped talking to look at the duo at the door.

“Umm,” Kagome said sheepishly.

“I guess it takes a little longer,” InuYasha whispered laughing quietly in her ear.

“Shush,” Kagome said smiling and hitting him on the arm.

She turned back around and talked to the woman that was on her way towards them, “I am looking for Ms. Suki’s room.  I apparently got the wrong room somehow.”

The petite lady that looked to be about twenty seven with short brown hair smiled understandingly at her, “it does take a bit getting used to.”

“Tell that to her,” InuYasha butted in.

“InuYasha,” Kagome replied, awestruck that he would say that.

“You guys make a cute couple,” the woman replied.

“Oh, we aren’t,” InuYasha started.

“What he means to say is that –”

“Oh, apologies.  I just assumed with the way you both carry yourselves together.  Oh well. Ms. Suki’s room is down the hall to the left.”

“Thank you,” Kagome replied trying to will away her blazing cheeks.

They made the short trip down the hall without really looking at each other.  Kagome just couldn’t bring herself to say something to him after what the woman said.

They came to a yellow door, “Well, I have no idea how you thought the PURPLE door was right, when it clearly was a YELLOW door that you dropped her off at this morning.”

Kagome stared at him wide-eyed, the blush still aligning her cheeks before she entered the door.

“Mommy!” A little girl yelled as she made her way towards them.

“Hey baby,” Kagome replied as she embraced the dark brown haired girl in her arms.  

When they let each other go, the little one looked at InuYasha, “mommy… there is a strange man behind you,” she stated matter-of-factly.

Kagome smiled at Ariana, “that is mommy’s friend.” She got on her hind legs, “his name is InuYasha,” she told her daughter quietly.

Ariana looked skeptically at him, “Are you nice?”

InuYasha cocked an eyebrow at her, “I would like to think so.”

She scrunched up her face, her brown eyes locked on his, “you better be nice to my mommy.”

She came up to him and whispered in his ear, “She is very special.”

InuYasha couldn’t help the smile that crossed his face as he looked at Kagome who was just looking at the pair.

“I would agree,” he told Ariana.

“We can’t keep secrets from mommy,” Kagome told her daughter as she grabbed the little girls’ small backpack.

InuYasha shook his head at Ariana, “nope, it is a secret between us.”

Ariana looked up at InuYasha with a smile in her eyes, “sorry mommy.”

Kagome took a deep breath, “it better be a good secret,” she told her daughter as she placed her jacket on her arms.

“Oh, it’s the best,” InuYasha told her.

“It’s the bestest, most greatest secret in the world,” Ariana agreed.

InuYasha laughed, “What she said.”

“Fine, well its time to go –” Kagome started.

“Mommy, can InuYasha come too?” Ariana looked at her with the gorgeous brown eyes she fell in love with, and she knew she could deny her baby nothing.

She took a deep breath before looking at InuYasha.  This sure was a situation she never imagined herself in, “I guess he can, but only if he agrees as well,” she told Ariana.

Ariana immediately looked at InuYasha, “Will you come? Will you? Will you?”

InuYasha let out a chuckle at the child’s earnest behavior, “Sure.”

Ariana exploded in an eager reply of hooray, and then the three were off back to his town car.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Why does aunt Kikyo want lilies?”

“Because those are her favorite.”

“Well why does she want purple and white lilies?”

“Because those are the colors of the wedding.”

“Well why –”

Kagome turned to InuYasha, “Oh the joys of parenthood,” she told him with a smile.

InuYasha laughed.

He could tell that it would be demanding at times, but looking at Ariana, he couldn’t understand why a person wouldn’t want to answer the little girl’s questions, as trivial as they might be.

“Mommy,” Ariana asked quietly.

Kagome stopped and bended down in front of her, “Baby what is it?”

She looked up at Kagome with tears in her eyes, “the kids at school made fun of me today, because I don’t have a daddy.”

Immediately, Kagome pulled the small girl into her arms, “Shush, baby it’s okay.  They just don’t know any better.”

“Do I have a daddy, mommy?” Ariana asked her as she began to wipe her eyes.

Kagome bit her lip, “Yes, baby, you have a daddy.”

Ariana’s eyes lit up with joy, “really? I do?”

Kagome laughed, “of course you do.”

“Where is he, mommy? And how come I never see him?”  Her mood quickly turned sad once more, “does he not like me?”

Seeing the display before him, InuYasha couldn’t help the way his heart tinged at that moment.  He didn’t understand how anyone could just abandon their child this way.

Kagome shook her head, “No, he loves you.  It’s just that he works a lot.”

“Will I ever meet him,” Ariana asked her with tears in her eyes.

Kagome couldn’t take the sadness.

“I don’t know baby,” she told her daughter truthfully.

“He hates me, doesn’t he?”

“No,” Kagome told her shaking her head, “baby… he just… I –”

“Why don’t we tell her now, Kagome?”

Kagome turned around, “tell her what?” she asked him confused.

He bent down in front of Ariana, “I am your daddy.”

Kagome felt like she was going to have heart failure.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

A/N: o.O