InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Question ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer:  I don’t own InuYasha or any of the characters therein.  They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!

Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.


One Question

Chapter 6

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0


They entered the small club the group was supposed to play, and once they walked in InuYasha realized why it was Kagome did not want Ariana to come.  The place was filthy.  Not to mention the overwhelming smell of smoke and alcohol coming from the bar area.

He looked sheepishly at Kagome, who was, once again, giving him the death stare of his life.

He was about to suggest that maybe the band “left,” so they could just take Ariana to Mayumi’s party, but Ariana shot off towards the stage and ran up on the platform.

InuYasha just shook his head; children were unpredictable and could change your outlook in a moment.

“Why would Kikyo want a band that plays here to play at her wedding?”  He heard Kagome ask.

InuYasha shook his head, “you got me.  Between her and Koga they have enough money to get a professional to come and sing.”

Kagome laughed, “That’s true.”

“Well, would you look at who it is!”

Kagome and InuYasha turned around to see a man that was about the same size and height as InuYasha, but he wore his hair long, and not to mention his immense amount of tattoos that he decided to decorate his body with.

“Bankotsu!” They replied in unison.

“The one and only,” he replied in a laugh.  He looked at Kagome, “My, my, you look more beautiful every time I see you.”

Kagome felt her cheeks heating up, “you don’t look bad yourself.”

He waved her off, “just a little working out here and there.”

InuYasha knocked him over the head, “you are such a baka!”

“Oi,” Bankotsu replied, “lay off it, would you!”

At that precise moment, Ariana ran up to Bankotsu, “and who might you be?” Bankotsu asked her.

Ariana studied him, before carefully replying, “Ariana.”

“Ariana, huh?  Who are you here with?”

Ariana pointed to InuYasha, “my mommy and daddy.”

Bankotsu felt like his mouth had just dropped to the floor, “your mommy and daddy.”

He looked at InuYasha whose eyes just went wide and Kagome who was sporting the darkest tint of embarrassment that he had seen on her face.  “You have got to be kidding me!”

Ariana shook her head, “no, I am completely serious!”

Bankotsu looked back at the little girl.  She had dark hair, and now that he looked at her, he could tell that the girl was telling the truth.  She looked like a perfect mixture between the duo before him.

“Well, then, this is unexpected,” he replied as he rubbed the back of his head – feeling completely awkward that he was just flirting with Kagome, in front of InuYasha.  

“Listen Bankotsu,” InuYasha started.

“No, I apologize.  If I had known about you two… I would never have been like that with Kagome.” He interjected.

“Bankotsu, you really don’t understand,” InuYasha tried to tell him.

“Ummm, InuYasha,” Kagome interrupted.

He looked over at her and saw Ariana on her hip, and his eyes widened.

“I really don’t understand what?”

Wide eyed, he turned back to Bankotsu, “Nothing man.”

“Oh,” Bankotsu smiled, “so I suppose I should congratulate you two.”

InuYasha and Kagome looked at each other, and realized once again that they really did not think this plan out very well.

Kagome smiled at him, “Well thank you.  Yes, we are very blessed.”

Bankotsu huffed a small laugh, “man I would have really never expected you two to get together.  I mean, with how hooked InuYasha was on Kikyo.”

Bankotsu stopped talking when he saw how awkward both of them became, “Oh, crap! Sorry.  I am just going to stop talking.”

InuYasha let out a breath, relieved, “that might be a good thing.”

“Hey,” he replied, but he knew he was just making the entire situation more uncomfortable for the both of them.  “So, what brings you guys around here?”

“Aunt Kikyo is getting married!”

Bankotsu looked at the small girl in Kagome’s arms and smiled, “Wow! Well, you guys are just throwing one curved ball at me after another, huh?”

“Carved ball?” Ariana voiced.

“It is just a figure of speech, baby… like a different way to say that something was not expected,” Kagome told her.

“Yeah, what your mommy said,” Bankotsu agreed with her.

“So, Kikyo is getting married.  You guys looking for a band?”

“What do you think we are doing here?” InuYasha asked him.

Bankotsu looked at him, “you mean, she wants us to play!” His eyes widened with excitement.

Kagome smiled at him, “well, you were one of the bands on the list,” she told him.

“List?  Man, when we get done playing for you.  There won’t be any other bands to consider,” he told her confidently.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“I want them at Aunt Kikyo’s wedding!”

InuYasha laughed at her, “Did you think they were that good?”

“They were that good!”  She told him with the biggest smile.

“Well, what did mommy think?” He said as they both turned to look at Kagome.

Kagome was just in shock by how well the two of them interacted.  It was almost as if they had always been there for each other, but she quickly smiled, “I think mommy thinks they should play at Aunt Kikyo’s wedding too!”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“So, where to next?”

They were walking down the strip towards the center of town.  They both wanted to stretch their legs a bit, and since they had just dropped Ariana off at her friends, they thought now was the best time.

Kagome took out the list, “Well, it looks like cake testing,”

“Cake, ugh!”

Kagome smiled at him, “what’s that supposed to mean?”

“I can’t stand sweets!”  He told her seriously.

“You have got to be kidding me.  Everyone likes sweet stuff.”

He shook his head, “Well not me.”

“So, no candy bars?”

“Nope.”

“Pudding?”
No.”

“Jello?” She asked him, beginning to doubt her plan of action.

He cocked an eyebrow at her, “Jello?”  

He thought about it for a second, “I can stand jello.”

“Well, jello is sweet,” she told him obstinately.

He let out a chuckle, “if you would like to think so.”

“It is!”

InuYasha shook his head and looked ahead.  He noticed that it was his favorite club.  “How much do you want to bet that jello isn’t sweet?”

She looked at him.  She didn’t like the mischievous smile he was giving her, “InuYasha, I am not betting you.  Jello is sweet.”

“How much?” He asked her adamantly.

She took in a deep breath and studied him for a moment.  She really did not think he would win this, “you can’t win this, you know that right?”

“I bet you I can,” he told her as he leaned in closer.

Kagome laughed at him, “Well what do I get if I win?”

InuYasha thought about it a moment, “I will grant you three wishes.”

She furrowed her eyebrow, “Yeah, that doesn’t sound good enough,” she laughed.

“Hah, Kagome, you are lucky I gave you that many.  It was only for you to think that you have a chance,” he told her cockily.

Kagome laughed at him, “fine, but what do you get if you win?”

He thought about it a moment.  Most girls he played the betting game with were someone that he was sure he could get into bed, but with Kagome, well… to say that they didn’t have that type of relationship was an understatement.  

“How about if I win, you will just have to answer me one question.”

That took Kagome off guard, “one question?”

“Yep,” he told her smiling.

“What kind of question?”

“It is to be determined at a later date.”

“A later date, huh?” She asked him unsure.

“Of course.  I wouldn’t take advantage of your weakness tonight.  I mean, you will lose after all.  I can’t do too much to you in one day.”

Kagome laughed.  “But what about the cake testing?”

InuYasha lost his smile, “are we still on that?  I thought we moved way past that to the fun stuff.”

“InuYasha, you are too much sometimes.  We really need to get this done,” she told him holding the piece of paper in front of his face.

He looked it over and was surprised to see that nearly all the “to do list” had been checked off for this week.  All they had left was the cake testing.

“Kagome, we have like four more days to finish the cake testing.  Can’t we do it another day?”

“I might not have another day to get this done.” She told him seriously.

He hung his head.

“InuYasha, I’ll tell you what.  If we finish the cake testing early enough… we can go through this little battle you set up.”

He grabbed her hand, “well let’s get this stuff done!”

As soon as he touched her hand she felt like it was on fire.  Did he not notice what he was doing to her?

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Okay, so we are getting the vanilla and the strawberry?”

He was really getting annoyed.  He figured since Kikyo had already picked out the bakery all they would have to do is spend like five minutes to pick out the cake… there was only six different choices that Kikyo narrowed it down to, but no, here they were forty-five minutes later still trying to make a decision.

“I don’t know…”

He felt like he was going to pop a blood vessel in his head.

She looked up at him, “Can you please taste it with me?”

InuYasha let out a huff of air, with the way she looked at him with her eyes all big and sad and so indecisive… how could he resist her?

“Fine,” he told her as he picked up a fork and began to taste the six different flavors in front of them, and he had to admit they were all pretty good.

“So,” Kagome asked him after he had finished.

He looked seriously at the different flavors in front of him, “I might have to try them again.”

Kagome burst in laughter, “and to think you were getting on me because I didn’t know how to pick.  How about between the strawberry and vanilla.” She told him as she pushed those two little plates closer to him.

He shook his head, “you have to put that chocolate in the decision as well,” he said as he scooted the little chocolate piece closer to them.

“Well, at least we have eliminated half of the options.”

InuYasha bumped his head on the table, “this is going to take forever.”

“Perhaps I can offer a solution.”

They both looked up to see the owner of the bakery in front of them. She had short brown hair, but she put on a lot of makeup.  She definitely was one of those girls that cared about her appearance.

“What did you have in mind?”

Kagome rolled her eyes.  He was trying to flirt with her again.  It’s not like the first five minutes after they walked in weren’t awkward enough.

“How about you just do each flavor in a tier.  Your sister wanted a three tiered cake, right?”

Kagome smiled at her, “right.  That’s not a bad idea, but which one do we want the most of?”

InuYasha knocked his head against the table, “Kagome.”

Kagome felt her face flush, “I’m sorry.”

The owner laughed, “how about vanilla for the bottom, chocolate for the middle, and strawberry for the top.”

The two thought about it a moment, before they both nodded their heads.

“Sounds good,” Kagome told her.

“Now, about your number,” InuYasha began as he walked over to her.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Kagome felt blinded to say the least, and the people were crowding all around her.  This was one place she did not want to be.

“InuYasha, can we go, now?”

She stuck out her bottom lip when he continued walking.  

The place was so loud that he probably couldn’t hear her.  The only way that the two of them could stay together in this crowd was that Kagome was holding onto his blue button down shirt.

“Ah,” Kagome thought and she pulled on it.

Immediately he turned around.

Kagome got close to his ear, “can we go now?” she yelled.

He shook his head, “you promised,” he told her as he gave her a toothy grin.

From that one look, Kagome felt her heart flutter, and her cheeks flushed.

InuYasha looked at her concerned, “are you feeling ok?”

Kagome had to brace herself.  She didn’t understand why that feeling came.  She looked at him, still with a slight blush on her cheeks and nodded her head.  At that moment, she would do anything that he asked, and for the first time, she couldn’t figure out why.

He led her over to the bar and ordered something. She really couldn’t hear, so she just waited.

He brought back two tiny glasses filled with a dark red jelly consistency.

“What is this?” She asked him cautiously.

He smiled at her, “it’s jello.”

She cocked an eyebrow at him, “jello?”  This was definitely not a place she thought would sell jello.

“Yep. Now, try it,” he told her as he drank it… if that was the proper word.  How can a person drink jello?

She lifted it to her mouth, and immediately she tasted the sourness of it.

She gave him a sour look and covered her mouth, “that is not jello.”

He laughed at her, “oh, but it is.  It’s called sour puss.”

She stuck out her tongue, “Eww that was nasty.”

“Have you seriously never had a jello shot? How can you be like twenty-five and never have a jello shot?”  This idea was too weird.

Kagome lifted her shoulders in defense, “First, I am only twenty-four, and second, I have always been busy with school.  Did you forget that I am not Kikyo,” she told him sarcastically.

He shook his head.  He knew they were different, but he would have never guessed that they would be this different.

“So, this means that I won, right?” He told her with a mischievous smile.

Kagome looked at him, suddenly nervous.  She really didn’t know what she got herself into.

She bit her bottom lip, “yes, you won,” she submitted.

“Yes,” he replied as he gave her a little victory dance.  “So, I get one question, right?”

She looked at him shocked, “I thought we were saving that ‘for a later date’,” she told him as she put quotes around the words.

He lifted his shoulders, “well, yea, but I have to get at least something for being right.”

Kagome hit her head, “yes,” she hated how he was dragging this out.

“Shoot more jello shots with me?”  He asked her with a grin.

She looked at him confused… that was not what she thought he wanted.

“Are you serious?”

He laughed, “Well yea, we are out.  Might as well.”

Kagome laughed, “You sure surprise me, InuYasha Takahashi.”

“I hope that’s a good thing.”

She locked eyes with him, “it is.”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

A/N: I really enjoyed writing this chapter, and I hope you all enjoyed reading it.