InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Question ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer:  I don’t own InuYasha or any of the characters therein.  They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!

Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.


One Question

Chapter 5

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“I still don’t understand why she looked so sad,” InuYasha was saying.

“Maybe the whole idea just shocked her.”

He looked up very doubtful about what the other man offered as a solution.

Miroku lifted his shoulders, “Listen InuYasha, I don’t have any great advice on this.  If you ask me, I think you should – if you want an outside source – go and ask Kagome.”

InuYasha looked even more doubtful at that reply, “that won’t work.  She was with me in on it.  Why would she know something that I don’t?”

Miroku shook his head and patted the other man on the back, “ah, I always wondered what it would be like to be retarded for a day, but at last, my answer is way too much of a burden for even me to face.”

InuYasha stared wide-eyed at him, not believing that he would say that entire statement only to call him stupid.  “I am really not in the mood for your antics today, Miroku,” he replied, showing him that he could go to great lengths as well to sound smart… even if it was just using a simple uncommon word.

Miroku let out a sarcastic laugh, “ah, well I do suppose that you have even surpassed my resources on vocabulary.”

InuYasha stared at him hard before turning away.  Miroku didn’t even deserve a reply for that crap.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Kagome made her way through the building and to the top floor.  She was really getting rather annoyed with always having to travel across the city just for these meetings, but at the same time, it was her maid-of-honor duties, and she would fulfill them proudly.

The elevator dinged and instantly the polished silver doors opened to the beautiful dark hardwood flooring and polished desk of the secretary and the chairs around her for those who were, in her mind, unluckily waiting to see one of the men that worked on the floor.  To her, if you had to see a lawyer, it probably wasn’t a good situation to begin with.

She made her way passed the secretary looking for the bridal party, and she was glad to hear them rumbling in a room down the hall.  She didn’t want to walk in on an awkward situation.  One time was enough for her.

She turned to go into the room and right when she got inside the door she ran into a hard chest.

She hoped it was Koga.  The two brothers just made situations like this far more awkward, and well, Miroku was a pervert.

“Oi,” she had to cringe.  It was no such luck.  

Kagome backed up, “apologies,” she told him as she bowed slightly.

She stood back up to her normal height and hated to see that everyone chose that specific moment to see that she had just arrived.

The blushed burned her cheeks with a fervent heat, and she wished beyond anything that someone would do something to make her feel less awkward.

“Why Kagome, if you wanted to brush against a man, I would be more then happy to be of service.”

Kagome turned the other way, the blush increasing.  She did believe she asked for her blush to be alleviated, but apparently the gods found her embarrassment most amusing.  

“Miroku you are going to die.”

Kagome saw InuYasha start to head towards the group pervert, and she took a deep breath.  She didn’t know why InuYasha decided to go to her rescue, but she was glad for the change of topic.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“So, what were you two able to accomplish?”

Kagome looked at the piece of paper her sister had given her five days ago, and noticed that nearly everything was checked off.

“Well, we ordered the flowers, and we found some options for invitations, the wedding ceremony, and favors,” she told Kikyo.

Kikyo smiled, “wow.  Honestly I didn’t think you guys would get that much done,” she told them with a slight blush.

“Hey!”

“Oi!”

R 20;What’s that supposed to mean?”  Kagome and InuYasha asked her in unison.

They looked at each other for a moment, surprised that they had just had the same thought, and to what, her daughter would pick that moment to say jinx, before they looked back at Kikyo.

Kikyo lifted her hands in defense, “I am sorry, it’s just that you guys sometime don’t work that well together.”

All the others decided to nod in agreement.

Kagome furrowed her eyebrow and turned to look at InuYasha, ‘did we really not work well together?’

If everyone else thought it was that bad, then why was she starting to think that she and InuYasha were actually a pretty good team?  Sure they got in petty arguments, but it was really nothing two people in their twenties couldn’t get over.

InuYasha huffed and walked out of the room.

Kagome’s eyes widened and went after him, deciding that if he didn’t want to be in there, well then neither did she at the moment.

When she made it out in the hall, she just caught a glimpse of InuYasha going to his office.  He stormed passed the door and to her luck, forgot to slam it shut, which is exactly what she thought he would do.

She meekly made her way inside and saw him looking out the window.

Quietly she walked over and stood by him.  The view from his office really was incredible.  You could see nearly half of Tokyo from where they were.

“It pisses me off you know.”

Kagome looked over at him.

He shook his head, “all my life, people keep telling me that I am immature when I try as hard as I can to prove them wrong, and just hearing it from Kikyo…”

Kagome nodded her head.  She understood where he was coming from, but of course, not in the same way.  Her sister doubted a lot of the stuff she did, except for when it came to school.

When it came to responsibilities out side of that though, her interest was almost nonexistent, and Kikyo complained to her lack of enthusiasm for social events.  To Kikyo that was the world, but to Kagome, it was just another trivial get together.  It really didn’t help anyone or anything.

“She didn’t mean that it was your fault.”

He looked at her.  His dark brown eyes searching her blue orbs, and he looked away and turned his head, “that is easy for you to say, you don’t let anyone down.”

Kagome looked at her hands, before looking back out the floor to ceiling windows, “that couldn’t be any further from the truth,” she told him sadly.

He furrowed his eyebrow at her, not understanding what she meant, but before he could ask her about it she grabbed his hand, “well let’s prove them wrong again and finish this new list she decided to hand us.”

He was taken by surprise by her total eagerness, and he did not overlook the fact that her hand was wrapped so securely over his.  It was one of the first times that he could remember feeling…wanted and by Kagome Higurashi no less.

InuYasha let out a small chuckle and a deep breath, “let me just get my coat.”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

They entered the small bistro that was on the list as one of the caterers, and Kagome immediately loved the place.  If the food was anything like the atmosphere she knew this small eatery would be serving at one of the biggest events this year.

There was a small bell that InuYasha pushed and a loud ding noise filled the air.  Moments later a girl came out.

Kagome could tell right away that she was attractive and by the look on InuYasha’s face, she could tell that she was just his type.

“Why, hello there.”  The girl greeted them.  “What can I do for you today?”

“You can give me your number,” InuYasha told her smoothly.

Kagome felt like her eyeballs were going to pop out of her head; she had never seen this side of him before.  He really knew how to turn on the charm.

The girl on the other side of the counter blushed and covered her giggle.

“InuYasha, we are here for a reason,” Kagome interrupted the two.

InuYasha looked back at her, acting as if he had just remembered her, and nodded his head, “right.”

“We were thinking about using your food for a wedding.”

The girl looked at him confused, “oh, don’t worry.  It’s not mine.  I am totally single.”

Kagome knocked her head on the glass in front of her glad that the flirting stopped for about two seconds.  She had a feeling this would take a lot longer then she scheduled in for it to take.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Well that was productive.”

Kagome shot him a death glare, “yes, if the schedule included get cute girls number and ask her on a date.”

InuYasha smiled at her, “so you thought she was cute too?”

Kagome smacked her head, “InuYasha really –”

“Kagome?”

Kagome looked ahead and saw someone she hadn’t seen in years, “Hojo!”

InuYasha looked at her and was shocked to see her smiling from ear to ear, whoever this guy was, she was sure glad to see him.

Kagome ran ahead of InuYasha to give the other man a hug.  He gladly accepted it, and before InuYasha even reached them they had already separated and were catching up.

“I have been good.  Kikyo is actually getting married.”

Hojo smiled, “Wow, well that’s good.  We always thought she would get married first huh?”  He asked her as he gave her a head nod.

Kagome smiled and rolled her eyes, “that we did.”

“So? Are you free this weekend?”

Kagome’s mouth opened and closed.

InuYasha just shook his head, “this guy sure doesn’t waste any time,” he whispered.

Kagome looked over at him confused before she hit her head, “Gosh, I totally forgot … Hojo this is InuYasha, and InuYasha this is Hojo.”

She noticed how both men begin to size each other up, “Hojo, InuYasha is in the bridal party, and InuYasha, Hojo is an old friend.”

“Old friend, huh?” InuYasha replied, putting emphasis on friend.

Kagome let out a large puff of air, knowing this battle of masculinity would get them nowhere.

“I guess we should go,” Kagome said as she started to walk off, “We got a lot of extra time to make up for, since someone decided to flirt for thirty minutes.”

InuYasha, just remembering Makoto, couldn’t help the blush that crossed his face.

“Oh, Kagome,” Hojo cut in before she could get too far, “about this weekend?”

Kagome put a hand to her face and thought of her schedule of the weekend quickly, and before long she smiled, “I think that sounds great.  You still have the same number?”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Wha t was all that about?”

Kagome turned toward him, “all what about?”

InuYasha scoffed and turned the other way, “whatever.”

Kagome looked at him confused, “are you upset that I talked to Hojo?”

She could barely get the words out.  That would be the most ridiculous thing she could possibly think of.

“No,” he told her stubbornly.

Kagome shook her head, “then what’s the matter?”

InuYasha looked at his watch and noticed it was fifteen minutes after three, “isn’t time to go pick up Ariana?”

Kagome’s eyes went wide and looked at her phone before sheepishly smiling at him.

“To the daycare,” he told the driver as they got in his town car, glad for once that he could successfully change the subject.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“But I want to go with you!”

“You are supposed to go to Miyumi’s party, remember?”

Ariana stuck out her bottom lip.  Now she wanted to do both.

InuYasha laughed, “Why don’t we just go quickly, so you can do both?”

Ariana looked at him with such wonder, “you mean it daddy?”

He smiled at her, “of course.”

He saw Kagome out of the corner of his eye with her mouth open, which he supposed meant she was thinking, ‘how could you just under-mind my authority after I told her no,’ and then by the death glare he received he knew that he was right.

Ariana turned toward Kagome, excited that her daddy said yes, and Kagome agreed with him for once.

InuYasha turned to look out the car window.  He had a lot on his mind.  First off, he just could not wrap his mind around the fact that he, for some reason, cared that Kagome was going on a date with Hojo, and he just could not understand why he had to care in the first place.  It was Kagome here.  Not a fine girl that he just happened to meet walking down the street, or a new secretary in his office, no, this was Kagome, and worse of all, it wasn’t even Kikyo.  Kikyo, well, he really had no reason to be upset with Kikyo, to an extent, but come on!

He looked back at Kagome.  She was smiling about something that Ariana had said, and for once, he noticed that maybe it wasn’t that far fetched to care that she was going on a date with some random guy.  Maybe, for once, Koga was right about her.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

A/N: thanks for reading !! please comment to let me know how you like the story.  I am going to try and add as much as I can, but college and family keeps me busy… but I will try my best.