InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Question ❯ Family Day ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer: I don’t own InuYasha or any of the characters therein. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.



One Question

Chapter 8 – Family Day



oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

“No way!”

InuYasha shook his head, “I am completely serious.  Miroku landed flat on his face.”

Kagome burst in laughter, “He is too much sometimes!”

InuYasha smiled at her, “yeah, he can be a real winner sometimes.”

Kagome shook her head, “Okay, now, you have to ask me.”

He looked at her.  Her hair all disheveled around her shoulders.  Her eyes smiling, sitting across from him Indian style, and for the second time that night, he couldn’t deny how attractive she was.  

He looked at her serious, “alright, truth or dare?”

He knew that this was one of those games corny teenagers played, but, right at this moment, he could care less.

Kagome scrunched up her nose, “truth.”

He rolled his eyes; he was about tired of truths.  Frankly, he was running out of questions to ask.

“Okay, let’s see,” he replied as he thought of something that might be useful to him, and then he thought of it, “Why don’t you have a boyfriend?”

Immediately the smile went away from her face and a blush blazed her cheeks, “why would you go and ask something like that?”

He laughed as she stuck out her bottom lip, “pouting will not get your answer alleviated, and you know what happens if you lose…” he told her as he nodded at her suggestively.

Kagome’s eyes widened as her blush increased, and immediately her arms covered her body.  One thing she wished she had thought over more completely was strip truth or dare.

Kagome took a deep breath, and gave him an answer she truly believed, “I guess… it’s just because no one is really interested,” she told him honestly.

InuYasha looked at her like she had lost her mind, “you can’t possibly really think that?” he asked her doubtful.

She shrugged her shoulders, “it really isn’t that hard to believe, InuYasha.”  She laughed bitterly at him, “even the first time I saw you… you didn’t even notice me.”

He looked at her as his eyes widened, knowing that she was telling the truth.

He shook his head, “you just have to let people get to know you.”

Kagome smiled sadly at him, “yeah, and for the ones that get that far the ‘oh, and I have a daughter,’ kinda kills it.”

InuYasha shook his head, “it wouldn’t kill it for me,” he told her honestly.

Kagome looked at him wide-eyed with a blush painting her cheeks.

“Now, let’s get back to the game,” he told her as he scratched the back of his head, trying to change the subject.

Kagome smiled and shook her head, “all right.  Truth or dare?”

InuYasha concentrated a second, “dare.”

Kagome looked at him wide-eyed.  She was not expecting the game to actually have any dares.

“All right,” she said sheepishly.

She decided at that moment, that this was not a game you wanted to play with boys.

All thoughts were on kissing or streaking… what other dare was there… really?

And then she thought of the perfect dare, “got it!”

He looked skeptical at her.

She smiled mischievously, “I want you to call Miroku and tell him that he has the nicest butt, and you would love to take him out tomorrow.”

His eye began flinching, “that is not going to happen.”

Kagome smiled at him, “well, you know the rules.”

He narrowed his eyes at her, but he immediately took off his shirt.

Kagome felt her heart stagger in her chest, and her eyes bulge out of her head.

“Like what you see, Kagome?” He asked her confidently.

Kagome turned away from him, pink aligning her cheeks.

“Just go,” she told him, unable to look at him.

He rolled his eyes, “all right, truth or dare?”

She bit her bottom lip before answering, “dare.”

“Whoa, being courageous aren’t we,” he told her smiling.

She rolled her eyes, knowing he was just making fun of her, “Just get it over with.”

“Hmm,” he said as his index finger went to his chin.  He knew he had to make it something good, and then he thought of it.  The perfect dare, not to mention, it was something he would really want.

“I dare you to…take off your shirt for the rest of the game,” he told as he wiggled his eyebrows.

“InuYasha,” Kagome replied as her cheeks turned that bright pink color.

“Kagome, you are going to have to stop blushing during our little games.”

Kagome looked at him and decided that two could play his sneaky little game, and she slowly took off her shirt.

When she looked at him, she was not at all surprised to see that he looked as if his eyes were going to pop out of his head.

“Success,” Kagome said to herself.

“Oi, what does that mean?” InuYasha asked offended.

“You can hear me? Well, that’s a surprise.”

“Hey!”

Kagome started laughing; she just couldn’t believe that she was sitting there with her shirt off.

“Hmff,” InuYasha grumbled.  “Whatever, it’s my turn.”

Kagome smiled at him, “Okay, truth or dare?”

“Truth,” he answered as he rolled his eyes.

She thought of the perfect question, but first, “is it okay to get serious?” She asked him.

That took him off guard, “Um, I guess so.  Isn’t that the meaning behind this game?”

Kagome shrugged her shoulders, “I guess.”
She took in a deep breath, “do you still love Kikyo?”

Honestly, the question did take him off guard.

He shrugged his shoulders, “…in a way I will always love Kikyo.”

“Oh,” Kagome answered quietly.

“But, recently, actually, I noticed that I am not in love with her.”   He locked eyes with her, “You know what I mean?”

“Yeah,” Kagome answered, for once, glad about his answer.

“Hey, Kagome,” InuYasha started.

“Yes.”

“Have you ever told Ariana’s father about her?”

Kagome took a deep breath, “No.”

InuYasha looked at her shocked, “no? But why?”

To him, this was not something a person should hide from anyone, and here he was thinking that the dude was the biggest douche-bag on the planet.

Kagome shook her head, “it is a lot more complicated then you can imagine,” she told him truthfully.

“How can that be?” He asked doubtful.

She turned and looked at him.  He could see the hurt buried in her blue orbs, “Would you tell someone something when it would have consequences on everything?  When you know nothing really about that person, but you know that it will change their life forever?  I was only with the guy for one night, InuYasha.  He didn’t even know I existed.” She told him sadly.

“How can you be so sure of that?  He knew you enough to sleep with you, didn’t he?”

She laughed bitterly at him, “that’s where you are wrong… so wrong.”

He shook his head, “I just don’t understand.”

“Good, maybe it isn’t meant for you to understand it,” she told him as she got up.

He grabbed her hand, “Know this, Kagome,” he told her seriously.  “If it was me, I would want to know, and I would sure as hell know that you exist.”

She looked at him wide-eyed, taken-aback at what he had just confessed.

She stood there a moment, really thinking about what he had said, “InuYasha, I need to –”

“I am out of here, Kagome.  Catch you tomorrow,” and he closed the door behind him.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

InuYasha rolled over and looked at his clock.

It was fifteen past four.  

He had left Kagome’s about an hour ago.  He just couldn’t understand her.  

‘Why would anyone really want to hide something like that?’

He shook his head.  He knew that sleep was the last thing on his mind, so he just got out of bed and headed towards his kitchen.  

He quickly scanned the inside and noticed that his eating out really left him with no kind of food to heat up.  He looked in the cupboard, and to his surprise he found some chicken flavored ramen which was his favorite.  

When his food was done cooking, he quickly picked up the little packet of seasoning and headed towards the living room.  He thought he might as well watch something, since he couldn’t sleep and all.

Just when he was beginning to believe that nothing good comes on T.V after four in the morning, his phone went off.

‘Is it?’

He suddenly wanted her to talk to him.

‘Oh,’ he sighed sadly.  “It’s Makoto,” he replied.

Received: HEY :)
4:24 11/15/2011

He rolled his eyes.

Sent:  Hey baby
4:26 11/15/2011

He searched through his contacts until he got to the name he wanted.

Sent:  Can we talk?
4:27 11/15/2011

Received:  …About?
4:27 11/15/2011

He shook his head.  It wasn’t as if he was sorry that he said his mind.  He was telling the truth after all, but…

Sent:  I might have crossed a line…
4:28  11/15/2011

Received:  No, you are right… it’s just hard…
4:30 11/15/2011

Sent:  You should tell him sometime, you know?
4:31 11/15/2011

Received:  Yeah, maybe some day I will…
4:32 11/15/2011

Sent:  Good :)
4:33 11/15/2011

Sent:  So, I was thinking that we have a family day tomorrow…?
4:35 11/15/2011

Received:  Family day..?
4:36 11/15/2011

Sent: Yeah, where it’s just you, me, and Ariana.  I think it would be good for us
4:37 11/15/2011

Received:  Idk… I have a busy day as it is…
4:40 11/15/2011

Sent:  come on! You know Ariana would love it :(
4:42 11/15/2011

Received:   …fine, but it will have to be in the morning.  I am scheduled to work at three.
4:45 11/15/2011

Sent: I will be at your apartment by 11 ;)
4:46 11/15/2011

InuYasha smiled happily for the first time that night, and made his way to his bedroom to get some much needed sleep.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

She heard her phone go off at exactly eleven a.m., and she was not at all surprised to see that it was him.

“Hello?”

“Hey, you two ready? I am down stairs in the car…”

“Ariana, come on honey.  Daddy is here!”

Immediately she saw the young girl zoom into the living room, and instead of her being the one that was dragging her daughter along, her daughter pulled her by the hand, “come on, mommy!”

Kagome laughed into the phone, “We will be down there in a minute.”

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“So, what fun things are we going to do today, daddy?” Ariana asked as she focused her big brown eyes on InuYasha.

“It’s a secret,” he told her with a grin.

Her mouth opened wide in excitement, “did you hear that mommy? Daddy has something special planned!”

“Yes, I heard it, baby,” Kagome answered as she smiled back.

Kagome focused her eyes on InuYasha, and he just gave her a wink.  She rolled her eyes, knowing that he was not about to give anything away, and she began to wonder why it was that he wanted to have a family day all of the sudden.

‘It’s not as if we aren’t together most days anyway,’ Kagome thought as she looked out the window, ‘but then again, it’s not like he has had that much time with her to begin with,’ she finished sadly.

They made their way uptown and Kagome’s mind started traveling back to last night when InuYasha so randomly asked her that question.

She looked over at him just then.  He was smiling with such wonder at what Ariana was saying, and she knew that he was right.  She had to tell him.

She rubbed her head, ‘but when is a proper time?’

She didn’t get a chance to divulge the thought because they suddenly began to slow down and Ariana let out a small excited scream, “the zoo! Mommy, daddy is taking us to the zoo!”

Kagome could only smile in amazement at her daughter; she loved how happy she was. “I see that.  Daddy is trying to be very nice to us today, isn’t he?”

“Oh, he is nice all the time,” Ariana defended.

“That’s right.  Tell mommy,” InuYasha replied as he placed his arms across his chest.

Kagome lifted her hands in defense, “okay, you are right.  Daddy is nice.” She relented.

Ariana smiled proudly up at InuYasha and then placed her hand in his, “come on daddy,” she began as she dragged him out of the car, “I want to show you the ZEE-bras.”

“Alright, slow down there, kiddo,” InuYasha replied laughing.

“There’s no time! We have to move really fast if we want to see all the animals,” Ariana told him as she continued towards the front gate.

“Well, you heard her Kagome,” InuYasha yelled over his shoulder as he made eye contact with Kagome.

“Hey, I am right behind you guys,” Kagome grumbled up at him.

“Come on, mommy!” Ariana yelled back at her.

“Yeah, come on, mommy!” InuYasha told her as he smiled at her.

Kagome felt a blush creeping on her cheeks.

“I am coming.  I am coming,” Kagome told them as she ran to catch up.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Kagome decided that staying behind them was the best place to be.

“Look daddy!” Ariana said as she pointed inside the tank.  “What is that?”

“That is a walrus,” he told her as he lifted her up on his shoulders.

“Oh, mommy, look at the WALL-rus!” she said trying to sound the word out.

Kagome smiled as she came over to the tank, “wow, he sure is big, huh?”

“Oh yea, he is huge!” She replied starring intently at the brown animal with two huge tusks.

Ariana turned her head, “what is that?” She asked InuYasha excitedly.

InuYasha turned his head in the direction that she pointed, “Those are penguins.”

He let her down so that she could run over to the tank.  They were swimming close to the glass, while others where spreading their wings as if they were going to fly.

“I want one!” Ariana said as she looked up at InuYasha.

He looked at her with a big smile on her face and one hand perched on the glass.  He felt bad, but he knew that he had to tell her, “you can’t take that home, baby.”

The smile immediately left her face, and she turned to Kagome, “really mommy, I can’t have one?”

Kagome hated when her daughter gave her the pouty face.  “Daddy is right, baby.  You can’t take a penguin home.”

She hung her head. Her hand slowly falling from the glass.

“Hey,” InuYasha replied as he lifted her up.  “You want to see the king of the jungle?”

She looked at him curiously, “King of the jungle?”

He smiled, “you want to see him?”

She nodded her head fast, “yeah!”

Kagome was amazed with how well he got her over her little slump.

‘He’s a natural,’ she thought as she followed them to the lion’s cage.

“Mommy!”

Kagome walked over to her daughter who was pointing excitedly at a lion.

“That’s the king of the jungle,” she told her smiling.

Kagome smiled at her, “well, who taught you that?”

Ariana had the biggest smile on her face, “daddy.”

Kagome looked at InuYasha.  She already knew that he had told her.

“How about I take a picture of you and daddy,” Kagome asked as she took her phone out.

Ariana smiled, “Yeah! It will be my first picture with daddy.”

InuYasha looked sort of out of place, “a picture?”  He had no idea there would be photos involved.

“Yeah, daddy, so we can have a picture together – just you and me,” Ariana told him seriously.

InuYasha grinned down at her and put her on his shoulders, “well then, mommy better take a great picture ‘cause its going on daddy’s desk at work.”

Kagome felt her heart flutter at the way Ariana was smiling at him.  It was a way she had never seen before, and for the first time – just as the camera snapped the photo, she knew that InuYasha made the perfect father.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0


A/N:  I would like to make a shout out to 'future author'. Thanks for the review! It made my day!

Anyways, I only have two more weeks before I get out for the holiday in which I hope to load more chapters.  I was writing a paper for school when I took a break and decided to work on this :)

Hope everyone likes this update. I will try to load up more as soon as possible.