InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Question ❯ The Next Step ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Blanket Disclaimer: I don’t own InuYasha or any of the characters therein. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.



One Question


Chapter 9 – The Next Step



0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0



“That was the best surprise ever daddy!”

He smiled at her, “Well I am glad you liked it, but you better like surprises ‘cause from now on, I am going to take you and mommy out once a week.”

The little girl grinned from ear to ear and quickly turned to Kagome, “did you hear that mommy?”

Kagome was just starring at InuYasha in awe; she had no idea that he was going to start some type of family ritual.  

She looked at Ariana, “I sure did baby.”

“Where are you going to take us next daddy?” Ariana asked him excited.

InuYasha shook his head, “now, if I told you… it wouldn’t be a surprise now would it.  No, you two will just have to wait until next week to find out, since mommy has to go to work and all.”

Ariana’s shoulders slumped, “that’s not fair.”

“Ariana, how can you say that? Daddy is being very nice,” Kagome chastised her.

Ariana gave her a pout, “I know he is being nice, but…”

Kagome looked at her daughter with a bit of worry, “what is it?”

“We hardly spend any time with daddy,” Ariana told her with tears in her eyes.

Kagome’s eyes widened, and she locked glances with InuYasha.

“Well, that’s why I am going to start taking you two out once a week,” InuYasha told her to try and cheer her up.

Ariana rubbed her eyes and shook her head, “But there are still so many days that we don’t have daddy time.”

Kagome’s heart lurched.

She wanted to make up for lost time.

Kagome took a deep breath; this was going to be awkward, “Listen, InuYasha, how about you stay with us?”

InuYasha looked at her like she had lost her mind.

“That’s the best idea ever!” Ariana interjected.

InuYasha looked at her wide-eyed, “and why is that the best idea ever?”

He really could not understand.

Ariana gave her little pout, “because then we will be together always.  Don’t you want that, daddy?”

InuYasha felt his heart go out to the little girl.  He did want to make her happy, but this was crossing a line.

“I don’t know if that is such a good idea, Ariana.”

“Why not? Mommies and daddies are supposed to live together.”

‘This is true,’ he thought sadly.

“I know that, but mommy and daddy… we…”  InuYasha looked at Kagome for some help.

“Ariana, how about mommy and daddy talk about it when we get home, okay?” Kagome asked her with a smile.

“Will you get daddy to say yes?” Ariana asked her sadly.

Kagome giggled at her daughter, “we will talk about it, okay?”

“Okay,” she answered putting her head down.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“This is not a good idea,” InuYasha told her.

Kagome shook her head, “I never said it was the best idea, but don’t you see?”

“See what?”

Kagome sat on the couch and let out a big puff of air.  It was quiet a moment, before she started to speak, “she wants to make up for lost time, InuYasha.  One day just isn’t enough.”

InuYasha felt deflated, “oh.”

“It would be weird for me too, don’t get me wrong, but at the same time, I do want Ariana to be happy, and you know,” Kagome started looking at him with a smile, “for the first time today, I think she was truly happy, and I want to see her like that all the time.”

InuYasha rubbed his forehead, “but what about us?  What does this mean?”

“As far as I am concerned we can just have the same type of relationship.  Nothing has to get weird, and besides, you are here like all the time anyways,” she told him jokingly.

He let out a small chuckle, “I guess you’re right.”

“Should we tell Ariana now?”

He smiled, “sure.”

“Ariana,” Kagome called to her daughter.

Ariana ran into the living room, “yes.”

The duo on the couch could tell that the little girl was waiting anxiously.

“Daddy is going to stay.”

Ariana’s face brightened up with the biggest smile, “really?”

“Really,” InuYasha answered, and before they knew it, they were surrounded in their first family hug.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

Now, when they said stay… what Kagome and InuYasha really meant was stay until Ariana went to sleep. They did both have boundaries after all.

“I love you daddy,” Ariana told him as she began to close her eyes.

He felt his breath catch in his throat as he starred down at the little girl.

Love.

He had those feelings before, but never for someone so small – so gentle, but this feeling that he had when he looked at Ariana, it was still warm, still amazing, still –

“I love you too, Ariana,” he told her with a smile, and he did.

He loved her too.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“So, have you talked to Ariana’s father about her yet?”

Kagome looked at him shocked.  This was a real change in topic.

“He knows about her.” She told him truthfully.

“Oh,” he replied quietly.

It wasn’t as if the other man shouldn’t know he had a daughter, but where would that put him now.

“How did it go?”

Kagome took a deep breath and thought of the best way to answer, “he loves her as if no time has passed at all.”

InuYasha shook his head, “Yeah that is a good thing.”

“Yeah, it is.”

“Does Ariana know about him?”

Kagome’s eyes widened, “the whole story? No.  I don’t really want to make things complicated more so then they already are.”

InuYasha nodded his head, ‘she means with me in the picture.’

“Well, I think I will be getting out of here,” he told Kagome quietly.

“Oh.”

He looked at her strangely, “What?”

Kagome felt a blush rise on her cheeks, “well, I was just thinking, I mean, I know what we talked about, but since it is so late I thought…”

“You thought?” he asked as he raised an eyebrow at her.

“I just thought you could stay here tonight, if you want,” she told him as her blush increased.

“My, my, Kagome, I didn’t know you liked me that way,” he told her with a smirk.

Her eyes widened, “what? Hey, I didn’t mean it that way!”

He shrugged, “sure.  I know you have had your eyes on me since the first day we meant.”

Kagome rolled her eyes, “oh, I guess you know me so well.”

“Whatever.”

“Hey, you don’t get to end it.”

He shook his head, “we both have an early start tomorrow, so we better get some sleep.”

“I guess you are right,” Kagome replied looking down.

He smiled back at her, “hey, don’t look so down.  I will be back in the morning.”

“InuYasha!”

“Catch you later Kagome,” he replied before she could throw her shoe that she was taking off at him.

The door slammed shut behind him and Kagome huffed, “I can’t believe that guy.”

Kagome let out a large puff of air as she sat back on the couch, ‘but… there is still so much that needs to come out in the open.’

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

A/N: well I guess that I got a little further then I thought I could.. whew.. I feel like this story is starting to show itself.  Hope you all like it!