InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Half ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(A/N: I couldn't make you guys wait, that would just be cruel, besides I don't have school today, why not waste my life in front of the computer?009)

Chapter Eleven

The apartment door opened and Miroku, Inuyasha, and Sango stepped inside. The lights were off, but it was probably because Kagome was sleeping or something.

"Kagome? We're back," Miroku called. There was no answer. Inuyasha smirked.

"She's probably still mad because you stole her car keys." he said and walked towards the bedroom. He knocked on the door. "Hey, Kagome?" No answer. "Oh, come on, kid. I just wanted you to take it easy for the day, no need to give me the silent treatment." He opened the door and looked inside. The room was empty.

"Miroku!!" he shouted. Miroku came running into the room.

"Wha- Oh no. Oh not again," he mumbled as he walked inside.

"What are you talking about?" Inuyasha asked, but Miroku wasn't listening. Sango was standing next to Inuyasha in curiosity. Miroku stormed into Kagome's walk in closet. Her duffle bag was gone. He went to her dresser. Her wallet, a photo album, and other things were gone too.

"Why would she do this?" he mumbled. Inuyasha growled with frustration, grabbed the boy by the shoulders and looked at him.

"What's going on? Where's Kagome?" he asked.

"I think....she might have ran away," Miroku said. Inuyasha's eyes widened. Miroku yanked away from the half demon's grip and walked towards the living room. He looked outside the window.

"Her truck's gone," he continued.

"How, you said you had her keys?" Sango asked.

"She's probably got a spare set somewhere. It's not the first time I've pulled that stunt."

"Why would she run away?" Inuyasha exclaimed.

"How the hell should I know?" Miroku shouted.

"She's your sister!!"

"She's your girlfriend!!"

"Hey guys, look at this." Sango cried. Miroku and Inuyasha stopped and looked at the girl. She was bent over the wastebasket, a small tape recorder in her hands. "Is this yours?" Miroku shook his head.

"No, I've never seen it before." he said and gingerly took it. He pushed the rewind button and then played the tape. They listened as the voice copies ranted about hating Kagome and wishing that she were dead.

"I swear, I'm sick and tired of pretending to like that stupid bitch. The sooner this is over, the sooner I can get together with Kikyo." the tape finished. Inuyasha just stood completely still, eyes filled with shock and anger, mouth wide open. He started to growl.

"What the hell?!!" he shouted and threw the tape recorder against the wall. Sango started to cry, Miroku hugged her. Inuyasha hit his fist on the wall and rested his forehead against it. "Please, tell me she didn't believe that."

"I don't know if she did or not, but for some reason she's gone now." Miroku said softly, rubbing Sango's back.

"I would never say that." Inuyasha hissed. "She knows I would never do that to her, she knows that I love her. She couldn't believe that, that doesn't even sound like us. Why would she run away just because of some stupid.." he couldn't finish. Tears were threatening to fall.

Someone had just made Kagome believe that he hated her, she had run away because she thought he couldn't stand her. His heart was breaking. She had promised she would never leave his side again, and now Naraku had broken them apart so easily. Yes, this thing had Naraku written all over it. He had to get her back, he had to find her. He would search another seven years if it meant he would be able to hold her in his arms once again.

"Miroku, her beeper. You can still trace her beeper, can't you. She couldn't have gotten to very far." he whispered. Miroku looked up and nodded, seeming to feel a new source of hope. He rushed over to the computer and began to activate the GPS system. Inuyasha started pacing the living room floor, full of worry and concern, his heart beating widely out of control. It was like she had been kidnapped from him all over again. Finally, the tracing stopped.

"Damn," Miroku whispered as he stared at the screen.

"What?" Inuyasha cried as he ran over. "What's wrong. There's the dot, we can use it to get her location."

"No we can't," Miroku said.

"Why the hell not?!"

Miroku opened the computer desk drawer violently. Inside was Kagome's dark blue beeper, vibrating from the trace. Under it was a small post it note. It said:

Sorry Roku, not this time

Kag


"So," Inuyasha said, his voice slightly hoarse, " We have no idea where she went?" Miroku closed his eyes and rested his chin on his palm.

"Well," he said. "Not necessarily. This isn't the first time she's run away without a trace. It happened a few years ago when Naraku started threatening my own well being. There's only one place she would go. It's the only place she had left."

"Where's that?" Inuyasha asked.

"When we were kids, our father owned a ranch in Colorado. Kagome and I used to go there every summer, she fell in love with the horses. After our parents died, she inherited the place. This is my apartment, but that's her house. It's the only place she would go."

"All right I'm there."

"Good, Sango and I will stay here to make sure Naraku is kept at bay."

"Fine, how do I find her?"


It had been nearly a month since Inuyasha had left New York. It had taken him three days to drive to Colorado, and now he was still searching for Kagome's ranch. Miroku had told him which part of Colorado to look in, but he couldn't remember the exact address. It seemed like a hopeless cause, but he wasn't about to give up hope. He was going to find her if it killed him.

He was sitting at the back table of a small coffee/general store. It was a small town where everybody seemed to know everyone's else business. His feet were propped up on a nearby chair and he was reading a newspaper, a mug of black coffee by his right arm. He had been driving around non-stop for the past 72 hours, and it was starting to take it's toll.

The bell on top of the door rang, but Inuyasha paid no mind. Mr. Riley, the shop owner greeted the visitor warmly.

"Ah, lass, it's good to see you. It's been a long time since I've seen you around these parts," he said.

"That it has," came a young woman's voice. It was smooth, like water running over rocks. And it had a hint of a Montana drawl tossed in with a bit of city accent. It was very familiar. Just listening to it calmed Inuyasha's tense muscles. He stopped reading, but didn't remove the paper from his eyes. He just listened to the conversation with demon hearing.

"I got your call, I had already set out all the supplies you needed to get back to routine. I trust that Jeff took good care of your horses for the past years while you were away."

"Thank you, Luke. Yes, you can tell your son he did a fine job watching the ranch for me." Mr. Riley handed the girl a large bag full of different items. He was surprise when she lifted it with ease. She handed him the money he needed.

"So how long do you plan to be staying this time?" he asked.

"I'm not sure. Might even go so far as a year or two."

"Well, you know, Jeff is still looking for a nice young lassie like yourself to settle down with," Mr. Riley said, wiggling his eyebrows. The girl laughed.

"Sorry, Luke. But you can tell him that this gal's already got herself a man, and a good one too," accenting the Southern hint in her voice. Inuyasha loved her accent.

"Yes, yes. Well I hope to see you again soon, Kagome," Mr. Riley said. Kagome! Inuyasha dropped the paper and looked at the girl. It was Kagome! She was wearing khaki shorts and a white tank top with some brown dust from the dirt roads. She also was wearing a plaid, pink, long sleeved shirt, unbuttoned, with the sleeves rolled up to her elbows, hiking boots, and sunglasses. Her skin was beautifully tanned, obviously from long exposure to the south west sun. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail and it had blonde highlights. Yes, the new moon was tonight.

Kagome smiled at Mr. Riley, waved at some of the customers that called her name and walked out the door. Inuyasha quickly ran up to the owner, paid for his coffee and followed her. Kagome was already in her truck and was driving off. He jumped on his motorcycle and followed her scent so that she wouldn't see him.


After driving countless miles on deserted two way highways, Inuyasha finally pulled up to a large stretch of land. Horses were all across the fields, all different colors and sizes. Then he saw the ranch house, it was amazing. It was completely made of white stone, probably to stand up against tornados. It was a gigantic three story house, and it was absolutely beautiful, it matched Kagome perfectly. He saw her leap out of her truck and run into the stable which was also very large.

She came back out wearing a white cowboy hat and a lasso strapped to her waist. She put her fingers to her mouth and whistled. A attractive white horse ran to her side and nuzzled her neck playfully. It tried to take a bite out of her hat until she climbed into the saddle. She ran her fingers through the horses mane, and then took off into the heart of the land.

Inuyasha was mesmerized by the way she acted with the horse, it was like she had a deep connection. They both understood each other without the need for words, it very much described their relationship. How he desperately needed for her to be in his arms once again. His heart had skipped a beat when he saw that she still proudly wore the gold medallion, perhaps there was a chance that she did not believe what was on the tape.

He parked in the driveway and walked up to the front door. It was a known fact that very few crimes were committed in small, rural areas, so usually everyone kept their doors unlocked. He opened the door and walked inside. Everything about the house showed that it belonged to Kagome. He thought back to the apartment. It had a lot of dark colored furniture, and it was very cramped. This house was different.

The living was a warm light blue with a large couch and a few armchairs, leaving visitors with a lot of space to walk around. Inuyasha walked through the house. The kitchen was large and homey. The cabinets were a golden brown wood with black trim, and there was an attractive little breakfast nook. The dining room was large and elegant with a dark wood table and large chairs. On one of the walls was a large china hutch that he remembered belonged to her mother.

Next he came to the entertainment room. There was a big screen TV on one wall with an entertainment center built around it which held the stereo, DVD player and video games. There were two big, black, comfortable leather couches. The entire house was covered in soft, white carpeting. He looked around the room and saw that there were many different pictures on the walls.

Many were from many years ago when Mr. and Mrs. Higurashi were still alive. Some where of Miroku and Kagome when they were kids, some where when they were older and living in the apartment in New York. He smiled when he saw a picture of him and Kagome kissing when they were kids. Her mother must have taken that one. He came to another picture which looked new, like she had just put it there.

It was a recent. Inuyasha was laying on the couch at Miroku's apartment, Kagome was asleep in his arms. His chin was resting on her head, his arms wrapped tightly around her waist. There was a photo album on the coffee table. It was full of pictures of him and her, dating from when they first met to a few months ago. She kept it, he prayed that she would listen to him when she came home.

Suddenly the back door opened. Kagome came in, looking totally exhausted. She through her hat on one of the family room chairs and walked towards the kitchen to make something quick for dinner. Inuyasha closed the album and left the entertainment room. He looked in the kitchen, Kagome was standing in front of the stove, a pot of boiling water in front of her. She was rubbing her sore neck with her hand.

"Kagome?" Inuyasha called softly. Kagome looked up and stared at him with shocked eyes.

"Inuyasha...." she whispered.

(A/N: I should be evil and end it there, but I would rather not be murdered in my sleep so....)

Inuyasha expected her to run away, or hit him, or tell him to leave her alone forever. He expected her to be furious about the phony tape. Instead she just turned off the stove, ran over, wrapped her arms around his neck, and hugged him. Without hesitation he enveloped her in his arms and buried his face in her hair.

He stroked her hair with one hand and rubbed her back with the other. He pulled away slightly and then pulled her into a passionate kiss, crushing her small frame against his. He felt as if he needed to know that she was right there, as if she would disappear again if he ever let go. When they finally parted for air, her leaned his forehead against and kissed her the tip of her nose.

"Kagome, you have to believe me," he whispered. "That wasn't us on the tape, you know that right? I would never say those things, I love you. You know I love you, no one else. You mean everything to me."

"I know it wasn't you, I never believed it for a minute. I love you too, I know you guys would never do that to me. I mean, you always worry about me, you saved me when I was kidnapped. There's no way you would turn your back on me. Don't worry, I'm not mad at all." she said soothingly. He caught her lips again. They broke.

"Then why did you run away without saying anything?" he asked.

"Because, Naraku wanted me to leave New York, and I wasn't sure why. This is all just a big game, I've already laid down my cards. Now I have to wait for his play. The only way to do that is to let him think he has control for a while. That tape was a way to catch me off guard, but it didn't work. Of course, I couldn't let him know that so I just left-" Inuyasha caught her lips one more time, desperately showing her how much he missed her and needed her by his side. She was beginning to melt in his hold, she had been miserable ever since she left. It was so hard to go on living without Inuyasha, she knew that now. She broke the kiss.

"You promised that you weren't going to leave me anymore," he spoke softly in her ear.

"I know and I'm sorry, but I was going to come back, I was always going to come back. I wanted to tell you more than anything, but I just couldn't I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He started kissing her neck, rubbing her arm where the bullet wound had been. Her knees started to shake. The day had already exhausted her, this was breaking her down.

"Inuyasha," she whispered.

"Hmm?"

"I don't think...I can... stand up...much longer," He tightened his grip around her waist picked her up in his arms.

"Don't worry, I've got you," he kissed her again, she wrapped her arms tighter against his neck. He walked back to the entertainment room and sat down on the leather couch, cradling her in his lap. Eventually they had to breathe once again. Just like when he found her the first time in New York, he played with the golden medallion around her neck.

"Kagome, there's something I want to ask you." He gently took her chin in his hand and looked into her eyes. " I love you so much, I would die if anything happened to you. Whenever gone, my heart seems to disappear along with you. I want to always be there to protect you, forever, till the end of time. So will you be my mate?"

"Of course I'll be your mate, I love you too," she said. He grinned and kissed her gently. Suddenly, Kagome gasped and her hand flew to her neck. Inuyasha watched as the two bite marks on her neck disappeared and her teeth which had been slightly pointed dulled.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"For now," she said. "Who knows when my vampire side will come." He nodded and started kissing her neck.

"This might hurt a little," he said, she only nodded, not worried about pain. He kissed the right side of her neck, opposite of Naraku's bite and sunk his fang into her soft skin until he was sure it would leave a mark. He then licked the mark cleaned and she shivered slightly. "That means that you're mine and no other demon can touch you." She smiled, and then gasped and held her head.

"What's wrong?" he asked, concerned.

"Nothing, just the vampire trying to get into my mind." she said. Inuyasha nodded and then carried her upstairs to the master bedroom. She walked to her dresser.

"Miroku's has some pajama bottoms and shirts in his room you can borrow, it's the room across the hall. He nodded and left. In a few minutes he came back in a white under shirt and red and black plaid bottoms. Kagome was wearing a light blue spaghetti strapped tank top, with matching silk bottoms that had white clouds and moons.

They climbed under the warm covers. Inuyasha wrapped his arms around her waist and she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Inuyasha?" she asked.

"Hmm?"

"Would it be okay if we waited until for a while, I kind of want to keep my moral and everything," she said, slightly embarrassed. He smiled and kissed the mark.

"Sure, our parents would want us to wait until we got married, and besides, your brother would probably kill me." he said.

"Thanks, Inu." He caught her lips one last time before the settled down for some much needed sleep. He would call Miroku and Sango in the morning, tell them everything was just fine, and probably let Kagome stay at her ranch for a couple weeks before driving back to New York. Until then he just enjoyed the fact that she was here in his arms, she was his, and she wasn't going to go away.

(A/N: Man that was long, I'm tired, must get some of that much needed sleep over here. Night night. 009)