InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Half ❯ Chapter Twelve ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(A/N: I'm hooked, I can't stop. This is getting too good, even for me.009)

Chapter Twelve

Inuyasha stirred from his deep, comfortable sleep. Eyes blinked open, and then shut immediately as sunlight from the blinds poured on his face. He sighed and pulled Kagome's peaceful, warm body closer to his. Or...at least, he tried to. His eyes shot open as he bolted up right and looked around the room, completely awake. Kagome was gone. He looked at the digital clock on the night stand, saw that it was nearly ten o'clock, and relaxed knowing that Kagome would have been up hours ago.

She had probably noticed how tired he looked and let him sleep in. He couldn't blame her. After all, he had barely gotten an hour's rest each night that she missing. He laid back down on the cool mattress and closed his eyes. He could see why Kagome loved living on her ranch much more than New York. It was so much more peaceful.

There were no cars, no barking dogs, no noisy neighbors that you could hear through the paper thin walls of the apartment building, just peace and quiet. He could get used to living here. Inuyasha started to imagine what their life would be like once they got married. He would probably sell his apartment and move out here since she would probably never give this place up. He could learn to be a cowboy, as long as those horses didn't try to bit his hand off.

Reluctantly, Inuyasha got out of the bed and hopped in for a nice, warm shower. He quickly dressed in a black T-shirt and jeans before heading downstairs in search of his mate. His mate...he had waited so long to be able to call Kagome that freely. Sure it had always been a dream, but now it was a reality. The thought made him grin.

He looked around the downstairs starting with the kitchen and ending with the back foyer. She didn't seem to be anywhere. He scratched his head in confusion and sighed. Suddenly, he heard gunshots coming from upstairs. Naraku?! Filled with panic he bounded up the staircase. He stopped in the hallways and listened as more gunshots fired. They were coming from the ceiling?

Of course, when he had first spotted the house, he had noticed that it was at least three stories tall. But he had yet to go up that far. He frantically searched for a staircase. There wasn't one....except for a peculiar rectangle that was cut into the white roof with a cord hanging out. Inuyasha pulled on the rope and a staircase fell from the ceiling. He shook his head in amazement and raced up the stairs to his girlfriend's aid.

When he reached the top step, he stopped dead in his tracks. The entire third story was one room. The floor was covered with wall to wall padding that you would find in karate schools. Two of the walls were entirely made of glass giving off a beautiful view of the vast, open land, the natural light eliminating the need for light fixtures.

On one side of the room was a long table, loaded with different types of guns, ammunition, and silver daggers. Nearby was a stand that held many swords, varying in length and width. There was a punching bag hanging from the ceiling that was obviously abused frequently, a treadmill off in one corner, and a weight system close to that. The entire room echoed with the sound of rock music coming from a large stereo system built into one of the padded walls.

Inuyasha flinched as the gunshots sounded again, and he suddenly remembered why he had raced up here in the first place, and it certainly wasn't to gaze at the scenery. Where was Naraku? Where were his henchmen? Where was Kagome?

His questions were answered when he looked at the remaining side. Half of the entire wall was a shooting arena, filled with the same targets that you would find at police training academies. Kagome was standing next to a small table, loaded with .45 pistols, aiming at one of the targets. He was wearing safety glasses and earplugs as she grabbed another gun and started firing.

Inuyasha sighed with relief and walked over silently. He looked at the target and saw that every one of the girls shots hit perfectly on the head and the chest. As soon as she placed the gun down back on the table, he wrapped his arms around her from behind and nuzzled her neck. She stiffened at first, then relaxed. He smiled as kissed her neck where the mark was. He looked to the other side of her neck to see that the two holes from the vampire mark had returned.

"So, how did it go last night with your vampire twin?" he asked. Kagome took the ear plugs out of her ears and set down the glasses.

"Actually, I didn't see her last night. I don't know. I guess ever since you've shown up, she's been too scared to pop up anymore." Kagome replied thoughtfully, turning around in his arms to face him. Inuyasha smiled and kissed her gently.

"Well that's good." He released her and took another look around the "home gym" as you could call it. "So, where you planning on telling me that this thing existed?" She laughed and rolled her eyes.

"Eventually, but I knew you would probably find it on your own anyways. I take it you're impressed?" she asked, folding her arms smugly.

"Oh, very," he replied playfully, walking towards the sword rack. He reached to grab one of the handles. Kagome gasped softly and reached out her arms.

"Wait!! Inuyasha, don't do that!!" she cried, but it was too late, he already touched the weapon. Suddenly, sirens started buzzing and the hidden staircase Inuyasha had found slammed shut. Inuyasha dropped the blade back in place and turned around to a grimacing Kagome.

"Oops?" he said sheepishly. Small slots in the padded walls slid away revealing dark holes. They started firing bullets at the two teens as the ran for cover. Kagome pushed Inuyasha under the large weapons table and started running towards the opposite wall. She ducked and dodged as bullets flailed around her head. It wasn't long before things started getting more intense.

The firing ceased, only to bring on more deadly opposition. Daggers started flying in every direction, threatening to impale the poor girl. Three came flying towards her at the same time, she leapt to the side only to have two more cut left arm and cheek. Finally she reached the wall and pulled open a hidden box lid which revealed a large red button. She pressed it and the daggers and sirens ceased.

She sighed and leaned against the wall as Inuyasha came out from under the table. Suddenly, one lone blade flew out, whistling in the air. Kagome fell to the ground to hear a soft thud and a humming noise. She looked up to see the dagger lodged in the wall where her head had once been, still vibrating from the impact.

"Hmm, I forgot about that one," she said. Inuyasha looked about ready to die from a heart attack, she grinned. "My own security system, in case some one found out about my secret weapons department. Kouga ain't the only one who can make a wicked gun." She stood up, and brushed off her sleeves.

"Well, I'm tired," she said. "Ready for me to whip up some breakfast?" Inuyasha blinked, shook his head, and smirked at his mate's ability to take life or death situations so lightly. He wrapped his arms around her shoulder and walked her to the bedroom to clean her cuts.


Kagome walked out of the ranch house dressed in jean shorts, a white tank top, and a long-sleeved, denim shirt which she left unbuttoned. She had a brown, leather belt with a silver buckle, a lasso tied to her side, brown hiking boots, and her white, cowboy hat. These were her usual work clothes. She shook her head as Inuyasha came out wearing black jeans, a white T- shirt, and sneakers.

He had refused to wear Miroku's work clothes and she didn't have time to drive to the mall that morning. She would go that evening, after she called her brother. It wasn't right to let him worry. He was stressed enough.

"Inuyasha, are you sure you don't want a hat?" she asked. Inuyasha crossed his arms in an argumentative position.

"No way, those things look stupid," he said. Kagome sighed and shook her head. Inuyasha had to admit that even though cowboy hats looked ridiculous on him, that white one looked on her looked cute.

"You sure you want to do this?" she asked skeptically. Inuyasha scoffed.

"Yes, I'm sure. Now let's go do this cattle drive thing," he said, walking up next to her. She sighed.

"Inuyasha, I already told you I don't raise cattle. I'm a horse breeder." They started walking towards the stables.

"Why not?"

"Because..." Kagome mumbled.

"`Cause why?" Inuyasha asked, smirking.

"Because they scare me, okay!!"

"What?" he exclaimed, laughing hysterically. "Why?" Kagome looked at him with an annoyed expressions, hands on her hips.

"They moo very loudly!! I don't like it."

"So I suppose if Naraku ever locked you in a room with possessed cattle, you'd totally freak out," Kagome blinked and gave her mate a blank stare.

"Yeah, now I have a new nightmare to dream about every other night, thanks a lot Inuyasha," she said, pushed him to the ground, and walked off to the stable. He grinned and ran to catch up with the girl.

"I've raised five of these horses myself," Kagome stated, handing Inuyasha a saddle. "They should be tame enough for you to ride easily enough." Inuyasha looked around the stable.

"How are we supposed ride, if they're aren't any horses?" he asked, nodding towards the empty stables. Kagome smirked, and led him back outside. She placed two fingers in her mouth and whistled a specific pattern. Two horses came galloping across the plains. One was the white horse that he had seen her call yesterday, the other was a beautiful black one. The white steed came directly to Kagome's side and nuzzled her neck. Obviously, he was her horse, the one she rode all the time.

"This is Niju," she told Inuyasha, petting the horse's neck. "He's the first horse I ever tamed." She then took the saddle from his hands and placed it on the black horse's back. She placed the reins in Inuyasha's hand. "And this is Tal, you can stake a claim on him if you'd like. Miroku has one on a brown horse named Aleu."

She then mounted Niju with natural grace from years of practice. Inuyasha followed her movements and mounted a little awkwardly. She quickly explained the basics of riding before they took off into the fields.

After about fifteen minutes, a herd of horses could be seen accumulated among a small watering hole. Kagome signaled for Niju to stop and led him down for a drink. Inuyasha did not have so much luck. Tal ran straight for the watering hole and stopped abruptly at the edge, causing the poor half demon to go flying into the water. Kagome laughed and kneeled down as he sat in the knee deep pond.

"Nice form," she said, grinning immensely. "I `specially loved the dismount." Inuyasha growled.

"Yeah, yeah," then he smirked and held out his hand. "So, you gonna help me up?" Kagome grabbed his hand, he immediately yanked her backwards into the water so she sat next to him.

"Oh, it's on now," she said as she started splashing him. He laughed, picked her up in his arms, and threw her to the middle of the water where it was deepest.

"You don't want to mess with me, kid," he said.

"Oh yeah, try me." And the biggest water war began.

(A/N: So what do you think? Tell me!!!!!!009)