InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Half ❯ Chapter Thirteen ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(A/N: This whole disclaimer thing seems pointless to me...009)

Chapter Thirteen

Kagome sighed as she sank deeper into the soft, leather couch. Inuyasha had his head resting on her lap, his sore legs hanging over the arm rest. Hours of horseback riding had obviously taken it's toll on the poor half demon. He reached over to the side table and handed Kagome the cordless phone.

"Call them," he said firmly as he closed his eyes. Kagome just grinned and shook her head as she dialed the number. It was answered on the second ring.

"Hello?" came Miroku's voice.

"Hey, Roku," Kagome said softly.

"Kagome. Oh thank God. Do you have any idea how worried I've been?" Kagome laughed lightly.

"Don't even go there. You knew where I was, or else you wouldn't have told Inuyasha where to look."

"Well, still. You shouldn't always run off on a whim like that. It scares the heck outta me."

"I'm sorry."

"S'okay. So I take it Inuyasha has found you at the ranch then?"

"Yep," Kagome replied, closing her eyes and leaning her head against the back of the couch. Inuyasha reached up and held her small hand gently in his clawed one, rubbing the back of her palm with his thumb.

"So how does he like it out there?" Kagome handed Inuyasha the phone, knowing full well with his demon hearing he was listening to the conversation perfectly.

"I don't think Tal likes me very much." Inuyasha said as Kagome smirked.

"Knocked you off a couple times, huh? Well, don't worry. Aleu did the exact same thing to me my first time." Inuyasha just sighed and handed the phone back to Kagome before shutting his eyes once again.

"Hey, Miroku. You should bring Sango out here sometime. You know, let her ride one of the horses." Kagome said thoughtfully.

"Hmm...You know. We could always give her Nava." Miroku replied mischievously. Kagome's eyes widened and she raised an eyebrow.

"Nava?! That temperamental, little thing? I don't know Miroku, she can get pretty moody."

"Exactly. She would match Sango's personality perfectly....Ow-Sango!!" Kagome giggled as Inuyasha snickered, still holding her left hand.

"So...Miroku," Kagome said slyly. "You got Sango to stay in the same room with you...alone? What'cha have to do? Bribe her?"

"Very funny, sis. Very funny. You know that I'm not that much of a pervert."

"Whatever you say, bro. Whatever you say."

"You amount of faith is so encouraging." Miroku drawled sarcastically.

"Hey, hey. When it comes to you, I most likely believe the latter of the two."

"This is a cold family," he muttered. "Anyway, when are you two coming back to New York?" Kagome stayed silent for a few seconds.

"Soon."

"Alright, be careful. Love you."

"Love you too. Bye."

"Bye" She hung up the phone and stared at the floor, deep in thought. Inuyasha opened his eyes and gave her a curious look, which she didn't notice. He stood up and lifted Kagome effortlessly. He then took her spot on the couch, his back resting against the arm rest and pulled the girl into his lap. He enveloped her in his arms and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"You're not ready to go back?" he asked softly. Kagome shook her head.

"I'm not going back to New York until I find out why Naraku wanted me alone in Colorado. You should go back without me, I'm not going to ask you stay. It's not fair to you." Inuyasha tightened his grip on her waist.

"No, I'm staying right here with you. I promised that I wouldn't let you deal with this problem on your own anymore remember. I'm not going anywhere you aren't." He said firmly as he gave a playful tug on the gold medallion and kissed his mark on her neck.

"All right, but don't blame me if you get bored...or broken," she added with a laugh. Inuyasha scowled and tickled her side. He smirked when she doubled over at the feeling, clutching her stomach, protectively.

"I swear," he said. "I think you've trained that horse to despise me, kid."

"Uh-uh" She said, shooting him a challenging look.

"Uh-huh"

"Uh-uh" He gently grabbed her chin in his hand and pulled her forehead against his.

"Uh-huh," he whispered and pressed her lips against his own. She wrapped her arms around her neck and leaned into the kiss. Inuyasha ran one of his hands through her long, silky hair and he crushed her body against his with his other arm, deepening the kiss. When they parted, Inuyasha lowered himself farther into the seat so that his head rested against the arm rest. He wrapped both his arms around Kagome's waist and pulled her down so that she was laying on top of his chest.

"What are you doing?" Kagome asked, laughing softly. He nuzzled her neck and closed his eyes.

"I'm tired and I'm too sore to move up to the bed," he said. Kagome rolled her eyes and smiled as she pulled down a navy blue blanket that was resting on the back of the couch. Soon Inuyasha could hear the sound of her steady breathing as she fell asleep. He smiled and kissed the top of her head before falling into his own dream world.


A week had passed and still there was no sign of Naraku anywhere. Kagome was starting to get frustrated, she hated feeling vunerable. But on the bright side, she got to spend time on her beloved ranch which she had ignored for the past two years. She loved being in the sun and feeling the wind rush by as she rode Niju through the lands. Except for today.

The sky was dark and foreboding, odd seeing as it was ten in the morning. It had been down pouring since early dawn and did not show any signs of letting up. Inuyasha was wandering around the large house, making sure that they would be prepared incase of a black out or a flood which was common in the low valley areas.

There was bottled water in the kitchen, a pile of wood next to the fire place, and there were flashlights and candles in every room. Now there was only one thing missing. Inuyasha was starting to get worried as looked once again out the front window to see nothing but rain, rain, and more rain.

Kagome had been out in the middle of the storm for the past hour and half, trying to round up all the horses into the stable. She was sure that the land was going to flood and she didn't want them all to be washed away. The stable and the house were on higher ground so a flood wouldn't reach them, but the watering holes, streams, and other places where the horses usually resided were easy prey for the rushing waters. She said that riding was much harder in harsh weather, let alone control an entire herd, so she had him stay at the ranch.

Finally, the back door opened, revealing a sopping wet half-vamp who was grinning wildly. Her jeans and white shirt clung to her small frame as the denim jacket hung heavily on her shoulders. Her boots were covered in mud and the brim of hat inhabited a small pool of rain water. All of her clothes were soaked through, dripping puddles of water all over the floor. All in all, her appearance was quite comical, and Inuyasha couldn't help but laugh.

"You look terrible," he said. Kagome smiled.

"I'm sure I do. It's nuts there, we'll be lucky if a tornado doesn't form in those winds."

"So, did you find all your horses?" Inuyasha asked as he carefully took off her hat and poured the water into the sink.

"Yep, they're all fine."

"Good, now go upstairs and take a shower. You're covered in mud." Kagome scowled playfully.

"What? I don't get a hug first?" He laughed.

"Not like that you don't."

"Okay, okay. Don't turn into Miroku on me." she said as she pulled off her boots, threw them outside, and ran upstairs to jump into the warm shower. Fifteen minutes later she came back downstairs dressed in a light, white, long-sleeved shirt with a blue stripe running down each sleeve and baggy blue jeans. Her hair was pulled into a high ponytail and the gold medallion shimmered in the light from the fireplace.

"Okay, now I can hug you," Inuyasha stated as he gathered the girl in his arms and walked over to the leather couch in the entertainment room. Kagome rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes.

"So, what do you want to do now?" she asked.

"Um...you wanna watch a movie?" Kagome shrugged.

"Sure, you pick." she said with a yawn as she moved off of Inuyasha's lap to the other side of the couch. Inuyasha walked over to the entertainment center and looked through the impressive collection of dvds. They were all action, horror, and comedy movies, not one chick flick much to his relief.

He pulled out "A Ghost in the Darkness" and put the disk in the player. Soon, they were sitting together, his mate in his arms, watching the screen intently as lightning and thunder filled the sky, providing excellent coverage for a pair of glowing red eyes and numerous black shadows.

(A/N: Okay, that was a bit short, but I really wanted to get this chapter out before I get shipped off to Iowa for my cousin's wedding. I'll update it soon, I promise.