InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Open Your Eyes ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When she awoke, there was a dim feeling that today would be exactly like every other day. A trip to school confirmed that.
 
….You'd think I'd be used to it, by now…, Kagome thought as she sat on the bus, trying to drown out all the other incessant chatter of kids, both younger and older but identical in their conversations of dribble.
 
Days like these were often, but she oddly savored these precious moments distracting her from her real problems, the other children's chatter filling up the emptiness that suffocated her at home. School was always the same, but home unpredictable.
 
She got off the bus and stood at the bottom of her driveway. There were exactly 167 steps from her bus stop to her house. This was a game that Kagome played often. Anytime she went under 167, game over. You're dead. This was crucial somehow. Counting had become another stability (one of few) in her life. Numbers don't lie.
 
`1….2….3….4…' She thought of all the people there seemed to be at school today. Too many to count. The game had gotten old. She could feel a myriad of different stares today, and that was enough. Too much.
 
Even her friends had seemed too much, which was laughable because she only had a few to speak of. Friends were dear but clueless, preoccupied with normal teenage problems. She didn't blame them, there isn't a lot to in her life that is understandable.
 
`158…159….160….161…' There had been one stare in particular today that felt more piercing than usual, but she just chalked it up to paranoia, as everyone's eyes felt constant like pinpricks stabbing her relentlessly as she walked up and down the halls.
 
But she couldn't ignore the shiver that accompanied her today. This was an undeniably bad sign.
 
`162…163…164…165.' She looked down and her doormat which greeted a blotched and dirty `Welcome' printed crookedly across the surface. The doorknob creaked and the door parted to show her mother sitting at the table, one knee shaking, staring at the rotting milk in a cup and the partially eaten pancake with a blank grimace on her face.
 
Kagome tried quietly to walk past the kitchen, trying to maintain a nonchalant composure when a break in the silence and a cool breeze of air zipped by her ear. She turned to her left and saw a small knife on the floor, then looked to her right and saw her mother, her face distorted with a nameless fury and poised for hysteria.
 
She lost. Game over.
 
 
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-00-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: I just edited this whole thing and I know it's not perfect but I still hope you like it. It's my first fanfic but I hope it won't be vomiting bad. I'm shooting for I-may-have-eaten-old-chinese-food-bad. Um, but thanks for reading anyway and I hope you like it :D
 
 
~Crystal