InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Palm of Your Hand ❯ No One Knows ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is the property of Rumiko Takahashi, not me. I'm just having fun and making no money doing it.

No One Knows

<<>><<>><<>>

*Bzzzzt* *Bzzzzt* *Bzzzzt*

InuYasha looked down from his computer monitor to the vibrating phone lying on his desk.

'Sesshoumaru', the display read.

He touched the red circle on the screen and flipped it over. He had told his brother repeatedly that he didn't answer calls before eight A.M.

Seconds later, the phone resumed it's vibrations.

*Bzzzzt* *Bzzzzt* *Bzzzzt*

He huffed before snatching it up to his face. "What?" he barked into the device.

"Stop declining my calls." his brother said flatly.

"Okay." InuYasha said before touching the red circle again to end the call. He smirked to himself.

*Bzzzzt* *Bzzzzt* *Bzzzzt*

"Yeah?" he answered casually.

"Why did you hang up?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were done talking." InuYasha said feigning innocence.

He heard a small, exasperated sigh come through the phone.

"I sincerely hope you show clients and employees more respect than you show me." Sesshoumaru said.

"Don't worry, you're the only one I have no respect for." InuYasha retorted.

Sesshoumaru never took his brother's insults to heart. In fact he was quite used to InuYasha's odd brand of affection. Long passed were the days of their rivalry, and he knew that his brother had forgiven him for his past indiscretions. While their banter may seem contemptuous to someone on the outside, the half-siblings did respect one another. Truth be told, when either of them needed help, the other was the first person to whom they would turn.

"Come to my office. I have some business matters I wish to discuss with you." Sesshomaru demanded.

"I'm busy right now." InuYasha lied, as he leaned back in his desk chair, twirling his pen between the fingers of his free hand like a baton. "I'll be up later."

"No, you will 'be up' now." Sesshoumaru said sternly. "I am not going to be in the office this afternoon. Whatever you are doing now can wait." His tone brooked no argument.

InuYasha huffed. "Fine."

He ended the call and slipped his phone into his breast pocket, despite the fact that he had previously lost two of his last three phones to the toilet by using said pocket. He would call it consistency, but most people just called it stubbornness.

<<>>

InuYasha walked the few blocks from his apartment to the Cellsync building, being particularly vigilant while crossing each side street. While being hit by a car didn't do all that much damage to him, it did a lot of damage to the car. And seeing someone pull themselves out of a busted windshield and walk away did tend to draw unwanted attention. InuYasha had learned this from experience, much to his brother's chagrin.

He entered the lobby of the building with a scowl on his face. He wasn't really in a bad mood, but he had recently discovered that the ditzy receptionist at the front desk really wanted in his pants, and he found it best not to engage her. He had tried being polite, but she was relentless. Being rude was his best chance at avoiding her advances.

"Good morning, Mr. Takahashi!" she chirped brightly.

InuYasha just gave a small nod without making eye contact as he continued on toward the elevators.

He reached into his back right pocket to retrieve his access card. 'Dammit!' He thought to himself as he patted down the rest of the empty pockets of his jeans. He had forgotten his wallet at home. He contemplated going all the way back to his apartment to get it rather than having to ask 'desk girl' for help. Ultimately he conceded.

"Oi, 'Desk girl'." he addressed her. "Can you open these elevators? I don't have my card on me."

"Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Takahashi, but Mr. Takahashi says we're not to use our cards for other employees under any circumstances." she squeaked, doe-eyed.

InuYasha just blinked slowly at her, his face expressionless.

"Tell you what," he leaned over the desk on his elbows. "why don't you just call up Mr. Takahashi. Ask him if it would be okay just this once." he said to her slowly and patronizingly. He knew Sesshomaru's golden rule for all employees. Never call him unless it's a matter of utmost urgency and importance. This rule superceded all other rules. He watched as 'desk girl' looked frantically from him to the phone and back. Her brain appeared to be caught in some sort of infinite loop. Just then, a more intelligent employee entered the building and saved the girl from her dilemma. It was Sesshomaru's personal assistant Shin. The guy was way too energetic for this early in the morning.

"Takahashi-san! Good morning!" Shin called out, waving at him and almost dropping the tray of coffee he was carrying. "Forgot your access card again?" he said, smiling ear-to-ear.

"Mornin' Shin." InuYasha greeted back. "I don't know why we need these stupid cards, anyways." he complained. "Is one of these mine?" he asked. Motioning towards the coffee.

Shin nodded and held out the tray as InuYasha pulled a cup from the holder. "You know your brother," he said, swiping his access card. "He just likes his privacy."

"Keh! He just likes to feel important." InuYasha corrected. Shin chuckled as they stepped into the elevators.

'I wonder if Sesshomaru pays Shin to smile at people for him.' InuYasha mused as they stood together in the ascending elevator; the short, stocky, middle-aged assistant's smile never fading.

The doors slid open and the two men stepped out.

"Good morning, Takahashi-san." the receptionist greeted in a slow, monotone voice, lifting her hand, palm up in the direction of Sesshomaru's office. "You may enter."

'Stepford receptionist...' InuYasha thought to himself as he crossed the lobby.

He nodded and grabbed a second coffee as he made his way into the office, kicking the door closed behind him. "Have a seat." Sesshomaru began, without looking up from his computer screen.

"Your new receptionist is creepy." InuYasha said quietly as he sat the coffee down and plopped into one of the chairs facing his brother's desk.

"She's efficient," Sesshomaru acknowledged, "and she no doubt just heard you call her 'creepy'. She's a bat youkai."

InuYasha actually looked a little sheepish. "I couldn't tell. She just smells like peaches."

"She eats a lot of peaches." Sesshomaru said, much too seriously. He was clearly oblivious of the double entendre.

InuYasha snorted as he stifled the urge to laugh, and Sesshomaru turned from his computer to look him up and down appraisingly.

"I appreciated you taking the time to look professional for our meeting." Sesshomaru said facetiously.

InuYasha was wearing a t-shirt and jeans, both of which would most likely be refused by a charity donation bin. It was a stark contrast to Sesshomaru's handmade, three-piece suit which had no doubt cost him a minimum of one million yen.

"Give me more notice next time and I'll wear a fucking ball gown." InuYasha quipped. "What do you want, anyway?"

Sesshomaru cut right to the chase. "Our American headquarters is due for an equipment upgrade. It's a big job, but I don't believe it will take more than six to eight weeks to complete. I've already ordered the computers, two hundred fifty in total, to be delivered in three weeks. I'll order the new servers after I hear your assessment."

"And you're sending me instead of just contracting someone local? Why?" InuYasha questioned.

"I am contracting a local company to do the work, but they will be answering to you. I want someone that I know and can trust to oversee this job." Sesshomaru answered.

"You mean you want someone who can spy on your son to do this job." InuYasha retorted.

"I assure you that has nothing to do with my decision." Sesshomaru said before taking a sip of his coffee.

"Uh, yeah. Okay. Sure." InuYasha said mockingly, rolling his eyes.

Sesshomaru ignored him. "You'll be leaving in two weeks. I have already arranged for your accommodations. You'll be staying in a furnished apartment within walking distance of headquarters."

InuYasha nodded. "I want six weeks vacation when I get back." he said bluntly.

"Very well." Sesshomaru agreed, turning back to his computer screen to show that the meeting was over. InuYasha stood, taking this as his cue to leave.

"And I'll be sure to look Ru up while I'm there. See what he's up to..." InuYasha added casually before turning toward the door. Just before he exited the office he felt his phone vibrate against his chest. It was a text from his sister-in-law inviting him to dinner. "I just got a text from your mate." InuYasha said with a smirk.

"Oh? And what does she say?" Sesshomaru asked.

"She said, 'Hey baby, what are you wearing?'" InuYasha jibed.

Sesshomaru didn't react. InuYasha had very few jokes that his brother hadn't heard before.

"She's inviting me to dinner with you guys tonight." InuYasha said.

Sesshomaru nodded. "If you decide to join us please wear something more appropriate."

"Okay, Dad." InuYasha grumbled, rolling his eyes before walking out the door.

<<>>

InuYasha thought about the project the entire walk home. He didn't really want to do it, to be honest, but he loved that he could get a nice vacation out of it. He hated travelling out of the country. He hated being outside of his comfort zone. He hated sleeping in a strange bed that smelled of a thousand other people. He sighed internally. 'If I don't stop overthinking, I'm gonna talk myself out of it.' He suddenly found himself standing at his door, so lost in thought he didn't even remember how he got there. 'That's a good way to get my ass run over.'

He decided to go ahead and text Ru now. They hadn't seen each other since the last time Ru came home for a visit over three years ago, and he figured giving him a heads up might help relieve some of the awkwardness.

InuYasha typed a message:

"I'm going to be working on a project at the American headquarters in a couple weeks. Maybe we can get together and catch up while I'm in town."

Send.

<<>>

*Bing-bong*

Kagome picked up her phone from the arm of the sofa and looked at the screen. "Wasn't me." she said, sliding her phone onto the coffee table.

Ru reached into his hip pocket and pulled out his phone. Looking at the text notification. 'What does he want?' he thought to himself upon seeing his uncle's name. Momentarily worried that something bad might have happened, although he didn't show it. He opened the message.

"I'm going to be working on a project at the American headquarters in a couple weeks. Maybe we can get together and catch up while I'm in town."

Kagome watched Ru's face as he studied the screen. "Who is it?" she said as she paused the TV. Ru rarely ever received texts.

"It's my uncle. Says he's gonna be in town in a couple weeks." Ru said as he typed a response.

"Who is this?"

Send.

Ru smirked to himself.

"You know who this is you little prick." came InuYasha's reply.

Ru chuckled.

"Just call me when you get here."

Send.

"So are you going to see him while he's here?" Kagome asked.

"Probably." Ru didn't elaborate.

"Am I finally going to meet someone from your family?" Kagome asked smiling, clasping her hands together and trying not to bounce in excitement.

"Not if you make a big deal about it, you're not."

She immediately deflated, slouching back into the couch and kicking up her legs, crossing them on the table. "That's cool. Whatever." she said, acting theatrically chill.

He looked her up and down. "Nevermind, I change my answer to 'no'." Ru chuckled.

"Jerk!" she yelled as she punched his arm playfully.

"Okay, you can meet him, but he's strictly 'off limits'." Ru said sternly.

"Off limits?" she repeated slowly, furrowing her brow in confusion.

"Yeah, off limits...as in don't fuck him." he clarified.

Kagome gasped and her mouth remained open, genuine hurt and indignation clearly written on her face. "Do you really think so little of me?" she said dejectedly.

"I..I didn't mean to come off like that." Ru sputtered, trying desperately to redeem himself. "What I meant was, I just know your type." Kagome's frown deepened at his words. He was just making the situation even worse. As he tried to gather his thoughts, he shook his head and huffed in frustration. "I don't mean your type, I mean, he's like the type of guy you usually go for. You know I didn't mean to insinuate anything about your character. When you meet him I think you'll understand what I'm saying..." He was floundering and she was giving him the cold shoulder. His explanations were not helping at all. He decided to cut his losses and just apologize. "I'm sorry I said that…"

She smiled wryly and patted his arm. "It's okay, Ru. I forgive you." She was still sulking, but he knew she would forget about the unintentional insult eventually.

"Well, work time." She slapped her hands down on her thighs and let out a long sigh before standing from the sofa. Ru stood up with her and grabbed her, pulling her to him in a tight hug. "Don't be mad at me." he pouted.

Kagome wrapped her arms around him in return. "I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at myself." She pulled back to look up at him.

"Kagome, I swear I didn't mean anything by it. I think you're a good girl." he sounded a little patronizing, but what the hell.

"I know you do, Ru. It's really okay. I'm not mad, but I actually do have to go to work now."

"Okay." Ru said, planting a kiss on her forehead and releasing her. "Love you. Be safe."

"I will," she smiled. "Love you too." she called back before grabbing her purse and heading out the door.

<<>>

Kagome hated working at the bar. If it wasn't for the fact that she made significantly more money there, she would quit and go full time at the bakery in a heartbeat. She just got tired of dealing with the people. Sure, there were plenty of decent customers, but there were also plenty of condescending assholes and horny drunks.

Kagome set to work, just as she did every work night. The first hour went by calmly and she thought to herself how nice it was to have a relaxed night at work for once. She immediately regretted that jinxing thought when a large group of rambunctious frat boys came barrelling in the front door, heading straight for her section. She groaned as she contemplated faking an illness. Of all the different groups of people she waited on, college guys were the worst. They were rude, loud and obnoxious, and worst of all, notoriously bad tippers. Steeling her nerves for the almost guaranteed impending sexual harassment, Kagome walked over to the long line of tables the boys had pushed together in her assigned section. There were thirteen of them in total. 'Lucky me.' she thought, pun intended. She put on her best fake smile as she approached the table.

She introduced herself and asked them what they would like.

"It's this guy right here's twenty-first birthday!" one of the douchiest looking boys exclaimed while ruffling his buddies shaggy blond hair. "That means he drinks free right?"

She had to fight the urge to roll her eyes. 'That's real original.'

"Only if you're paying." she quipped.

The table let out a loud burst of laughter that was disproportionate to the cheesy joke.

"So," Kagome said to the birthday boy. "What can I get you and can I see your I.D?" The guy looked like a teenager.

"Sure," he pulled out his wallet, fumbling to remove his driver license. "And I'll just have a beer I guess." He seemed nice enough. Actually, he was kind of cute.

She took the rest of their orders and thankfully the night didn't turn out nearly as bad as she had anticipated. None of them got drunk, and the only drinks they ordered were pitchers of beer. She could tell they were trying to set her up with the birthday boy, who's name, she learned, was Sam. He seemed interested, but was clearly too shy to ask her out. When the group of guys finally left the bar, he had approached her and told her it was a pleasure meeting her. She was sure he was going to ask her out, but was actually relieved when he didn't. She would have turned him down. Especially after Ru's little comment earlier…

When she went to collect the receipts, though, she found that he, or one of his friends had written his phone number on a napkin. She stood there, contemplating for a few moments, before folding the napkin and tucking it into her apron.

-

-

-

-

<<>>

A/N:

Hope you had a Merry Christmas, and big thanks to all who read and review. It's an honor, and your comments always make my day. Happy New Year!

For auld lang syne,

StoatsandWeasels