InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Palm of Your Hand ❯ All These Things That I've Done ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is the property of Rumiko Takahashi, not me. I'm just having fun and making no money doing it.

All These Things That I've Done

It had been over a week since Kagome's encounter with Sam, the baby-faced birthday boy. He really wasn't her type. He was very blond, and very shy, and kind of wimpy, and for some reason she really wanted to go out with him. `Gods, how bored am I.' she thought as she picked up the napkin from her dresser. `This is stupid.' She crumpled the phone number emblazoned napkin and tossed it into the garbage. `There. That solves that problem.' she nodded confidently.

She turned toward the closet and got dressed in her work clothes. All the while casting sideways glances at the deceptively innocent looking ball of rubbish sitting in the garbage pail by her bed. As she exited the bedroom she hesitated. Peeking over her shoulder at the hated object. `No, Kagome. You're better than this.' She took one step forward, then backpedaled two. `Dammit!' she mentally cursed, balling her hands into fists. She whirled back into the room and grabbed phone number from the garbage. `Fuck you, napkin.'

She smoothed it, and folded it and placed it in her purse.

<<>>

*Bing-bong*

Ru fished his chiming phone from his pocket. It was a text from InuYasha.

“My flight is scheduled to arrive at 5 AM Sunday. Do you think you can give me a lift?”

Ru typed a response.

“How much do you weigh?”

Send.

“Why is that important?”

Ru sighed and rolled his eyes. 'Idiot.'

“Nevermind. It was a joke. You ruined it. I'll see you Sunday morning.”

Send.

“Thanks. If anything changes I'll let you know.”

Ru slipped his phone back into his pocket. He was actually kind of excited to see his uncle. The two of them had always been close friends before Ru had moved away. With all those sisters, InuYasha was the only person in the family he could ever really relate to. They, being the only two men in the family besides Sesshomaru, who didn't really count, seeing as how he couldn't really relate to anyone. In all honesty he actually missed his uncle, although he would never admit to such a thing out loud. In fact, if he dared to ever be honest with himself, he would admit that he missed them all.

<<>>

Kagome sat in a booth during her break, holding the phone number napkin in one hand, and nervously flipping her cell phone on the table with the other. `Why am I doing this?' she asked herself mentally. `I'm not even interested in this guy.' Maybe that was the answer. He wasn't the type of guy she typically went for. Maybe deep down she thought that someone different might equal something exciting, and she wanted to find out for herself.

She was just restless. Bored. Dissatisfied. Utterly disenchanted with life in general. She had long ago accepted that her life was no longer full of action and adventure, but her acceptance did nothing to quell her longing. Nothing excited her anymore. 'Maybe I should just knock over a bank.' she mused. She hadn't been out with anyone in a while. Not that she had been out with that many guys to begin with, but there had been a few, and they all had one thing in common. One glaring flaw that she couldn't seem to look past. They all weren't him. She had no delusions that this guy was going to turn out to be some knight in shining armor. He was just there, and he was different, and he had a pulse, and she was so bored.

'Ugh.' She leaned her head back against the booth and sighed. `What else do I have to do? Sit on my ass watching boring ass baseball with Ru?' she lifted the phone and dialed the number. It rang several times and went to voicemail. `Damn. I hate voicemail.'

After the beep she began leaving a message. “Hey Sam, this is Kagome, umm, the waitress from your birthday. I was just calling to see if you wanted to hang out sometime. If you do just give me a call back, if not, that's cool too. Umm...alright, bye.”

`Damn awkward voicemail.' She turned her phone back to silent and returned to work.

-

After her shift at the bar she checked her phone again and saw that she had a voicemail from Sam. He wanted to go out with her Saturday night. It was currently three A.M. so she held off calling to confirm until after her shift at the bakery. On her walk home she called and set up a dinner date for seven-thirty Saturday evening.

<<>>

Kagome gave herself another once over in the mirror before heading out the door. She was meeting Sam at the restaurant, rather than having him pick her up. She couldn't risk him meeting Ru before their date. She'd had several dates subjected to his relentless teasing, and lesser men didn't survive. That's why she was keeping Sam as far away from him as possible.

As she exited her bedroom, she was met with the image of Ru sitting on a high stool in front of his easel, his knees and elbows bent, feet resting on the cross spindles. He was looking at his current painting while playing some sort of tiny, high pitched guitar. She couldn't help but think he looked like a giant and she had to stifle the urge to giggle.

He let out an obnoxiously loud wolf whistle as he lowered the instrument to his lap. “Somebody's got a date!” he commented.

“How did you know? I'm not even that dressed up.” she asked him. She was wearing a pair of light wash skinny jeans with tan suede ankle booties, and a loose fitting, cream colored sheer button up blouse with a navy camisole. All of this was worn over black lace bra and panties that she didn't remember intentionally matching.

“`Cause you look smoking hot, that's why. And you don't have to be dressed up for me to know you have a date. You've got your lips all glossed up, and those jeans might as well have a sign that says 'come in, we're open'." he teased her.

"You're an ass." she huffed, shaking her head.

"I'm just messing with you Kagome. If you didn't have a date you'd be in your p.j.'s by now.” he chuckled.

She walked up to him and reached out and plucked a string on the instrument. "What is this, anyway?"

"It's a mandolin. I heard a street performer playing one the other day and I just thought it sounded like this painting, so I bought one."

Kagome glanced at the painting, not really understanding how something could look like a sound. Actually, to her the painting didn't really look like much of anything at all.

"I thought a mandolin was something you sliced pickles with." she said. "You mean you just started playing it and you're already this good?"

He just shrugged. "I guess so."

She rolled her eyes. "People like you sicken me." she said with mock disgust. "I took piano lessons as a kid for like five years, and I can't play chopsticks."

"Don't try to measure up to me, Kagome. You'll only be found wanting." he said cheekily.

Her response was to simply give him an impassive stare.

He grinned. “I can't believe you have a date, though. I thought for sure you'd given up on men.”

“I have, I'm just bored.” she said casually.

“Kagome, that's terrible!” he laughed. “Does your date know you are just using him for entertainment.”

Again, Ru, I'm not using him for entertainment, just friendship.”

“Ahhh...I see now. So the truth comes out. It is me who you are bored with.” he crossed his arms and turned away from her in mock offense.

“No comment.” she smiled innocently as she turned toward the door. “I'm leaving. I'll see you tonight.” she said as she grabbed her purse. “Bye.”

“Bye." he returned. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do.”

“If I took that advice, I wouldn't be going on a date at all.” she quipped, sticking her tongue out at him as she slipped out the door.

<<>>

Kagome walked to the chosen restaurant. She purposely picked a place that was within comfortable walking distance of her apartment. She didn't want to pay a cab and she didn't have a driver's license...or a car for that matter. `Hope he likes sushi.' she thought to herself as she opened the door. He was already there waiting for her when she arrived, all smiles. They made small talk and ate sushi. He wasn't all that interesting, but he was nice and cute. Afterwards, they went for ice cream and a walk. It wasn't exciting, but it was better than baseball.

She was still bored.

He walked her back to her apartment and gave her a chaste goodnight kiss at the door.

Kagome peeked her head inside and scanned the room. Ru wasn't home. Then she made her first bad decision of the night. “Would you like to come in?” she asked him casually. 'What am I doing?!'

“Sure.” he said, surprise and nervousness in his voice. 'Dammit!'

They entered the apartment and Kagome turned on the TV. “Would you like some tea or coffee or something?” she asked. 'Get it together, Higurashi!'

“No, thanks.”

They sat down together on the sofa, watching reruns of some old American sitcom. That was the last thing she remembered before she suddenly found herself making out with him, straddling his lap as his hands slid up the back of her shirt. She had a passing thought about Ru being right about her, but she dismissed it quickly at the sensation of her shirt being pulled over her head.

-

-

-

-

<<>>

A/N: I didn't intend to post again so fast, but I'm going to be out of town for a few days and figured it'd be kind of shitty of me to make you wait forever for such a short and somewhat uneventful chapter.

Also, some of you might be a little pissed about how this chapter ended, but in the immortal words of Bart Simpson, "Don't have a cow, man."

Cordially,

SW