InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pandora's Box ❯ The Morning After ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Last Time:

Kagome blushed crimson when she told Inuyasha of how she had thought him to be her knight in shining armor, and before Inuyasha could comment the food arrived.

 

 

The Morning After

 

They ate in a companionable silence which drifted on throughout the meal. When they finally came to dessert Inuyasha decided he would try to broach the subject of their confrontation.

 

"Kagome, I think you know I didn't ask you here with the intention of reminiscing. I would like some answers." Inuyasha stated softly but firmly.

 

"Ah, finally the ugly monster rears his head. Down to the nitty-gritty, eh? Can't we finish dessert first?" Kagome teasingly asked.

 

"Why?" Inuyasha questioned looking clearly confused.

 


 

"Because, if I need to make a quick escape, I would like it to be on a full stomach." she smiled at him but apparently he didn't find it that amusing, because he looked just as serious as before. She sighed, damn she was hoping she could at least get dessert in.... `Oh well, worth a try.' she thought wistfully.

 

"Ok, fine, go all serious on me... Shoot." `Now remember,' she told herself, `the right amount of fear, and nervousness and he can't, not believe it... Ok so he might not, but it's not really a lie, it's more of an… under exaggeration...'

 

"When you were in grade ten, and I in grade eleven, what made you so mad that day? Why wouldn't you talk to me? Did I do something wrong?" Inuyasha whispered with so much confusion and hurt in his voice that she found she couldn't lie to him...

 

"Inuyasha, I... I've got to go. I have work in the morning, really early... You know how it is." she finished lamely. Ok so she wouldn't lie to him, but that didn't mean she would confess the truth. That she had secretly loved him in grade ten and had been his friend because it was the only way to stay close to him. Each day hoping he might realize, and reciprocate those feelings, for naught... But that was over now, she had healed, and she really did have to go.

 

So before he could say anything else she got up, paid half approximately, and rushed away, leaving a flustered, somewhat annoyed Inuyasha in her midst. `If she thinks I'm done with her she is HIGHLY mistaken.' Inuyasha chuckled mock-evilly to himself.

 

 

When Kagome reached her door she let out her breath in relief. He was too confused to say anything. That was good... Kinda... Kagome looked at her watch, 10:05pm. It was too late to think on it. She had to get home and get some sleep, though Sesshomaru had cut her some slack, it didn't mean she was off the hook. She still had to get up inhumanly early and get to the office. Inuyasha was a nice distraction though... All dolled up in his suit, with a simple maroon silk undershirt, with two buttons undone, showing off his ample tan and his beautifully chiseled chest... `NO!' she berated herself adamantly. Now was definitely not the time to stray down the path of fantasy... Pleasant as it might be, she didn't have time. Also she was currently trying to drive at the moment, as the "nice" van behind her reminded her with a startling honk.


 

As she muttered a few choice words to herself about that "driver", she pulled into her driveway and turned off her car. She rested her head on the wheel and thought about tonight. It had clearly been a fun night out and Inuyasha had known just what to say to make her forget that she was an unknown writer, who worked as a publisher, to cover up the fact that she didn't have enough self confidence to get the books she wrote edited, let alone published. She sighed again as she walked up her front steps and into her house quietly so her house-mate, Sango, wouldn't awaken. Life just wasn't fair.

 

 

Kagome Higurashi's House 2004

 

Kagome was awoken, rudely by the loud, and ANNOYING ringing of her telephone. As she shifted under her blankets, the awful noise came again, causing her to groan in frustration. `So much for sleeping in.' she thought lazily.

 

"Hello?" she croaked into the receiver of her (at the moment) much hated phone.

 

"Well don't you sound sexy!" a voice she immediately recognized, laughed.

 

"INUYASHA! You called me at…" she paused to look at her clock, nearly screaming when she saw it was 5:30… AM! "FIVE-FRIGGIN-THIRTY!! IN THE MORNING NO LESS!" she yelled into the phone at him.

 

"Sorry Kag, but you know how much I miss you." He tried to sweet talk her. It had worked when they were younger so why not now?

 

"Inuyasha Kag. Can't you control you're `urges' until I am fully awake to appreciate you're suck-up attitude?" she replied sarcastically to him. `Figures he'd try and pull one over on me. Well unfortunately for him, I'm not a little girl anymore!' Kagome thought haughtily.

 

"I'm sorry Kag. But I was wondering if I could come over later to hang out and escape work. And yes, I said escape; it feels like it's chasing me! You're the only who can help me! Please Kag… I'm on my knees!" he replied posing his best puppy-dog look even though he knew she couldn't see it.

 

There was a brief pause, and then a defeated sigh and Inuyasha knew he had won. `Step one complete.' He thought proudly.

 

"Ok, but only for a little while. I still have to go to work you know!?" Kagome replied mock-angrily.

 

"KAGOME!" Sango's muffled voice came through the wall, "KEEP IT DOWN WILL YA!?"

 

Kagome winced, "Sorry Sango! Get some rest, I'll be quiet." After her answer she heard a soft thump and smirked as she realized that Sango was already dead to the world… Again.

 

"Grrr… Inuyasha, look what you made me d-," she paused mid-sentence, "Inuyasha Youkai are you LAUGHING at me!?" she demanded after hearing his deep chuckles on the other end of the line.

 

"No…" his laughter slowly bubbled down, to the point where he was able to speak again, "I- erhmm," he cleared his throat, "I was just laughing a my… cat. Yes my cat, she did something hilarious just now." He added with a smirk in his tone.

 

"Inuyasha, I would like to remind you of whose house you will be visiting." Kagome warned.

 

"Who? Sango's?" He stated humorously.

 

"That's it! I'm hanging up! Don't show up here until after 10, lest you wish to fear my wrath!" Kagome slammed the phone down violently, upon hearing Inuyasha's rich laughter once again. She sighed, now she'd have to get up and get ready. It was 7:30 already. She still had to change and clean and cook.

 

 

 

As Kagome walked downstairs finally finished all she needed to do and just finished dressing, her doorbell tinkled joyously telling her Inuyasha had arrived.

 

"Coming." She called to Inuyasha, as she made her way to the door slowly. As she opened it she found him standing there with a single stemmed red rose.

 

Inuyasha caught Kagome's attention on the gift in his hand and presented it to her. When he saw her look questioningly up at him he merely stated, "A beautiful flower, for a beautiful person" He smiled charmingly down at her and kissed the palm of her hand as he handed her the flower.

 

Kagome just blushed and managed to somehow stutter, "Wh-what's the occasion?"

 

"Does a man need an occasion to flatter and bribe his friend?" Inuyasha playful responded with a mock bow in her direction. Which she, in return, curtsied to.

 

"No, I suppose not… Make yourself at home; I'm going to put this in water." She gestured to the rose clutched tightly in her hand, unknowingly pricking the delicate skin on her finger with the sharp thorns. A drop of blood slowly formed and trickled down the rose stem to drop daintily to the floor, creating a small splashing sound. Hearing it splatter, Kagome raised her hand, holding out her finger, as she inspected the damage. `A small cut, nothing big,' she mused to herself, but her thoughts where cut off as she heard Inuyasha begin to slowly walk towards her. When she looked up to find his concerned golden depths upon her she attempted to assuage his concern, but found herself transfixed on his handsome face. Slowly he took the last steps towards her and held up her finger staring at it. Unhurriedly he reached down into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief, which he proceeded to rip into strips and wrap around her finger. She was so enchanted by his eyes that she didn't even notice he had bandaged it until he pulled the last strip of cloth tight, and continued to gingerly hold her hand, as if afraid she might break.

 

Leisurely their faces moved closer together, almost touching.

 

"Kagome…" Inuyasha whispered huskily.