InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Parting ❯ The moonlit path ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The rest of the day past without any major events, and a few hours after Kagome's return the group had found a safe place, started a fire, and one by one they all drifted off into slumber. Inuyasha was attempting to sleep, but he still couldn't shake the foreboding feeling in the back of his mind. Twice he had begun to doze off, but had been jolted rudely awake by terrifying dreams. Dreams in which he heard multiple screams, seen spots of blood, and even saw a flash of Kagome's face in his mind. He kept rolling over and over, trying to calm his restless mind, but to no avail. He felt there was something he had to do.
 
As he pulled himself to a sitting position, his eyes moved slowly over to Kagome, looking peaceful in her own dreams. With a small sigh he leapt next to her in a single bound and shook her shoulder gently. She grumbled softly at first and then her eyes slowly opened, looking at Inuyasha in surprise. “Hmm? What is it?” she said quietly, shaking her head and sitting up.
 
The half demon was silent for a few seconds before answering her. “Just come with me, okay? Please. Don't ask questions.”
 
For once, she obeyed him and rose silently to her feet. She stepped carefully over the sleeping Shippou and looked at Miroku and Sango, also peacefully at rest, their faces a warm red glow from the fire. Inuyasha led her away from the circle and once they were a few feet away said, “Climb on.”
 
Kagome obeyed him once again, hoisting herself onto his back without question and gripping his shoulders firmly. She felt his hands tighten under her knees and then he was off, running as fast as horse yet quiet as a mouse through the trees. The girl had always loved riding on his back. Even when they were headed off to a battle, she still felt exhilarated: the wind whipping over her face, feeling Inuyasha's body running so easily, his muscles shifting perfectly underneath her, his hold on her always secure and safe. Her heart rate quickened as they moved through the night.
 
Finally the pair came to a clearing in the woods. A stream gurgled quietly at the edge of the clearing, and the moonlight shone through the trees, making for a very romantic setting. The only sound besides the flow of water was the chirping of insects and other calls of nighttime animals.
 
Kagome climbed off of Inuyasha carefully and looked around. “Wow…” she whispered, “How'd you find this place?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged nonchalantly. “I could just smell the water, and the parting in the trees. Figured it'd be nice.”
 
She nodded in agreement. “It is, but…” she turned to look at him curiously. “Why did you bring me here?”
 
The half demon didn't answer her right away. Instead he tore his eyes away from her to look up at the twinkling stars, a pensive expression on his face. After a few seconds, he said, “I still can't shake this feeling that something horrible is going to happen. And I feel like there's something I need to do.” He lowered his head to look at the girl, and his ears twitched. “I just wanted to say I…I care about you, Kagome.”
 
She could feel her heart beat race and she had to restrain herself to keep her mouth from falling open and keep her voice steady. She didn't want to throw herself at him. “Well, I guess I already sorta knew that… with you always protecting me… but you know I care about you too, Inuyasha.”
 
He nodded and a half smile lit up his features. He stepped closer to her; his feet hardly making a sound on the soft grass. “Kagome, I…” But he didn't finish his sentence. Instead, he moved even closer to her and reached out to stroke her cheek. His hand then dropped down to cradle her neck, and slowly he brought his face toward hers and sealed her lips with his.
 
Kagome had kissed Inuyasha before in order to keep him from going full demon and losing his mind, but this was different. Very different. And it was amazing. Her eyes immediately closed once his lips were on hers and she reached up to stroke his ears- she didn't know why; it just seemed like it would be the right thing to do at the time. And it was-Inuyasha emitted a low growl at her touch which only heightened the pleasure of the kiss. Kagome felt a wave of passion wash through her, and her movements became more enthusiastic, her tongue slipping past his lips. He welcomed her tongue with his, guiding it carefully around his razor-sharp fangs.
 
The girl wanted more. Her mind was almost lost in a fever of lust, and she found her hand slipping down to his shoulder, beginning to pull down his robe.
 
But Inuyasha stiffened. This didn't feel right-they shouldn't be going this far, not now. His hand came up to grasp hers and pull it away from his shoulder, his mouth still moving perfectly with hers. After a few seconds of bliss, though, he broke away to press his forehead against hers, breathing in her scent eagerly. She always smelled so nice… “Kagome, we shouldn't do this. Not now, okay?” His arms reached around her to hold her in an embrace. “Just like this is fine.”
 
She still didn't argue. She merely closed her eyes and rested her head against his chest, listening to the steady sound of his breathing, feeling completely at peace with the world.
 
They stayed like that for a long, long time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Author's Notes:
 
Well, I'm sensing a bit of out of character-ness for both Inuyasha and Kagome. So, sorry about that. ^^;; I'm also sorry if you were expecting a sex scene and were disappointed. xD Maybe later on, or perhaps in another story.
 
Remember, reviews are loved!