InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pieces of The Sun ❯ The Weight of Winter ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Weight of Winter
She always waited for the winter. Unusual, maybe. She would wait for the first flakes of snow, for the first leaf to fall down, for the birds to retreat. Leaving the shrine sad and lifeless.
It made her happy. The stark white snow looked beautiful only in pictures. Only those wading through its reality would feel the cold bitterness. But she liked it, the silence that surrounded her.
Winter was when he came back.
She had waited many long years, been reincarnated through the centuries. And she had only one goal, to find him.
She had met him once again in this life. When the trees become bare and wilt away into whiteness.
Their love had been foolish, childish, and almost irrational. Their love was traitorous. He tried to find his redemption in her. She searched for the one she had truly loved.
Their love was the winter. Illogical. Non sequitur. But they called it love.
In time, their love had given birth to a daughter and then to a son. Her daughter's laughter was far away, in another time. Her son's happiness, distant from her mind.
But they were not meant to be. They couldn't be together, him and her.
He came back, just once, to glimpse his children. And then he was gone, to return with the next snowfall.
She hears the tinkling of the doorbell. It is time.
She opens the door. He has not changed, though being a shape-shifter.
“Sango.”
“Naraku, welcome back.”