InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pill Poppers Anonymous ❯ Just Like Your Mother ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Oh please. Not again. Fine, fine *grumble* I-don't-own-Inu Yasha-or-anyone-on-the-show. Haha. Done? Good.

ch-san: Well, hello mon champignons. How are all of you? Fine, I hope. I'm well, thanks for asking. Now, some of you are probably thinking "Shut up, you little idget and get on with the bloody fanfic. I want to know who blew up the kitchen." The rest of you are probably asleep at your keyboards. I probably don't care either way. ^_^ Just kidding. I love you all. Honestly. And…………….*evil laugh* I thought up a WONDERFUL little plot twist that will come much later. Muh-hahahahahaha. I love it.

~*~*~*~

Their sneakers squealed as Inu Yasha and Rin skidded to a halt on the tile floor of the kitchen. Well, a more accurate description would be the "once-immaculate, now destroyed" kitchen. It was an absolute mess. In fact, "messy" didn't even come close to how ruined it was. Inu Yasha's jaw dropped. How was he going to explain this to Higurashi-san after she just shoved a new patient onto him? He buried his face in his hands and exhaled slowly. Finally, he found his voice.

"Rin?" he started carefully. "Please tell me that you lied and this wasn't one of my patients' doings." She chewed her bottom lip nervously and shuffled her feet.

"Well, um…no?" she attempted.

"I was being facetious," he hissed.

"Gomen nasai, Inu Yasha! I just wanted you to..."

"Don't be sorry," he mumbled automatically. Rin bowed her head, still gnawing on her bottom lip. "D'you at least know who it was who did this?"

"Ah….euhhh…." she uttered nervously before shaking her head `no'. "But I'll go get a mop and start cleaning," she added.

"It's not your mess t-wait a sec." Inu Yasha halted. His face screwed up as he stared at something between his feet. After analyzing it for a second or two, he picked it up and showed it to Rin. She stared at it too, but didn't get what he was seeing.

"It's a leaf," she said.

"I know it's a leaf, but what's missing, Rin?" he urged. She thought quite hard, brow wrinkling in concentration, before she understood.

"It's still green, even though it's fall!" She exclaimed. "But what does it mean?"

"I'll tell you what it means," he growled. "It means that I'm gonna go have a talk with a certain demonic patient of mine. You stay here and, well, try to get this place as cleaned up as quickly as you can." He shoved the leaf into his pocket and bounded off, leaving Rin to her own devices. She placed her hands on her hips in a very grumpy way and examined the disaster that lay before her. The three microwaves that the kitchen had were completely destroyed. The walls were scorched, burnt food was on every surface imaginable, and various utensils were strewn across the floor. Rin sighed, rolled up her sleeves, and set to work.

~*~

Inu Yasha rapped on his patients' grey door agitatedly. He stopped, but there was no answer. After deciding that knocking again would use up too much energy, he backed up a bit, took a breath, and executed an amazing roundhouse kick that ripped the door clean off its hinges. It fell into the room with a crash, but the patient inside didn't seem to notice. In fact, the patient didn't even seem to be there. Inu Yasha stepped around the fallen door as he slipped into the room. He swept it with his eyes, looking for anything that was out of place. Finally, he noticed something.

"Hm…" he smiled as wandered over to the messy bed. "I never knew that Shippo had a stuffed animal." And indeed, on the bed was a raggedy patchwork bear. To Inu Yasha, it was so cute, so innocent, and so meaningful, that it had to die. He smoothed out a place to sit on the wrinkled sheets, but instead of sitting on the space he made, Inu Yasha leapt up and slammed down on the teddy bear.

"Ah…much more comfortable," he sighed. It was only a matter of seconds before he felt the bear begin to wiggle under him. Soon, a little patchwork head popped out from under his thigh. The bear was crying and screaming "Onigai! Onigai! I give!" Inu Yasha raised an eyebrow at the sobbing bear.

"You what now?" he asked nonchalantly.

"I GIVE!" It wailed.

"Okay then. Little bears should speak up." Inu Yasha stood and let the bear catch its breath, before-"Give it up, Shippo. I know it's you." The bear glared at him, and in a poof of pink smoke, changed back into the cute little fox-demon. Shippo plucked a leaf from his head and placed it in his pocket.

"How'd you know that I was the one who blew up the kitchen?" he asked indignantly.

"I didn't. I was coming to give you your medicine." Inu Yasha stated. Shippo made an odd, squealing noise in the back of his throat and pulled a face that looked like he had just had a live salmon shoved down his shorts. Inu Yasha stared blankly for a second, and then busted up laughing. Shippo glared at his doctor.

"Kuso!" Shippo cursed.

"Y-you shouldn't swear like that…" Inu Yasha chuckled. "And I did know that it was you. I just wanted to see the look on your face if you had given yourself away. So why'd you do it? And don't you dare say `I'm mentally ill', because I've never seen a basket case blow up three microwaves as efficiently as that." Shippo kicked the collapsed door and growled.

"You fix the bloody door and I'll tell you," he grumbled.

"Fair enough," Inu Yasha shrugged and set to work on the steel slab.

"Well, I guess….I don't know. I like blowing things up…and I like wreaking hell on everyone."

"That's not an answer. I'll accept the pyro line, but you gotta give me something else besides `I like pissing people off'."

"Argh! Fine. I…I kinda put voodoo dolls of my grandma in the microwaves as I blew them up."

"Oh. Okay then." Inu Yasha dusted off his hands and stepped back to look at his handiwork.

"What, that's it? Just `okay then'?"

"Yeah. Your grandma's a bit-um…a not very nice person. I can understand. Heck, I'd do the same thing if she was my grandma."

"Really?" Shippo asked in an almost encouraged voice.

"No. I would have killed her. But you're on the right track." Inu Yasha stated. "Actually, just start learning to deal with your grandparents in a little less violent way, bub. I can't keep cleaning up for you." Shippo hopped backwards onto his bed and started kicking his feet in a gentle, but put-out way. He seemed so depressed, until-

"Can I still make voodoo dolls?" he smiled wickedly.

"'Course you can," Inu Yasha grinned and patted the demon on his head. Silently, the doctor turned on his heels, slipping out of the room. As soon as he was down the hall and away from his wing, Inu Yasha heaved a heavy sigh and leaned against the nearest wall. `If my hair wasn't already silver, it'd be grey,' he snorted. What a day it had been for him, yet the idea that it was almost over was a lovely little perk. `Speaking of perk…' he inwardly moaned, for just then, Rin bounded up to him. Uniform splotched and hair a mess, the nurse bowed quickly and hugged Inu Yasha. He jolted back a step in surprise, but held onto her.

"Um, Rin? What do you think you're doing?" he gulped.

"Trying not to fall over from exhaustion, you jerk! Quit moving," she snapped.

"Maybe you should just go lie down in the staff room?" he suggested.

"Maybe you should carry me there," she suggested back.

"Maybe you should walk yourself," he growled.

"Maybe I'll go tell Higurashi that one of your patients blew up the kitchen!" she barked fiercely.

"…..Maybe I'll carry you."

~*~*~*~

A long, drawn-out slurp was the only sound in the whole cafeteria, thanks to Shippo's escapade. Not that Inu Yasha minded. He preferred to drink his tea in silence anyway. He flicked a stray bit of hair out of his eyes, but the strands just fell back into place. He glanced up at his fringe in annoyance. Again he flicked, and again it fell back. `Stay put, dammit,' he growled. Finally, after flinging the heck out of his worthless hair, he grabbed his clipboard and, with the board wedged firmly between his fluffy ears, pinned his fringe back with the clip. He grinned at his reflection in his steamy drink before taking a sip. The fringe problem was dealt with and he could now finish his break in peace…or so he though.

"Um…Inu Yasha?" a timid voice attempted behind him. "Is there a reason as to why you have that clipboard on your head?"

"All the better to stare at myself in my beverage, my dear," he grumbled. The person giggled and started over to his table.

"Been reading Little Red Riding Hood, have we?" Kagome Higurashi laughed as she sat down opposite him. He didn't even bother to look at her, but merely snorted. Her laughter subsided along with her smile. Then, in all seriousness, she said:

"I heard that my mother dumped Walt onto you, and I'd just like to say that that was very cold of her." Inu Yasha's gaze hardened, yet he still didn't meet her gaze. He merely sipped his tea, setting it down a bit harder than he meant to. Finally, he stole a quick glance at her stony face.

"It's not…" he murmured, but he couldn't find an excuse for her mother's rudeness. It was unacceptable, but on the flip side, he didn't want to rag on Dr. Higurashi. After all, Higurashi-san may have been Beelzebub herself, but she was still Kagome's mum and Kagome loved her. So what was he to do? Nothing, that's what. But Kagome seemed insistent.

"Don't you dare make up something about it not being my mom's fault, because it is! She's a mean, evil person to people like you." She stated, but as soon as the words were out of her mouth she wished she could take them back. Inu Yasha raised an eyebrow heatedly, amber eyes ablaze with anger. His next sentence was slow and well-chosen, almost like he was trying to pick out exactly the right words to use.

"What do you mean, `people like me'?" Kagome's hands began to tremble, as did her voice.

"Inu Yasha, that's not what I-you know what I meant, right?"

"What do you mean, `people like me'?!!" he asked again, voice rising in fury.

"Please, I-I didn't mean- EEEK!!" she shrieked as he leaped to his feet and up-ended the Formica table. Inu Yasha's mug shattered, spilling the lukewarm tea, but he didn't seem to notice. His blood was hot with rage. `How dare she?! She's just like her mother! I-she-`

"YOU'RE JUST LIKE YOU'RE MOTHER!" He bellowed, accidentally. Kagome's eyes widened in both fright and agitation.

"You take that back!" she gasped.

"How ironic. I was about to say the same to you," he hissed. She screwed up her face in anger before shouting:

"You worthless, impious, twisted little- I-I can't even THINK of a word that conveys how…how…I never wanted to believe what she said about you. I always thought that she was just overreacting. But now I know! Everything she said was true! MY MOTHER WAS RIGHT ABOUT YOU ALL ALONG, YOU HORRED BAST-" but she never even finished, because just then Kikyo strode into the cafeteria, looking rather affronted.

"Inu Yasha," she began, staring blankly at the two, "You forgot to meet with me about Walter. You know that he is in your care now and yet you neglect him. Please, if you are finished with your… `discussion'… come with me to my office." Inu Yasha stopped growling and unclenched his teeth enough to spit out:

"Fine. Right behind you." Kikyo nodded. He followed her to the cafeteria door and, after shooting Kagome a murderous glance, opened one of the double doors for Kikyo. They slipped into the hall, letting the door fall click into place behind them. As soon as she knew they were far enough away, Kagome let tears of anger pour from her eyes and started cleaning up the mess he they had made during their fight. Soon she came to realize that she wasn't angry at Inu Yasha, but herself. `How could I say such awful things?' she blubbered to herself. `Maybe he's right. Maybe I am as bad as my mother…maybe he's right…' But as she flopped wearily into one of the many chairs in the room, she shook her head. `Even if I'm as bad as he says, I can still change. I can get better…but first I have to apologize. When he comes to give me my meds, I'll just come right out and apologize. Heck, I might even hug him!' With that last thought, she smiled, picked herself up out of the plastic seat, and set off for her room.

~*~*~*~

ch-san: WHEW!!! Finally done. Two things though: One, I'm sorry that it's so short and Two, I'm sorry that it is so late. This past few weeks have been…well… busy. Yeah, yeah, lame excuse I know. Don't hurt me! But I'll TRY to make it up to you. Somehow. Maybe.